Rare, horrible incident caught on vid (not me)..

Comments

• magnatom
    magnatom Posts: 492
    I've had chat with the police and they will be taking it forward. I'm sure you'll understand though I don't want to make any details of this public at the moment.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Sorry, wasn't expecting details - just a reassurance that something was happening.

Incidentally - having re-read Mr Hippo's post and re-watched the vid, I can only disgaree with everything he says.

You can clearly see repeated looks to the left, and at one point the lorry can be seen approaching its junction.

Your entrance was clear, and as stated elsewhere, slowing down would only annoy anyone behind you and make traversing the RAB more difficult under normal circumstances

On first viewing I did wonder at the "cyclists" :wink: road position but then upon reflection realised it was caused by the lorry's maneouvre

That incident was WAY above due care, stretches the definition of Careless and is in the realms of dangerous driving (IMO)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    fnegroni wrote:
    mr_hippo wrote:
    Look at the video again; he is approaching a roundabout and his speed does not seem to change.

Either you have never negotiated a roundabout in your life, or you tell me what the heck you are talking about!
    There is no traffic on the roundabout: you don't slow down at 20mph on that size roundabout. If anything you might even speed up to get to the safe zone to off side.
    You may not slow down for roundabouts but I do.
    The road that the tanker was on and the road that the "cyclist" was on appear to enter the roundabout at about the same point.

Watch the video again: they are very distinct exits. How can you even say they were at roughly the same point.
    Did I say anything about 'exits'? I did say 'enter'. Stop the video at about 25 seconds and tell me what you see. Do you see two roads entering the roundabout at roughly the same point?
    Given that the camera was helmet mounted, I did not detect even a cursory glance to the left;

Watch the video again: there are several glimpses *and* you can see magnatom saw the lorry and move into the safe zone sooner than expected because of it.
    Is there a branch of Specsavers near you? You need to make an appointment! There were three distinct glances to the right and none to the left.
    I realise that the cyclist may be able to turn his eyes to the left and may have peripheral vision, any traffic approaching from the left would have been unsighted so what does he do? No traffic from the right, he does not seem to care about traffic from the left so he goes blindly on.

traffic from the left is supposed to give way. On the other hand, he probably cared that anyone following him would have found a cyclist slowing down for no *apparent* reason a nuisance.
    You have hit the nail on the head when you said “...supposed to give way.” What happens if he can’t see you and you can’t see him? Just ignore it?
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Hippo I notice you're in bangcock a bit... do they drive on the right there?

it seems you're the only one who can't see the looks to the left

Hold up your 'left' hand palm flat thumb extended it should be in the shape of and L
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • magnatom
    Can I just add, that I eyeballed the lorry and driver well before the roundabout. The fact that you can't see my head move left is testament to millions of years of evolution which have resulted in eyes that can move independent of my head.

Even Action man had swivel eyes! :D
  • mr_hippo
    downfader wrote:
    Oh and everyone should prolly ignore The Hippo, if he looks like he talks I'd imagine he also smells of it. :lol: I would seriously doubt if he/she/it cycles.
    Go to http://www.mycyclinglog.com/, now click 'groups' and then select 'CycleChat' and look on the list for 'mr_hippo'. Can you see my name on there?
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    It shouldn't take a genius to realise that if you stick a camera on the right of a helmet, its view to the left is going to be compromised.
  • mr_hippo
    Clever Pun wrote:

Hold up your 'left' hand palm flat thumb extended it should be in the shape of and[sic] L
    The reason that I am in Bangkok is because I live here!
    Tell me where the looks to the left are - looks to the right are at about 13 secs, 19 secs and 21 secs

_Brun_ wrote:
    It shouldn't take a genius to realise that if you stick a camera on the right of a helmet, its view to the left is going to be compromised.
    If you move your head to the left the camera will also move to the left.
  • mr_hippo
    Clever Pun wrote:

Hold up your 'left' hand palm flat thumb extended it should be in the shape of and[sic] L
    The reason that I am in Bangkok is because I live here!
    Tell me where the looks to the left are - looks to the right are at about 13 secs, 19 secs and 21 secs

_Brun_ wrote:
  • _Brun_
    mr_hippo wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:
    It's got nothing to do with head movement you simpleton.

If the camera was stuck to the left of his helmet, the video would very likely have showed crap loads of lorry despite his head pointing in exactly the same direction.
  • Kieran_Burns
    There is a slow look at 25 seconds

At 26 seconds his head is point straight at the adjacent junction

A glance back and looks again at 27 seconds.

At this point you can see the front of the lorry

At 28 seconds his head is facing directly AT the lorry

You glimpse the lorry again at 29 seconds

At 30 seconds it comes full into view.

What more do you actually expect from him????
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • mr_hippo
    _Brun_ wrote:
    mr_hippo wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:
    If the camera was stuck to the left of his helmet, the video would very likely have showed crap loads of lorry despite his head pointing in exactly the same direction.
    Another one who wants his eyes testing! If the camera was mounted on the left it would only have shown the last few metres before the roundabout - there were trees obscuring the view.
    There is a slow look at 25 seconds
    At 26 seconds his head is point straight at the adjacent junction
    A glance back and looks again at 27 seconds.
    At this point you can see the front of the lorry
    At 28 seconds his head is facing directly AT the lorry
    You glimpse the lorry again at 29 seconds
    At 30 seconds it comes full into view.
    What more do you actually expect from him????
    Are you for real? That’s not a glance, it’s the movement of the bike negotiating the roundabout!
  • magnatom
    mr_hippo wrote:
    Are you for real? That’s not a glance, it’s the movement of the bike negotiating the roundabout!

Indeed Mr Hippo. It is the bike that negotiates the roundabout, not me. I am just along for the ride.... :roll:

I'll say it again, as you seem to be ignoring me.... My eyes move independently of my head....
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    Who gives a rats ass?

Could have been very nasty for magnatron, and, whether he looked or didn't or the lorry was wrong or wasn't I'm glad he was unscathed and that no one had to tell his family etc, etc.
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    Double post FAIL.
  • Kieran_Burns
    I have to conclude that you refuse to see another viewpoint, no matter how valid. Due to that I'll not continue debating with you - clearly it is a waste of time.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • _Brun_
    mr_hippo wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:
    mr_hippo wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:
    Another one who wants his eyes testing! If the camera was mounted on the left it would only have shown the last few metres before the roundabout - there were trees obscuring the view.
    You can see exactly where the trees end by the absence of shadow they cast across the road. Doesn't look to me like they'd have obscured the view at all.

Anything else you've got to continue this ridiculous argument?
  • mr_hippo
    edited March 2010
    magnatom wrote:
    mr_hippo wrote:

Indeed Mr Hippo. It is the bike that negotiates the roundabout, not me. I am just along for the ride.... :roll:

I'll say it again, as you seem to be ignoring me.... My eyes move independently of my head....
    Anyone speak? Next, please? You will never, ever be a cyclist as long as you have a hole in your proverbial.
    I do not seem to be ignoring you - I am ignoring you which is why I do not reply to your posts anymore. On this occasion, I will reply - yes your eyes swivel but not by that much.
  • mr_hippo
    I have to conclude that you refuse to see another viewpoint, no matter how valid. Due to that I'll not continue debating with you - clearly it is a waste of time.
    If you had a valid viewpoint but you do not.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Dear god!? :shock: :roll: I bet he is popular at the Christmas party!
  • magnatom
    mr_hippo wrote:
    Anyone speak? Next, please? You will never, ever be a cyclist as long as you have a hole in your proverbial.
    I do not seem to be ignoring you - I am ignoring you which is why I do not reply to your posts anymore. One this occasion, I will reply - yes your eyes swivel but not by that much.

Oh dear Mr Hippo. You have issues. Good luck with those!

Oh and by the way, taken directly from a Visual Perception lecture (I have worked in the visual perception field in the past):

Humans have a total field of view of somewhere between 160-208 degrees, about 140 degrees or so for each eye and a binocular field of 120-180 degrees.

My camera has a field of view of 82 degrees. Now lets think..... :D
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    mr_hippo, lol, you get the bikeradar imbecile of the day award.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Wow, that is naughty. It's a clear sunny day, you were blatantly on the RBT before the lorry. Bad lorry. Very bad lorry.

D'you reckon you had started braking in advance seeing as (from the very limited view the camera has of the lorry) it seems he had no intention of slowing?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited March 2010
    Glad the dude in the video came out alright.

As for the rest:

edith_bowman_465x370.jpg
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Seems like the fixation with how far we can swivel our eyes has made them lose focus here!

If Mr Lorry Driver had seen magnatom, why didn't he stop? You should give way to traffic coming from the right at roundabouts, correct? Magnatom was already in the roundabout when the lorry approaches the plastic bollard (is that the correct term) marking the give way line.

If he didn't see magnatom, then you have to question his ability to drive an 18 wheeler with due care and attention? Either way, he needs to be made aware of what could've happened, preferably by a visit from the police. The next person might not be so lucky...
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    edith_bowman_465x370.jpg
    LMAO :lol:
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Glad the dude in the video came out alright.

As for the rest:

edith_bowman_465x370.jpg

Nicely put! :lol:
  • mapleflot
    mapleflot Posts: 81
    My reaction: I think I'll be changing my brake pads again soon! Thanks for the video! Unfortunately, this situation at RABs is not uncommon, albiet its usually cars that, if they're not SMIDSY fools, think they can pop out before the perceived `slow cyclist' gets to them. A juggernaut has far less relative excuse. None actually.
  • _Brun_
    When did roundabouts become RBTs and RABs?

F@#king internet. :evil:
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    _Brun_ wrote:
    When did roundabouts become RBTs and RABs?

F@#king internet. :evil:

:lol:

I don't know quite where I got RBT from, and frankly it doesn't make a lot of sense as an abbreviation for roundabout.