SCR Summer Gathering 2010

cjcp
cjcp Posts: 13,345
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Thought it might be worth kicking this off. So, when and where?

It was the Reobuck (I think) RP in July last year. How about Regent's Park this year? It's closer for anyone travelling into Paddington, Euston, KX or Waterloo.

If so, anyone know any good pubs on the perimter of Regent's Park?

If not, other suggestions welcome.

Date: a Saturday in July again? If so, I'll declare now that I can't make 3 July (Marmotte).
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."

Comments

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    edited June 2010
    CONFIRMED -

10th of JULY, MEET IN RICHMOND PARK AT THE COFFEE SHOP (ROEHAMPTON GATE) AT 1300

DO SOME LAPS, THEN TO THE ROEBUCK AT 1500 FOR BEER AND MERRIMENT!

IF YOU'RE FEELING BRAVE AFTER SOME DUTCH COURAGE, TRY A HILL CLIMB UP NIGHTINGALE LANE.....

PLEASE NOTE: I'm sure there's a good chance we'll be at the Roebuck earlier, but I wouldn't like people who don't want to do laps to be at the pub by themselves.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Not fussed either way- Roebuck was splendid (as was Richmond Park), it wasn't much bother to get to either from Waterloo (well, eventually...!).
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    If it's Regents Park then this is just round the corner, and it's only 15mins from my house (for a change).

http://www.edinborocastlepub.co.uk/

Happy with either though.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Richmond has the advantage of a quick ride around if you so desire which I'll be up for again this summer.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,185
    Another vote for the closest one :)

This is a good pub near Regents Park:
    http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/54/5481/Queens_Head_and_Artichoke/Regents_Park
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Oddjob62
    redvee wrote:
    Richmond has the advantage of a quick ride around if you so desire which I'll be up for again this summer.

But you get to see giraffes if you're going round Regents.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    OMG do you? :shock:

I want to change my vote!
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Regents is a lot closer to me being out in the south east than richmond park is
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Regents is good however the view from the Roebuck was amazing and more importantly, think of the miles.....!

:roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • redvee
    Got told off in Regents Park by the park police for riding my bike. Was on the way back from Finsbury Park to Paddington with a girl from New Zealand and cut through the park and within 100yds saw a police van parked by the No Cycling painted on the path. I got off and walked and he drove upto me and said, you knew you were in the wrong because you got off. I should have done the gentlemanly thing and sent the girl over with her kiwi accent :lol:
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Yay, summer gathering!!

July works for me too. :D
  • redvee
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Yay, summer gathering!!

IIRC you chickened out of the ride around the park last time and grabbed a headstart on getting trolleyed at the pub :lol:
  • Oddjob62
    If some people want a bit more of a challenge I'm happy to take them on a route through Hampstead and Highgate, including Swains Lane and through Hampstead Heath.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I live less than ten mins from Regent's Park so would almost prefer the other option on account of it being more of an excursion. Not really bothered either way, but maybe there should've been an option for 'both'?
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    couldnt find birmingham option, think the poll needs updating!
  • cjcp
    andy83 wrote:
    couldnt find birmingham option, think the poll needs updating!

But this isLondon-centric don't you know you. :)

I actually put a "Somewhere else" option in the poll, but it didn't seem to save it.

Sooooooooooo, if there are any other views, state them in your post.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I'm happy with either, but Richmond is best for cycling and sitting in the Roebuck looking out over the countryside in the late afternoon sun was splendid
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • cjcp
    I think it makes sense to try somehwere different. Venues for conferences etc are often rotated.

The chosen pub needs to have somewhere we can lock up or look after the bikes.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    redvee wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Yay, summer gathering!!

IIRC you chickened out of the ride around the park last time and grabbed a headstart on getting trolleyed at the pub :lol:

I'm sure I don't know what you mean 8)

Will do the same again this year
    :wink:
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Well I could say that wild horses wouldn't keep me away from all that lycra but the surgery might.

Hoping to be able to make it, but unless I buy a catsuit you won't see any of the stretchy stuff on me this year.

The later it is in the month, the more likely I will be able to hobble there. But don't plan for it
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • cjcp
    *Bump* :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    *Bump* :wink:

I meant to mention I've been checking out a couple of pubs around Regents Park, well what did you expect.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    And what does your unfailingly thorough research tell you?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    does any pub near regents park have enough bike parking space? the roebuck was very good for that

In july I propose Saturday the 10th/17th they're the only saturdays I can make

prefere the 10th as I'm doing the footy stadiums ride on the 18th which will be about 60 miles give or take and I'd like to be fresher for that
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • redvee
    Clever Pun wrote:

prefer the 10th as I'm doing the footy stadiums ride on the 18th which will be about 60 miles give or take and I'd like to be fresher for that

Read about that, it's something like 65 miles going to all 22 London grounds?
  • itboffin
    edited April 2010
    @cp & cjcp yes I noticed Edinboro Castle has an enclosed large outdoor area the York & Albany looks good too not sure about the garden, I will investigate suitability and quality of Guinness either tomorrow or Friday 8)

mmmm beer
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    redvee wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

prefer the 10th as I'm doing the footy stadiums ride on the 18th which will be about 60 miles give or take and I'd like to be fresher for that

Read about that, it's something like 65 miles going to all 22 London grounds?

I think the route is about 40 not going to crystal palace
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Oddjob62
    itboffin wrote:
    @cp & cjcp yes I noticed Edinboro Castle has an enclosed large outdoor area the York & Albany looks good too not sure about the garden, I will investigate suitability and quality of Guinness either tomorrow or Friday 8)

mmmm beer

Was in the EC last Friday. The Garden is nice and the food is good, but not sure how busy it gets at the weekend, might pop down on a sat/sun when i'm back (just for research obviously). There are bike posts accross the road, but again i don't know how busy they are. Friday they were packed.
  • cjcp
    Ideally, we need somewhere we can stick the bikes out front (ie not on pub premises) so there's no issue over fire hazards etc.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Nice work CJ, I was going to bump this as well but you beat me to it.

Looking forward to it...3rd is still good for me. 10th is potentially do-able but that is also the day of my 30th birthday party! :D
    "Come at the king, you best not miss." - Omar, The Wire

FCN 4: Willier Izoard XP
    FCN 7: GT Legato 4.0

*GAME* competitor