Can you clock 30min 10mile ride

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    MatHammond wrote:
    I think Hutch was on a TT bike but not sure as I missed that one.

You might be right actually, although I think he rides a Transition now, not the Look.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    This came out of a thread (hehe) in the Cake Stop.

so you enjoyed jezmo's ramblings then??? :D
  • dresbo
    dresbo Posts: 129
    My commute is exactly 10 miles from central london to Addiscombe Surrey and with the 45 sets of traffic lights (which I stop for btw) on the way, my record is 34 minutes, so I'm guessing it's not too hard with a nice run.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    45min for 8 miles without stopping and with no wind.

Think I have some way to go :wink:
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    dresbo wrote:
    My commute is exactly 10 miles from central london to Addiscombe Surrey and with the 45 sets of traffic lights (which I stop for btw) on the way, my record is 34 minutes, so I'm guessing it's not too hard with a nice run.

I go the longer way (out via beckenham), keeps my averages up rather than going anywhere near brixton

in answer to the original question, I'd hope so
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • cjcp
    Clever Pun wrote:
    [

Very, very likely, I'd say.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    cjcp wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    [

Very, very likely, I'd say.

I'll be trying to break the hour on the extended commute this evening, I would have had a good chance too untill the sodding rain/snow stuff came down... grumble grumble

I suspect I'll end up ragging myself as time ticks closer :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    In my first ever TT (18 months ago) I did 29' 58" for a 10

Got it down to 27' 17" after a couple more tries.
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    No, see I can be positive if I put my mind to it. :wink:
  • My 7.4 mile commute PB is 22'16" so I reckon I could sneak in under 30 mins.
  • Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402
    Outside of Richmond Park can anyone recommend a good 10 mile loop for having a go at this?
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
  • cjcp
    Bikequin wrote:
    Outside of Richmond Park can anyone recommend a good 10 mile loop for having a go at this?

Tbh, your best bet is to enter a TT. They only cost about £5 and, as mentioned, they tend to avoid traffic lights. They also start very early to avoid as much traffic as possible and are marshalled.

However, if you want a crack all the same, Thames Turbo use a route from Hampton Hill swimming pool, left at the junction to Hampton Court roundabout, back on yourself and turn left at the lights by the waterworks and head along into Lower Sunbury. You then double back on yourself after the second or third roundabout. Best check Bikely for that.

You wouldn't need to go to Hampton Hill, though. You could start on the Hampton Wick side of Kingston Bridge and join the route at Hampton Court.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Good question! Currently definitely not, but with being a fair weather commuter (with the very reasonable excuse of only have a job with a commute in the summer) I shall endeavour to try this year.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    cjcp wrote:
    Bikequin wrote:

Tbh, your best bet is to enter a TT. They only cost about £5 and, as mentioned, they tend to avoid traffic lights. They also start very early to avoid as much traffic as possible and are marshalled.

Not all start very early, so it's worth checking in your area. There's one near me (Levens) which does start early on Bank Holidays, but I've seen TTs on the A6 near Garstang on a Sunday afternoon, and Lancaster CC's Caton 10s tend to be about 7pm or 7:30 or so (midweek).
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402
    Thanks CJ, thats just down the road from where my parent live so might have to give it a try - In the past I've seen people doing what looks like TTs along the same route that you're talking about so I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for the next one.

I imagine doubling back on yourself at Hampton Court roundabout can be a bit hairy!
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
  • cjcp
    Agent57 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Bikequin wrote:

Not all start very early, so it's worth checking in your area. There's one near me (Levens) which does start early on Bank Holidays, but I've seen TTs on the A6 near Garstang on a Sunday afternoon, and Lancaster CC's Caton 10s tend to be about 7pm or 7:30 or so (midweek).

Fair point. My club's midweek TT starts at 7.30-ish. It just seems that every time I see a post about a TT, I look at the start time and think, "not a prayer!" :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Bikequin wrote:
    I imagine doubling back on yourself at Hampton Court roundabout can be a bit hairy!

Yeah, it's not a great one, but they use it in their triathlons on Bank Holiday Mondays, so there's not much traffic.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    cjcp wrote:
    Fair point. My club's midweek TT starts at 7.30-ish. It just seems that every time I see a post about a TT, I look at the start time and think, "not a prayer!" :)
    Same here. Shame, really, wouldn't mind doing some of the club 10s
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Same here. Shame, really, wouldn't mind doing some of the club 10s

I've done some after commuting home like a bat out of hell. I clocked a PB, ironically. Legs warmed up, I guess. But they're too early for me to get too really.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    cjcp wrote:

Hehe, yeah, I get that. I'd like to ride the Levens L1015 course because it's supposedly very fast. It's the course that Bradley Wiggins set a record on some years ago (17:58 / 33.4mph). But the Lancaster CC TTs on there start at about 8am, and it's about 20 miles away; which would take me well over an hour to cycle - probably more like 90 minutes if I'm going to do a TT after it. :D
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    Bikequin wrote:

Cobham to Horsley Towers is pretty well 5 miles on the dot and a pretty decent flatish road (slight rise north to south) and quite good for an out and back. Also Dorking to Leatherhead along the cyclepath (its a big wide quiet one set back off the main road, not the usual green stripe) is 5 miles. Both fairly quiet at the right time.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I did 14 in 41mins 11 days ago and have a couple of times done 54-56 mins on my 20 mile commute. Oddly always on the SS.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    When i did the tour ride in london last year, just over 10miles i did 34mins. that was on my hybrid and i had a rucksack with my d lock and 3 litres of water. I could cut that under 30mins without the back pack and on my roadie.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I've done 10 miles on 27min 44secs but that is FULL SPEED AHEAD and on good conditions. Where I live, Cambridge, there are loads of testers in crappy bikes that go under 25.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    Tonight Mathew I will be Fabian Cancellara!
    All this talk of time trials and such meant I actually went for it a bit on the way home, in the drops and everything. There was no traffic at the junctions, no wind to speak off, and the 10.1km took bang on 20 minutes. It's not the fastest I've done it, but the fastest in a while and it's nice to see I've not lost all the (limited) speed over the winter.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    My ride back is 15 miles. That includes 7 sets of traffic lights in Taunton, 2 roundabouts and 300 metres climbing

My record is 50 minutes which is 18 mph
    This years target is 45 minutes

The main problem is the traffic, cars getting in the way. Maybe I should write a snide article for the Daily Mail about this menace.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,373
    No

But I accept the challenge
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    vorsprung wrote:
    My ride back is 15 miles. That includes 7 sets of traffic lights in Taunton, 2 roundabouts and 300 metres climbing

My record is 50 minutes which is 18 mph
    This years target is 45 minutes

The main problem is the traffic, cars getting in the way. Maybe I should write a snide article for the Daily Mail about this menace.

Yeah, I've done similar, in similar. :)
    Once by really sprinting out everything, and once by taking it reasonably easy, heading home at about 2am on empty roads.

Cars do hugely get in the way, and we wouldn't even need traffic lights if it wasn't for cars. They are a complete menace.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    The only reliable example I have is last year's Ride 24, where I did 116 miles (in 7 chunks over a 24 hours period) at an average speed of 21.3mph.

On anything approaching normal roads, with traffic, poor surfaces and crossings I would neither have the fitness nor the recklessness to try and beat 20mph.
  • afcbian
    afcbian Posts: 424
    edited February 2010
    I do a 40 mile route on country lanes near me and average 17-18 mph which works out at 33-34 mins for the 10, so 10 miles in 30 (ie 20mph) must be doable.
    It depends upon the weather and route I guess.
    I feel a challenge coming on :D
    I ride therefore I am