Arrest warrant issued for landis

Comments

• Never mind the article, read the comments underneath!
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/02/ ... dis_105186
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    Monty Dog wrote:
    The only reason his 'mate' would not want him to go France is just in case he's got nothing to do whilst in the clink except write a book!

Positively Positive? I await with bated breath! :wink:
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Never mind the article, read the comments underneath!
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/02/ ... dis_105186

Interesting. A few very "vocal" postings on both sides. I did like the one that said something like "if Floyd can hack in so can someone else". I'll bet this whole thing stirs up more than a few new conspiracy theories. I do love those things. :wink:
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Some good material for another chapter of his book, anyhow. Maybe the French authorities could set up some kind of fake award ceremony in Switzerland after it gets released and nab him that way.

Also, does this mean he won't be able to defend his Tour of the Bahamas title next year?
  • dennisn
    afx237vi wrote:
    Some good material for another chapter of his book, anyhow. Maybe the French authorities could set up some kind of fake award ceremony in Switzerland after it gets released and nab him that way.

You could have something there. With the proper exploitation and ad men this could become a win / win for him. :wink::wink:
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    A coincidence that this occurred after he said he wanted to race in Europe again?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    donrhummy wrote:
    A coincidence that this occurred after he said he wanted to race in Europe again?

Yes. Nothing more.

A hacker for hire was arrested last year for hacking into Greenpeace. During the investigation it was discovered that the same hacker had taken a payment from one Arnie Baker in 06. LNDD was hacked as part of Floyd s defence.

Sorry, no conspiracy, just evidence of a crime that Arnie and possibly Floyd were involved in.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Bakunin wrote:
    I wonder if Landis will be the one that brings it all down.
    Well,with his religious upbringing,I'm sure it wouldn't occur to him to lie in court :lol::lol:
    I can just see it:

"Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?"
    "Er...[long pause]... I'll say yes"
    N00b commuter with delusions of competence

FCN 11 - If you scalp me, do I not bleed?
  • iainf72 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

So what's the "international" aspect of all this. If it's only good in France why call it "international"??? Or does that mean that if someone wants to "nab him" and bring him to France they can??? I'm not following something.

It's being misreported.

Yes.
    Seems to be some confusion out there as to whether the type of warrant issued has been mis-reported.
    Some sources are now claim that its not international, but only valid for France.
    In which case, he would not be subject to automatic arrest, were he to enter an EU country. The French would need to make a formal request, which may be too much trouble.

However.
    Earlier Monday, France's anti-doping chief Pierre Bordry had mistakenly described the arrest warrant as international. Granoux stressed that the warrant is only applicable on French soil. It is possible in such cases to issue an international warrant at a later date if needed.

So, its just one step away.
  • The best comment by far was the "his legs were fresher because he bonked the day before" line.
    I actually think he has been punished enough.
    Dan
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    The best comment by far was the "his legs were fresher because he bonked the day before" line.
    I actually think he has been punished enough.[/quote]

I'd be inclined to agree. Admittedly he's the author of his own downfall, but he's lost his job, his money, his wife and is supposed to be living either in a van or on someones sofa. Theres not much left now and I'd guess he can only go so deep.

One Pantani was one too many,
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Doping is an ethical issue so it's not black and white, we can debate whether Landis has had a rough time.

But Landis now has a judicial case to answer and whether you are poor or rich, you can't avoid these things.
  • Whilst I agree he's been through the mill, I also agree with Kleber, if you don't want to be punished, don't keep on commiting offences.

Imagine how much better his life could now be if he'd have just coughed to it? What was it LeMond told him (prior to Landis instructing his manager to ring him up and pretend to be his abuser... All class)? "The secret will destroy you"
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Gordo's World of Zoom http://zoom-gordo.blogspot.com/
    Those that can, do. Those that can't write about it.
  • I think most would agree that Landis has been punished enough; probably more than enough.
    However, his current misfortune is a direct result of the course of action he chose to follow.
    He is undoubtably the victim of poor advice from his dodgy associates.
  • I'm with the Goat. I think that for him personally it would have been better to hold his hands up and admit what he did.
  • dennisn
    He is undoubtably the victim of poor advice from his dodgy associates.

I don't know??? How come Floyd can't give himself poor advise????
    And who are these "dodgy associates"???? You guys have got anyone whose
    having problems in cycling always associated with "dodgy" people. I say that most of these riders can be idiots on their own. They don't need to "hire out" stupid. :wink::wink:
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,477
    dennisn wrote:
    having problems in cycling always associated with "dodgy" people. I say that most of these riders can be idiots on their own. They don't need to "hire out" stupid. :wink::wink:

You may be right Dennis. But in Landis' case, his association with Arnie Baker, whose IP address is the same as that of the computer used in this hacking incident, and Will Geoghegan, who made that call to Lemond, have done considerable damage to his case and his reputation. Presumably Landis employed these two fine, upstanding men of honour?
  • iainf72
    Andy - I'm not sure about that IP address in light of the hacker fellow admitting to stealing the documents, passing them on to someone who passed them on in turn.

Anyway, Landis responds. I wonder if he ever got the original summons?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/landis- ... ng-charges
  • dennisn
    andyp wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

You may be right Dennis. But in Landis' case, his association with Arnie Baker, whose IP address is the same as that of the computer used in this hacking incident, and Will Geoghegan, who made that call to Lemond, have done considerable damage to his case and his reputation. Presumably Landis employed these two fine, upstanding men of honour?

However it went down, this whole thing reminds me of that old saying "Ya can't fix stupid".
  • Kléber
    iainf72 wrote:
    Anyway, Landis responds. I wonder if he ever got the original summons?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/landis- ... ng-charges
    Apparently one went out on to Baker in November and one to Landis went out several weeks ago. But they are requests made to the police in France, they are not international matters handed to Interpol, the FBI and others.

Apparently Landis has spent $2 million on his legal defence and appeals: caught by an anti-doping control, he's been taken to the cleaners by his lawyers. Has anyone in his entourage ever given him a moment's good advice?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited October 2012
    Carefrul. Floyd is watching...
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    Kléber wrote:

Apparently one went out on to Baker in November and one to Landis went out several weeks ago. But they are requests made to the police in France, they are not international matters handed to Interpol, the FBI and others.

So is the case now a criminal charge re: hacking or merely a "you didn't show up for court"

I expect both sides will come out of this looking stupid. Again.
  • Kléber
    It's merely an investigation into the hacked data, the French want to talk to Landis, he ducked a court appearance and so there's now a warrant out for him and Baker too.

Somehow this has got egged into an international matter but looking more closely, this is all an exaggeration.
  • I don't know what role Landis had in any computer hacking, but his "team" certainly have been responsible for much mischief, as has been noted above. I do know that the evidence clearly shows that he doped, and he lacked the character to take responsibility for his actions. I put Landis in the same bunch as Ricco, Hamilton and Vinokourov. Rat bastards who are poison to the sport.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    It's a shame Floyd is still using the same combative language he was using almost 4 years ago. You'd think he'd be sick of all the arguing by now.
  • I don't know what role Landis had in any computer hacking, but his "team" certainly have been responsible for much mischief, as has been noted above. I do know that the evidence clearly shows that he doped, and he lacked the character to take responsibility for his actions. I put Landis in the same bunch as Ricco, Hamilton and Vinokourov. Rat bastards who are poison to the sport.

Would that be the same Ricco who admitted to it?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Would that be the same Ricco who admitted to it?

I don't think "admitted to it" quite captures Ricco's posture. He has talked about his doping with a smirk and with absolutely no expression of remorse. And then of course had the audacity to reject the mother of his child for having apparently done precisely the same thing.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Would that be the same Ricco who admitted to it?

I don't think "admitted to it" quite captures Ricco's posture. He has talked about his doping with a smirk and with absolutely no expression of remorse. And then of course had the audacity to reject the mother of his child for having apparently done precisely the same thing.

+1 Right on dude. Ricco, sucks, Landis sucks, and if the hacker allegation is true then Landis is dumb to boot. Because that surely is a different level of crime to doping in a particular sport.
  • iainf72
    dougzz wrote:

+1 Right on dude. Ricco, sucks, Landis sucks, and if the hacker allegation is true then Landis is dumb to boot. Because that surely is a different level of crime to doping in a particular sport.

Landis hasn't been accused of being a hacker. The French authorities have the man who did the hacking in custody.