Doing my first 10 mile TT THIS YEAR tomoz maybe

124»

Comments

• thetrotter
    thetrotter Posts: 258
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I'm aiming for under 24 mins by the end of the season on our course. Would like to do one on a fast course to see how I get on...

The club 10 course is actually pretty quick given the gift downhill start (its certainly faster than J2/1). Levens is the comp record course and notably quicker, although weather dependent because it runs alongside Morecambe Bay. Can be tricky to get into events there because it is so popular but evening events there on both 12 and 19 June that might be worth a try if you're not working. Otherwise look for a middle markers/slowest 120 event up there, or wait until September when there are mutiple events on the same day so easier to get in. A10/19 near Derby and D10/19 near Chester are also pretty quick but again can be oversubscribed.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    thetrotter wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I'm aiming for under 24 mins by the end of the season on our course. Would like to do one on a fast course to see how I get on...

The club 10 course is actually pretty quick given the gift downhill start (its certainly faster than J2/1).

Great. Now I feel thoroughly deflated!
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    NapoleonD wrote:

whereas I'm elated after doing that 23:48 on J2/1! :)

Might have to give your course a go then.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • starlet_gt
    starlet_gt Posts: 88
    I managed a 31:00 the other day on my first ever TT, on a standard road bike. My bro had a go and he got 26:48 on his bike with clip on bars, was also his first TT. I got slaughtered haha.
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    i did 38 mins in the 1st one as cramped up. did 34:24 in my second like it enough i have ordered some clip on bars. I dont have the strength yet to push the bigger gears so im hoping to close in on 30 mins by the end of this year and to slaughter my mates next season.

It is the most fun you can have in 30 mins though. love it.
  • thetrotter
    thetrotter Posts: 258
    NapoleonD wrote:
    thetrotter wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

The club 10 course is actually pretty quick given the gift downhill start (its certainly faster than J2/1).

Clearly my motivational skills haven't deserted me :twisted:
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    I keep missing our Tuesday night TTs... ill for one, recovering from the fred for the next, ill again last week, tonights has been cancelled following a fatal bus crash on the homeward leg. Itching to get going again!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Well today, on the Lower Withington 10 mile course, it was very windy, but I broke my PB of 25:40, today I got 25:15

So I need some Tri Bars next, and some leg warmers that aint baggy, same for my arm warmers, and my jersey was flapping about too.

Not that happy about it, I am capable of doing under 25, my legs cocked up again, I must be doing something wrong, they surely should not be that painful that I'm slowing down so much, I has to stop pedalling at one point.

Shows that TT bikes are an improvement, cause this guy who had tri bars and a aero helmet, I beat last time, this time he had a Planet X TT bike and was 13 seconds quicker than me, not bad for a 14 year old.
  • a_n_t
    I was pretty pants tonight, 9 secs off my PB but hey, if you dont train, you dont get quicker! :lol:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    freehub wrote:
    So I need some Tri Bars next, and some leg warmers that aint baggy, same for my arm warmers, and my jersey was flapping about too.

This is the first thing to sort out, loose clothing is not useful in a TT, forget the leg warmers and arm warmers now, and get a tight fitting jersey as a bare minimum, skinsuit is a much better idea though.
    freehub wrote:
    Not that happy about it, I am capable of doing under 25, my legs cocked up again, I must be doing something wrong, they surely should not be that painful that I'm slowing down so much, I has to stop pedalling at one point.

Your legs should will be very painful towards the end of the TT, it is the training that raises this tolerance. You should be able to pace it, so they are hurting, but still able to pedal. The only time I stop pedalling is at the turn, if it is a tight RAB, or after the finish. Other than that it is pedalling at a constant effort, with the legs having a burning sensation throughout, apart from the first mile of so.
    freehub wrote:
    Shows that TT bikes are an improvement, cause this guy who had tri bars and a aero helmet, I beat last time, this time he had a Planet X TT bike and was 13 seconds quicker than me, not bad for a 14 year old.

A TT bike is an advantage, though most of the advantage is the position, not the actual frame. Getting more aero clothing is a big part of that difference.
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    mkirby wrote:

It is the most fun you can have in 30 mins though. love it.

That is "cyclist fun" though - i.e. like normal fun, but involving as much pain and suffering as possible :wink: (if you are doing it properly)
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • freehub
    Well I am very dissapoint, but they said it was a worse night than the last time I did the TT, I did 4 seconds slower than last time, so 25:19, I reckon if I never rode yesterday, as I did a 10 mile turbo session that was not steady, but not thrashing it.

I'll have to wait till next year to see if I can do better, since I won't be here for the next, although I'll try Clifton CC evening TT's.

We chain ganged it home and I think it's great, adds even more training in.
  • Yeehaaaww! Love it when you hit form and all that training pays off. Did a lifetime PB tonight on a blustery Raglan course with a 22:43 about 25s faster than my 1991 effort.Thats my 2nd SMART goal achieved already this year by some margin so something is right.
  • a_n_t
    PB 24.29, same crap course as Will.

not bad for 184 watts! :)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • freehub
    That it? 184W AVG?

Can't be right that, should be way higher O_o
  • a_n_t
    its a joke, see other thread in training section.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.