Doing my first 10 mile TT THIS YEAR tomoz maybe

Comments

• freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    What, you're not allowed to overtake a rider that has just overtook you? What if he bonked? Course I'd overtake him.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    No - you can overtake - your just not supposed to slipstream him in order to gain the speed needed to overtake him, if that makes sense.

If you find yourself gaining on him, you should move out away from him - there's a diagram somewhere showing how it should be done in triathlons, there's an imaginary box you shouldn't enter - a distance behind and either side of a rider, where you'd be deemed to be at an aerodynamic advantage.

I got overtaken by our club champion, and he stayed out wide til he was a good 20m past me, which meant I didn't have to alter my course once he'd gone past me (I was never going to be racing up to his wheel or anything)
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,146
    Pross wrote:
    How did it go Will? Got my first time in 14 years posted which is a new PW of 31.17. To give some context of how poor I was the winning time was 21.30, I got caught by every minute man / woman up to 7 minutes and I was 7 minutes slower than my PB also set on the same course :oops:

In my defence I was riding a standard road bike and no tri bars (one of only 3 to do so), I had a slight buckle in my back wheel and when I finished I noticed my front wheel rubbing slightly on the brakes which when I stopped actually translated in the wheel not even turning a full revolution when I spun it. Add to this I am fat and unfit (which is possibly the main contributory factor :lol: ).

On the plus side it sets me up well for the club handicap series as I have plenty of scope to improve :D

Abergavenny 10 on the 10/17?

What/who was winner (ing) time?

Only 5 riders for Blaenau gwents 10 was a bit windy last night....

Tim Rose was quickest in 21.30. There were about 18 riders including a few JIF lot. Most times were in the 24 minute region with about 7 riders round 24.30. The wind was a bit odd last night, seemed to be swirling a bit, just get going with what felt like a tail wind and then it felt like hitting a brick wall!

You ought to come over and do them. I think M&D Cycles are doing alternate weeks with us but our next TT in a 25 on 27 May (out at Pandy I think - I won't be riding!)
  • scrumpydave
    scrumpydave Posts: 143
    53x14 at about 90rpm is my usual 10 gear

Doing my FIRST!! 10 TT next week and a bit worried reading this. I'll be using a butchered together TT bike which is basically my old fixie with some aero bars added, but the gearing I've got on it is 42x15. I'm not sure I'll be able to spin that at 90rpm for 10 miles. Guess I've got a bit of catching up to do!
    Riding the Etape du Tour for Beating Bowel Cancer - click to donate http://bit.ly/P9eBbM
  • freehub
    TommyEss wrote:
    No - you can overtake - your just not supposed to slipstream him in order to gain the speed needed to overtake him, if that makes sense.

If you find yourself gaining on him, you should move out away from him - there's a diagram somewhere showing how it should be done in triathlons, there's an imaginary box you shouldn't enter - a distance behind and either side of a rider, where you'd be deemed to be at an aerodynamic advantage.

I got overtaken by our club champion, and he stayed out wide til he was a good 20m past me, which meant I didn't have to alter my course once he'd gone past me (I was never going to be racing up to his wheel or anything)

Well what I usually do when overtaking is when I'm about 20-30 meters behind them I move to the side, so I'm not in thee slipstream then just go past.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    53x14 at about 90rpm is my usual 10 gear

Doing my FIRST!! 10 TT next week and a bit worried reading this. I'll be using a butchered together TT bike which is basically my old fixie with some aero bars added, but the gearing I've got on it is 42x15. I'm not sure I'll be able to spin that at 90rpm for 10 miles. Guess I've got a bit of catching up to do!
    90rpm for 10 miles on that gear will be just over 30 min. There are riders doing 23 min and under on 72" gears. That one is just over 75". Just spin it and you will be OK.
  • TommyEss
    freehub wrote:
    TommyEss wrote:

Well what I usually do when overtaking is when I'm about 20-30 meters behind them I move to the side, so I'm not in thee slipstream then just go past.

Yer, that works - I think you'll only be in risk of DQ in a proper TT with commissaires etc - like the Nationals, the Worlds, the Olympics - so not really going to get in massive trouble on a local club 10! Nice ride though - I'd deffo be looking at some tri bars with times like that.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • freehub
    What I'd be at risk for being disqualified for moving to the side at 20-30m? What is the recommended distance?
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    freehub wrote:
    What, you're not allowed to overtake a rider that has just overtook you? What if he bonked? Course I'd overtake him.

that was alex royle................................ you wouldn't have got anywhere near him!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • freehub
    a_n_t wrote:
    freehub wrote:

that was alex royle................................ you wouldn't have got anywhere near him!

He never overtook me, probs set off before me, Jcrelling overtook me and I was catching up with him on the drag but when that levelled out he just pulled away from me.
  • a_n_t
    ah right, I was just going off the numbers on the results sheet. He was 1 behind you.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • a_n_t
    do what he constantly says he will and pinned a number on to demonstrate these amazing performances to the world.

dont hold your breath.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • freehub
    1 behind me? That was Jcrellin :s

I was 19 and Jrelling was 20 :s
  • SteveR_100Milers
    SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
    Pross wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    How did it go Will? Got my first time in 14 years posted which is a new PW of 31.17. To give some context of how poor I was the winning time was 21.30, I got caught by every minute man / woman up to 7 minutes and I was 7 minutes slower than my PB also set on the same course :oops:

In my defence I was riding a standard road bike and no tri bars (one of only 3 to do so), I had a slight buckle in my back wheel and when I finished I noticed my front wheel rubbing slightly on the brakes which when I stopped actually translated in the wheel not even turning a full revolution when I spun it. Add to this I am fat and unfit (which is possibly the main contributory factor :lol: ).

On the plus side it sets me up well for the club handicap series as I have plenty of scope to improve :D

Abergavenny 10 on the 10/17?

What/who was winner (ing) time?

Only 5 riders for Blaenau gwents 10 was a bit windy last night....

Tim Rose was quickest in 21.30. There were about 18 riders including a few JIF lot. Most times were in the 24 minute region with about 7 riders round 24.30. The wind was a bit odd last night, seemed to be swirling a bit, just get going with what felt like a tail wind and then it felt like hitting a brick wall!

You ought to come over and do them. I think M&D Cycles are doing alternate weeks with us but our next TT in a 25 on 27 May (out at Pandy I think - I won't be riding!)

I was going to ride a few of them, if only to mentally master that course - I always struggle with the drag up from the raglan RAB. We had a a farly big field again at our clb 10 at Usk - about 20 or so riders, some good times too. One of te Abergavenny riders rode it
  • Pross
    I was going to ride a few of them, if only to mentally master that course - I always struggle with the drag up from the raglan RAB. We had a a farly big field again at our clb 10 at Usk - about 20 or so riders, some good times too. One of te Abergavenny riders rode it

You and me both! I lost a lot of my time there last week. The wind is always strange on that course too. Hopefully get one of the rare float nights later in the summer when I'm a bit fitter as I want to get down to around 27.00 by the end of the season (standard road bike, no tribars!).
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Got to get under 25mins tonight!!!

Simply got to!
  • Pross
    Good luck - don't know about up there but the winds are fairly light here today.
  • Anonymous

PB by 45 secs!
  • Matt the Tester
    Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
    NapoleonD wrote:

PB by 45 secs!
    good job mate :)

im doing my first 10 mile TT tomorrow so im aiming for a sub 30 :)
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • TommyEss
    NapoleonD wrote:

PB by 45 secs!
    good job mate :)

im doing my first 10 mile TT tomorrow so im aiming for a sub 30 :)

That was my aim for my first one too - think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I've now seen the difference between a hilly route and one of our local drag strips - it's nearly 2 minutes!!!
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    NapoleonD wrote:

PB by 45 secs!

Wow, that's huge! Chapeau!

I did my second 10 of this year tonight on the Salt Ayre track in Lancaster. Last one was on quite a cold and windy night, and a disappointing 30:14. Tonight's was in good conditions. Unofficially 28:27 (avg 21.09 mph). PB by 13 seconds (and first time I've broken 21mph average for a 10). \o/ Standard road bike (Scott CR1 Team) with no additions/modifications.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Anonymous
    Agent57 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

PB by 45 secs!

Wow, that's huge! Chapeau!

I did my second 10 of this year tonight on the Salt Ayre track in Lancaster. Last one was on quite a cold and windy night, and a disappointing 30:14. Tonight's was in good conditions. Unofficially 28:27 (avg 21.09 mph). PB by 13 seconds (and first time I've broken 21mph average for a 10). \o/ Standard road bike (Scott CR1 Team) with no additions/modifications.

Nice one mate!

I'm aiming for under 24 mins by the end of the season on our course. Would like to do one on a fast course to see how I get on...

Come a long way from couch potato at 17.75 stone just under 3 years ago :D (With a broken leg last year...)

I love the salt ayre course for racing on, tis grand.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Yeah, the Salt Ayre track's a great facility to have on my doorstep. We use it for our Go-Ride club on Saturday mornings, the Tuesday crits and the Thursday TTs. The really great thing about the TTs is that because it's not on the road, we can have our Cog Set kids riding. Tonight we had about 9 kids for the 2 mile TT, and another 20 or so for the 6 mile; and then there were all the 10 mile riders as well. :D I reckon about 45 riders across all the distances, from ages 7 or 8 to over 60; pretty good for what's just a weekly club 10 (well, 2, 6 or 10).

I'm scared of doing a crit on there though; they look so fast and hairy!

For a fast course, we've got Levens just up the road. At least, Wiggins made it look fast... ;)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Matt the Tester
    Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
    done my TT today and i loved it :D i managed to get a 27:51 but bloody hell my back was killing me!

no TT bars = AGONISING BACK PAIN!
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • Anonymous
    Agent57 wrote:
    Yeah, the Salt Ayre track's a great facility to have on my doorstep. We use it for our Go-Ride club on Saturday mornings, the Tuesday crits and the Thursday TTs. The really great thing about the TTs is that because it's not on the road, we can have our Cog Set kids riding. Tonight we had about 9 kids for the 2 mile TT, and another 20 or so for the 6 mile; and then there were all the 10 mile riders as well. :D I reckon about 45 riders across all the distances, from ages 7 or 8 to over 60; pretty good for what's just a weekly club 10 (well, 2, 6 or 10).

I'm scared of doing a crit on there though; they look so fast and hairy!

For a fast course, we've got Levens just up the road. At least, Wiggins made it look fast... ;)

The course is about as good/safe as you can get for a crit... Done 3 races there, brill!!

Wish we had something like that in Cheshire/Manchester
  • a_n_t
    edited May 2010
    NapoleonD wrote:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=113477705358508
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • Anonymous
    a_n_t wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

:shock:

How have I missed this?!?
  • a_n_t
    NapoleonD wrote:
    a_n_t wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

:shock:

How have I missed this?!?

you've not, they haven't started yet! :lol:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Agent57 wrote:

Levens is waaaay fast. Remember Wiggins turning up in an FDJ car, straight back from the Giro and doing a 19 something on a fixed. Isn't his wife from Kendal?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • freehub
    I'm gonna skip this thursdays TT, I'm gonna cycle home to Yorkshire on Saturday and do 80 hilly miles, I'll do the flat TT at Sheriff Hutton near york and hopefully it'll be under 25 mins, I want to be doing a long 23min by the end on my CAAD9 with no aero bars.