Indeed. A Silly Commuter 10M TT thread, for example? :D

Something like that :wink:
    I ride therefore I am
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    In answer to your question yes.
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    no not a chance on my commute, dont any of you have hills to climb ??
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    andy83 wrote:

Yes 1500 ft ascent each way which also means descents as well, <10mph on the way up, >30mph on the way down :D

Simples!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    itboffin wrote:
    andy83 wrote:

Yes 1500 ft ascent each way which also means descents as well, <10mph on the way up, >30mph on the way down :D

Simples!

But if you are assuming 50% at 10mph and 50% at 30mph your average would be well below 20mph due to the fact 3/4 of your journey time would be at 10mph

In fact, assume a hyperthetical 10mile journey. To travel this at 20mph average you need to finish it in 30min. If you do the first half (5 miles) at 10mph it will take you 30minutes, leaving you 0 minutes left to finish the journey.

Think i've got that right... or maybe i should go back to bed.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    andy83 wrote:

Simples!

But if you are assuming 50% at 10mph and 50% at 30mph your average would be well below 20mph due to the fact 3/4 of your journey time would be at 10mph

In fact, assume a hypothetical 10mile journey. To travel this at 20mph average you need to finish it in 30min. If you do the first half (5 miles) at 10mph it will take you 30minutes, leaving you 0 minutes left to finish the journey.

Think i've got that right... or maybe i should go back to bed.

Unless ITB's route was, say, 10miles up and 10miles down, in which case the downhill leg 'qualifies' but is not terribly impressive - an entirely freewheeled TT?. Actually, where could you do an entirely gravity powered 10mile TT other than the Alps/Pyrenees/etc.?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    You just need a short sharp steep climb to start - say 1 mile (eg, for the Southern softies, something quick and painless like Ditchling Beacon) and the remaining 9 a nice easy run down with a good tail wind! Of course, the return trip would be rather slower......

Actually, my commute isn't entirely unlike that. I think it takes about 35 minutes to do the 9.5 miles but there are a few long gradual climbs on the way in (and 2 stiff ones) and the MTB isn't that fast.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Rolf F wrote:
    You just need a short sharp steep climb to start - say 1 mile (eg, for the Southern softies, something quick and painless like Ditchling Beacon) and the remaining 9 a nice easy run down with a good tail wind! Of course, the return trip would be rather slower......

Actually, my commute isn't entirely unlike that. I think it takes about 35 minutes to do the 9.5 miles but there are a few long gradual climbs on the way in (and 2 stiff ones) and the MTB isn't that fast.

Ditchling? Quick and painless? Very funny....
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    StuAff wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

I think that was the point

Remember it's grim up north
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Clever Pun wrote:
    StuAff wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

That it is.....living in a shoebox in the middle of the road etc :)
    Ditchling would be quite good downhill though (though there is another climb on the run into Brighton after it, there's some really good downhills in town).
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Somebody needs to come up with a 10 mile route and then we can have a commuting forum leaderboard, I vote Richmond Park for the Londoners (its not THAT hilly). Here's the official tt course:

http://www.cyclingtimetrials.co.uk/Link ... d&tabid=36

I reckon if you started and finished at Robin Hood gate it'd be more or less 10 miles exactly.

I might get down there on Saturday, running tomorrow and Sunday so due a day of "cross" training.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    MatHammond wrote:
    Somebody needs to come up with a 10 mile route and then we can have a commuting forum leaderboard, I vote Richmond Park for the Londoners (its not THAT hilly). Here's the official tt course:

I reckon if you started and finished at Robin Hood gate it'd be more or less 10 miles exactly.

I might get down there on Saturday, running tomorrow and Sunday so due a day of "cross" training.

Is that the same richmond park that has a 20mph speed limit?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    will3 wrote:
    MatHammond wrote:

Jesus, you must have had no fun in your childhood...

Have you ever got your bike over 33mph? What road did you do that on?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Clever Pun
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    MatHammond wrote:

in all fairness Richmond park has the 20mph limit on bicycles.. the general roads do not.

Cant be seen to be advocating breaking the law now can we?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • will3
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    MatHammond wrote:

Erm, well that'd be on a national speed limit road (y'know, outside london and everything)
    Why 33 anyway?

Just remembered a distant thread about the police stopping bikes for speeding in RP, that's all, wouldn't want anyone to get caught.

(AFAIK the speed limit applies to cycles in RP, but not necessarily outside it since the speedlimit is enforced by a bylaw, or something like that)
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    MatHammond wrote:

yes and no, in RP the 20mph limit does apply to bikes out of the park 30mph limits don't.

this said still is the 3 lap challange etc.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,373
    will3 wrote:
    MatHammond wrote:

My lungs have an 18mph limit

Any thoughts on an alternative for non londoners

I suggest that we use a recognised local club 'out and back' or circuit course.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Obviously I should have mentioned the challenge is to hold your speed at exactly 20mph for the full 10 miles. :roll:

Any better ideas for 10 miles of uninterrupted cycling with a relative lack of traffic through idyllic scenery in central London would be much appreciated...
  • DonDaddyD
    You are allowed to be 10% over the speed limit so 33mph in a 30mph zone, 77mph on the motorway etc. Or so I've been told. It could be argued 22mph in Richmond Park....

But, hang on a second.

On a public road, any public road, be that 30 - 40mph road, 20mph side roads and national speed limit roads those speed limits don't apply to bicycles?

Also, yes I am fully aware that Richmond Park is a 20mph zone, ALL of us know this. Kinda spoils the fun bringing it up, hence the comment.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • will3
    DonDaddyD wrote:

On a public road, any public road, be that 30 - 40mph road, 20mph side roads and national speed limit roads those speed limits don't apply to bicycles?

Yes, we ALL know this
  • DonDaddyD
    will3 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Yes, we ALL know this

I didn't hence the question mark at the end of the sentence, which I admit was poorly constructed.
    Food Chain number = 4

• will3
    PS, you're not allowed to be 10% over the speed limit, it's just they probably won't prosecute you for it.
    If you drive at speed limit + 10% all the time, you're forgetting that the reason they don't prosecute you for it is, AFAIK, that your speedo may be 10% out so it would be unreasonable to do so.
    Consequently, if your speedo happens to under-read, you will be actually doing speed limit + 10% + speedo error, which may put you into trouble.
  • will3
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Yes, we ALL know this

I didn't hence the question mark at the end of the sentence, which I admit was poorly constructed.

Similarly there may be people who are unaware that RP is different, which is why I brought it up - not to spoil anyone's fun, but just so's they don't get a nasty suprise.
  • DonDaddyD
    will3 wrote:
    PS, you're not allowed to be 10% over the speed limit, it's just they probably won't prosecute you for it.
    If you drive at speed limit + 10% all the time, you're forgetting that the reason they don't prosecute you for it is, AFAIK, that your speedo may be 10% out so it would be unreasonable to do so.
    Consequently, if your speedo happens to under-read, you will be actually doing speed limit + 10% + speedo error, which may put you into trouble.
    Dude.

Just dude.
    Food Chain number = 4

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Clever Pun wrote:
    StuAff wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

I did it in about 9 minutes on my MTB - it's nice :D. Seriously, something like that with nine miles of descent following should make a 30 minute 10 mile a doddle. 1 mile uphill in 9 minutes, 9 Miles downhill in 21 minutes - less than 27 mph.

P.S - it's true. It is grim oop north.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Problem is finding the road to do it on, not really an option in London, even in RP you get slowed by junctions and traffic. There are a couple of great roads near where I grew up that are good for this but not quite long enough. I've cycled them as part of longer rides but never timed a 10 miler specifically. If the wind is with you then on one of them you'd smash 30 minutes with ease - in fact I'm pretty confident I did on this ride, the whole moving average was over 20 and that includes a short sharp hill at the start and end as well as a rather fiddly lane at the end. Looking at the HR I wasn't exactly hammering either although I had to stop twice to let tractors and a combine pass. Problem with this part of the world is that you may get a great tailwind in one direction but as much of the ride is on flat marshland you're going to get a b1tch of a headwind at some point!
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    MatHammond wrote:
    Any better ideas for 10 miles of uninterrupted cycling with a relative lack of traffic through idyllic scenery in central London would be much appreciated...

Regents Park inner circle.... although you'd have to do about 15laps. Best you're gonna get in Central London
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • RP has lots of narrow interest groups most of whom don't much care for each other.

*devils advocate*

last year there was some TT's in the park, don't want to spoil it for others.

*devils advocate*

this said the 3 lap challenge hasn't as far as i'm aware though I expect it doesn't go down well in some places.
  • Clever Pun
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    You are allowed to be 10% over the speed limit so 33mph in a 30mph zone, 77mph on the motorway etc. Or so I've been told. It could be argued 22mph in Richmond Park....

FWIW you wont get stopped for doing 81-82 on a motorway... most of the time :wink:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5