Doing my first 10 mile TT THIS YEAR tomoz maybe

freehub
freehub Posts: 4,257
edited June 2010 in Amateur race
Well it's some J course near Jodrell Bank, my aim is to do under 25mins.

I've got some challenge to beat Bhima though:

I did a 22:30 in November and i'm sure you had more power than me back then. In fact, you MUST have had more power than me, as you had about 10-15kg more bodyweight than me in Sep/Oct and we were going uphill at a similar rate."

But he said 23mins should be easy for me, I wish.

Comments

• Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    So Bhima did a 22:30 on the JC36/10 (a SPOCO course) in November?

Seems strange how he never seems to be able to make it down there when there's a time keeper to confirm how quickly he can cover the distance... you'd almost think he was bullsh**ing

Best I'veever managed on a road bike with clip on tri-bars around there was 24:04 in decent conditions and I had absolutely nothing left when I crossed the line.

There's TTers who knock out 20's on faster courses elsewhere doing 23 minutes on that course in average conditions.

But good luck with your "easy" 23 minute ride though, hope you achieve it Will
  • Thick Tester
    Thick Tester Posts: 380
    You'd better double up on Weetabix and wash your heels if you think you are going to ride that on your 1st attempt.

Dream on Dreamer
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Go for it mate - I only started testing this spring - hard work - but nice when you come back to a course and see how you've improved.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    The TT I did was in Spain. Different road surface by miles, probably enough to take off a good 30 seconds. Doesn't matter though, I was using it to illustrate the point that Will could deffo do better than that, unless things have changed massively since our last ride.

It depends on aerodynamics a lot more than weight. I was on a TT bike with a good position/tight skinsuit/disc/etc.

What's your TT position like?
  • Thick Tester
    10 mile time trial....in spain where they mark everything out in Km? In November? Keep taking the medicine
  • Thick Tester
    So your first 10 mile time trial? Apart from all those other 10 mile time trials you have ridden of course: http://www.cliftoncc.org/qcp.php?cp_id=1682
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    So your first 10 mile time trial? Apart from all those other 10 mile time trials you have ridden of course: http://www.cliftoncc.org/qcp.php?cp_id=1682

Well done Miss Marple
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Thick Tester

Well done Miss Marple

No thanks needed... This gaff will soon inards outed... All in due course my friend.
  • Thick Tester
    Bhima wrote:
    The TT I did was in Spain. I was on a TT bike with a good position/tight skinsuit/disc/etc.

The one they call Bhima posted almost daily about all sorts of inane musings in November but never once postulated about being in Spain and doing 22:30 on a disc'd up TT bike, in a skinsuit.

are ye sure ye weren't just reading a holiday brochure sat on the turbo in your cellar oh day dreaming one?

You've stated you will only lose 30 seconds compared to your Spain time. Ye can do a 23:00 on the JC36/10 then.

Take ye self down to the JC36/10 and prove yourself infront of the one with the stopwatch.

The gauntlet is thrown down, show you are more than all talk and no action
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    LMAO! This is pure gold :lol:

Bhima we all know talks some prize B/S but i never thought Will was that bad. Nothing like seeing someone get rumbled.
  • freehub

Which of those is in Manchester and in the year 2010? :wink:

I'm not gonna have tri bars, just on the drops as low as possible and try get round in under 25 despite the gusty wind that is expected. I hate it when my legs start to hurt at the top, my like cramp, happens every time.
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    LMAO! This is pure gold :lol:

Bhima we all know talks some prize B/S but i never thought Will was that bad. Nothing like seeing someone get rumbled.

Read above, it's my first TT this year and so counts as my first 10 mile TT especially in the Manchester area and the course is apparently awful.
  • Thick Tester
    I've lost my virginity on the 1st of Jan each new calendar year too, AND put it on every CTT entry ( under my 24 hour distance ) Does that count ?
  • freehub
    I've lost my virginity on the 1st of Jan each new calendar year too, AND put it on every CTT entry ( under my 24 hour distance ) Does that count ?

Why are you even arguing.

It's my first TT of the year, now **** off.
  • TommyEss
    Yes - but the thread title implies you've never ever ever done one before, and you're looking for advice on how to go about your first time trial.

Only it's not and you aren't!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • freehub
    Lol, the same crowd from Cake Stop.

I can't even believe this, what is wrong with you?

First you're all PC about racism, now you're trying to debate about the titles of my thread.

Get a life, I don't post a thread for close minded muppets, that assume I must be an expert at TT with my AMAZING 25:41 time for a 10, I mean wow, I bet I must be the fastest and most experienced TT'er around......

Thanks, I'm going to have to get this moved into Cake Stop. :roll:
  • TommyEss
    Not really mate - I opened up the thread expecting to try and offer some advice to a newbie in the boat I was in just a few months back...

Imagine my sense of "meh" when I saw it was only you...
  • freehub
    What do you think when I see it's only you posting?

And as for that piece of "BS" you've just spouted, before opening a thread you can clearly see who has posted it.

How do you know I don't need advice? You don't know me.
  • Westerberg
    Westerberg Posts: 652
    freehub wrote:

First you're all PC about racism, now you're trying to debate about the titles of my thread.

Get a life, I don't post a thread for close minded muppets, that assume I must be an expert at TT with my AMAZING 25:41 time for a 10, I mean wow, I bet I must be the fastest and most experienced TT'er around......

why are you advertising this thread on Cake stop; inviting people over here to read your inane babble? Anyone would think you were angling for a fight rather than asking for advice :roll:
  • TommyEss
    25:41 is a full two minutes faster than the 10 I did on Tuesday - chapeau - but it would also suggest that you don't need much in the way of advice on how to go about riding these - other than that if you're banging times like that out on a road bike, you'd probably see a whole load more time fall away if you take a good look at your positioning, and consider some tri bar extensions, assuming you're not yet in a position to splash out on a full TT bike.

That's all - nothing closed-minded - don't come asking for advice only to smash it back in people's faces.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    I also took the thread to mean you'd never done a 10 before :?

I'm doing my first 10 in 14 years tonight. It's a quick course but I'll be riding a standard road bike too and am far from race fit so will be aiming to beat 30 minutes as I was in my first ever 10. My PB (same course) is 24.20 so I was never much use!
  • freehub
    Westerberg wrote:
    freehub wrote:

why are you advertising this thread on Cake stop; inviting people over here to read your inane babble? Anyone would think you were angling for a fight rather than asking for advice :roll:

*yawn*

TommyEss I don't smash advice back in peoples faces, but I don't appreciate my thread being destroyed by comments reckoning I'm bs'ing and talking rubbish because it's not my absolute first TT .

I posted this thread with the intention of it being my first TT this year, I have posted my times last year, last year on this forum before, so people trying to "bust" me and crap like EKMIKE, are not doing anything at all put wasting calories.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    freehub wrote:
    so people trying to "bust" me and crap like EKMIKE, are not doing anything at all put wasting calories.

I think the phrase is "Oxygen Thieves"
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • TommyEss
    Mate - we (some of us) got the wrong end of the stick due to the thread title - to the unitiated, and people who don't know you, it looks like this is your first and you were asking for advice as such.

That's not the case, so all's understood now.

So back to your OP - you've got a 10 miler coming up - what are your concerns, what do you want advice on?
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    So he messed up and put its his first one in the title, does it really matter though cause as you read the post you can realise he's done them before and he's asking about timings and wants to beat Bhima (just make sure you eat a few bannanas before hand!)

On another note: Will, I normally stick up for you in these arguments, I don't know why - especially if you're going to divert traffic from a topic where people are already attacking you, could have easily avoided it this time!
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    If you want to beat Bhima I suggest the following

Turn up to said TT

Pay your Money

Pin on your number

Complete the Course.

Hey presto! Your racing career is already infinitely better!!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Pross
    If you want to beat Bhima I suggest the following

Turn up to said TT

Pay your Money

Pin on your number

Complete the Course.

Hey presto! Your racing career is already infinitely better!!

:lol: Unless of course you include racing against people who don't even realise they're being raced in which case you need to be a pro before being better than Bhima :wink:
  • freehub
    Well the problem I've had with TT's, is starting too fast, I'm like 0-28mph in seconds, and there is no point in that is there cause I'm not going to average 28mph, so why do 28mph. I dunno if I should start off slow and work up to say 20mph, hold it for abit, then up it to 25mph and hold it.
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    Start off at the speed you expect to average for the whole race. Give yourself 5min to settle in.

Pacing a 10 is tricky. I find if I do it right, the first half feels fairly comfortable but the last half doesn't. If I go off too hard, I go slower and it hurts more.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Pross
    Do you have a heart rate monitor? If so you could ride based on that as it should allow you to ride at a consistent effort that you can maintain. Trying to work on your speed isn't helpful IME as you can end up not pushing yourself hard enough in places due to tailwind / gradient etc. and then find yourself going harder than you should be to keep the pace when the opposite occurs. I've done a few in the past on my local out and back course using my speedo only to find the return much harder than the ride out. I've also left myself with too much in the tank in the last mile or so by setting myself an average based on the time I wanted rather than going at the fastest I could have achieved.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Would echo the above. Pacing a ten is problematic as you'll be able to go harder than you think for 25 minutes amd everybodies HR is different. I know, for example, that it takes me about 10 minutes at 92% before my HR will start to climb up the 95% or so I was always told was a good rate for a 10.

I tend to base my pace, on experience, from gearing. 53x14 at about 90rpm is my usual 10 gear, so I know once I get off in about a 19 and get into gear, if I spin that, I'll be there or there abouts.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent