Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    **Non Bike related**

just had to speak to someone at Microsoft about a software activation told them what was happened an then said i would need a different prod key, 30 secs later they gave me key

thanks Microsoft! (you dont hear that much!!)
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    We now have secure bike parking at work. :)

Unfortunately the racks inside are 'wheel benders' but I should be able to put the bike side on and lock it to a rack, I think there'll only be a couple of bikes in there anyway, so hogging 2-3 racks won't be a problem.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Anti-rant for my LBS.

My b/f and I went in to buy a set of 28mm Armadillos for my bike, and a set of 25mm to get his Pinarello set up again for when his neck injury recovers.

Chatting with the staff, b/f was saying that his neck is not yet properly healed so LBS staff suggested waiting until it is better to get the tyres rather than buying them now.

They then discovered that they did not have the 28 mm tyres I wanted in stock, but knowing I was planning on using them in a timed ride tomorrow, the boss leant me a pair off his own bike!

I suppose that it does mean that I didn't go out to Evans and spend my money there, but I thought the service was worthy of an anti-rant.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've been fiddling around with my not-quite-right-but-usually-works front mech for ages now. I noticed last night that the BB was missing a spacer. Put it in, tweaked the mech, and all is well :D
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Dropping the car off at Audi for my free service this evening (saving £408) and free MOT (saving £50), and cycling home afterwards.

This means I was in my cycling kit when I walked into the building... the look on the receptionists face: Priceless :D:lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • First commute after 8am, hit the traffic head on, bumber to bumper. So much fun nipping through the stationary cars leaving them all behind - this is why I love commuting on the bike :)
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    My go was on The Top Tenuous this morning on the wireless. How long does it take for the cheque to arrive?
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Took my two kids out last night for the first time in our new Burley Bee bike trailer. They bloody loved it, and so did I. I was surprised how well it ran and that part from the weight uphills you are not aware of the trailer at all - it seems to make no different to bike handling. Far far nice riding experience than with a baby seat stuck above the rear wheel.

I'll be dropping little-uns off at nursery and school on Mon, Weds, & Friday from now on. The test now is to do it quicker than my wife who'll be doing the same run in the car on Tues and Thurs. Game on!
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I've been meaning to post this all day, I've only just got over the shock of it. Arround the Bexleyheath Broadway area this morning I saw a bus start to pull across my path with the usual indicate late and to hell with everyone else attitude I've come to associate with busses in this part of the world. Halfway out the bus driver actually checked the road, saw me, stopped and waved me out in front of him :shock: and then sat back a respectful distance from me. I have since surmised that there must be a wormhole in the area and I entered a parrallel universe for a second or two.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    It does completely throw you doesn't it. You just sit there thinking, "Eh? But... what the... " Then your paranoia kicks in and you start thinking, "It must be a trap."
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Two days ago I was in the office at 10 o'clock as the work was mounting up with no apparent sign of relenting and then one deal folds, one deal goes back to credit, one goes elsewhere and one completes and my day off tomorrow is now secure and the week leading up to my wedding (next week) looks relatively clear to get my nails and hair done and generally get excited.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    edited September 2011
    I just the most relaxing and just flaming fantastic ride home tonight. Dropped the car off at Audi for its final free Service and then rode home along the canal path and River path (Trent) from Nottingham to the Sawley Marina. Glorious evening: sunny, warm, NO WIND. Loads of people out - lots of friendly smiles and waves. It really doesn't get any better :D

I even had loads of courteous drivers when I got back onto the roads as well....

and 'cos I took it easy (well, you had to) I had loads of energy to go powering up the hill I live on in my normal flat road cruising gear!
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Rich158 wrote:
    I have since surmised that there must be a wormhole in the area and I entered a parrallel universe for a second or two.

I found the considerate driver wormhole today too.

I was coming along the South Circular at Dulwich just after 9pm - single carriageway. Heard a rumble, glanced round and there's a big HGV coming along behind me. Facing forward, there's a single decker bus and a stream of traffic in the oncoming lane. There's just about enough room for another vehicle to pass me - but an HGV there is bloody terrifying from past experience. You can almost feel yourself about to be sucked under <shudder> and I considered whether to try to spot the next dropped kerb and get off the road.

But the driver stayed at a pleasant distance behind me (i.e. not looming a foot from my rear wheel) until not only the oncoming traffic had cleared but until he could see far enough around the next bend to ensure that no more traffic would come along until he'd completed the overtake. When he did pass me, he did it with about a car's width of space and was careful when he pulled back in again. Wow! I was so impressed I considered emailing Sainsburys to congratulate him.
  • Rich158 wrote:
    I have since surmised that there must be a wormhole in the area and I entered a parrallel universe for a second or two.

I found the considerate driver wormhole today too.

I was coming along the South Circular at Dulwich just after 9pm - single carriageway. Heard a rumble, glanced round and there's a big HGV coming along behind me. Facing forward, there's a single decker bus and a stream of traffic in the oncoming lane. There's just about enough room for another vehicle to pass me - but an HGV there is bloody terrifying from past experience. You can almost feel yourself about to be sucked under <shudder> and I considered whether to try to spot the next dropped kerb and get off the road.

But the driver stayed at a pleasant distance behind me (i.e. not looming a foot from my rear wheel) until not only the oncoming traffic had cleared but until he could see far enough around the next bend to ensure that no more traffic would come along until he'd completed the overtake. When he did pass me, he did it with about a car's width of space and was careful when he pulled back in again. Wow! I was so impressed I considered emailing Sainsburys to congratulate him.

You should....

I did:

http://youtu.be/9U94jr60Pfw?hd=1
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Not entirely convinced I can recall his registration so they may not be able to identify him but I guess it can't hurt to try. Off to find an email address...
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I just the most relaxing and just flaming fantastic ride home tonight. Dropped the car off at Audi for its final free Service and then rode home along the canal path and River path (Trent) from Nottingham to the Sawley Marina.
    Ah - Sawley Marina. <pauses for happy thoughts...> That was one of my favourite routes when I lived up that way, esp the road out of the top of Kegworth (checks, Long Lane it's called) that brings you out next to the marina, and then the loop back through Keggy, Sutton B and onto Gotham City. You're a lucky man having all that at your fingertips. This bit around Bucks & Oxon ain't so bad mind. Today was another marvellous commute - no real wind, smiley traffic, generous truck divers etc. And as a bonus I've just had the call to say that the car has passed its MOT, with just a number plate bulb to be changed.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    5 Asian lads in a beamer on the A4 on the way home last night. Drew up alongside and complimented me on my speed (nicely), overtook and then got caught at lights. As I filtered past they applauded.... :oops:

Suspicious initially they were taking the piss, but think they were just genuinely having fun and being nice. Good banter.
  • It's Long Lane I come back down to get back home - I pop out onto the road just North of the Marina and then loop around it to get to Long Lane.

It's especially fun to cycle over the A453 at rush hour to see the miles of traffic queuing to get to the M1.... :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Vacansoleil people/workers giving out some of their water bottles to kids with their families, nice guys :thumbup:
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    New Gatorskins fitted over the weekend (replacing Armadillos). I was skeptical at first that they would make a difference but the ride felt so much smoother this morning. :)
  • Absolute gem on the BBC London News just now

A woman claims to be a cyclist but believes non road tax paying cyclists should have no say over putting more 20mph speed limits in London.

HAHAHAHAHA, too funny to be taken seriously.
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I rode in on my cross bike today as I was hoping to do some training after work. Still at work - but looking forward to riding it home!
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I got my first scalp :D
  • The sweet sound of the stone I inadvertently flicked up firing into the side of the van who was overtaking me far too closely. That's what karma'll do when you mess with Juan Pantelon!
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I managed to spend most of Sunday in my workshop making a spice rack. Yes, that cliche of childrens woodwork lessons, a spice rack.

Made mine out of three feet of English oak that I had left over however. Pegged and glued, not a joint detectable to the fingertip and fragrant with had rubbed wax into mirror sanded surfaces. It's the most over engineered spice rack in the history of racks for spices :D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rjsterry
    SimonAH wrote:
    I managed to spend most of Sunday in my workshop making a spice rack. Yes, that cliche of childrens woodwork lessons, a spice rack.

Made mine out of three feet of English oak that I had left over however. Pegged and glued, not a joint detectable to the fingertip and fragrant with had rubbed wax into mirror sanded surfaces. It's the most over engineered spice rack in the history of racks for spices :D

You sir, are a joinery tart.

This I think might appeal - one for the Christmas list?

http://www.mallinson.co.uk/courses_and_breaks.html
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    SimonAH wrote:
    I Pegged and glued, not a joint detectable to the fingertip and fragrant with had rubbed wax into mirror sanded surfaces. It's the most over engineered spice rack in the history of racks for spices :D

the company i work make bespoke oak furniture an use waxes that smell absolutely lovely

they use stuff called "Osmo" which they all love

its great when i go camping there are loads of off cuts of oak lying around which i take as fire wood, oak smell fabulous as it burns
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • rjsterry
    Ooh, we specify their stuff on our projects. I think it's mainly vegetable based (linseed and such), rather than petroleum based, so nice to use and good for children's toys too.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• SimonAH wrote:

I need to make one of those bad boys... Dad has some interesting bits of wood in ye olde garage much to mums consternation.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • rjsterry
    A big thumbs up to Cyclelab. I'm nowhere near trendy enough to shop there, but they manage to unstick my stuck pedal. Thankfully this was properly stuck, not idiot stuck (i.e. trying to undo it the wrong way) - even with his 2ft Parktool workshop pedal spanner he had to give it some welly. New Wellgo's now on and feel much less rattly.

Didn't fancy a smoothie, but bought a spare rear light by way of thanks.
    Pinnacle Monzonite