Useless Police!!!

Comments

• what you need to understand with this sort of thing is the bloke who had your bike wasnt necessarily the person who stole it. if he had bought it in good faith then the police are put in a very difficult position. your there saying its yours, and chances are it is, but what is the new owner supposed to do. hand over a bike that hes paid good money for. how would you react in the same situation. i imagine it would be another thread on here complaining that the police came to your house and took your new bike.
  • handling stolen goods is a crime :p

Simple fact in this as long as you have yoru frame numbers the guy is legally bound to return it to you, and he has to get reperations from the thief. its a big circle witht eh fat lazy police in the middle doing nothing but trying to find people to give speeding fines too...
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    heffordvtr wrote:
    what you need to understand with this sort of thing is the bloke who had your bike wasnt necessarily the person who stole it. if he had bought it in good faith then the police are put in a very difficult position. your there saying its yours, and chances are it is, but what is the new owner supposed to do. hand over a bike that hes paid good money for. how would you react in the same situation. i imagine it would be another thread on here complaining that the police came to your house and took your new bike.

Receiving stolen goods is illegal - buyer beware. Yes, he should hand it over.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Heff.

I know he wasn't the original thief but in law the bike was legally mine irrespective of how much he paid for it. He bought it off e-bay with Paypal so would be able to get his money back. You didn't meet the bloke, i did and he certainly didn't react to me and the Police the way i would. So it wouldn't surprise me if he got his money back and "had the bike stolen". He'd bought the bike to sell on, so double profit for him I'd imagine!!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    The police are a waste of space, i was trying to find a space by the corner shop last night and had one tail me and call me because i looked suspicious...

Sounds like good pro-active policing to me.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Depends how you do it, and with what attitude,

Smug your scum and i know your up to something attitude is not required.
  • its not on but saying that if the tea leaf had had it in a vehicle it would not be a problem for the police no problem for police stopping cars for no reason
    To Infinity and Beyond
  • passout wrote:
    heffordvtr wrote:
    what you need to understand with this sort of thing is the bloke who had your bike wasnt necessarily the person who stole it. if he had bought it in good faith then the police are put in a very difficult position. your there saying its yours, and chances are it is, but what is the new owner supposed to do. hand over a bike that hes paid good money for. how would you react in the same situation. i imagine it would be another thread on here complaining that the police came to your house and took your new bike.

Receiving stolen goods is illegal - buyer beware. Yes, he should hand it over.

that's probably why it was 'stolen' from his house. ie sold to get his money back as it was going to be taken by the police.

my cousin is a member of the West Yorkshire police. Please people, let off steam by all means, but don't do it to the bobby that you come face to face with. He says it's the first time in 25 years of being a copper that he doesn't like it. they're not allowed to do their job, they have to chase certain figures and results, in each constabulary. West Yorks won't mind too much because the theft was in Somerset, so not their figures, is it?

I have a problem with how the government have run down ambulance, fire, police, education and health, and it's the foot soldiers that always get the brunt, regardless if they deserve it or not.

not saying i love the po-po, cos i don't, but they're just people innit.
  • bregante
    bregante Posts: 271
    I know he wasn't the original thief but in law the bike was legally mine irrespective of how much he paid for it. He bought it off e-bay with Paypal so would be able to get his money back. You didn't meet the bloke, i did and he certainly didn't react to me and the Police the way i would. So it wouldn't surprise me if he got his money back and "had the bike stolen". He'd bought the bike to sell on, so double profit for him I'd imagine!!

If the person who bought the bike from ebay - proved that that is how he bought it, the legal position here is a difficult one. The bike (or whatever) becomes subject of a civil procedure known as interpleader and the Police are unable to just "seize it" in these circumstances. To do so would be a breach of the law. I recognise that the circumstances are very unfortunate and I too would be seething but there was little the officers could do. However, the theiving scumbag that sold the item on ebay should be investigated and this (ebay - online fraud) is an area that the Police have still to get to grips with efectively.
  • bails87
    Bregante
    Is that true?

I know with cars, if the police find out that you've bought a stolen car, genuinely by accident, they'll take it off you, return it to the owner and leave you with no money and no car.
    MTB/CX

• there was little the officers could do.

They could (should) have nicked the bloke on suspicion of handling stolen goods.

This was an easy collar for the police: "My bike was stolen. It's in this bloke's house. Here's the bloke. Here's the bike." But they blew it because they're hopeless.
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    bails87

Yeah, I would have thought that being stolen goods in the first place it would legally still be the property of the original owner, irrespective if the second buyer "bought it in good faith" which, by the sounds of it seems more than mildly unlikely.

Fair play to you though on the use of restraint on this matter, i'd have most likely taken it back forcibly when I first found it, & by now be investing heavily in "window bricks", "tyre razors" or "shin bats".

Hope you get it sorted!
    J
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • There's a bit of generalisation of the Five-0 going on here.

I'm sure all of you have had good service from them at some point in your lives? As other people have said the rozzers have their hands tied due to government targets, the lame CPS, meddling human rights groups, out of touch judges and loop-hole happy lawyers.

The police, as a whole, must be doing a good job as last time I looked out the window there wasn't much anarchy going on.

Saying that this did seem like an easy collar to add to the crime solving stats so loved by the government and was probably missed due to someone going off duty, or worse, they just didn't care.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • Actually, I haven't had a good experience with them.

Had a bike stolen at uni which they ignored completely with no follow up, and the guy i was reporting it to was very disenterested.( ver 1.3k worth of bike too)

I have been pulled over by an unmarked car and been fairly unpleasently treated with no reason, waste of 40minutes of my life.

And then last night making me wait for a check on my license again with a totally arrogant attitude and general unpleasentness.

These days my general opinion of police is alot of them are either Bullies or lazy, and I wouldn't gerneally stop to P.£s on one if he was on fire. bit harsh maybe but I have give them three chances to at least have maners.
  • I'm sure all of you have had good service from them at some point in your lives?

If only.

The time I had my wallet stolen by some of my students, I did my own investigation and uncovered CCTV footage of the thieves using my credit cards in JJB Sports. I offered to view the footage with the police and identify the culprits. They wouldn't let me. "Data Protection, innit." This isn't even true. The owners of the footage (JJB) were more than happy for me to view the footage with the police. It wasjust a way for the rozzers to get out of doing their job properly.

Or maybe the time a gang of drunks in the park were shouting and swearing, and one of them exposed themselves to my wife and one year-old son. Two PCs were walking past. My wife told them and asked them to move the drunks on. The PCs told my wife off for being intolerant and how the drunks had "just as much right" to be in the park as her.

So no, I've never had a good experience of the police.
    Saying that this did seem like an easy collar to add to the crime solving stats so loved by the government and was probably missed due to someone going off duty, or worse, they just didn't care.
    Spot on.
  • But we tend to overlook the good experiences and they don't always have to have directly involved you.

How about the fact that you are less likely to be a victim of violent crime now than, say, 10 years ago?

Or that car crime is down, rapes are down etc.

You're safer now, despite what the Daily Mail claims, than you were a decade ago.

As with everything in life we tend to focus on the bad and overlook the good.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
  • bails87
    As other people have said the rozzers have their hands tied due to government targets, the lame CPS, meddling human rights groups, out of touch judges and loop-hole happy lawyers.

Who are you, Gene Hunt? "Don't get your knickers in a twist darling, now get in my Quattro" :wink:

Agree with the general sentiment though. Unless you're a criminal you probably won't ever have any contact with the very good officers.

And if you know you've done nothing wrong then you'll take it badly when you get stopped-and-searched or pulled over in the car.

But if you went on to commit a serious crime, and it turned out that the Police had only asked nice questions and given you the benefit of the doubt on everything, then the victims would be pretty peeved.
    MTB/CX

• Simon,

Its the face of the police though, and how they deal witht he public. The police solve alot of cases through public appeal, but offiers have said they often do not get alot of help.

Why because they have victamised and bullied perfectly ordinary people who now wont help them no matter what.

Also i take goverment stats with a large pinch of salt, its easy to misrepresent information to say what you wish. In finance we take great pains for like to like comparisons.
  • How about the fact that you are less likely to be a victim of violent crime now than, say, 10 years ago?

Or that car crime is down, rapes are down etc.

You're safer now, despite what the Daily Mail claims, than you were a decade ago.

As with everything in life we tend to focus on the bad and overlook the good.

It's true that economic crime is down but this is more due to greater overall prosperity, better security in cars, and the fact that consumer electronic items are virtually worthless on the black market, than anything the police have or haven't done.

As for violence, most violent crimes are crimes of passion (ie done in anger and in the heat of the moment) and have nothing to do with police numbers or tactics. However, give the police their due, they seem to have responded positively to street crime in town centres at kicking-out time. A visible presence of uniformed officers certainly does make the streets safer and in my opinion they have got this right. I just worry that because of that, we have a generation of police officers who see their job as "locking up drunks" and "fining motorists", and aren't interested in anything that requires more resources or effort than that.
  • So....the police are damned if they do damned if they don't?

I've never had a bad experience with coppers...I've found any I've had dealings with to be polite and responsive.

Maybe it's a Devon and Cornwall thing....I don't know but I can't subscribe to the 'all rozzers are crap' arguement.

I used to be scared of the cops when I was growing up in the 70s and 80s. Now they mean nothing to the 'yoof' of today because their powers have been removed.

Maybe we should just clone the afforementioned Gene Hunt....mixed with a bit of Regan and Carter.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
  • Simon,

Its the face of the police though, and how they deal witht he public. The police solve alot of cases through public appeal, but offiers have said they often do not get alot of help.

Why because they have victamised and bullied perfectly ordinary people who now wont help them no matter what.

Also i take goverment stats with a large pinch of salt, its easy to misrepresent information to say what you wish. In finance we take great pains for like to like comparisons.

But that's counter productive and those people who don't help when they could have will be the first people calling the fuzz when they need them.

That's just the root of the problems with society....an attitude of 'fcuk 'em' that just goes around in circles. Help me to help you as it were.

OK...starting to sound like someone from the Jesus Army now.....
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
  • true in some ways,

But why would i want to deal with a group of people in my area who i have had 0 good experiences with, and have left me feeling victimised. Answer is i'm not going too. The police need to sort out thee attitude problems that seem to be plagueing certain area's.

I have heard of so many experiences witht eh gwent police it amazes me
  • bails87
    true in some ways,

But why would i want to deal with a group of people in my area who i have had 0 good experiences with, and have left me feeling victimised. Answer is i'm not going too. The police need to sort out thee attitude problems that seem to be plagueing certain area's.

I have heard of so many experiences witht eh gwent police it amazes me

but you're not just helping the police. You're helping the rape victim or the family whose house has been burgled or the guy who has had his bike stolen.
    MTB/CX

• I don't disagree, but the police want help on many local issues im not just talking about the big scary crimes.

Community systems and so on, I would not participate in a scheme with teh police these days to be honest
  • I don't disagree, but the police want help on many local issues im not just talking about the big scary crimes.

Community systems and so on, I would not participate in a scheme with teh police these days to be honest

Surely that removes their ability to make up for any bad feeling they have previously generated. If you never talk to a copper again, they stay at the score of -3 forever.
  • bails87
    People around here really hold a grudge don't they :wink:
    MTB/CX

• Indeed, but an on-line company say fails service wise and they don't get used again and people avoid them. As a Public service it has no quality control as above so i can not see how there service can improve as there is no feedback system.

Mostly they are asking for our help while providing little back to lot of people. why would most people who have had repeat bad experiences go back for more? its not like the police can say we have a new friendly face... it would be a lie
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Indeed, but an on-line company say fails service wise and they don't get used again and people avoid them.

But you're not asking CRC or Merlin to protect your community from thieves, murderers and rapists are you? :lol:
  • Indeed, but an on-line company say fails service wise and they don't get used again and people avoid them. As a Public service it has no quality control as above so i can not see how there service can improve as there is no feedback system.

Mostly they are asking for our help while providing little back to lot of people. why would most people who have had repeat bad experiences go back for more? its not like the police can say we have a new friendly face... it would be a lie

The policing of society is not just down to the boys in blue...we have a moral, and probably legal, obligation to either report crime or provide help/evidence/support where needed.

In the case of the OP this course of action failed. But it doesn't mean we should just give up.

As a human being I couldn't sit back and let some jackass get away with a crime if I knew something that would help. That just means the little scumbag gets away and injures/robs/whatever some other poor bugger in the future.

If you stand by and do nothing you're just as bad as the person comitting the crime.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    When my wife's stolen bike turned up outside a neighbour's flat we nicked it back without involving the police. It's the best way.