Ronde van Vlaanderen *spoilers*

Comments

• Pokerface wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    After Boonen sucked wheel most of the day, it's nice to see him dropped so easily.

Ehh? Have you been watching a different race from me?

Cancellara did more than his share on the front once the two of them broke away. Boonen took some turns, yes. But not an equal split.

To be fair, I wouldn't even consider swapping turns with Fabu!
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    CANCELLARA

This guy is absolutely unmatchable for power. Seeing him ride away from Boonen was amazing - 1min in 6kms. Although Boonen also cracked rather than Cancellara attacking to start. Great to see Boonen continue hard for a solo second.

Basically a perfect situation to see the two best riders soloing by themselves 40km from the finish. Boonen definitely did much less on the front and for that I was hoping that should they arrive at the finish then Cancellara would win.

The great thing about these races is that, barring bad luck, the strongest will always prevail.

Excellent seeing Millar and also Gilbert attacking. The places of honour go to those who hunt them, not people like Hincapie who suck wheels dry.

Nice to see Farrar up there in the leading peloton. Armstrong looking very strong and sending out a message.

Looking forward to seeing some of the great photos.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,869
    edited April 2010
    Pokerface wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    After Boonen sucked wheel most of the day, it's nice to see him dropped so easily.

Cancellara did more than his share on the front once the two of them broke away. Boonen took some turns, yes. But not an equal split.

to be fair I doubt you could sit in on his wheel
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    edited April 2010
    PAULCUTHBERT - Sorry - I've just been bitten too many times in the past by fantastic rides.
  • frenchfighter
    edited April 2010
    Boonen just said he was riding at 55km/h and hour and he Fabu was still taking time out of him :shock:

Glad I had the right avatar :wink:

I wished Breschel was in the mix...some seriously bad mechanic support. He was looking super smooth early on.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mididoctors
    BAMM!
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    Fabian said that he always had a battle with this race. I think he won it today :)
  • mididoctors
    Boonen just said he was riding at 55km/h and hour and he Fabu was still taking time out of him :shock:

Glad I had the right avatar :wink:

fab did the last 4 k in under 5 mins
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    cougie wrote:
    PAULCUTHBERT - Sorry - I've just been bitten too many times in the past by fantastic rides.

Yeah, but unless you've just started watching, Cancellara ALWAYS has awesome power - winning a TdF prologue in your first ever race, countless charges setting the pace up climbs, and awesome TT wins.

He's just a beast!
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,041
    Well done Fab & Tom, great race.

BTW - another top 10 for Maxim Iglinskiy, he is having a great season 8) .
  • mididoctors
    edited April 2010
    KAPOW!
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    So... Liege and Lombardy... is it possible?
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    what a win by FC..those cadences he was beating out. Great tenacious riding by Millar too...and Armstrong performance is interesting. Wonder what he will be like by Liege and Amstel?
  • mididoctors
    KERSPLAMMO!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    cougie wrote:

Yeah, but unless you've just started watching, Cancellara ALWAYS has awesome power - winning a TdF prologue in your first ever race, countless charges setting the pace up climbs, and awesome TT wins.

He's just a beast!

Oh sure - he is a beast - no doubt about it - no wonder he snapped that chain last year ?!
  • frenchfighter
    KERSPLAMMO!

Getting familiar the options :lol:
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mididoctors
    Dave_1 wrote:
    what a win by FC..those cadences he was beating out. Great tenacious riding by Millar too...and Armstrong performance is interesting. Wonder what he will be like by Liege and Amstel?

my penny's worth...

LA practicing for the cobbled tour stages where he hopes to do some damage is my guess

Millar gave it a good go but got stuck to the Murr..no thanks to Leukemans who sucked so hard he had his neck jammed in Millars and Gilbert's sphincter

impressive play by Millar who just needs that little bit extra extra terrestrial factor (enough..of that)

as for Boonen not pulling in front.. i seriously think his legs were coming off just being with Cancellara..

Boonen did the best ride he could... he marked Breschel and neutralised that threat and then went with fabian...who just kept riding..

Boonen was the 2nd strongest guy on the day ...he looked psychologically damaged on the line...he cracked in his mind.....

Sky just lack a bit in the longer races still... did well but rode too hard too early I guess..."flecha looking up the road while Heyman looked at it" was a great Harmon line
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Pokerface wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

I can't see why Boonen even co-operated for a second with Cancellara. He was by far the strongest sprinter in the bunch, which was dominated by QS anyway, so why not just sit on Fab's wheel and let him do all the hard work? If they get reeled in, better for Boonen, if Cancellara tows him all the way, better for Boonen.

Still, I've never cycled the Tour of Flanders, so I'll have to admit that Tom Boonen probably knows how to handle the race a bit better than me. I'm just bitter 'cos I had him down as my PTP pick. :(
  • frenchfighter
    In case you missed it an were wondering what the Katusha helmets were all about:

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/ra ... zerrvv.jpg

There is an article on CNews about it too.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pokerface wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

to be fair I doubt you could sit in on his wheel

I wasn't talking about me personally, more talking about Boonen. Regardless, I'd still sit on!
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    edited April 2010
    In case you missed it an were wondering what the Katusha helmets were all about:

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/ra ... zerrvv.jpg

There is an article on CNews about it too.

Pretty good idea. Now I have an excuse to get a new one :wink:

Magnificent ride by Chinny. Gave it lalldy and handed Tom a right beasting!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Ja Canc was mega.

Surprised to see you all winge about Boonen taking less turns with Canc.

Why should he? They were increasing the gap without Boonen really going for it. Save some energy.

Didn't matter anyway. Canc probably could have solo-ed the last 40km with that form.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639

I wasn't talking about me personally, more talking about Boonen. Regardless, I'd still sit on!

You could with one of these:

http://www.holcroscycles.com/product_im ... _Large.jpg
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Good race.

I thought Boonen rode very smart but Luig...I mean Fab was too strong.

Classy way to win
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • A perfect result for SaxoBank. They rode hard for Spartacus all day. Fab's attack on Charlie Boonen was executed to perfection at just the right time and to watch him TT it all the way to the finish just left me open-mouthed at his power and poise on a bike yet again.

A great race to watch.

( A special award to Millar for giving it a crack as well )
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    Good old British ES. the third group over the line haven't un-clipped their pedals and we've got highlights of yesterdays boat race. Good coverage, granted, but could we have just a wee bit more. Interviews, even the presentation.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    pat1cp wrote:
    Good old British ES. the third group over the line haven't un-clipped their pedals and we've got highlights of yesterdays boat race. Good coverage, granted, but could we have just a wee bit more. Interviews, even the presentation.

Learn a little Dutch and the Sporza internet feed is your friend.

I had my laptop next to me blaring out the Sporza coverage, with Eurosport HD muted on the TV.

Shweet.
  • frenchfighter
    Or if you don't understand Dutch you can listen to the RTBF guys in French.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • liamg
    liamg Posts: 193
    Or if you don't understand Dutch you can listen to the RTBF guys in French.

+1. I really enjoyed their coverage of this race