London to Brighton off road 2010

Comments

• I've got Panaracer Fire Pros (in yellow may I add) 2.1 even though they feel thinner, they seem to be spot on. I will be running around 6000000000000 PSI though for the faster sections.
    Specialized Epic FSR Carbon Comp (10)

Carrera banshee (10) the heaviest bike in the world, but my god is it strong....grrrrrrrrr

http://original.justgiving.com/richardeniffer
  • Zaim
    Zaim Posts: 28
    I'll be running my usual combo of off road tyres but pumped up hard as most of the trail will be compact single-track with possibly some mud as the weathers looking very changeable this week, wtf am I talking about this is England!

My wife has just advised me I will not be getting a lift home, which means I'll be taking the train after a well deserved pint.
    Boardman Hybrid Pro - FCN 7
    Ibis Mojo SL
    Orange P7 Pro Singlespeed
    Klein Pulse Race
  • I'm on the panaracer fire xc pros as well. 2.1s as well!!! I went for the "less is more" look with black on black. Otherwise my bike would have looked too ol skool!!!

Just checked the weather for sat along the route and it seems that rain is a (read dead cert) with medium breezes. That being said, it forecast that for last year and it turned out to be 24 degs with no wind!!!
    Trek Remedy 9.8 2013
  • I'm thinking my yellow fire pros will come in handy if I get lost/injured as rescue crews will be able to see me from upto 90 miles away.
    Specialized Epic FSR Carbon Comp (10)

Carrera banshee (10) the heaviest bike in the world, but my god is it strong....grrrrrrrrr

http://original.justgiving.com/richardeniffer
  • afcbian
    afcbian Posts: 424
    Something that rolls well is far more important on this route than grip
    Run reasonably high pressures (40-50psi) and all will be well
    There are a few technical sections but nothing to worry about
    Nothing overly muddy either from memory

I will be running 2.25 racing ralphs at 40 psi
    I ride therefore I am
  • Grifcp
    Grifcp Posts: 283
    Interesting afcbian thanks. I'm in a quandry now...my bike came with a 2.25 Racing Ralph on the back and Rocket Ron on the front but one ride in my local woods, which are very muddy rooty etc and I bought the Panaracers which are much better up there, but the Schwalbes were fast on the dry hard pack. Decisions decisions....
  • afcbian
    Grifcp wrote:
    Interesting afcbian thanks. I'm in a quandry now...my bike came with a 2.25 Racing Ralph on the back and Rocket Ron on the front but one ride in my local woods, which are very muddy rooty etc and I bought the Panaracers which are much better up there, but the Schwalbes were fast on the dry hard pack. Decisions decisions....

IMO fast and light is the way to go on this route..............unless the conditions have changed considerably since last year.
    And bear in mind that last year we had near record rainfall during the summer months and it still wasn't that muddy enroute.
    I had grippy heavy rubber on last year and didn't need it.
    There will always be the odd section that you say "i wish i had better tyres on" but they are few and far between.
    Only my opinion though.
    I ride therefore I am
  • Zaim
    So if the weathers going to be bad will anyone be wearing tights?

Just thinking I will bring a waterproof etc and if I were riding for a few hours I wouldn't bother with tights but 6+ hours could be cold.
    Ibis Mojo SL
    Klein Pulse Race
  • tony620
    tony620 Posts: 194
    hmm i only have 2.35 panracer rampage tyres :shock: might have to order a set of panracer fire xc. what do you guys think?

I will be wearing shorts and t shirt no matter rain or shine if i feel like i am getting cold i pedal faster :lol:
  • Not sure about tights, I could really use the pockets on my baggies so if it really is grim then I might wear them over 3/4s. According to the met office Saturday will have showers so in that case I'll not bother with tights (they stay wet when it stops raining, skin dries out).
  • afcbian
    tony620 wrote:
    I will be wearing shorts and t shirt no matter rain or shine if i feel like i am getting cold i pedal faster :lol:

Now that's my kind of cyclist :lol::lol::lol:

The trouble with this kind of event is that it's easy to get carried away and try to cover every base, meaning you try to take the kitchen sink with you in your backpack and that means weight you don't need.

I always work on the principle that you should take what you can't live without and everything else will be surplus to requirements.
    In all honesty, it will probably be showery on Saturday meaning some kind of light shower jacket will do nicely unless the forecast is for persistent rain.
    I tend to take everything to Brighton the night before and watch that nights forecast and then decide what goes in the backpack and what goes in the car
    Last year it was cold first thing and within 10 miles everyone, me included, was taking layers off as the temp rose to approx 24 degrees :shock:

I normally wear Humvees with an undershort but over this kind of distance I may simply wear a decent bibshort or bib 3/4

Whatever, I can't wait to get cracking again.

Just a note guys and girls, the ethos of this event from the BHF point of view is that you are supposed to be largely self sufficient regards food and drink. They have drink stations but they are NOT easy to spot and we missed virtually all of them last year.
    The one exception is the pub/village stop shown on the map but last year it was very busy.
    I ride therefore I am
  • tony620
    I tend to take everything to Brighton the night before

What do you travel to brighton then to the start point in london via train?
  • Pat B
    Pat B Posts: 20
    I'm riding Specialized The Captain Armadillo Elite 2Bliss Tyre £40 each but so far look good. I've had so many punctures lately!!

This is my first ride so I'm looking for anyone leaving at 7.30 who knows the London end of the route. I'm from the Brighton end and know the route from Henfield including the last climb which isn't that bad when you've done 30 miles. Not sure when you've done 65!
  • Bib shorts and baggys, 3/4 sleeved t shirt. Lighweight shell jacket in my bag. Micro pump and puncture kit in an under saddle bag.
    Trek Remedy 9.8 2013
  • tony620
    i am still debating on wearing padded short under the baggies or just to rough it up in the baggies only :lol:
  • afcbian
    tony620 wrote:
    I tend to take everything to Brighton the night before

What do you travel to brighton then to the start point in london via train?

Yes we stay in Brighton overnight then catch the train to Clapham/Barnes on Saturday morning, we get to the start at about 0830 ish

That way the car acts as a storage centre in Brighton and is there waiting for us when we arrive there.
    I ride therefore I am
  • Def wear your padded shorts under ya baggies!! 75 miles is gonna grind ya ass even with the comfiest of saddles.

Here's a good general idea of the weather to be expected!

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/day ... est+Sussex

Usual met office disclaimer applies : For an accurate up to date forecast, look out the window!

Just ask any pilot!
    Trek Remedy 9.8 2013
  • How easy is route finding on this ride? My pack has been delayed (but that is all sorted now, hopefully) so I don't know how much the ride is marked or how much map reading will be necessary.
  • No map reading needed! There are signs and also bhf staff along route. Jf you pm me your email address I have last years route on a PDF file that I can send you.

Tyre pressures wise, I will be running about 50psi
    Trek Remedy 9.8 2013
  • tony620
    Just need to decide if I should order the panracer fire xc tyres now in 2.1 or just stick withe the 2.35 rampages.
  • I checked to see what tyres I have on my MTB and they are Specialized Enduro 2.0. I've pumped them up to just under 50psi and I'm hoping that they're not going to be too hard-going for me. I just worry that my 1.5 semi-slicks will be too slim, and slightly uncomfortable over such a long period.

I've also changed my mind, and will be wearing my shorter tights in case of rain (don't want them to stay wet too long), and will take my light jacket with me, which I will probably have on at the start.

I'm thinking of taking food bars for the journey but have decided against taking a rucksack as I'd originally planned (makes my back wet and is just extra bulk. What's everyone's thoughts on what food to carry? I'm thinking just bars and gels (along with just two bottles with sports drink in them)....my bike is heavy enough, without wanting to add to the weight!
  • Zaim
    Definitely taking a Camelbak and was going to pack it with a waterproof, base layer and possibly another jersey as I sweat loads.

Food wise I'm packing what I can best describe as lunch. So a sarnie, banana, some oat bars and figs.

Plus the usual spares and tools.
    Ibis Mojo SL
    Klein Pulse Race
  • My boyfriend is telling me that I should take his camelbak but I'm just really reluctant to wear anything on my back. I tend to only take small regular sips to stay hydrated on longer rides anyway (he gets through lots of liquid) but unless I'm really hammering it on a ride I tend not to need it (not that I've ever ridden this far!).

But I'm also aware of what afcbian said about missing all the waters stops last year, so if that happens I'm not going to be able to fill up if needed.

I'm taking an under-saddle pack for puncture kit etc but there's only so much stuff that I can fit in that.

Oh what to do.

I suppose when it comes down to it, until I've completed the ride I won't know what works for me, so until then I'll just remain open to all the advice people offer who have done it before.
  • You wanna be carrying as little as poss. I only carry a lightweight shell jacket, food, water, minipump, puncture kit, multitool and some cable ties.

Last year I rescued some blokes bike where managed to bust his rear mech hanger. Cable ties cover a lot of trail side issues and are lightweight.
    Trek Remedy 9.8 2013
  • Toni, take a camelbak.
    Trek Remedy 9.8 2013
  • Ok, I will take the camelbak.
  • Oh, what a beautiful day! wish the ride was happening today!!! Got my bike back from a service yesterday, and this morning I have just been for a ride out to Guildford along the river/Wey Navigations...Absolutely lovely ride it was....bike felt great, and it just rolled so fast...
    Come on weather, hold out for Saturday!
    As per Paully's comments really - defo take a camelbak, but light load as possible...
  • Toni, why isn't ya boyfriend doing it then?
    Trek Remedy 9.8 2013
  • Pat B
    Pat B Posts: 20
    Hi,

The weather down the Brighton end for Saturday is saying 14c with wind at our backs when we are coming of Truleigh Hill so should be a fast finish. I used a Camelbak for the first time at the weekend and couldn’t believe I left it so long to buy one. Not sure about the London end but the Sussex end is sheltered so don’t think the weather will affect that much until we got on top of the hill before the decent to the finish
  • paully617 wrote:
    Toni, why isn't ya boyfriend doing it then?

When I signed up to do it, he originally had something planned for that day that he couldn't get out of, but he is now available and talking about doing it still. He's hardly been out on his bike in the last few months, so I'm encouraging him to see sense and wait until next year!