Fat bloke wanting to start cycling to work

124»

Comments

• davis wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Excellent work.

Keep an eye on that numbness; if it persists there could be other ways to resolve it than better gloves.

Hi

The gloves didn't help the numb hand issue much. What else should I try?

Do you wear a backpack? If I wear one the straps cut across my shoulders and reduce the bloodflow.

No backpack. My hands didn't numb up on the ride home today, maybe I am getting used to it.

That could be a possibility.

I find I get numb hands when I hold onto the bars too tightly. So a relaxed grip on the bars helps massively
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    It's probably due to your riding style.

If you ride with your wrists bent, you can trap the ulnar nerve and this will induce numbnes. You need to make sure your wrists are straight when cycling, which admittedly can be difficult when you're tired.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Rykard
    Rykard Posts: 582
    change your hand positions regularly too
    Cheers
    Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching.
  • Zombie_donkey
    Zombie_donkey Posts: 359
    I'm still at it.

For the last two weeks I have sped up enough to no longer be overtaken by everyone else on the cycle path.

And today I overtook my first bikes. Yes two.

The first was a young woman riding one of them old fashion style bikes that look like they are made of pig iron, she had office clothes on and a handbag dangling from the handle bar so I guess that one didn't count :lol:

The second one on the way home was a bloke who was younger than me and on a well used mountain bike. I took him on a hill and he didn't catch me up. :D
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506

Chapeau.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • MadammeMarie
    MadammeMarie Posts: 621
    I'm still at it.

For the last two weeks I have sped up enough to no longer be overtaken by everyone else on the cycle path.

The first was a young woman riding one of them old fashion style bikes that look like they are made of pig iron, she had office clothes on and a handbag dangling from the handle bar so I guess that one didn't count :lol:

They ALL count! :)
    The second one on the way home was a bloke who was younger than me and on a well used mountain bike. I took him on a hill and he didn't catch me up. :D

Excellent, well done! :)
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Great stuff ZD! :D

How are the aches and pains? All gone?
  • DevUK
    DevUK Posts: 299
    Nice one ZD :) As a fellow fat git I salute you. I love seeing other cyclists on my way to work. It really spurs me on to catch/overtake :lol: Unfortunately my route doesn't seem to have that many cyclists on it :roll: you'd think 10 miles of busy country B roads and city suburbs would have more cyclists on them :(
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5
  • Zombie_donkey
    Great stuff ZD! :D

How are the aches and pains? All gone?

My butt is fine now thanks to padded shorts :lol:
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • freakybacon
    freakybacon Posts: 36
    Going well- keep it up!
    The beatings, horsewhippings and torture will continue until performance improves to an acceptable level. This may take some time.
  • Zombie_donkey
    :D
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick