Rare, horrible incident caught on vid (not me)..

Comments

• iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Or, if you use route cards, O
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    _Brun_ wrote:
    When did roundabouts become RBTs and RABs?

F@#king internet. :evil:

Dooooood!

Chillax! 8)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    _Brun_ wrote:
    When did roundabouts become RBTs and RABs?

F@#king internet. :evil:

I was talking about The Nesbit :lol:

Nah, just lazy typing tbh. I fully admit it.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689

Chillax!

This! That fecking word I hate with a passion above any and all other forms of slang.

Usually this word is followed by a dude in skinny jeans, sunglasses in winter who thinks he is too cool for school as he lives in Shoreditch, studies art, doesn't vote and thinks he's an 'individual', despite almost everyone else living in the area being exactly like him!

Fecking yuppy-slang.

If I had it my way I'd beat every single last one of them with a spoon!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Chillax!

This! That fecking word I hate with a passion above any and all other forms of slang.

Usually this word is followed by a dude in skinny jeans, sunglasses in winter who thinks he is too cool for school as he lives in Shoreditch, studies art, doesn't vote and thinks he's an 'individual', despite almost everyone else living in the area being exactly like him!

Fecking yuppy-slang.

DDD, sounds like you need a chillaxative :twisted:
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    edited March 2010
    DonDaddyD wrote:

You mean like this?

Glad your OK tho, I damn nearly soiled my pants just watching that!
    +1 for changing pads, I'm sure I would have been a goner if that was me!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • magnatom
    magnatom Posts: 492
    Wow, that is naughty. It's a clear sunny day, you were blatantly on the RBT before the lorry. Bad lorry. Very bad lorry.

D'you reckon you had started braking in advance seeing as (from the very limited view the camera has of the lorry) it seems he had no intention of slowing?

I was watching him, and at first he appeared to be slowing (although that may have been an illusion of his angle of approach). I was probably taking the roundabout a bit slower than normal, because of his approach, I can take that roundabout at 20mph quite happily, yesterday it was closer to 15mph. Thank goodness it was.

When I actually started braking....I don't know. Instinct kicked in and it was only instinct that kept me upright! I wonder if my background in judo helped! :)
  • magnatom
    DonDaddyD wrote:

You mean like this?

Glad your OK tho, I damn nearly soiled my pants just watching that!
    +1 for changing pads, I'm sure I would have been a goner if that was me!

funnily enough I had changed my brake pads at the end of last week to some Koolstop dual pads. They may have saved my life.....
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    I'm on Koolstop Salmons on the roadie, although the recent wet weather and Sundays ride have left me a bit thin up front! Thank god I'm working up the road from GB Cycles tomorrow, I imagine they'll be getting another £14 of my hard earned cash :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Chillax!

Fecking yuppy-slang.

Lost:

One fishing rod.

Reward if found. Last seen attached to a rare example of the Southern Foaming Snapper.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    kelsen wrote:
    If Mr Lorry Driver had seen magnatom, why didn't he stop? You should give way to traffic coming from the right at roundabouts, correct?
    Yes, unless it is a bicycle as motorised traffic always has right of way over a bicycle (which doesn't even pay road tax.)
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I'm on Koolstop Salmons on the roadie, although the recent wet weather and Sundays ride have left me a bit thin up front!

Likewise with the Salmons, and likewise with being thin up front!

I'm trying to compensate by rear braking only to save me changing them over! I've nearly rear ended or ended up overshooting a junction many times but at least I haven't got to get me allen keys out :roll:
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    My two cents:

The truck clearly failed to give way, but the rider spotted the truck - good on him for checking - and should have prepared for trouble by slowing down to the point where he could have stopped before entering the path of the truck.

No point being in the right but dead. Glad he survived.
  • jamesco wrote:
    My two cents:

The truck clearly failed to give way, but the rider spotted the truck - good on him for checking - and should have prepared for trouble by slowing down to the point where he could have stopped before entering the path of the truck.

Sorry but what utter horseshit.

If you slowed/stopped for every muppet who might possibly do something stupid you'd never even leave the sodding house.

He didn't enter the path of the truck, the truck entered the path of the cyclist.

Cyclist approaches roundabout, checks for traffic approaching from the right, all clear so cyclist proceeds onto roundabout.
    Cyclist sees the large artuculated truck approaching from left (not that you could miss it) but as truck seems to be slowing, does not percieve it to be a threat.
    Truck either does not check to his right, or (worse) does check, and carrys on anyway.

I know I dont post here much, but I fail to see the problem with anything Magnatom did in this case, irrespective of wether or not he is an incident magnet.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I agree with the one above the cat , it`s a good idea to always slow to a virtual stop at a roundabout until you are 100% sure the vehicle to the left is going to stop,which, for various reasons, they often don`t. It doesn`t matter if you are in the right or not. I found this out when a car hit me recently at a big roundabout.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    jamesco wrote:
    My two cents:

If you're going to take that attitude you might as well say "give up cycling". I'm amazed at how many people come up with the "No point being in the right but dead" nonsense. :?

So if he slows any further I wonder whether that truck driver would wait, or just assume he was being given free passage? I'm guessing the latter would happen. I also think any traffic following behind the cyclist would be more inclined to either try overtking/undertaking or become impatient.

Lets not beat around the bush here - there is no place for "No point being in the right but dead" comments. It is one step away from victim-blaming
  • antfly wrote:
    I agree with the one above the cat , it`s a good idea to always slow to a virtual stop at a roundabout until you are 100% sure the vehicle to the left is going to stop,which, for various reasons, they often don`t. It doesn`t matter if you are in the right or not. I found this out when a car hit me recently at a big roundabout.

Those various reasons being that you have slowed to a virtual stop and the driver thinks you're letting them out.
    Or the car behind you drives up your rectum because they assumed you'd do the sensible thing and carry on.

Jeezus, how do some of you people manage to survive a week commuting.
  • blorg
    I don't think anyone is doubting that the HGV driver was in the wrong but you have to be prepared for these things, similar (failure to respect a cyclists' right of way) has no doubt happened to anyone who has cycled for more than a few weeks. I had a virtually identical experience on a roundabout only last weekend albeit with a car rather than HGV. Even less excuse as the entry roads were not so close together. There was swearing but I was able to stop. Some drivers honestly just have a mental block about yielding to a cyclist and don't do it. You have to ride with the presumption that the occasional other road user will do something stupid that puts you in danger...
  • magnatom
    Right guys. I get the message. cycle around the roundabout, stopping at each entrance to ask permission to proceed from the drivers entering. :roll:

There are so many bl**dy armchair cyclists who would have done this and that so much better than me, that it is a wonder that any drivers have any problems with any cyclists ever. It just reminds me of the statistic relating to how many drivers think they are above average....
  • antfly
    edited March 2010
    antfly wrote:

Those various reasons being that you have slowed to a virtual stop and the driver thinks you're letting them out.
    Or the car behind you drives up your rectum because they assumed you'd do the sensible thing and carry on.

Jeezus, how do some of you people manage to survive a week commuting.
    I survive by slowing down at roundabouts and eyeballing the drivers, I don`t come to a complete stop and it must be obvious i`m not letting them go as they nearly always stop for me once i`ve made eye contact. Oh and don`t worry about what`s behind you, what`s in front of you is a lot more important. You are supposed to slow at roundabouts, you know.
  • blorg
    magnatom wrote:
    Right guys. I get the message. cycle around the roundabout, stopping at each entrance to ask permission to proceed from the drivers entering. :roll:
    No, just have a bit of cop on and be aware and on the brakes in situations where there is a high probability of a driver doing something stupid and illegal that could kill you. I'm sure you are aware of where this is necessary, there are a number of junctions on my commute and elsewhere around Dublin where virtually NO drivers will yield right of way to cyclists and I would be dead long ago if I wasn't prepared to stop when necessary.

Example from my own commute.

Antfly's approach makes a lot more sense.

You do seem to have an extraordinary amount of incidents
    magnatom wrote:
    There are so many bl**dy armchair cyclists
    I suspect most people posting actually do ride a bike believe it or not.
  • Mayhemwmb
    Mayhemwmb Posts: 108
    My views on this - it doesn't matter how right you are when you are either in hospital or dead, you have to ride defensively and assume every other driver is an absolute idiot, I cycle, used to ride a motorbike all year round and have also driven emergency 'blues & twos'. You need to telegraph your intended route to other road users by road positioning and as others have stated by 'eyeballing' the drivers of other vehicles, that said I always expect the unexpected, I've had a few close calls in my time but put that down to plain bad luck, ie diesel on the road, drivers not concentrating on the task in hand, bottom line is WE WILL ALWAYS LOSE IN A COLLISION - LOOK AFTER YOURSELF
  • downfader wrote:
    Lets not beat around the bush here - there is no place for "No point being in the right but dead" comments. It is one step away from victim-blaming
    Uh, no, its about self preservation... But by all means go ahead and always be in the right, its your choice, its just not advice I would give to anyone.

If you do your advance driving test, a lot of it is around having escape routes, which follows the "No point in being right but dead" theory.
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    downfader wrote:
    If you're going to take that attitude you might as well say "give up cycling". I'm amazed at how many people come up with the "No point being in the right but dead" nonsense. :?

Whoa, I must have touched a nerve with a few people. This thread was already a bit of a flame war, but for what it's worth I'll state my side without trying to angry you lot up more:

Riding to survive is sensible. If there had been a collision then it wouldn't have mattered how much in the right the rider was, he would have been the one hurt. Talking tough and being facetious on the 'net might make some people happy, but acting like that in the real world will get one killed.

Now, where's my armchair, it's almost time to ride across central London again... ;)
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited March 2010
    You know some of the posts in this thread would suggest that there is another planet, like Earth with whom we share our internet with.

I don't see the OP as being wrong.

I think all this you should approach a roundabout and stop halfway round rubbish is utter bollocks. Big sweaty ones.

It's a roundabout you approach, you enter if nothing is coming from the right and things on the left should stop for you. Even if the cyclist had stopped earlier the lorry would have still cut him up as he was going around the roundabout. If we can't trust riding to the rules of the road and you all are saying we should put in extra precautions I'm going to start RLJing again and riding on the pavement. Much safer.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • magnatom
    blorg wrote:
    magnatom wrote:
    No, just have a bit of cop on and be aware and on the brakes in situations where there is a high probability of a driver doing something stupid and illegal that could kill you. I'm sure you are aware of where this is necessary, there are a number of junctions on my commute and elsewhere around Dublin where virtually NO drivers will yield right of way to cyclists and I would be dead long ago if I wasn't prepared to stop when necessary.

Example from my own commute.

Antfly's approach makes a lot more sense.

You do seem to have an extraordinary amount of incidents
    magnatom wrote:
    There are so many bl**dy armchair cyclists
    I suspect most people posting actually do ride a bike believe it or not.

By armchair cyclist, I am referring to the 'If that was me I would have...' comments. The vast majority of the time they wouldn't. What you think you would do from the comfort of your armchair is not what you actually do. You learn that pretty quickly when you post videos of your cycling. I have changed my cycling significantly as a result. I wasn't cycling as well as I thought. I am better, certainly, perfect, no. But I am probably the most scrutinised cyclist, certainly in the UK, perhaps the world!

With regards to going slower. I was! 15mph as apposed to 20mph normally. Look at the ground speed before the roundabout, and look again, when I am on it.

So where do we draw the line? How slow/fast is acceptable? I was doing 15mph, should it be 12, 11, 8? What happens if my slow speed encourages the driver to pull out? In fact, what happens if by going slow the driver pulls out later, thus negating the perceived safety saving, perhaps even making it worse?

Do you honestly think I went into that roundabout without clocking the tanker, without assessing the situation? How many times would the exact circumstances at the start of the video result in a completely normal journey around the roundabout? If you saw a cyclist enter the roundabout as I did and the tanker stopped would you bat an eyelid?

There are a lot of questions, a lot of unknowns that cannot, no matter how hard you try, be worked out/resolved without having actually been there. The what if questions.

The fact is, a tanker pulled out on me at a roundabout, very late into my journey around it. My speed and line enabled me to stop. The scariest thing to me, was not how close I was when I stopped, but how close I was when the HGV kept going, despite me.

So who is the victim? Me? Or the poor driver late for his delivery? And the most important question...have I babbled on enough! :D
  • fletch8928
    fletch8928 Posts: 794
    Just watched the vid, and read the posts. I think the driver didnt actually see the cyclist. I think he may have been almost stopped by the way he was going through his gears as he comes into full view.
    Either way you reported it and it still deserves points/fine ect.
    I was lucky enough to have a talk with a lorry driver who cut me up on a roundabouts exit. Think he was surprised to see me waiting for him outside of his delivery destination. You obviously couldnt have chased him down to have a chat in this case.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • antfly
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I think all this you should approach a roundabout and stop halfway round rubbish is utter bollocks. Big sweaty ones.

Nobody said that.
  • blorg
    magnatom wrote:
    By armchair cyclist, I am referring to the 'If that was me I would have...' comments. The vast majority of the time they wouldn't. What you think you would do from the comfort of your armchair is not what you actually do.
    I think it falls into the "driver ignores cyclist's right of way" paradigm and that happens to me very very frequently. From experience, roundabouts are one of the key places it occurs and I am careful as a result negotiating them. Drivers pulling out to enter a roundabout in front of me is common enough (as are other stupidities around the things.) I presume the same has happened to just about anyone who has cycled any length of time; I would be very surprised if most people posting have never been cut up on a roundabout and are posting from their "armchair" experience.
    So who is the victim? Me? Or the poor driver late for his delivery?
    I don't think I read a single post arguing that the HGV driver was right, just that as cyclists we have to take responsibility for our own safety. Many drivers seem to have a cyclist-sized blind spot.
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    magnatom wrote:
    Or the poor driver late for his delivery?

It's more likely that he was late for his prostitute-murdering appointment
    <a>road</a>