Useless Police!!!

huskyboy64
huskyboy64 Posts: 24
edited February 2010 in MTB general
Long story short.....My son had his Marin Rock Springs stolen from Taunton (Somerset). I managed to trace it to Wakefield (Yorks.) Called Police, gave 'em name and address of guy in Wakefield. Police said "the officer dealing with this case won't be in for a day or two but i'll flag it on his computer" !?!? So i drove from somerset to wakefield and rang 'em again when i was outside the blokes house....surprise, surprise they turn up pretty quick, but wouldn't seize the bike!?!?
On New Years day they turn up on the doorstep and tell my 11 year son that his pride and joy will be coming home after they've finished with it.
6 weeks later i ring the cops to find out what's happenning, only to be told that the bike was somehow "stolen" from the guy who had it in Wakefield, they hadn't siezed it and it has now disappeared.
So they LIED to my son, and were so INCOMPETENT/NEGLIGENT that the bike has now disappeared AGAIN.
I did their job for them, all they had to do was pick the bike up and sort out the scum bags who nicked it. USELESS ******S

So if any of you out there hears of or knows of someone who's just got a 02/03 Silver Rock Springs TARA, with Tioga DH tyres and a leaky Air Shock, please let me know.

Pissed off dad.

Comments

• biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    feel for ya pal.
    welcome to law and order U.K.
    what a f*ckin joke , not the least suprised.
    if i knew the location of my stolen bike , the front door would have been kicked in.
    leave the rozzers to harrass motorists and collect fines etc.
  • Sounds like standard procedure unfortunately :(
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Welcome to the world of health and safety and paperwork. Break the fucker's door down, take the bike, give it back to your son, not that hard really is it? Or so you would think...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Similar thread over on STW recently, bike owner did all the work, arranged a meet with the thief (to buy back their bike) police still failed to apprehend the villains and wouldn't chase after them when they legged it. Woe betide you though if you take the law into your own hands, then they'll be interrested. Lose / lose situation for the average law abiding citizen.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    stumpyjon wrote:
    Lose / lose situation for the average law abiding citizen.

couldn't have put it better.
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Welcome to the world of health and safety and paperwork. Break the ******'s door down, take the bike, give it back to your son, not that hard really is it? Or so you would think...
    yeah. thats the sort of thing you see on TV, in USA. here when it comes to law and stuff UK are one of the worst. one of the thngs i hate about this place
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    jay12 wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Welcome to the world of health and safety and paperwork. Break the ******'s door down, take the bike, give it back to your son, not that hard really is it? Or so you would think...
    yeah. thats the sort of thing you see on TV, in USA. here when it comes to law and stuff UK are one of the worst. one of the thngs i hate about this place

English police are far better than USA retards.

Trust me though that is not great praise, like saying having one arm sawed off is better than having both.

Just steal your bike back next time.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • That story is worthy of a complaint to the Chief Constable of the offending force. They can't just "lose" someone's property like that. It's incompetence.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    While I feel for the OP, especially after your own detective work, I'm sure the police see it as "it's just a stolen bike". In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter as much as a lot of non traffic cases.
  • ilovedirt
    GHill wrote:
    While I feel for the OP, especially after your own detective work, I'm sure the police see it as "it's just a stolen bike". In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter as much as a lot of non traffic cases.
    It doesn't matter, it's their job.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • GHill
    ilovedirt wrote:
    GHill wrote:

Indeed, but I imagine they have to prioritise at some point.
  • Shoes
    Shoes Posts: 19
    If you manage to trace the bike again I wouldn't be so keen on kicking the door down and stealing it back this time as the incident of them turning up and doing bugger all would be recorded and the person you took it back from would instantly say it was the same person.

Its a crap situation to be in, but as some others have said, with that level of intelligence in my hand I wouldn't have involved the police at all. Where possible I would have just taken the bike as discretely as possible, no point kicking someone's door down and giving them a hiding just to incriminate yourself when its sat in the back garden if you get my drift.

As much as you (and I) would love to hand out some corporal punishment, its will just end up with you in worse trouble.

Ridiculous story though, the police really are unbelievably incompetent.
    Stafford Photographer - Lawtonsoul Photography

All of your photographic needs covered, from portraiture to weddings.
  • Priority or not, you'd think that would be a nice easy crime for them to wrap up quickly as all the work had been done for them already....... The police are obviously not just lazy, they are retarded too! :roll:

Complain, they deserve it.

I reported a bag stolen once, the police ignored it and didn't log my call. I then had a visit from two detectives questioning me about my involvement in a burglary because they'd found a bag belonging to me at the scene! :shock:

'kin retards!
  • ilovedirt
    GHill wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:
    GHill wrote:

if they have to prioritise on things like that (i don't see nicking a £1000 + bike as a small matter), then maybe the police shouldn't be making job cuts, especially in a time of recession when there are lots of unemployed who could do with jobs and may consider stealing to keep bread on the table, if you know what i mean.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Put a complaint in and keep complaining. If you're enough of a pain in thr arse they will start to be proactive.
  • GHill
    ilovedirt wrote:
    if they have to prioritise on things like that (i don't see nicking a £1000 + bike as a small matter), then maybe the police shouldn't be making job cuts, especially in a time of recession when there are lots of unemployed who could do with jobs and may consider stealing to keep bread on the table, if you know what i mean.

I can see your point, but a stolen bike (at almost any value) is small potatoes compared to assault, rape, murder, massive fraud, armed robbery, burglary etc. Heck, it's not even comparable to a stolen car and how much effort goes into recovering/detecting those?

As for cuts, they're publicly funded via council tax (and probably other public purses). Their costs increase but very few people want to pay more tax - how do you prioritise their spending?
  • birchy
    birchy Posts: 309
    Lose / lose situation for the average law abiding citizen.)

I would take the the second lose knock sh%t out of them and take my bike then for me it win /lose, get my bike back seve some justice and lose by a small fine and a smack on the wrist cos thats all you most likely get
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    GHill wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:
    GHill wrote:

Perhaps competancy and integrity should be priorities?
  • Also I'd approach a national newspaper of your choice with this story. They'd probably run it.
  • Just out of interest - what was the link between Taunton and Wakefield? must have been some good detective work on your part and well restrained for not kicking the door in - I would have ! - sounds like a story for HTV to me - they love stuff like that............
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange Evo 8 STOLEN 26/09/10
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    OP - Can I ask what kind of proof did you had to show the police your bike was in that house and that it was indeed yours?
  • GHill
    Monkeypump wrote:
    Perhaps competancy and integrity should be priorities?

I wouldn't argue with that, and that is the main problem in this specific case - apologies for the derailment into more general bike theft.
  • ilovedirt
    GHill wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:

I can see your point, but a stolen bike (at almost any value) is small potatoes compared to assault, rape, murder, massive fraud, armed robbery, burglary etc. Heck, it's not even comparable to a stolen car and how much effort goes into recovering/detecting those?

As for cuts, they're publicly funded via council tax (and probably other public purses). Their costs increase but very few people want to pay more tax - how do you prioritise their spending?
    Those people should be glad that they have a police service and an NHS at all in the first place.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    Welcome to England: the Country where pizza gets to your house quicker than the police
  • johnnyc...the bike was stolen from Taunton. But when i spotted it on e-bay it had gotten to Wakefield. When i was in the blokes house in Wakefield with the bike and the police, he mentioned the e-bay username of the people who sold it to him. So back home did a search and hey presto theyre selling other stuff. It's not rocket science to get names addresses and phone numbers. But i'm obviously a lot quicker at it than the police!!
  • llamafarmer...........i described the bike in minute detail to the police, with info. that only the original owner and someone who had spent many an hour in the shed working on it would have known.
  • hyperman
    hyperman Posts: 232
    pm me the guys name and address, i might be be able to help with this one.
  • As HebdenBiker said, call the press, they would love it. The police would hate it.

I had to tell a policewoman the law last week, she wasn't so sure it was against the law for people to be doing a certain drug (the party that was going on cost me a days riding for lack of sleep). I reported it to the police who couldn't have give less of a shit.
  • hyperman wrote:
    pm me the guys name and address, i might be be able to help with this one.

yeh me too
  • The police are a waste of space, i was trying to find a space by the corner shop last night and had one tail me and call me because i looked suspicious... I was just trying to find a parking space!!

To be honest i have nothing good to say about the police from any time i have dealt with them