"You don't pay road tax" knobend

1235»

Comments

• SamWise1972
    SamWise1972 Posts: 220
    I don't think the van driver's initial pull-out was dangerous, only inconsiderate. The cyclist was clearly up for a row after that, and so was the van driver, they both look bad, the driver worse. If I argued about every piece of inconsiderateness this size that happens in my day, on or off the bike, I'd be heading for a long period of stress related illness.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    QFT and some.

QFT=?

(and TLA is not the correct answer! :) )
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,412
    PBo wrote:
    QFT and some.

QFT=?

(and TLA is not the correct answer! :) )

Quoted For Truth - i.e. "I agree with the above quote"
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • PBo
    ta!
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    here's the latest video from the same bloke which would appear to confirm the view of those of us that laid the blame for the intial incident/confrontation with the rider rather than the van driver albeit that the van driver was out of order once it kicked off

watch out for stationary cars
    FCN = 4
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    here's the latest video from the same bloke which would appear to confirm the view of those of us that laid the blame for the intial incident/confrontation with the rider rather than the van driver albeit that the van driver was out of order once it kicked off

face palm more like ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    MTB-Idle wrote:

I have to admit I laughed a little watching it.

There are many thing I wouldn't have done in that video. Gone up the inside of the HGVs for starters and definantely not on a bend.

I also would have gone around the other side of the Polo given the obstruction.

However, I don't see how that video confirms the accusations of the first.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    it indicates to me that the rider appears to go out looking for trouble
    FCN = 4
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    MTB-Idle wrote:

lol, well that puts things into context...
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    MTB-Idle wrote:

Huge leap I think you're making there.

5 days worth of commuting and there are a mere two seperate incidents, that aren't the same, where the cyclist has had a meeting encounter gone potentially wrong.

Mate, commuting through South london I could clock double that in 10mins.

All it indicates to me is that the cyclist may have poor judgement or he may be in need of advice. Or he was unlucky on both occasions.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Quite - what a doorknob!

Whinced like nobodies business when he undertook those HGVs - for God's sake just let them past and don't mess with them.

As for the queuing traffic - that's either a ride down the centre line or park up and lump it - you can't just squeeze by aimlessly hoping things will be ok - if the cars squeezing you up in that situation it's because there isn't room for a car plus a bike.

No common sense at all - and I'm glad he crashed like that - hopefully it'll make him be a bit more sensible in future.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    MTB-Idle wrote:

Huge leap I think you're making there.

5 days worth of commuting and there are a mere two seperate incidents, that aren't the same, where the cyclist has had a meeting encounter gone potentially wrong.

All it indicates to me is that the cyclist may have poor judgement or he may be in need of advice. Or he was unlucky on both occasions.

It does make him look very inexperienced though.

Watching him cycle up the left of two moving HGVs was cringe-worthy.
  • petejuk
    petejuk Posts: 235
    Classic Vid. Cycling 101- be aware of what's going on around you and pay attention. I hope he's ok, but lesson learnt I think.
  • northstar
    northstar Posts: 407

+1 to that.

He should learn a valuable lesson (and chalk it down to experience) if you're going to look back and berate people, always always keep one (pref both) eye on what's ahead or just mind your own business.
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    JonGinge wrote:
    MTB-Idle wrote:

face palm more like ;)

+1 :mrgreen:

Best example of his poor judgment:posting that vid on the internet!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    rjsterry wrote:
    PBo wrote:
    QFT and some.
    QFT=?

Quoted For Truth - i.e. "I agree with the above quote"

Sometimes. Other times (and the way I use it), "Quoted For Truth" is used when quoting someone in order to preserve (part of) their post in case they subsequently come back and try to edit it to something else.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221
    Agent57 wrote:
    Sometimes. Other times (and the way I use it), "Quoted For Truth" is used when quoting someone in order to preserve (part of) their post in case they subsequently come back and try to edit it to something else.

That seems to be a recent variation, yes. The problem with it is that it is almost always carries completely the opposite meaning to the first usage (in that it is normally applied to text which is not held in respect), but that this is not obvious unless extra context is given.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    itsbruce wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:

That seems to be a recent variation, yes.

Dunno about a recent variation, but you may well be right, relatively speaking. It's the first use of it I encountered (which is why that's the way I use it), but that was at least 5+ years ago. WoW forums FTL. =)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,358
    I don't do much in the way of 'city' riding so maybe not the best person to comment

However as a very experienced driver I would have assumed the 2nd HGV was leaving a gap in the traffic for a vehicle coming the opposite direction to turn into that junction on the cyclists left.

The cyclist had no idea that this was potential hazard.

He's a lucky boy.

ETA obv I'm talking about the most recent video posted
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    petejuk wrote:
    Classic Vid. Cycling 101- be aware of what's going on around you and pay attention. I hope he's ok, but lesson learnt I think.

I very much doubt it with this plank,
    good job that truck wasn't turning left too He seems determined to get himself killed or injured either by self important and reckless riding or by making everything his business rather than keeping his eyes on the road.

PMSL at the revenge of Hubris.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    However as a very experienced driver I would have assumed the 2nd HGV was leaving a gap in the traffic for a vehicle coming the opposite direction to turn into that junction on the cyclists left.

Yup, me too. Of course, drivers shouldn't block junctions out of general courtesy, but I'd have assumed the driver was allowing some oncoming traffic into the residential road on the left.

Having said that, I'm not sure about saying "I wouldn't have undertaken there". From the HGV's positioning, and to a much lesser extent the road type, I'd predict the HGV going straight on, and I believe I'd be able to see any right-turning oncoming traffic. Not undertaking HGVs (or other vehicles really) ain't a bad rule to stick to though..

Well, that's two videos where that cyclist has shown some poor judgement. Being self-righteous doesn't look great if you're wrong.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I would have undertaken the HGVs there. It's a clearly marked cycle lane and so I would have taken advantage of that. I would have done it slowly and carefully and I wouldn't have done it if there had been railings on the left. I also would have checked the gap the HGV left before crossing it (the guy does look to his right and I have no idea how quick he going).

His only problem was that he was too busy looking behind instead of infront when he squeezed past the car.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    I probably would have undertaken the HGVs. Cautiously.

Generally, if I'm going to do that sort of thing, I want to be able to see up the road before I start so that I can judge whether I can complete the undertake before the traffic starts to move. The traffic curls to the right, so the rider can't see the movement of the queue ahead.

I'd have been prepared to put big money on neither HGV making a left turn into the residential road, so the pass is all about them suddenly moving forward and drifting into the cycle lane whilst I'd be alongside. The absence of a wall/railings/another vehicle gives an escape route of sorts if that had happened.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    The undertake of the HGV at the turning was slightly dodgy, but I probably would have done it very cautiously.
    Riding forwards in heavy/stationary traffic whilst looking backwards to have a go at someone on a mobile is something I would not do.

He should also learn to ride in a straight line whilst looking over his shoulder or he might ride into the back of a stationary car.

Oh, too late.

He makes himself look like an idiot who has poor bike control and poor judgement,
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    all poor riding aside the image looks great, may get myself one just for fun
  • PBo
    Actually, to be fair to the guy, posting that second video with the accompanying title, shows that he isn't taking himself too seriously......