How Heavy are Your Wheels

Comments

• up hill they are about 30000 tons down hill light as a air :lol:
    if i had my time again would i take the time to make the right choices

naa thats no fun
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Re : Eclipse tubes

Has anyone found a retailer shipping to the UK ?

Nino will ship to the UK.

I just wouldn't bother though, great for hanging your bike on the scales, but IMO if you want to ride your bike then either normal tubes or ideally tubeless is a better solution. YMMV and that.
  • RealMan wrote:
    How come everyone's rear is so much heavier then their front? Other way round on my bike.

9295034.jpg
    its normally because of the freehub, more material = more weight.
  • who cares as long they dont bend or buckle every two minutes
    Am i strange in that i actually ENJOY going up hills? Yes, yes i am.

PS: Full - Sussers are for SOFTIES AND BIG GIRLS
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    njee20 wrote:
    Re : Eclipse tubes

Has anyone found a retailer shipping to the UK ?

Nino will ship to the UK.

I just wouldn't bother though, great for hanging your bike on the scales, but IMO if you want to ride your bike then either normal tubes or ideally tubeless is a better solution. YMMV and that.
    I'm currently using Conti Supersonic tubes which weigh about 100g and the thought of halving that is quite tempting, especially for XC races.

Why don't you recommend the Eclipse tubes ?
  • njee20
    Spend the money on a coach, it'll do a vast amount more good than saving 50g on your wheels! I don't personally like lightweight MTB tubes full stop, the idea of spending that much money on some is really crazy. They're for hanging your bike on scales! Like I say, if you've got the money kicking about, spend it on making yourself faster!
  • SDK2007
    I totally understand where you're coming from in terms of fitness and skills over bikes parts.
    I have pretty intense Winter training sessions planned ahead of next season already.

These have to be worth checking out, a 90g saving off rotating weight is too good to pass by.
  • njee20
    They're £50! I'll bet they puncture if you look at them strangely too. To finish first first you have to finish! Tubeless all the way for racing!
  • SDK2007
    I don't think £100 is too bad for that kind of saving off the wheels, considering people will spend more than that on a crank upgrade to save less.
    I've not tried tubeless but the weight savings don't equate to much once you've factored in tubeless tyres, liquid etc... Plus I change tyres fairly often and it gets messy then.

What tyres/tubeless kit are you running?
  • njee20
    Change tyres most races, generally use Rons, Freds, Ralphs, Nics and Mud X's, same rims as you, Stans yellow tape and valve. All tyres go up with a track pump.

There probably isn't a weight saving against the Eclipse tubes, but the point is that there are other advantages. If 56g tubes were that good there'd be people using them on sites other than Weight Weenies! Weight isn't always the biggest factor, I reckon I'm quicker with 10g extra weight in sealant, but more versatility in pressure. YMMV of course.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    How heavy? No idea, and I don't care. If I want to make a weight saving it'll be by cutting down on the grub and beer :D

Just get out and ride. The more obsessing over weight, the less time for riding :P
  • Andy!
    Andy! Posts: 433
    ducatidave wrote:
    what happens to the rotational weight of the slime?????

if it stays at the bottom surley it cant be as hard to move

inertia???????? moments etc

mind you i only did 1 year of a level physics

should i keep my mouth shut

similar reason to why we don't all fall over due the aerodynamic drag of the atmosphere as the earths surface we stand on is travels at 1000mph (at the equator).
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    1635 for the front - and that's as fitted to the bike (tyre, tube, Skewer, disc + rotor)
    2096 for the rear - again, as fitted to the bike (tyre, tube, skewer, rotor + cassette)

Could be lighter, but I'm quite happy with the current set up.

You're not wrong...

Front:
    Wheel: American Classic hubs /Black CX-Ray Spokes/Alloy Nipples/ZTR Crest Rims (605g)
    Tyre: Maxxis Flyweight (330g)
    Tube: Continental (87g)
    Rotor: Avid G3, (96g +7g for the Ti bolts)
    Skewer: KCNC (22g)
    Complete wheel weight: 1147g

Rear:
    Wheel: American Classic hubs /Black CX-Ray Spokes/Alloy Nipples/ZTR Crest Rims (729g)
    Tyre: Maxxis Flyweight (330g)
    Tube: Continental (87g)
    Rotor: Avid G3, (96g +7g for the Ti bolts)
    Skewer: KCNC (22g)
    Cassette: Recon Alloy (138g)
    Complete wheel weight: 1409g

Total weight: 2556g

:D
  • RideXC
    RideXC Posts: 67
    Rims : DT Swiss XR350, 350 grams per rim

Spoke spec: DT Swiss Comp 190 grams for 32 pieces

Front Hub : ZTR (amazingly smoooooth)

Rear Hub : Tank Lights

Front wheel weight : 1120 g

Rear wheel weight : 1410 g

Front tyre: Specialized Fast Trak Control 2Bliss ready 2.0 = 535 g

Rear tyre : Maxxis Ignitor 1.95 = 505 g

Tubeless :55 g Rim strip per tyre x 2 = 110 g

So the wheelset alone weighs only : 1380 grams! :D
    I still can't understand why I want a singlespeed steel hardtail when I already have a full-susser with 27 gears.
  • njee20
    edited November 2010
    Are you actually running those wheels El Cap, or theorising?

If you are, how's the Recon cassette? I've never heard a good word about alu MTB cassettes, but they are cheap!

If you're theorising then you have no imagination, you can go far lighter!
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Weighed up my Hope Pro2s and Stans Crests before they were taped and tyred up....

F= 734g
    R= 831g

Currently tubed, with Highrollers, 180mm and 160mm rotors. Haven't weighted them fully preped.
  • SDK2007
    El Cap - a 138g Cassette, what does that look like?
  • njee20
    Just no, they're utter toss by all accounts, even ti don't last, alu are a joke on an MTB in the UK.
  • El Capitano
    njee20 wrote:
    Are you actually running those wheels El Cap, or theorising?

If you are, how's the Recon cassette? I've never heard a good word about alu MTB cassettes, but they are cheap!

If you're theorising then you have no imagination, you can go far lighter!

Nope, got everything ready and waiting for the back end of the NRS to come back from the resprayers:

Wheels:

DSC01898.jpg

DSC01894.jpg

Cassette:

Picture.jpg

Tyres & tubes already fitted:

IMG_4137.jpg

Skewers:

DSC01706-1.jpg

Rotors:

IMG_4139.jpg

Re the cassette, I'll give it 100 miles before its in pieces. Granted, it's light and cheap, but can't really see it lasting that long.
  • njee20
    Shame really, If they lasted they'd be alright! Ive seen a number snap when changing gear, same with the KCNCs.

I have to wonder though, why a ridiculous cassette that's no use and not Podium or even Alpine rims?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Why spray it, leave it bare and save about 150g!
  • El Capitano
    njee20 wrote:
    I have to wonder though, why a ridiculous cassette that's no use

Erm, daft as it sounds, I want to use the back of it as a template for a tattoo... :?
    njee20 wrote:
    and not Podium or even Alpine rims?

1. I'm about the maximum weight limit. :oops:
    2. I run my tyres at high pressures.
  • gezzza
    gezzza Posts: 324
    They could be lighter

P1030821%20(Custom).JPG

P1030824%20(Custom).JPG

In fact looking at the pics they are lighter

160mm rotor is now on the front and a hope 140mm is on the rear -42g

Ti rotor bolts so a few more grams

18t star ratchet swapped for the 36t - 10g

so thats 2780g all in

the xtr cassette will be swapped for a xg999 when its trashed so thats another 40g

and thats about as far as i will go theres no way I'm dropping the skewers i love them even if they are heavy.

as for tyres i like some grip so no flyweights here
  • SDK2007
    Nice setup Gezzza - the same weight as my XC setup :)
    As njee20 said earlier; it's probably worth running a few grams heavier to ensure stiffness.
  • njee20
    Amateur Gezza:

SubKilo1b.JPG

SubKilo7.JPG

Add Furious Freds, Scrub Raceday rotors with 3 ti bolts, Tune Skyline skewers and an alu cassette and you'd save about a pound.
  • supersonic
    Ive seen lighter than that, pah! Try harder ;-)
  • njee20
    958g disc clincher wheels? I have to say I thought they were the lightest out there, I wouldn't want to use them! What've you seen that's lighter?!
  • supersonic
    Couple of ways, tubs as you say lol: but aren't there lighter hubs from Tune too?

Of course non disc hubs would drop weight, but would have to factor in different rims. And of course we have carbon cassettes, but most likely you'd have to get one made for you! Amazing how silly you can get if you think about it lol.

Makes XTR wheels look like lard buckets haha. I like mine tho.
  • njee20
    Nah, Tune Prince/Princess hubs are much heavier, and even the new Dezibel rear hub is heavier. They're Extralite Ultrahubs with full ceramic bearings and Pillar ti spokes. Tub rims weigh less, but then the tubs themselves weigh more, so I think you'd struggle to save weight there. Even going non-disc, the lightest rims are something like ZTR 355s, at about 360g, those are 240g Innolites, which offsets the weight of the discs.

The bloke who owns them is about 80kg. Scary.