A fantastic way to start time trialling..........

BeaconRuth
BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
edited August 2010 in Amateur race
For all those of you who are dying to have a go at a time trial - and for those of you who are old hands - how about entering the best time trial in the Midlands this year?

The Beacon Little Mountain TT 2010
2nd May 2010
Great Witley, Worcestershire

A fantastic 39-ish miles of challenging terrain using a tried and tested format by a club which has been running this event for 62 years. You don't need a fancy TT bike because lots of people ride this on road bikes and there are prizes for the fastest on road bikes. A really exciting event with a superb atmosphere, welcoming some of the best TT-ers in the country along with plenty of complete novices, vets and women. There's something here for everyone and not a dual carriageway in sight. Believe me, there is nothing better than hurtling downhill past the finish timekeeper at the end of this mega-challenge - what a sense of achievement!

Here's what one of last year's riders had to say about it:

“Just a quick email to say a massive thank you for a superb event on Sunday. It was my first attempt and........... I really enjoyed the experience. I would like to offer my sincere gratitude to you and your army of helpers who made the event possible, I can see now why everybody holds it in such great esteem. I look forward to hopefully many more attempts as I am now a lifelong member of the Little Mountain TT..........”

All details, entry forms, course maps, explanations of the awards, event history and much much more here: http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/open_races/lmtt/index.html

I'll look forward to getting your entry.

Ruth

Comments

• A shameless plug... I'll be there anyway :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    AAAAARGH!

Love the look of this but I'm on nights :(
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I am soooo tempted to do this Ruth, only problem is that I am organising our sportive the day after.

mmmmmmmm two very early starts :?
  • BeaconRuth
    Sheptastic - Completely shameless. In fact, very proud of our outstanding event. It will be great to see you there.

NapD - What time does your night shift finish? - I could give you a late start to give you time to get there. Last man off at 10am if it's a full field. I'm hoping to seeing you go 12mins faster than my best time. :wink:

Steve - Sounds like a clear case for just re-setting your body-clock for a few days. If you'll be sitting around being an organiser on the 3rd then you'd better get some exercise in on the 2nd. :D

Ruth
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Might be tempted by this myself although the word mountain is putting me off at the moment (even if it is little!) :lol: Will see how my comeback is going nearer the time.
  • Sheptastic
    Sheptastic Posts: 298
    edited February 2010
    Pross wrote:
    Might be tempted by this myself although the word mountain is putting me off at the moment (even if it is little!) :lol: Will see how my comeback is going nearer the time.

The mountain bit is 2 17% climbs but its OK the 1st is only 3.12 mins long.... if you're Stuart Dangerfield..

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... 6058305871

But dont let me put you off...
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    Steve - Sounds like a clear case for just re-setting your body-clock for a few days. If you'll be sitting around being an organiser on the 3rd then you'd better get some exercise in on the 2nd. :D

Ruth

OK, you have convinced me :lol: not too early a start time please :wink:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Sheptastic wrote:
    Pross wrote:

The mountain bit is 2 17% climbs but its OK the 1st is only 3.12 mins long.... if you're Stuart Dangerfield..

Ouch - might need to get down to my target weight first! :shock:
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    That's pretty much the WORST way to get into time-trialling! While I'm sure it's a great event, 40 miles over "challenging" terrain is enough to put any beginner (or even some seasoned vets" off TTing forever!

A nice, fast, easy 10 miler is the best way to get introduced to the discipline, not some torturous mountain climbing exercise!

So where do I sign up? :)
  • BeaconRuth
    Pross - it's the LITTLE Mountain TT, for big softies. I'm repeatedly reminded by those of mature years that this event used to be a proper challenge and involved 62 miles and an awful lot more hills. They really were a lot tougher in the old days..........

Steve - Great! I certainly try to accommodate those who are travelling a long way with a later start.

Pokerface - Ah ha, but we're in a brave new world here, where sportives costing £40 are sold out in days, everyone thinks that 100 miles of tortuous hills is good fun (eg. Fred Whitton) and tough, hilly time trials are the way to start time trialling. Seriously - a quarter of the entries were from complete novices to time trialling a couple of years ago! That's not to say we don't have the top riders, either. Stuart Dangerfield, Gethin Butler and Matt Bottrill have all won it in the last decade. I reckon people just know a good event when they see one. :wink:

Ruth
  • If this is going to become a forumite filled event i'm going to have to find a way out of the rowing event on the same day... stupid commitments..
  • Sheptastic wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Just realised my Avatar is me coming to the top of this hill, it cant be that bad...i'm still concious...
  • Richie G
    Richie G Posts: 283
    Looking forward to this one already! Best event of the year. Hopefully i'll finally get some of my club mates to enter this year! :D

Rich
  • With all this shameless marketing, I thought I'd better pull my finger out. My entry is in the post.....

So what's the course record for the ladies.... set by who and when?
  • Anonymous
    bexslack wrote:
    With all this shameless marketing, I thought I'd better pull my finger out. My entry is in the post.....

So what's the course record for the ladies.... set by who and when?

46.34 Lynda Carter, 1975.

I'm going to try and get leave, otherwise there's no chance of me doing it. Cheers for the offer of help though Ruth!
  • NapoleonD wrote:

Blimey she must have been on a motorbike.... (or more realistically have ridden a much shorter course!)

Just done a bit of digging in the archives and see that in its current form, the record appears to rest with the OP!

Beacon Ruth you are rumbled! 1hr 53mins 51 secs in 1997.
  • Anonymous
    bexslack wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Blimey she must have been on a motorbike.... (or more realistically have ridden a much shorter course!)

Just done a bit of digging in the archives and see that in its current form, the record appears to rest with the OP!

Beacon Ruth you are rumbled! 1hr 53mins 51 secs in 1997.

No...

I think you may need to google Lynda Carter 1975...
  • And there was me thinking Wonder Woman had an eponymous friend in the TT world.

Apologies - I'm just a simple housewife from Wandsworth.
  • BeaconRuth
    Richie G wrote:
    Looking forward to this one already! Best event of the year. Hopefully i'll finally get some of my club mates to enter this year! :D

Rich
    The Hinckley lads? Pah! Not hard enough, Rich........... :wink:
    NapD wrote:
    I'm going to try and get leave, otherwise there's no chance of me doing it. Cheers for the offer of help though Ruth!
    Excellent - it will be an honour to meet you NapD. You can also explain to me in person what on Earth Wonderwoman has got to do with the LMTT!

Bex - it was 2007 actually, but what's a decade here and there?! :D

Ruth
  • Anonymous
    Leave provisionally booked. How do I enter?

Edit - I actually looked now...
  • Anonymous
    IT'S IN THE POST!
  • BeaconRuth
    NapoleonD wrote:
    IT'S IN THE POST!
    Woo Hoo! 8)

Ruth
  • simon t
    simon t Posts: 132
    i've just checked the CTT handbook and it doesnt clash with anything else that weekend.

Trouble is i still havnt got over last years dursley hardrider yet and i've got a feeling this may be the same but longer!
  • BeaconRuth
    simon t wrote:
    i've just checked the CTT handbook and it doesnt clash with anything else that weekend.

Trouble is i still havnt got over last years dursley hardrider yet and i've got a feeling this may be the same but longer!
    Simon - I'm sure this is longer and harder than the Dursley Hardriders, but it's an absolute classic that you won't regret riding.......... at least, you won't regret it once it's over! Go on - you know you want to!

Ruth
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    BeaconRuth,you are shamelessly bumping this post :lol::lol::lol:
    so many cols,so little time!
  • BeaconRuth
    How can I be bumping if I'm replying to someone else's post? Not guilty Your Honour!

Ruth
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    Ruth

Apologies now because I won't be available for marshalling this year. :(

The reason why will be obvious when my entry form hits your doormat in a few days time :)
    Please don't laugh too loudly at my 50 time :?

With no apologies for bumping this thread
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • BeaconRuth
    Right, there's an update of entries received on our website here: http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/open_races/ ... tries.html .

Entries are going extremely well for this stage. Forum members who are in are:

Sbezza
    NapD
    Bexslack
    RichK
    Richie G

I've got an entry from John Woodburn, the time trialling legend whose London-Bath-and-Back record Shavedlegs is trying to beat in his "240 miles in 9 hours" thread over in the Training section. If he can ride this event at age 73, anyone can!

Any more for any more?

Ruth
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I would be tempted to set the slowest time of day... but it is a fair old way from N Staffs .. not having a car of mine own and all that
  • BeaconRuth
    JGSI wrote:
    I would be tempted to set the slowest time of day... but it is a fair old way from N Staffs .. not having a car of mine own and all that
    I'd be very surprised if you were the slowest, but even if you were you could take heart from a chap called Stuart McKie. He was the slowest in the event in 2008 but he came back in 2009, knocked 30mins off his time from the year before and romped away with the Best Improvement prize. So set a marker down and then you've got something to work on for the year after!

Ruth