London to Brighton off road 2010

Comments

• afcbian
    afcbian Posts: 424
    paully617 wrote:

Last top tip: usually the loos at roehampton are busy as on the morning of the ride with all the pre ride poo'ers and there is a good chance of no loo roll! Takes roll and leave it there. 50p for peace of mind!

That's where the 1 hour train ride to London comes in handy :wink::wink:

But yes you are right
    I ride therefore I am
  • Thanks guys. I'll hopefully see you tomorrow. I picked my bike up from its service yesterday and it now feels like a different bike...and they even cleaned it too! My nerves don't really relate to the distance because I think I'm fit enough (at least I hope I am), it's more that I'm so used to my road bike, and my MTB feels like a block of concrete in comparison. But I'm sure I'll get used to it again.

So....I now know what I'll be wearing so you must say hello to me! I will be wearing a turqoise blue shell jacket with sleeves to start, then when I get too hot it will become sleeveless. Everything else will be black (excpet for my silver-ish helmet)....below knee tights....shoes....bike. All black.

Except of course my red handlebars, which will clash with my outfit, but there's only so much co-ordination a girl can do with limited resources!

I'm looking forward to seeing as many of you tomorrow as I can remember descriptions of!
  • Bike service? You got me thinking now!!!! What needs servicing??? Aahhhh sodd it! It'll be fine.
    Anyway, defo White and silver giant trance, White shoes, black shorts, petrol and grey top, grey rucksack, White helmet.

It's all about accessorising darling fnar fnar!!!
    Trek Remedy 9.8 2013
  • Pat B
    Pat B Posts: 20
    Don’t do ports loo’s, McDonald’s in Putney is near by.
    84/84a High Street
    Putney
    SW15 1RB
    Opens 6am Saturday morning or you could use the Hospital which is close by.

Anyone know how many have entered? The site says online applications closed but you can register on the day!
  • paully617 wrote:
    Bike service? You got me thinking now!!!! What needs servicing??? Aahhhh sodd it! It'll be fine.
    Anyway, defo White and silver giant trance, White shoes, black shorts, petrol and grey top, grey rucksack, White helmet.

It's all about accessorising darling fnar fnar!!!

No seriously, my bike was in dire need of a service, I could hardly change gears, and couldn't use 1st gear at all. They were shocking. I've had it 6 years and it's never had a service! The gears are now so smooth-running it's incredible. All carried out for £40!! Bargain.

I'm liking your co-ordinated outfit Paully. Seriously jealous though. I wish this was a road ride because you'd have serious competition for co-ordination of accessories! Does anyone have any turquoise handlebars I can borrow???
  • Shmikuk
    Shmikuk Posts: 117
    Well, I think I'm about ready. Bike stripped/cleaned/lubed etc Tyres pumped up to 50psi. Spares wedged in under saddle bag. Extra gear put aside for the support car.
    There's a few of us starting together and dispersing along the route depending on fitness. To start there will be me on a black rockhopper, a mate on a black trek fuel, another on a white Scott hybrid ( rather him than me) plus a few mates of mates. Fingers crossed it's a bit drier than today!
    Have a good one everyone!
  • Pat B
    Accessories, I’ve got enough stuff for a couple of weeks up the Amazon, just need a cure for malaria and I’m sorted!!
  • Zaim
    Zaim Posts: 28
    I'm all geared up for this! Will be decked mainly in Endura Humvee clothing.

However:
    I've got the sh1ts, have done for a few days
    I've pulled my hamstring in my right leg - it's been tight for weeks. This means I've got to learn to ride/lead with my non-leading leg, no idea how.
    Got a pain in my lower right back

Don't know why this has all happened now but I'm not missing giving the ride a chance. I'll be aiming for the finish line in the quickest time I can without injuring myself.

Also the weather may be fine for tomorrow but it's been raining for the last 3 hours on the North Downs near Dorking, expect mud. yummy!!!
    Boardman Hybrid Pro - FCN 7
    Ibis Mojo SL
    Orange P7 Pro Singlespeed
    Klein Pulse Race
  • All ready here too; glad the worst of the weather will be done with today! Looks like it will be quite nice tomorra!

Just given my steed a bath, lube and tune up - all ready to go; all supplies packed...

Just some more eating and drinking (non alcoholic!) and then ready for the off!

Good luck all, have fun! - hope to see and chat with some of you tomorra!
  • Grifcp
    Grifcp Posts: 283
    Yup, more or less ready here too. Early start in the morning and looks pretty chilly but I'll certainly take that north wind at our backs!!! Bonus.
    Are any of you guys'n'gals taking a lock? Not sure weather to or not, just in case I receive an urgent call of nature :o don't fancy leaving my new velo unattended.
  • Zaim
    Zaim Posts: 28
    I'm not taking a lock. If I need to go on the trail I'm sure my bike can come with me. As for in Brighton, I'm hoping I'll meet some of you good people there or on the way and you'll be kind enough to look after my bike if the need arises.
    Boardman Hybrid Pro - FCN 7
    Ibis Mojo SL
    Orange P7 Pro Singlespeed
    Klein Pulse Race
  • ill be riding along in blue denim shorts and a normal t shirt (cba with lycra) with black camalback, grey helmet and orange and white ragley, being chased by my freind on his specialized rockhopper :). see yalls tomorrow.
  • Well we made to uxbridge ok and we are sat in an ASK restaurant stuffed to the guns with pasta and calzone! Anyone got a time machine?
    Trek Remedy 9.8 2013
  • Well, I've prepped my bike, I've got all my kit laid out, I've eaten a massive bowl of pasta, I've even bought my train ticket to Clapham Junction and now I'm far too excited to sleep! I feel like a little kid on Christmas Eve, Best of luck everyone!!
  • tony620
    tony620 Posts: 194
    All sorted now got the bike cleaned and lubed and am ready to go.

cannot wait :lol:
  • Well so much for a quiet night before!!! 5th pint of guiness is going down well.
    Trek Remedy 9.8 2013
  • tony620
    get plenty of water before you go to bed or your head will kill on the way there. :D aim is to get there for 6:45 and start at 7:15-7:30

just so you know will have a black and grey Fox top with dakine 8 track baggies in grey and white and black storm trooper look shoes with a silver giro helmet.
  • POW! lovin the colour scheme! Accidently bought another round!!! Still, life in the RAF I suppose!!
    Trek Remedy 9.8 2013
  • Fluids and carbs, I see no problem with Guiness as a pre-ride drink.
  • Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Specialized Epic FSR Carbon Comp (10)

Carrera banshee (10) the heaviest bike in the world, but my god is it strong....grrrrrrrrr

http://original.justgiving.com/richardeniffer
  • Indeed Dickeniffer!!!!! What have we done lol!!

Lovely morning for it tho! LETS HAVE IT!!!

Good luck all!!!!

Have fun!
  • Pat B
    Hi all,
    Tired, knackered and aching, that about sums it up, but what a great day. Apart from 10 of us going the wrong way at checkpoint1! and doing around 3 extra miles everything went perfectly. The bike performed great and most importantly no punctures!! So got out at 7.30 (quickly hello from Toni, hope it went well Toni) and got to Brighton at 2pm sharp. 6hrs 30 minutes and 5th to come home which far exceeded my expectations. Unfortunately walked up the Borstal, think it was due to the pace we set early, anyway it definitely helped by backside which by then was probably resembling a baboon.

Hope you all had a great day and sign up next year when we can start the conversations again. Looking forward to your updates on how it went for you!

Kr
    Pat
  • tony620
    i was in the group who went wrong at the check point how annoying was that. I finished in 7 hours 10 minutes really did not take enough food for the day so found the last 20 miles hard but i did enjoy it and the feeling you get when you get to the top of that big climb and see the brighton sea ( and the big hill you get to come down. ) cannot be beaten.

did not walk any of it either which i was really chuffed with :D

was a good laugh and cheers to all the friendly people who chatted and helped out on the ride :D
  • Made it all the way despite the best efforts of some cok nose who decided to ride into me as I passed him after the first downhill section forcing me into a wire fence, splitting knee open and worse, bending the Shiite out of rear wheel!!!!
    Trek Remedy 9.8 2013
  • tony620
    sorry to here that. there was quite a few incidents in the first group alone. i can imagine there were alot of accidents through the day.

Hope ye knee sorts itself out soonish mate.
  • afcbian
    afcbian Posts: 424
    Fantastic day.
    Brilliant weather.
    Superb riding companions.
    Managed to get into Barnes earlier than planned and hooked up with a guy called Jake who had been left on his own after all his buddies pulled out. So 4 became 5.

The going was definately harder than last year as the technical bits (up and down) were very slippery.
    And how windy was it when you came off the downs way and rode into the wind across that field :shock:
    Drafting along at 21mph along some of the quicker sections of the Downs Link way was great too.

Started at 0820 and crossed the finish at about 1530
    Actual riding time was 5hrs 50mins

Loved every minute of it and once again that last blast downhill was brilliant.
    Kept my eyes open for Toni's blond pony tail but alas no sighting :cry:
    Hope you all enjoyed it.

Only casualty was the guy in white who came a cropper just after the pedestrian bridge and dislocated his shoulder :(
    I ride therefore I am
  • Well, struggled but got there in the end, had some serious pain from about 35 miles onward after a bit of an off. in the end 10hrs 10 minutes, but hey got there in the end. Loved every minute though what a great route great people great weather . Awesome.
    Specialized Epic FSR Carbon Comp (10)

Carrera banshee (10) the heaviest bike in the world, but my god is it strong....grrrrrrrrr

http://original.justgiving.com/richardeniffer
  • wow - writing just before hitting the sack! I was also in the group that went wrong way at checkpoint 1 - and also just before Shere we ended up going the wrong way too!

Had a little off, trying to be flash after coming over a bridge, faceplant! and bent brake lever!!

8 hours on the button, some of those hills killed me, but as others have said, once you see the sea, and know its all donw hill after that mammoth climb, it was exhillerating!

Loved every minute of it, included the pain!

And the weather was great, great day all round!
  • another one just before bed. absolutely loved the first section for just speed, racing through the park and down the hill from the start were amaing. all off the down hill was well worth the walks uphill :) (unfortunately i didnt even manage 1 of the 3 big climbs, just couldnt do it, so figured save the energy and just make it to the end). this did lead to me walking through the forested section, as i just couldnt seem to get any purchase on the roots and just sooooo demoralising as it was impossible to get into a good rythem.

i think we did it in around about 8 and a half hours.

however, every downhill was absolutely amazing fun, and had an amazing day. oh and sorry to the chap whose saddle i slid into whilst checking the gate behind me was def closed. no damage caused, just a rather red face and 2 very firmly grabbed brakes.

big respect for the guy in the crash test dummies riding top on the specialized road bike, and the guy with the marmite top on the gt roadie. rather them than me but they both made it so fair credit to them :)
  • Did it! I really enjoyed it, especially the bit before Shere. My only navigational problem was getting from Clapham Junction to Roehampton :oops: I set off at about 8.10 and took 7 1/2 hours including food stops.

Paully, I kept an eye out but didn't see you. Maybe get you that pint next year.

Edit: I'd like to make it clear that the 7 1/2 hours was Roehampton-Brighton, not Clapham Junction-Roehampton.