Fat bloke wanting to start cycling to work

Comments

• gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    gb155 wrote:
    I fear I will be sat, drenched in sweat at my desk for much of the morning with a big red face.

You probably will

But you'll be smiling.

Some inspiration. This dude was more than twice your weight.

http://theamazing39stonecyclist.wordpress.com/

Ahh that would be me, thanks for the big up tailwind, I have to agree with everyone else, start now, its cold and windy, keep it steady and then by summer you will be dropping us damm roadies :D

PS I have only ever needed to show at work once, baby wipes are good, as is Lynx :D

why the hell are you getting involved in this discussion? :wink:

Your too kind Mr Hoodie but I still have a good 3 stone to lose yet :D
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,187
    FeynmanC wrote:
    And KB is right - as the weight comes off anyone that did take the p*ss will be a distant memory as the girls (and some guys) start to check you out again. :oops:
    This could be a big motivator for a few people :) At a rather liquid work lunch last week our group secretary told me that the other blokes in our office had been commenting on my physical improvement (in a jealous, rather than a lusting sort of way....) - sounds like some of them were doing the 'mirror, mirror on the wall' routine and had just heard something they didn't want to hear :lol: No interest from the ladies though, but It's a small office :cry::wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • I've not been back on for days because I forgot my log in details. I have them in a bookmark in Chrome but I normally use Firefox.

Thanks for all the advice and support. This is clearly a friendly site. :D

I work every other saturday and I have the whole floor of the building to myself so that would be a good starting point, also it won't matter if I take my time getting in.

I'm looking at the Subway 1 in Halfrauds as it is light and not a bad price. The suggestion of getting a second hand cheapo to begin with might be a good idea though. The bike will need to live in the shed overnight and the shed is a massive mess and I would be less bothered about a £50 bike getting scraped by lawnmower blades and garden tools.

The companies cycle to work scheme is suspended due to some issue with HMRC, otherwise I would already have a bike :roll:
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    One other thing you might consider is joining a local gym where you might can shower after your ride. I used to do that, got my moneys worth in shower facilities, and occasionally found myself actually using the gym! :-)
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    The Halfords Subway range is very decent for the price. Not particularly light for a commuter, but you can easily make it 4 miles on one of them, and it will build up some strength for the inevitable upgrade-itis.

I used the Subway 1 for a year or so, and had to get the rear hanger replaced under warranty 3 times, so unless they've improved it in the last 2 years, this seems to be the weak point. Stock tyres are fine, but nothing special. I'd switch them for something more P* proof after a few months. It's got mountain bike gearing, so you'll spin out quite easily. The chainrings are replaceable, so you can swap the large ring for something with a few more teeth, but you can;t go more much more than 44, as the frame's too tight.

Alternatively you could try a Kona Smoke. It's got a superb steel MTB frame which will ride nicer and hold its value better. Mudguards come as standard, and it can take a rack as well. A bit lighter than a Subway, and now has 29er (700c) wheels so you have a better choice of tyres for road work. The stock tyres are a little balloony for my liking.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    If it's a flat cycle path you shouldn't get out of breath or hot at all, unless you're belting along at 20mph. To some extent distance is irrelevant- 4 miles or 10 miles on the flat won't tire you out if you're taking it easy

4 miles up mount ventoux would!!

Plan for the journey to take 20-25minutes

Bike is important- MTBs with full knobblies are hard work on the road
  • Mike400
    Mike400 Posts: 226
    Hi ZD,
    Dont worry about there not being any showers at work mate! you can squaddy wash, thats just flannel and soap and a sink or failing that use baby wipes! I know its only 4 miles like you said so i cant see you sweating that much to cause you any real problems and if your as much out of shape as you think you are dont worry about it as you'll soon get your fitness up. Why dont you start going to work slowly by setting off earlier in the morning take your time to judge your own fitness and to see how long it takes you at a steady level and then push it on the way back as you'll be able to get a shower at home. keep us updated as to how you get on

+1

No showers in my work, I only started last june when I was 16 stone, and my commute is 10miles.

I have a shower in the morning before I leave, keep some shower-gel in my drawers at work and use the sink in the disabled toilet to give myself a quick wash with a flannel. Dry my hair under the hand drier, whack on some lynx and fresh clothes and im ready to rock.

I have come into work completely drenched after an extended flat out commute before and yes it takes longer than a shower but the flannel + sink approach is enough to leave me feeling fresh.

4 miles is easy peasy. I started cycling in the evenings a month or so before I started commuting, and easily built up to my 10 miles, and I would highly recommend a few test rides along your work route when its quiet just to get a feel for the distance, how you feel after the ride etc. If you can ride the 4 miles in and out (i.e 8 miles in one go) and feel ok after it, youll be flying.

I promise if you give it a few weeks youll be hooked for life and be looking to add more distance on. Frequently take big detours now just for the fun of riding!

Oh and BTW in 10 months ive dropped almost 3 stone, and I havent really changed my eating habits either!!
    twitter @fat_cyclist
  • Mike400
    Just to add to that, get some decent shorts - im not talking Roaddie lycra, but touring shorts with padded inners make all the difference.

Hybrids arent bad but to make life easier you want slick tyres as someone else has said.

Think about how you are going to carry stuff with you - I have panniers because backpacks tend to sweat my back!

Dont skimp on the bike, as always get the best you can afford as nothing will put you off quicker than riding a clunker
    twitter @fat_cyclist
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Hi,

I'm not that skinny and not that fit, but a 4 mile flat commute shouldn't be too bad once you're used to it. But I sympathise with the predicament as I break out in a sweat just looking at a picture of a sunny day....

If you're like me, it's not the exercise that will have you sweating, it'll be subsequently going into the comparatively warm still air in the office.

Is there a coffee bar, tea shack, near the office where you can sit outside? Get there a little bit early and have a nice sit-down and a cold drink outside. Then wheel the bike to the office. If not, make sure you really pootle the last half mile.

A quick tip once you get inside: cool your blood down by running a cold tap and sticking the inside of your wrists in the the flow for as long as you can (minutes).
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Chapeau fella, go for it - Hybrid bike will be fine and you will gain fitness and speed very quickly.
    Worth checking up with a doc, if you experience blood pressure issues (or even get a bad knee or summit!)
    4 miles should not give you much trouble on the flat - give yourself plenty of time to get in, so that you can pedal at a comfortable pace.

GB155 is the master on this topic and I am sure he has the best advice from experience.

Good on you!
  • Mike400
    Massive benefits outweigh the crap facilities in my office:

I have lost near 3 stone, im far more toned, and all my clothes are way smaller now :)

get quite a few flattering comments from ladies in the office :)

everyone who took the piss at the start seems to show massive respect once they seen the difference its made to me, and also that I ride all weathers, all year round

My fitness has improved HUGELY - and I feel it when I run round after the kids at the weekend, so in a way its made me a better more active dad!

I have a new hobby - im addicted to cycling, getting into sportives hopefully this year and use the bike for everything I can - even got a trailer which the kids love, and wifey has been encouraged to get a bike too so its all good :)

I think im a better driver due to cycling in traffic - Im more aware of cyclists when I drive, and have a better idea as to how they are likely to behave, how much room they need etc

Negatives - once you get the bug its bloody expensive. The £66 a month I save in train fare is easily spent on *stuff* throughout the year

Can be a bit hairy riding on some of the roads round here

Riding in winter can go beyond "character building" at times....

and erm thats it really
    twitter @fat_cyclist
  • Rykard
    Rykard Posts: 582
    +1 for proper shorts and jacket. For the shorts if you find some cheap lyrca ones just wear some normal shorts or tracksuit bottoms over them...
    Cheers
    Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching.
  • Great advice everyone. The shorts sound like an essential buy and there is a chuck wagon outside where I work.

I checked the weight of a Subway against a cheapo Apollo CX.10 Hybrid with a steel frame and there was little difference.

I seem to have to go to Halfords because all the independent bike shops in Northampton I knew years ago are all closed. :(

I am sure the Apollo is rather crap but I can afford that one straight away. I have to tax and insure two cars in April so its an expensive month.

Does anyone know of any decent bike shops near me, that don't just sell exotic stuff that costs loads?
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,358
    Great advice everyone. The shorts sound like an essential buy and there is a chuck wagon outside where I work.

I checked the weight of a Subway against a cheapo Apollo CX.10 Hybrid with a steel frame and there was little difference.

I seem to have to go to Halfords because all the independent bike shops in Northampton I knew years ago are all closed. :(

I am sure the Apollo is rather crap but I can afford that one straight away. I have to tax and insure two cars in April so its an expensive month.

Does anyone know of any decent bike shops near me, that don't just sell exotic stuff that costs loads?

NO

Do NOT buy the Apollo

Go second hand instead

Check the Bike Radar Classfieds, Ebay, even steal one if you have to

No one on this or any other cycling forum will tell you to buy the Apollo
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Great advice everyone. The shorts sound like an essential buy and there is a chuck wagon outside where I work.

NO

Do NOT buy the Apollo

Go second hand instead

Check the Bike Radar Classfieds, Ebay, even steal one if you have to

No one on this or any other cycling forum will tell you to buy the Apollo

That will be a no then,

I need to find a decent bike shop me thinks.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,358
    What's your budget?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • What's your budget?

That's the annoying thing. If my employer had not stopped the cycle 2 work scheme I was going to spend £500 so £29 would be taken from my pay each month.

Now I don't have that option I will struggle to spend £200 in one go without it being a problem.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The subway may feel the same weight, but it has a better standard of parts.
  • The Subway is the one I am gravitating towards;.

It's £250 in store and £199 online so I could try and haggle them down in the shop.

What about this bike?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lamborghini-Leggenda-21-speed-Trekking-Yellow/dp/B0013NCQYG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sports&qid=1270845842&sr=1-1
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • supersonic
    Looks pretty dire to be honest!
  • I have no idea do I?

Assuming the shop will not budge on price, if I get the Subway online, are they difficult to put together?

I can do brake caliper changes on cars, as well as things like heater matrix swaps when it involves a full dash out job.

I have a comprehensive set of spanners, 1/4" and 1/2" sockets etc. as well as a decent torque wrench.

But then if I am buying online, are there any online retailers that shine through with good prices and excellent service? I heard about wiggle.com on R4 the other day?

What could I get for £250ish if I pushed my budget? If I can get something that can have bits upgraded as I get more in to things, that would suit my obsessive compulsive personality.

:
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • supersonic
    They can be built at home, but if you don't know what you are doing I wouldn't. It is best to learn over time though, but you want it right to start.

They should price match, especially as you can reserve online and pick up in a store.
  • Beeblebrox
    Beeblebrox Posts: 145
    I believe I'm right in saying Edinburgh Cycles are good (I've seen them mentioned on here a few times although I've never bought anything from them personally): http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f_ProductID=0&f_WebLinkID=18337&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003155c018333c018337

On the whole idea, you've just gotta go for it. A visit to your GP is recommended but ultimately getting fit and losing some weight will be so fantastically beneficial he'll only say go full out straight away or maybe take it a little bit easier to start with, certainly won't say don't do it.
  • lardboy
    I third the Apollo hatred. The Subway is a proper bike, with some heavy but decent enough parts that some people have happily ridden for years with no major problems. The Apollo has completely unnecessary dual suspension and cheap and nasty parts, including plastic brake levers that flex badly.

A bike is a very simple machine really. If you have a small tool kit you can do most jobs that need doing. I think the Subway might even come with the allen keys and spanners required. Of course, I'd expect them to last about as long as putting the bike together, but they are free tools!

To be honest, I'd rather put together a bike myself than rely on Halfords to do it. When I took my Subway in for its free service it came back with the front wheel loose, so I haven't been back since. If you decide to buy online and put it together yourself, you'll learn enough about the bike that you'll have no reason to go into Halfords ever again, which can only be a good thing.

Bookmark http://www.sheldonbrown.com/ (the most useful site ever for bike fettling) and ask questions here if there's any problems putting it together.

In terms of upgrading bits, there's plenty you can do, but you'll always be stuck with a relatively heavy frame, which is why the advice you will get here always advises you to get the best frame you can afford and go from there. If you're buying new you can do a lot worse than the Subway.

Blimey, that was a long post. Sorry about that!
  • lardboy
    Oh, Evans have a sale on right now, so they are worth a look if you can find something in your size. There's a Ridgeback, a GT and a Specialized under £250, which look decent enough, but are very limited sizewise. There's a branch in Milton Keynes if you could drag yourself through the maze of roundabouts and ring roads.
  • lardboy
    You can probably skip most of that video, to be honest, if all you want to do is ride for 4 miles each way!

I'm not sure I'd regrease the headset, wheel bearings and true the wheels before I'd ever ridden the bike! A month or so in is about right, when all the things that need tweaking become apparent. If I had a pro tool kit, maybe, otherwise I'd slap on the pedals, twist and tighten the bars, check the brakes and see what else needs doing after a quick round the block running through all the gears.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I have no idea do I?

Assuming the shop will not budge on price, if I get the Subway online, are they difficult to put together?

I can do brake caliper changes on cars, as well as things like heater matrix swaps when it involves a full dash out job.

I have a comprehensive set of spanners, 1/4" and 1/2" sockets etc. as well as a decent torque wrench.

Subways, as delivered, are not hard to put together. For someone with a mere modicum of mechanical sympathy (this easily includes you), it will be trivial.

In my opinion, the Subways aren't bad for the money, the Apollo (I haven't actually bothered to check which one) and that Amazon horror will be awful, but you'd actually be better off going second-hand *if* the bike's sound because bikes depreciate faster than either cars, computers, or prophylactics[*]

Your budget appears to be around 200-250 GBP at a stretch, which might get you into actual Bike territory for new buys. At that price, if you're really not sure, I'd go for the Subway, and assemble it yourself making sure things are securely fastened

You should be fine. As I said, 4 miles should be easy enough, and I wouldn't recommend money you can't afford if you're just starting.

Good luck

*: may not be true.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Rykard
    Rykard Posts: 582
    Didn't decathlon used to a reseanable mountain bike around £200? Stick a pair of slicks or semi on it ...
    Cheers
    Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching.
  • I went to Evans in MK

The girl who came to assist me was hopeless I'm afraid. No enthusiasm and just put me off spending my money there.

My enquiry about what was available was answered with the suggestion that I look at their website!
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick