Rare, horrible incident caught on vid (not me)..

downfader
downfader Posts: 3,686
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
...that will make you **** yourself! :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y5RZMAxsjg

I watched it and felt sick. I see the "blame the victim" game has begun on there already.

Comments

• deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    wowsers, he's a lucky boy
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    That`s the magnatom, he`s quite well known now so I expect the lorry was aiming for him.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • downfader
    antfly wrote:
    That`s the magnatom, he`s quite well known now so I expect the lorry was aiming for him.

I dont think he was quite riding with a flag saying "I'm Magnatom, Cycle Justice League" LOL! :shock:
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    That is bloody scary! I'd have taken that way around the roundabout, and I can't be sure I'd have reacted in time to not have been collected by the trailer....
  • Oooooooof
    My Bikes And Me
    A bicycle can't stand alone; it is two tired.
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    I wish I could say I haven't had similar but unfortunately not the case, not only cycling but motorcycling and driving. Spidey senses are I think the only reason I've not been squished, certainly plenty of drivers out there have tried.

But still a very lucky boy indeed, a second or so later and it would have been RIP.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    :shock:
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    He wouldn't have walked away from that one. One very lucky boy!
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    Terrifying.

However, I'm baffled by the fact that Magnatom seems to have more experiences of poor to bad driving in a month than I had in the 27 years I commuted before retiring.
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • Holy Moly I flinched and I was only watching it on video! Shocking driving.
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • starseven
    starseven Posts: 112
    I stopped using a helmet cam whilst commuting because it can make you look for incident to make footage.

You must ask yourself now, why do I keep having altercations with vehicles?
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    Terrifying.

However, I'm baffled by the fact that Magnatom seems to have more experiences of poor to bad driving in a month than I had in the 27 years I commuted before retiring.

It depends what time of day/roads/location you used to commute on.

I usually avoid "rush hour": too many idiots on the road who can't understand the meaning of "driving safely" and just rush home!

In one commute back home a couple of weeks ago during rush hour (I had to be home to attend to my son earlier than usual) I have experienced more close calls than I had over the past couple of months.

Unfortunately the distribution of stupid people is totally random...
  • afcbian
    afcbian Posts: 424
    Lucky lucky boy :shock: :shock: :shock:
    I ride therefore I am
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    I can't go to bed now, there's too much adrenaline running through my body. That scared the life out of me. I hope the police take action.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    I'd have been screaming like a girl too.

Fingers crossed for a prosecution, the driver should definitely be shown the video many many times if nothing else.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    My views on that "cyclist" are well known on another forum! Look at the video again; he is approaching a roundabout and his speed does not seem to change.
    The road that the tanker was on and the road that the "cyclist" was on appear to enter the roundabout at about the same point. Given that the camera was helmet mounted, I did not detect even a cursory glance to the left; I realise that the cyclist may be able to turn his eyes to the left and may have peripheral vision, any traffic approaching from the left would have been unsighted so what does he do? No traffic from the right, he does not seem to care about traffic from the left so he goes blindly on.
    Why does he have more experiences than most of us? No road sense whatsoever, no appreciation of his surroundings. As long as he has a hole in his proverbial, he will never be a cyclist; just someone who can propel himself forward on a bike.
  • If the roundabout exit the cyclist took was the one he intended to use all along, he was in the wrong lane on the roundabout. This would confuse other traffic (well me, anyway) around the cyclist, as they would expect the bike to be going more than half way around the roundabout.

I probably need to look at the footage again, but similar things can be said about the lorry driver. Why were they going more than half way around the roundabout in the outside lane? Were they indicating? Looks as if they were not looking out for traffic on less than four wheels.

Scary stuff! :shock:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Has to be said that the vid will make it look worse than it was in reality. The lorry can't have appeared from nowhere - the surprise would be that it pulled out but the cyclist should possibly have been more aware of that possibility than the viewer of the video could be.

Few days ago I was cycling at a medium speed up a gentle climb (to be fair, it had been preceeded by a nasty climb!) and a dopey bint pulled out infront of me. I was about a car length from her when she did. I could see her checking the traffic both ways so was sure she'd stay put - and then she pulled out. As I drew level with her and made my feelings felt, she looked completely shocked. Somehow she had failed to spot a high vis clad cyclist a car length away even though she had been looking in my direction.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • fnegroni
    edited March 2010
  • fnegroni
    mr_hippo wrote:
    Look at the video again; he is approaching a roundabout and his speed does not seem to change.

Either you have never negotiated a roundabout in your life, or you tell me what the heck you are talking about!
    There is no traffic on the roundabout: you don't slow down at 20mph on that size roundabout. If anything you might even speed up to get to the safe zone to off side.
    The road that the tanker was on and the road that the "cyclist" was on appear to enter the roundabout at about the same point.

Watch the video again: they are very distinct exits. How can you even say they were at roughly the same point.
    Given that the camera was helmet mounted, I did not detect even a cursory glance to the left;

Watch the video again: there are several glimpses *and* you can see magnatom saw the lorry and move into the safe zone sooner than expected because of it.
    I realise that the cyclist may be able to turn his eyes to the left and may have peripheral vision, any traffic approaching from the left would have been unsighted so what does he do? No traffic from the right, he does not seem to care about traffic from the left so he goes blindly on.

traffic from the left is supposed to give way. On the other hand, he probably cared that anyone following him would have found a cyclist slowing down for no *apparent* reason a nuisance.
  • fnegroni
    Rolf F wrote:
    Has to be said that the vid will make it look worse than it was in reality. The lorry can't have appeared from nowhere - the surprise would be that it pulled out but the cyclist should possibly have been more aware of that possibility than the viewer of the video could be.
    He was clearly aware, but he could not just pull the anchors! What about any traffic following him? It is also wet, an off would have meant going under the lorry without any chances.
    He did the right thing. But that lorry was in the wrong.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    fnegroni wrote:
    He was clearly aware, but he could not just pull the anchors! What about any traffic following him? It is also wet, an off would have meant going under the lorry without any chances.
    He did the right thing. But that lorry was in the wrong.

I don't disagree with anything you say - all I'm getting at is that the video makes it look worse than it would have been due to the vid not having peripheral vision and a much narrower field of view.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    mr_hippo wrote:
    My views on that "cyclist" are well known on another forum! Look at the video again; he is approaching a roundabout and his speed does not seem to change.
    The road that the tanker was on and the road that the "cyclist" was on appear to enter the roundabout at about the same point. Given that the camera was helmet mounted, I did not detect even a cursory glance to the left; I realise that the cyclist may be able to turn his eyes to the left and may have peripheral vision, any traffic approaching from the left would have been unsighted so what does he do? No traffic from the right, he does not seem to care about traffic from the left so he goes blindly on.
    Why does he have more experiences than most of us? No road sense whatsoever, no appreciation of his surroundings. As long as he has a hole in his proverbial, he will never be a cyclist; just someone who can propel himself forward on a bike.

Between 25 and 30 seconds.... you can see the entrance to the road on his left is clear initially and then the cab appears shortly after... a little blinkered Mr Hippo?

Also your 'perception' of reduction of speed doesn't mean a thing as his path to go forward was unimpeded by other traffic to his right.

The lorry should have given way regardless of the cyclists postioning; you can't go round in an arctic truck overtaking people on single lane roundabouts or any vehicle for that matter
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Clever Pun wrote:
    mr_hippo wrote:

Between 25 and 30 seconds.... you can see the entrance to the road on his left is clear initially and then the cab appears shortly after... a little blinkered Mr Hippo?

Also your 'perception' of reduction of speed doesn't mean a thing as his path to go forward was unimpeded by other traffic to his right.

The lorry should have given way regardless of the cyclists postioning; you can't go round in an arctic truck overtaking people on single lane roundabouts or any vehicle for that matter

+1
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    aside from any views that i or others may have about tom and his magnetic attraction to road incidents....

for me tom had ROW, the lorry driver should not have entered the roundabout, and had tom been in a car, would not have entered the roundabout...

i just filled my kecks watching it....
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    I probably need to look at the footage again, but similar things can be said about the lorry driver. Why were they going more than half way around the roundabout in the outside lane? Were they indicating? Looks as if they were not looking out for traffic on less than four wheels.
    Lorry driver has an excuse. He probably needs to be in that lane to avoid the trailer wheels going over the roundabout as he turns in.

Mike
  • magnatom
    magnatom Posts: 492
    Ah Mr Hippo is here and not on cyclechat. Are you avoiding me?! :D

I won't even bother trying to answer his points as they don't make much sense!

I will add that yes, I did see the HGV approach the junction and I did in fact make eye contact with the driver. he definitely saw me. He couldn't miss me. Bright yellow hi-viz, two very bright front lights both on, and a central line in the lane to make me visible.

It should also be noted that the roads were a little slippy (sub zero at that point) I was probably traveling about 15mph not 20mph, and the line I took is exactly the line that other traffic take at that roundabout. Therefore, I take it to avoid overtakes/undertakes.

The poster who suggests that it wasn't as scary as it looks....welll... I was there and I can assure you, in person it was much scarier than it looks on the video. What the video doesn't show well is how close I could see the rear wheels getting to me just after I stopped. I honestly thought I was a goner....
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    magnatom wrote:
    Ah Mr Hippo is here and not on cyclechat. Are you avoiding me?! :D

I won't even bother trying to answer his points as they don't make much sense!

Are you stalking him? :wink:

1. Glad you're okay.
    2. That scared the crap out of me. The first time I watched it, I thought there was some weird editing going on, as the lorry appeared so suddenly
    3. Any word from the Police / driver / anyone?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Glad you got away from that unscathed
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • downfader
    If the roundabout exit the cyclist took was the one he intended to use all along, he was in the wrong lane on the roundabout. This would confuse other traffic (well me, anyway) around the cyclist, as they would expect the bike to be going more than half way around the roundabout.

Scary stuff! :shock:

Its a singlelane RAB, mate. Look on the approach, junction is single lane, and no road markings on the RAB itself, therefore you take primary for visibility (added to the fact there was no traffic it seems behind him)

I also agree with mudcovered, the driver needs the extra swing for the trailer.

Oh and everyone should prolly ignore The Hippo, if he looks like he talks I'd imagine he also smells of it. :lol: I would seriously doubt if he/she/it cycles. :roll:

Rolf F - its a quite rideangle lens. I use the same optics on my camera and beleive me - that was dangerously close. A car or motorbike would be a gonner, same if Mags had been cycling faster.

Mike Healey - Mike, I dont think he has too much more. I think also from talking to other Glasgow commuters that certain areas have some very bad driving. Its the same here tbh. You have to remember that one area will have a completely different set of behaviours localised than another. Its a psychological meme really.

I think his videos just reflect his experiences and the area, and nothing to do with looking for trouble. I have to be honest that I could personally quite easily go out right now and find someone doing something stupid on the road. The point should always be "why are they being stupid" rather than Starseven's philosophy that you end up looking for it (although I'm sure some do) :?

I think we'll all have to come and cycle in your neck of the woods, Mike. :D