Giro Stage 8 *spoiler*

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited May 2010 in Pro race
First mountain top finish and conditions are terrible.

It's been snowing at the top of the Terminillo but it's stopped now. Looks like it'll be foggy / rainy on the stage with temperatures around freezing at the summit.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• fastercyclist
    fastercyclist Posts: 396
    This Giro has put a stop to me envying of pro cyclists. :lol:

Hopefully Vino will take the stage.
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • StefanP
    StefanP Posts: 429
    Seeing the grimaces on Vino's face on the last stage, I wonder how well he can go today
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,231
    This Giro has put a stop to me envying of pro cyclists. :lol:

Hopefully Vino will take the stage.

Hopefully he won't! :wink:
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    bet that means we won't get any coverage from the top of the mountain :(
  • stokepa31
    stokepa31 Posts: 560
    Yesterday was epic. Hoping team sky might show a bit better soon and am hoping Cadel wins out over Vino
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    stokepa31 wrote:
    Yesterday was epic. Hoping team sky might show a bit better soon and am hoping Cadel wins out over Vino

Would prefer to see Evans take out the Giro, but it's far too early for him to get into Pink as well.

Hopefully for his sake, he slowly eats into Vino's lead and benefits from Liquigas' aggression towards the Kazakh.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Basso will be pleased he won't have to go down the otherside if it's wet....
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Petacchi has retired from the race. He's had enough.

Interesting comments from Daniel Friebe on Basso in CN's commentary.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Vino will have an off day-2003 TDF to Iuz Ardiden he got dropped bad compared to other days and at Courchevel 2005 TDF he blew too....good chance he will burn himself, have an off day if he rides like yesterday over the next 2 weeks
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Timoid. wrote:
    Petacchi has retired from the race. He's had enough.

These comments:

DF: "He's always been extremely diligent, which of course always brings pressure. But since his doping ban, he's repeatedly said that he wants to prove his 2006 Giro win was fair, and has struggled to demonstrate that on the road."

DB: Can Basso win a Grand Tour?

DF: Basso? Hmmm, I think that, if he doesn't improve over the course of the next two weeks, and doesn't finish on the podium here, we'll be forced to make a harsh re-assessment of Ivan Basso as a rider. It'll also be very hard to see how he's over going to win a major tour again, particularly as the cornerstone of his grand tour performances in 2004-2006 was a rapid improvement in time trialing. Since his ban, that's been mirrored by a rapid deterioration against the clock. He is a top five climber in most major tours, on most categories of mountain, but no better than that.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • timoid.
    Yup. Kind of sums up the boost that thinking about doping can give you.

I would have expected a similar fall in ability from Vino. Didn't quite notice it on the TTT when he as doing huuuuuge turns.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • timoid.
    Those two are caught but the bunch is in two big groups with about 100 riders in each. The gap is roughly a minute. Names to come

Wonder which bunch Sastre is in? Again.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,867
    Timoid. wrote:
    Yup. Kind of sums up the boost that thinking about doping can give you.

I would have expected a similar fall in ability from Vino. Didn't quite notice it on the TTT when he as doing huuuuuge turns.

he will burst a major blood vessel if he tries to pack anymore in... his prologue was so un aero despite finishing 3rd..the amount of air he pushed round that course...

he gets 1 point for being "professional" enough for not leaving the giro in a vehicle with blue flashing lights...

what happening in the race links etc?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Timoid. wrote:
    Petacchi has retired from the race.

The sprints so far and now to come will be drastically inferior to previous years. Farrar must be pleased.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    The last time up Terminillo (16 km at 7.3%) was in 2003 when Gibo attacked with 6km, dropping everyone but Garzelli who took the sprint.
    http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/photos/2 ... ge7/25.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    He took the sprint in the same way you take a birthday gift... with gift being the operative word.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    17 leaders then 30 secs back to Vino and most of the other GC favourites apparently.

Ochoa, Rodriguez, Tschopp, Uran, Moncoutie, Brandle, Krujiswijk, Froome, Petrov, Chris Sorensen, Stortoni, Sarmiento, Ravard, Voeckler, Engels, Cummings
    Contador is the Greatest
  • disgruntledgoat
    J-Rod in there with Moncoucou.... their presence is tempered by Voeckler and scouse big lad Steve Cummings.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Moomaloid wrote:
    bet that means we won't get any coverage from the top of the mountain :(

If conditions are really bad it is not unknown for the organisers to truncate the stage after it has started (e.g. 2006), though that would be more likely in the Dolomites.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    J-Rod in there with Moncoucou.... their presence is tempered by Voeckler and scouse big lad Steve Cummings.
    Tschopp and Sorensen can climb well too.
  • frenchfighter
    2mins now for the lead 17.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • disgruntledgoat
    Kléber wrote:
    Tschopp and Sorensen can climb well too.

Froome in there too. Cummings must eitherbe working for him, or wondering how bad its gonna get when everybody starts firing.

Lampre doing a lot at the front.

@gietvangent
  • Bernardus
    Bernardus Posts: 136
    A lot of riders abandon (abondonees?) today:
    Petacchi
    Kozonchuk
    Masciarelli (2x)
    Modolo
    Murphy
    Wegmann
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,867
    raitre
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Timoid. wrote:

We must also remember that Dan got fooled by Sky being a "super team" :wink:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Ahh, the gap between a budget and results. All that money spent on ambient lighting and personalised number plates does not make a big team. [now the fuse is burning, I'm running away]

As for Basso, clearly when a rider stops a massive doping programme then they will not get the same results as before. It'll be interesting to see if Vino enters the pantheon of grand tour winners, he was only a contender in the past when he worked with Ferrari.
  • disgruntledgoat
    Come now Kleber... you mean "thinking about a massive doping programme"

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    Wegmann abandons.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Vino won a GT on dope remember

Strava is not Zen.