Rivington and Nab rides.

123457»

Comments

• Can I borrow the sunset piccy for my desktop pleaseeeee?
    Caz xx
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Can I borrow the sunset piccy for my desktop pleaseeeee?
    Caz xx

Haha :lol:

Yes you may :) .
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i was up rivi today didn't see you.. was around 250pm though when we got up there..

went up to the pigeon tower, then down the rocky lane then took the hike a bike up through the gully (2ft of snow in gully) then rode the winterhill to belmont decent, well half of it... was killer muddy, and very wet.. turned round back up and down to the dog kennels, and finished off in the dark a mini night ride,, did the rocky road decent(aka ice creame run) in the dark, with only a head torch on .... nearly killed my self going to fast all good fun..
    very muddy and very happy when i got back to the van.....

i'm gonna have to go back to llandegla,, only been once and did'nt like it,, was very disapointed with it.. i will have to give it a second chance...

thinking of leequarry tomoz,,,,
  • Whytepeak
    delcol

We would have been at The nab at 2pm, though we were back around the rivi area in late afternoon, did the ice creame run too - love that :)

Wish I could do LQ too, but I've far too much work to do :roll: . Ah well.
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • delcol
    made it up rivi again on sat,.. heres a quick vid i made of the decent off winterhill, and the dog kennel decent.. this offers an alternate view of the famous decent, and shows how fast it can be and how much fun you can have, also how pitted it has become.
    it was riding really nice slippy in places, it was quite windy up there and bloooooody cold...
    http://www.vimeo.com/9449332
  • Whytepeak
    delcol

Nice vid, comprehensive :lol:

Those tracks, especially the one from the mast to the kennels, look pretty dry, were they frozen?
  • NDawn
    NDawn Posts: 238
    If it's not too bad on Wednesday I might take my first trip out to Rivington, I'll be going by train so I assume Adlington then onto some routes from there?
  • Whytepeak
    NDawn

I would get off at Blackrod station, the one before Adlington, though it is arguably further away, it is much easier to get to rivington from there, (just up the B5238, then along Lever Park Avenue.

That will take you to the lower barn, where you can start a ride up rivi....
  • delcol
    nd yeah adlington is probably the closest train station or blackrod.. don't know were your coming from...

wp it was frozen in places and wet and slippey in others there is still snow on the ground in the shaded areas,,,
    it was riding pretty good only a few places it was slippy. hence the my bro hitting the deck,,, front wheel washed out..

i just wanted to show it from another alternerate view, insted of helmet cam footage all the time.. i wanted to try and show the speed. the bumps the camber the drops/jumps.. it kind of worked, i have learned a few leasons so next time should be an improvment..

thanks for your kind comments,, makes lying there on the wet cold floor loosing all feeling in my right hand seem worth it,,, that wind was blooody cold...
  • delcol
    nd yeah adlington is probably the closest train station or blackrod.. don't know were your coming from...

wp it was frozen in places and wet and slippey in others there is still snow on the ground in the shaded areas,,,
    it was riding pretty good only a few places it was slippy. hence the my bro hitting the deck,,, front wheel washed out..

i just wanted to show it from another alternerate view, insted of helmet cam footage all the time.. i wanted to try and show the speed. the bumps the camber the drops/jumps.. it kind of worked, i have learned a few leasons so next time should be an improvment..

thanks for your kind comments,, makes lying there on the wet cold floor loosing all feeling in my right hand seem worth it,,, that wind was blooody cold...
  • Whytepeak
    Awesome photo fella!
  • Whytepeak
    delcol wrote:

:lol:

No problem.

bigbenj_08

Not bad eh? That was such a brilliant day riding.
  • Yeah yeah... rub it in...
  • Whytepeak
    In fact, that may well have been the best day of riding ever, we went to the top of rivington pike, the views were to die for, infact it was quite a bloody affair, spears, swords and allsorts :shock: .

Then we went along the commonwealth XC course for a bit - snake bite alley, though proper tyres prevented any punctures... then down the ice cream run and the fantastic decent there in... (which was declared by one rider amongst our group as 'the best natural decent ever...'.

Then... we went to the brilliant man made trails at healey nab, ooh, and then...

It was quite a day :wink:
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Whytepeak wrote:
    Then we went along the commonwealth XC course for a bit - snake bite alley,

Has anyone got a map of the Commonwealth XC course I have asked loads of people for the route and everyone gives me a different route. One time at the Lower Barn 3 people who were riding together all argued that there route was the genuine one. We left them to it they are probably still arguing.

I was in the States when the Commonwealth Games was on so never got to see any of the racing.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Whytepeak
    stubs
    I only managed to catch a bit of it back in 2002, but I remember the racers on the wide path, belmont road / george's lane, which was referred to as 'snake bite alley', though thats where my knowledge ends I'm afraid.
  • stubs
    Whytepeak wrote:
    stubs
    I only managed to catch a bit of it back in 2002, but I remember the racers on the wide path, belmont road / george's lane, which was referred to as 'snake bite alley', though thats where my knowledge ends I'm afraid.

Thats the only bit everyone seems to agree on :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • delcol
    wp... were abouts was that second photo taken.. the one of someone riding the drop.. were abouts is that...

stubs,,
    you can't ride the full xc commonwelth course as some of it went through private land, which was open to the athletes for that weekend.....
    i have posted a link on here a few times with the closest route you can take to the xc course they did....
  • Whytepeak
    delcol

The first and second photo were taken from the same spot - just looking in opposite directions.

The second shot was taken in a fenced off area, overlooked by the pigeon house, and I know we shouldn't have been there, but they left the bloomin' gate open, and there was that tasty drop... :oops: :wink:
  • NDawn
    Well it didn't happen today :( Next opportunity Sunday or Next Thursday, got my Ordnance Survey map in the basket ready :)
  • stubs
    delcol wrote:
    wp... were abouts was that second photo taken.. the one of someone riding the drop.. were abouts is that...

stubs,,
    you can't ride the full xc commonwelth course as some of it went through private land, which was open to the athletes for that weekend.....
    i have posted a link on here a few times with the closest route you can take to the xc course they did....

Ahh that explains why everyone argues about the course. Cheers for the link I have probably ridden most of the trails at Rivi but its always nice to see if there is a bit Ive missed. We went down a bit a couple of weeks ago that we had never been down before not sure if it was legal but we definitely werent the first going by the tyre tracks :)
  • delcol
    is it that small qarry type thing... wp..

ndawn if you gonna go up rivi on sunday be sure to go early as in 8am or brfore as it gets stupidly busy up there, berghaus brigade and toooocers on motorbikes...
  • Whytepeak
    delcol wrote:
    is it that small qarry type thing... wp..

Yeah thats the place.
  • Hi guys and girls, I will probably see you around when I have some fitness and a bit of skill. Just getting into MTB and have a Spec Rockhopper (2009) and wondered if the bike was upto the trails shown on the videos I have seen in this thread, I wouldn't be going as fast re the jumps. I don't even know if I am meant to do jumps on mine.
  • stubs
    You shouldnt have any problems. You dont need an expensive bike to go mountain biking your bike is perfectly adequate for cross country but I wouldnt do any jumps its not meant for that
  • NDawn
    Heading up there this saturday, is the standard one? Looks like a good day out although may give healey nab a miss :) depends how I feel.
    I'll just have an OS map so those routes are fairly easily followed.

Any more advive/routes that would be worth considering? Cheers,
  • Whytepeak
    NDawn

Theres a good loop to be had, to the north of Yarrow Reservoir and then to Moor Rd and the Nab, then back round to Rivington. I may had a do at that this weekend if I can get the bike in order.

Hopefully we can get some more rides agreed to now the weather is back on track.