Fat bloke wanting to start cycling to work

Zombie_donkey
Zombie_donkey Posts: 359
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
I was going to do this last year but my company stopped the Cycle2work scheme.

Anyway. I am mid 30s unfit, overweight - 5'7" 17.5stone, but I used to bike everywhere until I was 20 and had to sell my bike to pay for car insurance. I remember it being fun and cheaper than the car.

I'm thinking of getting an aluminium hybrid bike but I worry about the following.

I will have 4 miles along a reasonably flat cycle path to get to work but there are no showers at work.

I fear I will be sat, drenched in sweat at my desk for much of the morning with a big red face.

Should I just keep using the focus or just go for it and hope my boss has a defibrilator?
And then what about the chafing from my short fat hairy legs?

Comments from anyone else who is / was in a similar situation would be appreciated.
Giant Escape M1....
Penny Farthing
Unicycle
The bike the Goodies rode
Pogo Stick
Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,

Comments

• Oh hello everyone by the way :lol:
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I cycle 5 miles to work - really not far enough to break sweat - I wouldn't worry too much about overheating at that distance. Take your time and go faster as the fitness builds up. Remember its not a race so make sure you go at a comfortable pace.*

*Last statement may be a lie
  • infopete
    infopete Posts: 878
    4 miles on the flat........ pedal slow and enjoy the ride you'll never work up a sweat.

As you get fitter,pedal faster.

Then when your hair is worn off your short, but thinner, legs you can pedal faster still :)
    Oh and please remember to click on my blog:

http://americanbicyclegroup.wordpress.com

The more clicks I get the higher it creeps up the google radar :)
  • sharm1969ca
    sharm1969ca Posts: 136
    Hi ZD,
    Dont worry about there not being any showers at work mate! you can squaddy wash, thats just flannel and soap and a sink or failing that use baby wipes! I know its only 4 miles like you said so i cant see you sweating that much to cause you any real problems and if your as much out of shape as you think you are dont worry about it as you'll soon get your fitness up. Why dont you start going to work slowly by setting off earlier in the morning take your time to judge your own fitness and to see how long it takes you at a steady level and then push it on the way back as you'll be able to get a shower at home. keep us updated as to how you get on
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Welcome to the site, for the first few weeks just take it easy and allow yourself enough time to do the distance in a slow enough pace that you are comfy and gradually build up the speed, it's how I did it and got my time for a 7 mile canal towpath commute when i lived in birmingham down from 40 to a low of 22 mins over a few months.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Hello, welcome, and congratulations.

I don't think 4 miles on flat-ish cycle path is going to tax you that much. Start as slow as you need to avoid sweating too much (start soon, because it's colder now and you can get a little bit of training in), and you'll probably be alright.

I've heard of baby wipes as a post-commute option too, but I've always been lucky with the showers; keep up the cycling and have a word about shower facilities (it's unlikely, but you never know)
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,358
    I fear I will be sat, drenched in sweat at my desk for much of the morning with a big red face.

You probably will

But you'll be smiling.

Some inspiration. This dude was more than twice your weight.

http://theamazing39stonecyclist.wordpress.com/
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563

Anyway. I am mid 30s unfit, overweight - 5'7" 17.5stone, but I used to bike everywhere until I was 20 and had to sell my bike to pay for car insurance. I remember it being fun and cheaper than the car.

I'm thinking of getting an aluminium hybrid bike but I worry about the following.

I will have 4 miles along a reasonably flat cycle path to get to work but there are no showers at work.

Should I just keep using the focus or just go for it and hope my boss has a defibrilator?

Comments from anyone else who is / was in a similar situation would be appreciated.

Firstly, welcome! :D

To use the focus or get a hybrid...

Well, if the Focus is a roadie, to me the hybrid seems like an unecessary step backwards. You'll be no less sweaty on a hybrid! If it's an MTB, well, the extra weight will make you fitter :)

4 flat miles shouldn't be too bad, the advice above to go gentle on the way in and hammer it home is great. You will get to know how fast you can go without ending up looking a mess, and that will get faster and faster!

If you're in an office block, befriend the building manager/caretaker/cleaner - there may be a shower somewhere you can use! If not, wipes are great, keep work clothes at work if you can, and don't worry about the red face - it'll fade... :D

As far as chafing, get some padded cycling shorts. They help... a lot.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Without sounding alarmist I would see your GP first for a quick check-up.

Tell him what you plan to do, he will probably do a few routine checks, blood pressure being the obvious one.

Before you start your commuting to work I would start cycling at weekends or in the evening to see what you're in for.

4 miles may not seem very much, but if you are unfit and haven't cycled for some time you may be in for a shock.

I've convinced a few people at work to give cycling a go, they were shocked at how difficult they found it, within a couple of miles they were out of breath and had to stop.

Take it easy and build up your fitness, don't expect to find it as easy as you did when you were 20, but if you persevere, within a few months you will rediscover the cycling bug.
    Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    Well, if the Focus is a roadie, quote]

Now there is a chance he's going to bin his Cayo for a hybrid, but I reckon he might mean a Ford Focus :D
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646

I started a 4 mile commute after 20 years of being a sedantry smoker,
    go for it , you'll be suprised how quickly you get used to it - if you take it easy on 4 miles you can get away with just a change of clothes when you get in to work. WOuldn't worry about proper cycle shorts either at that distance, you'll soon work out which of your shreddies have the seams in the right place
  • ince
    ince Posts: 289
    Showers not a prob if you have a sink as stated by others. This is what I have been doing for the past two years and I have yet to have a complaint from any other office dwellers.

I would recommend getting some padded shorts, better comfort. This may also help encourage you to go further thus improving fitness.

I too was in a similar condition when I started, 5'6 and just shy of the 17st. When may first son was born I decided I needed to get fit just to have the energy to keep up. 2 1/2 years later and now 13 and half stone. Target for end of year is 12st 6.

If you used to love cycling you will soon get back inti it. Join the stats page and you will soon find yourself looking for longer rides. :twisted:

oh and welcome :D
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    rally200 wrote:
    Well, if the Focus is a roadie, quote]

Now there is a chance he's going to bin his Cayo for a hybrid, but I reckon he might mean a Ford Focus :D
    I thought that as well.

And ZD, if I can haul my fat @rse up the hills around here I'm sure you'll manage OK on a flat 4 miles. But go out a couple of practise runs to see how you'll get on.
  • tomb353
    tomb353 Posts: 196
    if the focus is a ford, perhaps start out by bringing the bike in on a rack and then cycling home from work, get as sweaty as you want (gets complicated as you wake up the next morning with no car).

I have always been someone who sweats heavily whatever I do, metabolism just works that way i guess, and being overweight didn't help. Some people suggest using an antibacterial on armpits and groin a couple of times a week to kill off the microbes which eat the sweat and cause odour. Also think in terms of wearing as little as possible for the ride in even if you feel cold when you start off, you will soon warm up (fat man in vest top, have no shame :-). If it rains and its not too freezing there is an argument that you are better off just getting wet over a 4 mile / 20 min ride rather than bothering with rain gear, skin is waterproof :-). When you get to work stay outside and cool down before rushing into the office, I find that you sweat more once you stop as you nolonger have the wind on you cooling you down.

If you are worried about chaffing use cycling shorts (can be baggy mountain bike ones if you don't want to wear skin tight into the office). Also google "chamois cream".
    vendor of bicycle baskets & other stuff www.tynebicycle.co.uk
    www.tynebicycle.co.uk/blog
    Kinesis Tripster
    Gazelle NY Cab
    Surly Steamroller
    Cannondale F100
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,125
    just go for it!
  • Welcome to the site. I think there are a fair few of us on here who started in a similar way. (Mine was a mid life crisis but a I cannot afford a sports car).

Wet wipes are good and I would suggest a trial run at the weekend to see how you get on and check the route.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing how much you enjoyed the ride.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Just another suggestion, if there are no facilities at work why not request that your company supply them.

It's in their interest that their workforce is fit and healthy, though obviously most don't give a s*** . :roll:

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • zrazzle
    zrazzle Posts: 79
    Just wear a vest and then change tops when you get in? When I started (only a couple of months ago mind) I was wearing jeans (doh) and that was awful. Definitely all about the shorts (not ready for lycra yet!). And leave a can of spanish at work! Totally go for it.
  • Paul E
    zrazzle wrote:
    Just wear a vest and then change tops when you get in? When I started (only a couple of months ago mind) I was wearing jeans (doh) and that was awful. Definitely all about the shorts (not ready for lycra yet!). And leave a can of spanish at work! Totally go for it.

Jeans, ouch bet that was either really warm and sweaty or they rubbed you something awful.

@Z_D
    I would do a few "dry" runs at weekends to to see how long it takes and what state you are in too which will also break you in and start your fitness off instead of jumping staright into a live commute.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    wot the others said, a good flannel wash or baby wipes and a can of deodourant and you're away.

take it slow at first, if you're on the flat then you don't need to break sweat.

Also start lobbying your bosses on health, fitness, Green grounds. you could go for a bit of dumb insolence - do work up a sweat for a few days and sit there red faced and steam rising off you just to show the downside of poor facilities.

What are the other facilities like? lockers, hanging space for cycling kit / work clothes. is there somewhere you can put wet kit to dry during the day? somewhere safe and secure for your bike.

as to the bike, the hybrid/roadie debate rages on ad infinitum on here - its horses for courses and you'll often hear the argument, I started on a hybrid and then upgraded.....

As a returnee to cycling & quite a round shape, would you feel safer and more comfortable sat more upright, able to see through / over the cars better than down on the drops in a more aerodynamic position?

Do you want comfort or speed as your prime concern right now - 23mm wide racer tyres at 120psi are far less forgiving of lumps and bumps in the road than 30+mm wide hybrid tyres at 60-80psi are. Racing bikes can also be a bit more skittish and unstable for the newbie given their far more razor blade like profile onto the road.

You'd also have more scope to experiment with different sorts of surface / trail riding etc on a hybrid, road bikes do tend to have a bit of a clue in the name. You could cut your options down for re-acquainting yourself with cycling and if you've got kids, for yomping round the local parks and reservoirs with them if you go straight to a racer type.

The only real proviso is avoid the Bike Shaped Objects that supermarkets and the like sell, anything new under £150 wont be up to much and it's the £250-300 mark that viable new bikes tend to come in at.

You could also give the second hand market a bash or ask for anyone that's got a bike they want rid of at work or via the small ads in your local paper or try your local freecycle website.
    The number of nice bikes dying slowly in sheds that have never been used more than once is astonishing.

Personally I'd give it 12 months on a cheaper / second hand all rounder of a bike to see if nostalgia stacks up to current reality and then think about upgrading (or not) to something longer term that fits what you're doing on a bike.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    suzyb wrote:
    rally200 wrote:
    Well, if the Focus is a roadie,

I thought that as well.

And ZD, if I can haul my fat @rse up the hills around here I'm sure you'll manage OK on a flat 4 miles. But go out a couple of practise runs to see how you'll get on.

:lol::lol:

That didn't even enter my head!
  • Paul E
    suzyb wrote:
    rally200 wrote:
    Well, if the Focus is a roadie,

I thought that as well.

:lol::lol:

That didn't even enter my head!

Nor mine but in those situations I keep my mouth shut as I had been in loads of mouth and foot scenes over the years so I keep it shut now, mostly!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Couple of extra pointers to make things easier:

Survival kit (no I don't mean an oxygen bottle and chocolate 8) )

At work
    Spare clothes
    . grundies
    . socks
    . shirt
    . trousers
    . shoes
    Cleaning kit
    . towel (quick dry one)
    . under-arm anti-pong
    . talc (trust me on this...)
    . hair stuff if you use it

Basically you have at work EVERYTHING you need to get through the day. You carry in a clean shirt and towel (plus your normal keys, wallet, watch combo)

If you have everything you have no pressure to remember everything AND it makes being at work so much easier.

Get the logistics right, the ride becomes less mental hassle and you have less stopping you.

Oh yeah. People WILL take the p*ss, they just do. I consoled myself with the obvious looks I got from the women as my weight went down... :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    I found that people didnt really take the p*ss (apart from Max Wall comments - ask your dad), even though I'd often be seen walking around the yard in tights with a fleece and hi-viz on at the end of the day on my way back from changing, and this was from a bunch of truckers. They actually were really supportive, especially when they realised where I was riding from and to each day.

And KB is right - as the weight comes off anyone that did take the p*ss will be a distant memory as the girls (and some guys) start to check you out again. :oops:
    us0.png
  • snellgrove
    snellgrove Posts: 171

Well, if the Focus is a roadie, to me the hybrid seems like an unecessary step backwards. You'll be no less sweaty on a hybrid! If it's an MTB, well, the extra weight will make you fitter :)

4 flat miles shouldn't be too bad, the advice above to go gentle on the way in and hammer it home is great. You will get to know how fast you can go without ending up looking a mess, and that will get faster and faster!

If you're in an office block, befriend the building manager/caretaker/cleaner - there may be a shower somewhere you can use! If not, wipes are great, keep work clothes at work if you can, and don't worry about the red face - it'll fade... :D

As far as chafing, get some padded cycling shorts. They help... a lot.

+1 on pretty much all that she just typed.

I cycle 3 miles to work (fairly hilly) and I have to push pretty hard to work up a sweat that I'd be worried about.

If you do go for a hybrid, get one with lock-out on the front suspension and 700c wheels.

I got my Mrs a Scott P3 sportster solution which features the above (the 'P3' is the blokes one, solution is the womens) (one of these) you get a lot of bike for your money these days.

Basically the 700c wheels = road bike wheels, and lock out means you can basically disable the suspension. Thus, you go faster when on tarmac (bit more like a road bike) but have the flexibility of a hybrid if you wanted it.

I also leave yesterdays clothes (trousers, shirt - not undies!) at work in case I forget to bring clean ones in.. has helped a couple of times!
  • I was going to do this last year but my company stopped the Cycle2work scheme.

Well, if the Focus is a roadie, to me the hybrid seems like an unecessary step backwards..

I think he means the Ford Focus, as in the CAR....
  • mark1964
    mark1964 Posts: 54
    Hi ZombieDonkey.

I commute 4.5 miles along the Bristol railway path every day, about 9 miles in total. I always arrive at the office on time (barring punctures). Start easy and allow yourself extra time. You'll notice your waistline starting to shrink in about a month. I bought some 34-35 inch waist jeans before Xmas and they were tight on me then. Now I need a belt to keep 'em up - back down to 32 inch waist now. Just make the commute a normal part of your life and you'll burn off those calories quickly. However, don't pile them on again by eating junk. Eat sensibly and the commute will burn off the flab.

I'll bet you'll lose a couple of stone by the end of the year. :D
    "Anything for a weird life"

Zaphod Beeblebrox
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Couple of extra pointers to make things easier:
    <chop>
    What he said. Ideally take as much stuff in as you think you'll need on one day - maybe go in the car once a week to take a week's worth of cothes etc to the office, and to bring home the used stuff when you go home. The less you carry the better the ride, and it guarantees that you won't arrive with the realisation that you've no clean pants or whatever.

I use my car day to pop down to the nearest Tesco to buy a pile of fruit & yoghurts to nibble on through the days that I ride in. It keeps me off the stuff that negates the benfits of riding in.
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048

You probably will

But you'll be smiling.

Ahh that would be me, thanks for the big up tailwind, I have to agree with everyone else, start now, its cold and windy, keep it steady and then by summer you will be dropping us damm roadies :D

PS I have only ever needed to show at work once, baby wipes are good, as is Lynx :D
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    gb155 wrote:

You probably will

But you'll be smiling.

Ahh that would be me, thanks for the big up tailwind, I have to agree with everyone else, start now, its cold and windy, keep it steady and then by summer you will be dropping us damm roadies :D

PS I have only ever needed to show at work once, baby wipes are good, as is Lynx :D

why the hell are you getting involved in this discussion? :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter