Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    CiB wrote:
    PF 0 CiB 2. :wink:
    Tempting fate? Dagnabbit, she'll probably get me now!
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Drunk
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • veronese68
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Coldest day of the year so far down here, but it was a very nice ride. I put my hand out to tell a BMW driver not to overtake (blind bend, I could see cars approaching) and got a wave of thanks in return as he went past. Then cruised past a mile and a half of stationary traffic on my way into town. :D

Minus 5 was shown on my computer for one stretch, which explains why my water bottle froze up. I had cold fingers at the start, but nothing too dreadful. Plus, it's always so pretty on these cold, crisp days.

Also, no wind, thank god!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    There's an accident on the M1 (overturned vehicle - I hope everyone is okay) between 23 and 23a Northbound so everyone has dived on to the back roads.

So of course the back roads are now grid locked.

Unless you're on a bike.....

2 miles down the outside of stationary traffic on a main A road - what an amazing feeling.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    My heartrate is 40BPM.
    Not bad considering I've hardly done any exercise for ages. Even my cycling is at a minimum at the moment.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • I'm joining the roadies! My employer just authorised the purchase of the Cube 2012 Peloton Race Compact - can't wait :-) Hopefully have it in time for the spring :-D :-D :-D

The trusty MTB will be cleaned up, serviced and put away for those rainy days, but I still love you man... just not so much :cry:
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Tried turbo-training today. Not as bad as I had expected.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • Tried turbo-training today. Not as bad as I had expected.
    Mrs OB got herself a x-trainer (Livestrong 10.0E as it happens).... its much harder work than cycling... 15min and I'm dying on my feet... and thats on level 1 on and incline of 0%.... uses muscles the bike never visits!
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • bails87
    As I was doing my pre-take off checks last night a woman walking past told me I was the best lit up cyclist she'd ever seen, and why couldn't the others be like me! :lol:
    MTB/CX

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    bails87 wrote:
    As I was doing my pre-take off checks last night a woman walking past told me I was the best lit up cyclist she'd ever seen, and why couldn't the others be like me! :lol:

Was this before or after you dropped your pants? :P
  • bails87
    bails87 wrote:

Was this before or after you dropped your pants? :P
    What do you think all the lights were for?! This is the look I was going for:
    washington-monument-washington-d-c-dcwm1.jpg
    MTB/CX

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    No image :(
  • bails87
    MTB/CX

• DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    gallery5-140307.jpg
    bike could be more visible, though...
  • bails87
    Another incident free commute. The drivers have been very good lately.

Plus the amount of stationary traffic I went past has increased to 2 miles. I tried to count how many cars I was passing but got confused when it split into two lanes while I was concentrating on filtering!
    MTB/CX

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Lack of traffic on the way home from work, leaving work at 2am did mean I saw a dozen cars in the 8 mile ride. On the ride I triggered one of those speed sensitive signs at 25mph but it didn't flash my speed, only warned me of an s-bend.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    Had a shock the other Sunday : Came to a roundabout to go right and a taxi over to my left, yes TAXI, stopped and waited even BEFORE I even got onto the roundabout! :shock:
    There is some decent drivers out there, just need to get rid of the idiots.
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • redvee
    The bank balance being £50 better than expected this morning :D
  • I got a tax rebate... £336... the first in many years....

and I have £1100 put aside for the expected tax bill.....

that makes £1436....mmmmmmmm....:D
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Quinns Cycles in Liverpool

cheers for basically stripping my bike to find the cause of the creak, i commenced "silent running" this morning [/evil laugh]
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • veronese68
    I've just been asked to supply a twist on hand throttle for an ice cream van.
    I supply parts for old English sports cars. Had just the thing in stock, bloke couldn't believe his luck. That made me chuckle.
  • mudcow007
    New, well exchanged alternator (from main dealer) on my car, all paid for by the warranty company (AA)

Vauxhall have just phoned an said i can get a new headlight on warranty too - its been 2 months of phones but All's Well That Ends Well
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Not a full on rant, and not wishing to open a can of worms again but...

Boy Jr has his Bikeability today at school. The permission slip was abundantly clear in stating that helmets are optional, so why does his teacher take it upon herself to announce at yesterday's end-of-day reminders that anyone who turns up sans hat won't be allowed to do it? A quiet word this morning and it's resolved and the boy is relieved and a bit happier, but is it really necessary to insist that a bunch of kids doing Bikeability in a playground are so at risk that PPE must be worn? Heck he's come home from school twice with nasty cuts that have turned out to leave permanent (but minor) scars but I don't see school notices advising that if children wish to run about in the playground they must wear helmets, knee & elbow pads or stay indoors where it's safe.

Phuh.
    Turns out that about half of the kids didn't have helmets, which pleases me hugely. And they went on the roads.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    CiB wrote:
    Not a full on rant, and not wishing to open a can of worms again but...

Boy Jr has his Bikeability today at school. The permission slip was abundantly clear in stating that helmets are optional, so why does his teacher take it upon herself to announce at yesterday's end-of-day reminders that anyone who turns up sans hat won't be allowed to do it? A quiet word this morning and it's resolved and the boy is relieved and a bit happier, but is it really necessary to insist that a bunch of kids doing Bikeability in a playground are so at risk that PPE must be worn? Heck he's come home from school twice with nasty cuts that have turned out to leave permanent (but minor) scars but I don't see school notices advising that if children wish to run about in the playground they must wear helmets, knee & elbow pads or stay indoors where it's safe.

Phuh.
    Turns out that about half of the kids didn't have helmets, which pleases me hugely. And they went on the roads.

Ohmigawd. Won't someone please THINK OF THE CHILDREN?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • redvee
    Mis-read the time of the coach this morning and turned up an hour early, knowing the coach driver meant I got on the 07:45 coach instead of the 08:30 :)
  • Topaxci
    Topaxci Posts: 106
    Fitted my road bike with a 71 reflective spoke strips this week.
    Wish I had bought them earlier, they are great.
    Getting loads of strange looks from other cyclists and peds as my wheels give off a blurry glow as I go past.
    I am well lit anyway but they are just the icing on the cake - Got them while both my commutes are still dark but may just leave them on all year now, they weigh next to nothing.
    Good times. :D
  • mudcow007
    redvee wrote:
    Mis-read the time of the coach this morning and turned up an hour early, knowing the coach driver meant I got on the 07:45 coach instead of the 08:30 :)

anrt you a bit young for coach trips?
  • redvee
    mudcow007 wrote:
    redvee wrote:

anrt you a bit young for coach trips?

Saga does great discounts on coach journeys and even more on bike bits via their www.sagashop.org.uk
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    After many arguments with IT about them still using IE7 and not upgrading I took matters into my own hands.

Chrome Portable on a USB drive works perfectly and means I have all my bookmarks and passwords at work now! (Also websites show properly again) :D