Can you clock 30min 10mile ride

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
This came out of a thread (hehe) in the Cake Stop.

30mile 10mile ride. It got me wondering, Can I do this. I'm going to find out. Until I do, I have to ask:

Can you?

If so what time have you clocked?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    can you do a 20 minute 10 is more of a challenge
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    A 30min '10' is kind of a first goal for testers. Yes, I have, a long time ago. The last TT I did was when I was 17... may do some more soon
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Oddly enough - this is now my ultimate target for my ride to work. (or from... or both!)

It's now 10 miles (just over) and I figure if I was capable of doing 14 in 45 mins (with repeated stops for traffic lights and bridle gates) then I might well be capable of 10 miles in 30 minutes.

It's going to take some doing as I am woefully unfit at the moment, but I have a target now.

The 14 miles in 45 minutes was my ultimate when I started the old commute run. My first attempt was 1hr 15 mins :shock: My first target was sub 1hr, then 55 mins, then 50...

I think that 10 miles in 30 mins is doable.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • DonDaddyD
    Oh OK then...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jonginge
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Oh OK then...
    Gotta remember that, in the main, TT courses are designed with no traffic lights and any turns are left-handers...
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I've done a 10 mile TT in sub-30mins on a mountain bike, so I'd hope so :)
  • DonDaddyD
    Oddly enough - this is now my ultimate target for my ride to work. (or from... or both!)

AND
    JonGinge wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Oh OK then...
    Gotta remember that, in the main, TT courses are designed with no traffic lights and any turns are left-handers...

Yeah, it takes me 38 - 42mins from Wimbledon to Chancery Lane commute. This largely because of the traffic lights and traffic on my commute. There are some pauses, waits and go slows that cannot be overcome.
    Food Chain number = 4

• My record for my 12.5 mile commute is 34:24. So, yes. :D
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    I can do 10.65 in about 35 mins. I wonder if i could get a clear of traffic route if i could do 10 in 30 mins.

Unfortunately the beginning of that route takes me around a busy roundabout with tailbacks (so have to filter), then a school and 2 sets of lights. From there i can fly for 6 miles before having to dismount to cross a footbridge, passing a school and a few busy junctions.

It is on my goal list, will definatly have to find a route to give it a go soon...
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I rode a few "10s" last summer. My best was 28m 40s, which is an average of 20.9mph.

It was on a closed 1.5km circuit near my house. I don't know what the course record is, but Matt Cronshaw (local Rapha Condor cyclist who's from Carnforth) managed a 23:03 on it last summer, which is just over 26mph.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • jonginge
    Obviously, most TT courses are circuits rather than point-to-point...
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    This summer I did 31 mins on my hybrid with a rucksack full of lunch/clothes. I'll be gunning it this summer to break 30.

This is on country lanes though, so no problem like traffic lights to worry about.

Average speed needs to be 20mph. That'll be a good focus for the pain barrier :)
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • I have done a few times in the flatlands of Cambridge. My goal is to do this on the fixie.
    Specialized Single Cross: FCN +4 IMAGE

Trek Madone 5.2: FCN +3 IMAGE
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    My commuting average speed is nowhere near 20mph, more like 13 if I'm lucky, what with hills, traffic lights, slow moving traffic etc. On a completely flat traffic free course I'm sure I could do it, but not in a commuting situation.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    Last summer I did what I thought was one of the local cycling clubs 10 mile TT courses, but I'm not sure I had the start/end/turn-around points right I still did 10 miles, and did it in just under 30 minutes (29:something)
    I was happy, though it's a bit of a hilly course (up and down) and I think it ends lower than it starts. You can't find 10 miles of flat road around here, even if none of the lumps are all that hilly
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I'd like to think so, can hold 20mph most days but I guess to be fair, you'd need to do a circuit, 5 miles out, 5 miles back to take into account weather & terrain, it'd be a doddle to hold 21-25mph with a good wind on my back.
  • jonginge
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    This came out of a thread (hehe) in the Cake Stop.

30mile 10mile ride. It got me wondering, Can I do this. I'm going to find out. Until I do, I have to ask:

Can you?

If so what time have you clocked?
    You could give a lap and a half of RP a go. That's about 10miles and is probably in the 'sporting' course range. Kingston wheelers use this 10m TT course: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sourc ... 1&t=h&z=14
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    JonGinge wrote:
    You could give a lap and a half of RP a go. That's about 10miles and is probably in the 'sporting' course range.

Rather hilly for a TT though isn't it?
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    edited February 2010
    My commute last year was just about bang on 10 miles. A usual time was 20:30ish. My best was around 18:20.

EDIT: a metric 10 that is. :oops:
  • Roastie wrote:
    My commute last year was just about bang on 10 miles. A usual time was 20:30ish. My best was around 18:20.

wtf was that on - some rocket assisted number or all downhill?
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    You could give a lap and a half of RP a go. That's about 10miles and is probably in the 'sporting' course range.

Rather hilly for a TT though isn't it?

It has drags rather than "hills". The drags are more energy-sappying, IMO, than Sawyer's Hill. I think the KW course mentioned by JG above is harder. It's lumpy rather than hilly, but there are a couple of drags and more exposed than RP. It's been three years maybe since I rode it. :oops:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Roastie wrote:

wtf was that on - some rocket assisted number or all downhill?

Is this Roastie? :)

Hutchinson%201st%203.jpg
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    There was a London Dynamo tt round Richmond Park last year, think it was around 10.6 miles. Took me 27 minutes I think, was a bit disappointed to be honest (on a good day I can do 20 miles round RP in 52 minutes so thought I could do a "10" in around 25, sadly not). The course record is under 23 minutes!
  • bigmat
    My average commuting speed on the other hand hovers around 15 miles per hour, damn traffic!
  • Roastie
    20 isn't that fast, ...

Wait, hold on. I'm thinking metric. :oops:

Sorry!
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Well i'll can tell you right now there's no way i can keep a >20mph average round RP :(
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Roastie
    That said, at Uni my mate and I had a 14k training TT route - quite hilly that we used to race each other on as a handicap. The fastest we got for that was 24min.
  • Roastie wrote:
    20 isn't that fast, ...

Wait, hold on. I'm thinking metric. :oops:

Sorry!

Thank fudge for that! :lol:
  • cjcp
    MatHammond wrote:
    The course record is under 23 minutes!

Ridden, I think, by the man pictured above (although was he on a road bike with clip-ons rather than the pictured Nuclear Bomb?).

Mat - if I came within four minutes of that man, I'd be delighted!!!!! You're being rather hard on yourself. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • bigmat
    cjcp wrote:
    MatHammond wrote:
    The course record is under 23 minutes!

Ridden, I think, by the man pictured above (although was he on a road bike with clip-ons rather than the pictured Nuclear Bomb?).

Mat - if I came within four minutes of that man, I'd be delighted!!!!! You're being rather hard on yourself. :)

There was a prize for top 3 on a standard road bike, it was there for the taking! Cursed food poisoning the weekend before...

I think Hutch was on a TT bike but not sure as I missed that one.