Fat bloke wanting to start cycling to work

Comments

• I went to Evans in MK

The girl who came to assist me was hopeless I'm afraid. No enthusiasm and just put me off spending my money there.

My enquiry about what was available was answered with the suggestion that I look at their website!

I may be venturing into dodgy territory here, but if you genuinely can use spanners, etc., or have a mate who really can, there was a guy on here a while back who really loved:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... mpid=COJUN

For that price, it's more than halfwey decent (Sora gearing, decent frame).
  • The only trouble with Argos is their appalling after sales service if you need to return an item.

Anyway I ordered the Subway and I am picking it up from Halfords tomorrow afternoon.

Now. I found a reasonable 5 number combination lock but I am not sure what to do about a helmet.

I'll get a cheapo one for now, although I do like the Boardman ones.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • I have a covered area outside the front of my house.

Are the bike hanging hooks ok?

You hang them by the wheel, they won't damage the wheel? I'll stick one on the wall inside the brick built cupboard along with a steel anchoring point.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    Hi, I`m new on here too but regarding a helmet I got mine from Tesco and it`s more comfortable for me than any of the more expensive ones I tried which I just couldn`t get on with. I`m hoping that noone will come on here now and tell me I might as well have a bag on my head as it`s useless!!
  • dugliss wrote:
    Hi, I`m new on here too but regarding a helmet I got mine from Tesco and it`s more comfortable for me than any of the more expensive ones I tried which I just couldn`t get on with. I`m hoping that noone will come on here now and tell me I might as well have a bag on my head as it`s useless!!

I know as far as Motor bike helmets are concerned you get what you pay for and you can't replace your brain.

I did have a look at them and they did not fit my head. I have found a Giro Stylus at a nearby Halfords, reduced to £20 from £49.99 so I have reserved it online.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • dugliss
    That`s funny, I tried on one of those yesterday when I bought a couple of tubes from Halfords, it was pretty comfortable actually. Maybe I`ll get one when the guys and girls on here tell me I`ve got a death wish with my Tesco one
  • They are cheap because they are discontinued so get one whilst they have em.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • dugliss
    Ok, thanks for the tip
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Now. I found a reasonable 5 number combination lock but I am not sure what to do about a helmet.

Just so you know, most of the those rotating combination locks are awful. I can usually work out the combination fairly quickly by manipulation. Thieves would just use cutters, and these go through the cheaper wire cable locks like a hot cat through butter.

You'll probably be ok, because I don't think (I don't mean this rudely) the Subway would be that desirable.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    The only trouble with Argos is their appalling after sales service if you need to return an item.

Anyway I ordered the Subway and I am picking it up from Halfords tomorrow afternoon.

Good on ya! Take it out for a quick tool around after you've checked it over and you'll be laughing. Please do check it over, though. 5 minutes with an allen key set could save a large amount of pain if an important bolt is loose. The only bolts/screws that you shouldn't mess with are the derailleur adjustment screws. Unless it doesn't shift right, in which case have a read of this page and have a bit of patience.

Strange you say that about Argos, I've always found them brilliant for returning anything. The staff are on minimum wage, so can't be bothered to argue, and a refund is dead easy to get. Could be different for something like a bike.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • I haven't ridden a bike for about 15 years so it should be interesting.

I've ordered some padded shorts and a bunch of LED bike lights. I won't be riding in the dark but LED lights are cool.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • CanalRider
    CanalRider Posts: 194
    I regularly commute now. In the early days I would drive in on Monday with bike and shirts and leave the car there until friday.I soon learnt I didn't need the car so sold it. (Missus has since upgraded her car so the savings aren't that great). I can now fold shirts properly so that isnt and issue and there is a nearby cleaners for suits.

My advice is to get to work earlier to start with, in the early days you will perspire a bit. So give yourself time to stop before having the greek/squaddy shower. Use the homeward journey to up the ante as the showers are there
    --
    Saw a sign on a restaurant that said Breakfast, any time -- so I ordered French Toast in the Renaissance.
  • I picked the bike up from Halfords. Got it home (By car) and set off for where I work straight away.

I didn't heed anyones' warning to check the tightness of all nuts.

Got to work with no trouble. A little bit hot and a little bit sweaty but nowhere near as bad as I expected.

On the way back the LH crank came loose so I had to walk the bike 1.5 miles to the Halfords store.

They didn't argue and the guy just replaced the crank with a new one.

The saddle is like sitting on a rock but I will use padded shorts from now on.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • dugliss
    How are these clowns allowed to put bikes together!! After I`d picked up my Boardman hybrid I took it to an LBS who found several potentially dangerous loose parts and this was after I`d had to pump up the tyre which were on about 30psi when they gave it to me. Nice bike but shocking staff!!
  • lardboy
    And have you now checked all the bolts over?

Once bitten, twice shy...
  • I'm going over it with my torque wrench when I get home. Used the car today.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,187
    I picked the bike up from Halfords. Got it home (By car) and set off for where I work straight away.

Got to work with no trouble. A little bit hot and a little bit sweaty but nowhere near as bad as I expected.

On the way back the LH crank came loose so I had to walk the bike 1.5 miles to the Halfords store.

The Boardman saddles are generally not much cop - mine isn't. Best replaced if you are getitng discomfort rather than just rely on padded shorts.

Fyi same problem with the 'set up' - got my LBS to check the bike over; a good pull upwards on the bars could have had them off :shock:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    I picked the bike up from Halfords. Got it home (By car) and set off for where I work straight away.

The Boardman saddles are generally not much cop - mine isn't. Best replaced if you are getitng discomfort rather than just rely on padded shorts.

Fyi same problem with the 'set up' - got my LBS to check the bike over; a good pull upwards on the bars could have had them off :shock:

Are there any particular saddle brands that are renowned for comfort? I'll happily pay for one that does not kill my bottom. I've never been to prison but I think I would now be prepared for the worst :shock: :lol:
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,187
    Err - I'm no expert as I haven't actually replaced mine yet :oops: Also I have an iron butt which doesn't seem to mind too much (I don't use padded shorts). But the brand names that keep cropping up that I see and seem to be associated with decent quality are Fizik and Selle Italia.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • lardboy
    Saddles are very personal things, because of what they do. The most comfortable saddle I own is a Charge Spoon, but that's just me. Only £20, mind, and you'd get most of that back on eBay
  • I'll google them Charge Spoons.

I got a Gel saddle cover for now. It does add comfort and I will also wear padded shorts.

I'm doing my first proper commute tomorrow.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    I'll google them Charge Spoons.

I got a Gel saddle cover for now. It does add comfort and I will also wear padded shorts.

I'm doing my first proper commute tomorrow.

Good luck!
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • Well, I did it and it was a very successful day.

I could have just gone and sat down in the office and started work but I looked like a scruff so I had to change.

Going home is harder work as it is a bit up hill but it's all good.

I had a crummy afternoon at the office and cycling home past the lakes and river chilled me out before I got home. Nice.

My hands were going a bit numb when I was close to home so I have got some gel fingerless gloves, and a bag that clips to the handles bars, for some tools and other bits.

I'm doing 3 days this week and as long as my backside holds out I plan to do Monday to Friday next week. I start work at 7am next week so it will be a bit colder and I will use my lights in the dim light.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Excellent work.

Keep an eye on that numbness; if it persists there could be other ways to resolve it than better gloves.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Asprilla wrote:
    Excellent work.

Keep an eye on that numbness; if it persists there could be other ways to resolve it than better gloves.

Hi

The gloves didn't help the numb hand issue much. What else should I try?
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • dugliss
    Asprilla wrote:
    Excellent work.

I get numb hands all the time, with or without gloves. Assuming I`m not about to have a heart attack what else could be causing this. By the way, I`ve put on Ergon grips to try and help too but still numb!!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    It's possibly that your reach between saddle and handle bars is a little too long and so you are putting too much pressure on your palms, it depends upon what the numbness is.

You might want to start by moving your saddle forward a little. I recently put a much shorter stem on and it's solver the problem for me.

I'm sure more experienced riders will give better advice.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Asprilla wrote:
    Excellent work.

Hi

Do you wear a backpack? If I wear one the straps cut across my shoulders and reduce the bloodflow.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • davis wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Excellent work.

Hi

Do you wear a backpack? If I wear one the straps cut across my shoulders and reduce the bloodflow.

No backpack. My hands didn't numb up on the ride home today, maybe I am getting used to it.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick