Oh my god i'm in love!!!

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    StuAff wrote:
    Epic have Maxima (2010) price as £3k. £4500 wouldn't buy a really decent spec though...

Depends on how you look at it - it wouldn't be a balanced spec but, wheels aside, I wonder how much difference the underspec would make once you're sat on the bike riding it.

Of course, the real problem would be all the "Is that Athena I see on that Maxima. Tut tut....."
    Faster than a tent.......
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,373
    *ahem*

From a thread not so far away......
    itboffin wrote:
    ITB

...but I reckon what you really want now is an 'unjustifiable' bike......You now want a bike which you can fall in love with, a bike only be taken out for Sunday best, in exactly the right climatic conditions, never in rain or direct sunlight.....

You know what you're right but my Trek with the modifications is already that bike, it's fast enough for to keep up with even the best carbon sportifs - in short I've not out classed my bike just yet, when I do I'll consider carbon.

Picture that rocky movie were Sly was running in the snow and lifting logs whilst old what's his name, tall bloke had all the kit and drugs, see what I mean?

:lol:

That's what your heads saying........

Well Rocky, outclassed the Trek yet?

You were Rocky in the analogy?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Sssh don't give the game away, besides I have two bike free spare bedrooms ;-)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Rolf F wrote:
    StuAff wrote:
    Epic have Maxima (2010) price as £3k. £4500 wouldn't buy a really decent spec though...

Depends on how you look at it - it wouldn't be a balanced spec but, wheels aside, I wonder how much difference the underspec would make once you're sat on the bike riding it.

Of course, the real problem would be all the "Is that Athena I see on that Maxima. Tut tut....."

True. I know Athena's barely heavier and works much the same as Chorus/Record, but I'd feel a bit cheap if I specced it on a Maxima....
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Think about it, the ear ache you'll get from your missus will be far more painful than £4500 on a bike...in other words, pain for the rest of our natural life and beyond :shock: :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Have you bought it yet ITB?

No, ok well maybe next week.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    NGale wrote:
    Think about it, the ear ache you'll get from your missus will be far more painful than £4500 on a bike...in other words, pain for the rest of our natural life and beyond :shock: :lol:

She simple said "Buy it"

You've not met Mrs itboffin she's a very patient and understanding lady :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • NGale
    itboffin wrote:
    NGale wrote:

She simple said "Buy it"

methinks she is lulling you into a false sense of security, you may not pay now but you will pay later :lol:
  • itboffin wrote:
    NGale wrote:

She simple said "Buy it"

WAKE UP... ITB YOU ARE BACK IN THE ROOM.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Umm... not many of the aero elemets on the Felt (the big selling point, from the review) are present on the Viner.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    I don't like it.
    I'd get a Cervelo over the Felt
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • CdrJake
    CdrJake Posts: 296
    itboffin wrote:
    NGale wrote:

She simple said "Buy it"

I have come to the conclusion that if your wife is Cornish and has a thing about men in uniform then you are married to my ex and she is simply playing for time and will make you pay in time. :lol:
    twitter: @JakeM1969
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    FYI ... Epic have dropped Viner regarding QA issues. Check the website.

It would be good to know what is going on though.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • stuaff
    gabriel959 wrote:

+1. As a proud owner, it's somewhat disturbing to hear that a previously enthusiastic dealer seems to have dropped them like the proverbial sack of spuds (I was in touch with Chris at Epic in December regarding Viner-branded kit and he certainly didn't mention anything about this...).
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • **cough** Pinarello Dogma **cough**

GB Cycles in Croydon had one of those sexy beasts in the window as I came past yesterday whilst out for lunch, the only problem was the "SOLD" label that was hung on the bars along with said future owners name and mobile number......bit of a fail there!

By the time I went back to work it had disappeared and I can only assume Gary ****** was in the shop, sipping champagne with the manager whilst getting his bike fitted ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    StuAff wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:

+1. As a proud owner, it's somewhat disturbing to hear that a previously enthusiastic dealer seems to have dropped them like the proverbial sack of spuds (I was in touch with Chris at Epic in December regarding Viner-branded kit and he certainly didn't mention anything about this...).

Couldn't find anything on their website. I'm being dim, aren't I?

I would certainly ask Epic to explain.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • stuaff
    cjcp wrote:
    StuAff wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:

Couldn't find anything on their website. I'm being dim, aren't I?

I would certainly ask Epic to explain.

Their Viner page is still live, they're selling two bikes on eBay (including an ex-demo Magnifica with Ultegra- no good for me even if I didn't have one already, it's XL).... you're right though, you'd think they'd have the decency to be a bit more upfront about their actions. It was odd- they put all the 2010 models up, pulled most of the info a few weeks later, instead you saw the page that's still up, then they pull the brand. All in the course of a few weeks. I've PM'd Peter Cole (vinerbikesuk), the UK importer, to see if he'll give a response to all the gossip- that's what it is, at this stage- about build quality etc. I find it hard to believe that build quality issues are anything but a (very) recent issue, and something that both the factory and UK reps aren't going to address ASAP.
  • stuaff
    Update: Peter Cole got back to me, and has posted a reply in Road Buying Advice... Epic's decision was not QA related. Peter quotes Epic themselves:

"We have been monitoring the number of enquiries, sales volume, margin retention, conversion rate and also sales time period for all of our brands and although we have a huge emotional attachment for the Viner products (as most of us use them!) they are under-performing for the investment in time, money and space they currently absorb"

More fool them, I say. Sounds like they'd rather shift ready-made kit than anything a little more bespoke, and more's the pity when LiT and others have been giving both Viner and Epic such positive feedback. If my LBS Velocity (who have a much, much smaller store) can shift Viner products as well as they do (and I see quite a few happy owners round Pompey), Epic can do the same- and I've been under the impression that they did.
    Funnily enough, here's my latest eBay purchase. Kind of ironic in the circumstances:
    !BlDeT3Q!mk~$(KGrHqEH-C8Es9NdLRN3BL,GBfj1-w~~_12.JPG

Peter's post in this thread: http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12678796
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,373
    1265389984074-1h5g26m42xf49-850-65.jpg

Get the credit card back out!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • stuaff
    1265389984074-1h5g26m42xf49-850-65.jpg

Get the credit card back out!

While I prefer the looks of the C50, that is rather nice too....
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    itboffin wrote:
    Someone quickly tell me why it would be bad to spend £4500 on this, because I can't think why :shock:

Felts are terrible right, but oh oh arhhhh!
    It is made of plastic.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    If you would really spend that much on a bike ...

More money than sense comes to mind :wink:
    FCN 3/5/9
  • NGale

remember this is ITB we're talking about :wink::lol:
  • stuaff

Depends which bike.....
    Plenty have spent at least that much on here!
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    ATGNI comes to mind.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    itboffin wrote:
    Someone quickly tell me why it would be bad to spend £4500 on this, because I can't think why :shock:

It has no pedals.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    This thread is making me want to buy another bike.

I could get a mid point between my commuter and the Kharma. Or I could get a bike slightly better than the Kharma, like a Wilier Izoard. What would I do with the Kharma?

ITB, have you bought a carbon fibre bike yet. The C-super powers won't wait much longer. :twisted:

Do it! It's about time.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I am also after another bike. I explained the formula to my wife at the weekend (optimal number of bikes = current umber of bikes + 1), and she didn't seem to understand until I drew a parallel with shoes.

Anyway, I'm thinking of a FG/SS for the summer commuting. The C2W scheme should start up again in a few months. I'd quite like a Cooper, mainly for the brand, but I'm sure I can get much better value for money buying something else.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Your bike is pretty
    But this is prettier....

orca-di2.jpg[/img]
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I've really gone off the aesthetics of carbon bikes. If I could have one made of tubes so thin you could drink coke through them, I would (NB none of these lattice or Moulton-style monstrosities, thank you).