Wiggins : Sky not "most hated"

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Try walking into a Sicilian town and slag of the boss of the Cosa Nostra in public. You won't last long :wink:
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    iainf72 wrote:
    Or is it because he who controls the spice, controls the universe.

Thank you Iain. There's not enough quasi-political economy sci-fi blather on this forum, not by half.

I keep a copies of 'Anathem' and the entire Foundation series* to hand whilst surfing for just this purpose

*apart from the last one, where he was clearly doolally,

Strava is not Zen.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Get hold of Martin Amis's review of Asimov's autobiography (volumes one and two...) - it's hilarious. It's in his "Visiting Mrs Nabokov" collection, I think.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Passing the buck to Ricco eh...wait until they meet in the mountains and Ricco lets rip.

I sincerely hope CVV gets a better placing then Wiggins in the Tour.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    hammerite wrote:
    I think Wiggo is a bit of a t0sser these days..................can't imagine another rider in the world, who could command/trouser a £1m-a-year contract for coming (a distant) 4th at the Tour.

So being paid well, and perhaps over the odds makes someone a t0sser? :lol:

OK so they have the slick PR, website etc..... surely in 2010 that's just being professional!

They release stuff about their training, and wind tunnel testing, it's nothing new so what, if it works! Who's to know what else they do that COULD be more secretive. After all the overall team boss is the guy who instructed that all the team kits for the track team be destroyed after the Olympics (allegedly) so the competition didn't find out what materials they were using.

I wonder if they'll release an "meet the team" infomercial :lol: like was shown by Team Columbia before virtually every race on Eurosport last year?

My view that Wiggo has become a bit of a t0sser of late is not necessarily directly related to him landing a high value contract, though they were just said in the same paragraph - I found him equally irritating when he was at Garmin. Although one does tend to coincide with the other.

I was as impressed as anyone else with his 4th place at the Tour last year, but his palmares since turning pro are not that of a prolific performer - a couple of short prologues and the Herald SunTour?! The argument is, of course, that until last year he was only 'playing at it' as a side hobby to his track ambitions. We'll see if he does have what it takes to get some big wins - I really hope he does.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    DaveyL wrote:
    Get hold of Martin Amis's review of Asimov's autobiography (volumes one and two...) - it's hilarious. It's in his "Visiting Mrs Nabokov" collection, I think.

Sounds good, I'll track it down!

Strava is not Zen.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    calvjones wrote:

Thank you Iain. There's not enough quasi-political economy sci-fi blather on this forum, not by half.

`800ml of packed spice'

:wink:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Passing the buck to Ricco eh...wait until they meet in the mountains and Ricco lets rip.

And subsequently gets busted for doping again!

Ultimately sometimes Wiggo is a bit of a twit, his comments about Garmin being Wigan Athletic, were at best not funny, and at worst terrifically disrespectful to his team mates, who played a large part in his fourth place (a placing which was built on a very strong TTT).
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,869
    Jez mon wrote:
    [ and at worst terrifically disrespectful to his team mates, who played a large part in his fourth place (a placing which was built on a very strong TTT).

well pointed out...that was a hell of a ride those guys did
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    I think Wiggo is a bit of a t0sser these days..................can't imagine another rider in the world, who could command/trouser a £1m-a-year contract for coming (a distant) 4th at the Tour. Hopefully, he'll benefit from unreserved support from Sky and better that result in the future, but it will be very tough given the standard of existing (and emerging) competition. It's a lof of money to pay a Top-10 stage racer?!

As for Sky's PR machine - don't see a problem with it. Personally, I find it a little dull and I'm sure it all has to get OKd by the PR guru before it gets posted etc.

Are Sky 'hated'? There's probably no love lost between Sky and Katusha/Garmin (for obvious reasons), but where's the problem with others? Bjarne Riis (who perhaps lost out most, with perhaps the exception of HTC Columbia) has been very laid back about it.

I thought Wiggo's barbed reference to a parasitic returning doper being a more important issue was a rather cheap shot (aimed squarely at Millar).

Wiggo can be quite funny at times, but I do get a little tired of seeing him get sooo much exposure. Let's see how quiet he goes after not getting podium this year.
  • DaveyL
    iainf72 wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

`800ml of packed spice'

We only need to bring in L. Ron Hubbard now and the swivel-eyed conspiracy theorists can really have a field day...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    There's a lot of pressure on Wiggo this year. If he doesn't podium at the Tour, he'll be considered a failiure. After all, he finished 4th with Wigan, so he has to do better with Man Utd. His words may come back to haunt him?!
  • iainf72 wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

`800ml of packed spice'

Can i grow this in pots on my patio? is it used in pasta sauces or does the winking indicate something sinister that needs to be smoked for full effect.

Theres just so much here i dont understand........ :?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    markwalker wrote:

Can i grow this in pots on my patio? is it used in pasta sauces or does the winking indicate something sinister that needs to be smoked for full effect.

Melange isn't on the WADA list, so it's probably ok in cycling.

Phew.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • I don't want to be one of those Tour contenders who sits at home until June then crawls out the woodwork

I'll hold you to that Wigola. I watch all the early season races and will be making sure you are there and racing hard, not soft pedalling. Let me see you put a win or two in the one week races.

In case you forgot you won nothing of note last year, only two minor ITTs and the Jayco.

A lot of the GC riders you think you can beat in the Tour had some SERIOUS wins and a bunch of ofther high placings before the Tour.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    I don't want to be one of those Tour contenders who sits at home until June then crawls out the woodwork

I'll hold you to that Wigola. I watch all the early season races and will be making sure you are there and racing hard, not soft pedalling. Let me see you put a win or two in the one week races.

In case you forgot you won nothing of note last year, only two minor ITTs and the Jayco.

A lot of the GC riders you think you can beat in the Tour had some SERIOUS wins and a bunch of ofther high placings before the Tour.

A few gold medals in the olympics count as serious wins.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • You're right but I was talking about Road obviously. Furthermore, I don't really care too much about who can go round in circles the fastest. But that is off topic so I wont talk more about it.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Kléber
    In fairness he rode Paris-Roubaix.
  • DaveyL
    I don't want to be one of those Tour contenders who sits at home until June then crawls out the woodwork

Wiggo must be bricking himself at the prospect of a Louis Vuitton handbagging should he fail to live up to expectations.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if he has a couple of man bags Davey.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Kléber wrote:

He rode (and finished) the Giro also. That's not exactly sitting around until June - is it?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited February 2010
    Kléber wrote:

Yes he rode it but no he didn't win it or top 10, or top 20. He was 25th over 6mins down. Which is a decent position but not noteworthy.

He was 45th in Crit Int and 71st in Giro. Not decent, not noteworthy.

He rode Paris Nice, didn't even finish. Poor.

108th MSR and 23rd G-W.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Pokerface wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

He rode (and finished) the Giro also. That's not exactly sitting around until June - is it?

Still it's not winning anything!!

TBF he rode well in the giro though and put in an impressive ride in P-R
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Pokerface wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

A real GC champion could podium in two out of three GTs in a year. See Contador and the other greats.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Some might argue that a cyclist can either choose to have a good GC placing in more than one Grand Tour or he can choose to ride clean! :wink:
  • Kléber
    Yes, Wiggins didn't win a lot last year but "he came out of the woodwork" early on, having a busy campaign in Flanders for example. But Contador was busy in Paris-Nice, Andy Schleck took Liege and even Armstrong had a go until he hit the deck.

I suspect Wiggins will take more wins in 2010, certainly the Giro prologue is within reach.
  • Kléber wrote:
    Yes, Wiggins didn't win a lot last year but "he came out of the woodwork" early on, having a busy campaign in Flanders for example. But Contador was busy in Paris-Nice, Andy Schleck took Liege and even Armstrong had a go until he hit the deck.

I suspect Wiggins will take more wins in 2010, certainly the Giro prologue is within reach.

He best had, or FrenchFighter will be waiting for him and then... erm... ummm.... Remind me why he's responsible to you for his performances again?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • You guys make me laugh. I put my opinion across in an interesting way with passion; I'm not one to be placid and verbally boring.

Kleber, there is no point trying to justify the unjustifiable. Wiggins performance was poor relative to the people he thinks he can beat come July. In addition, the comment he made that I quoted is irresponsible of him.

When he goes against the big guns and wins then I will think more of him. The only time he did that last year, Contador licked him in the Paris NIce ITT then he Wigola withdrew.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Jez mon wrote:
    [ and at worst terrifically disrespectful to his team mates, who played a large part in his fourth place (a placing which was built on a very strong TTT).

well pointed out...that was a hell of a ride those guys did

Good point, that was a hell of a ride...
  • DaveyL
    When he goes against the big guns and wins then I will think more of him. The only time he did that last year, Contador licked him in the Paris NIce ITT then he Wigola withdrew.

Yes, and that was all above board, wasn't it? 62 kg climbers routinely hammer Olympic pursuit champions over a flat 8 km prologue....

As for pulling out?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/ma ... ce-cycling
    Le Blaireau (1)