Can you clock 30min 10mile ride

124»

Comments

• will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Clever Pun wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    You are allowed to be 10% over the speed limit so 33mph in a 30mph zone, 77mph on the motorway etc. Or so I've been told. It could be argued 22mph in Richmond Park....

FWIW you wont get stopped for doing 81-82 on a motorway... most of the time :wink:

........But occifer, this bloke on the internet said.............
  • flix23
    flix23 Posts: 72
    Ive managed my just-over-10 mile commute just once with an average speed of over 20mph and absolutely buried myself to do it.

It's a reasonably lumpy, (170m of climbing), route from Croydon to Ewell, and with multiple traffic lights, junctions and roundabouts, a different kettle of fish to something like Richmond Park.

Curiously though if traffic is light, traffic lights can work in your favour when it comes to raising average speeds - assuming you get through them. I'll often be sprinting up to around 30mph if I think there's a chance I can make a light before it changes.
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    This came out of a thread (hehe) in the Cake Stop.

30mile 10mile ride. It got me wondering, Can I do this. I'm going to find out. Until I do, I have to ask:

Can you?

If so what time have you clocked?

That including stopping at traffic lights?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Clever Pun wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    You are allowed to be 10% over the speed limit so 33mph in a 30mph zone, 77mph on the motorway etc. Or so I've been told. It could be argued 22mph in Richmond Park....

FWIW you wont get stopped for doing 81-82 on a motorway... most of the time :wink:

A car was tailgating me on the motorway, so I did what my Dad did (once when I was younger) and signalled him to go into the fast lane (third lane). There really wasn't any room for me to go into the left lane - we were in the middle lane - thus my annoyance at the tailgating simply because they wanted to overtake.

As he went into the lane on th right and overtook me I put my middle finger up at him. The car slowed back down, matched my speed(70mph) and the guy in the passenger seat promptly put his police badge to the window while saying something and pointing. I couldn't tell what so I just went about my business.

Glad I wasn't stopped though, it was my girlfriends birthday and we were on our way to Brighton.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

A car was tailgating me on the motorway, so I did what my Dad did (once when I was younger) and signalled him to go into the fast lane (third lane). There really wasn't any room for me to go into the left lane - we were in the middle lane - thus my annoyance at the tailgating simply because they wanted to overtake.

As he went into the lane on th right and overtook me I put my middle finger up at him. The car slowed back down, matched my speed(70mph) and the guy in the passenger seat promptly put his police badge to the window while saying something and pointing. I couldn't tell what so I just went about my business.

Glad I wasn't stopped though, it was my girlfriends birthday and we were on our way to Brighton.

The police? Speeding? Surely some mistake. (can't find a sarcasm emoticon)
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    rjsterry wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

The police? Speeding? Surely some mistake. (can't find a sarcasm emoticon)

You have to undertand that it's perfectly safe for the police to speed :roll:

DDD, it's possible that you were actually doing less than 70mph as typically speedos over read a bit the police car may have better calibrated instrumentation though.

Doesn't excuse the tailgating though.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    They do it to encourage you to speed up so they can then nick you for speeding. Cheap tactic.
  • MatHammond wrote:
    They do it to encourage you to speed up so they can then nick you for speeding. Cheap tactic.

I did 90+ mph one time on the M42 in front of 4 police cars and got thanked for it! :D

Basically I was overtaking a line of traffic in the inside lane (Northbound at the M6 junction where the overhead speed cameras stop) with another car a bit behind me.

I had about 5 cars to get past when I noticed the car behind suddenly pull in. I THEN saw this line of blue flashing lights behind him coming up. Fast.

I simply couldn't safely pull in, so I dropped a gear and caned it past the cars I was passing - passing 90mph as I did so. As soon as I was clear, I pulled in and the stream of Police cars went past. The passenger in the lead car looked over, smiled and waved 8)

This is why I like patrol cars - people take into account circumstances. Machines can't - had I been under the gantries I would've got a ticket.

It's also why the second time I got pulled over for doing stupid speeds on a push bike, the Policeman's first word was "Congratulations!" (with a smile on his face)

Oh, and my commute home now has those signs that show you your speed, and say "Thank You" if you are at or below it.

I want one to tell me off when I'm on my bike. I'll do the 30mph one for sure, but the 40mph one may take more doing! :twisted:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    My mate was once doing 95mph when he got flashed by a police car - he pulled over into the slow lane, started slowing down, and the cop zoomed past giving a thumbs up and off into the distance!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,373
    Clever Pun wrote:

Is that mashing or spinning?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Clever Pun wrote:

Is that mashing or spinning?

Cars dont like spinning too much.. if you can find one that's mashing at 80.. well you'll be dead within the hour
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Sorry for resurecting a dead thread, but i just went for a ride on my dinner break and managed 10 miles in 40 minutes. Pretty bad as I am not absolutely knackered from pushing hard against the wind :cry:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Kiblams wrote:
    Sorry for resurecting a dead thread, but i just went for a ride on my dinner break and managed 10 miles in 40 minutes. Pretty bad as I am not absolutely knackered from pushing hard against the wind :cry:

Dead thread? :shock: Last post wasn't even a day old! There's people around here would think nothing of dredging a thread up from the 1930s (probably something about newfangled derailleur things being silly modern technology that will never to catch on and how single speed/fixed is better anyway).
    Faster than a tent.......