Snow rides! Pics and Vids

cat_with_no_tail
cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
edited January 2010 in MTB general
I noticed that there have been a few different snow ride pics and vids popping up in different threads lately. As we had our first snow here today, I decided I'd put up a thread so we can all share our lovely snowy adventures without cluttering up other threads.

So, here's my effort.

My cheap camera has still not arrived from HK, so I fashined a headtube mount for my mobile phone using 2 tie wraps and a piece of sponge :lol: (no, really, I did).

This was the result:

http://www.vimeo.com/8553927

Also took a couple of pics:

04012010.jpg

04012010001.jpg

04012010002.jpg

04012010004.jpg

04012010006.jpg

Comments

• CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Can't beat leaving fresh trails in new snow.
  • this was taken on New Years Day and it wasnt as early as the 1st photo looks. Linked home via the same bit by the wood today and chuff its got a fair bit deeper. Shame its dayshift tomorrow :( as its meant to be getting worse tonight 8)

4232815689_acf1151a1e.jpg

4232819173_18383a7c06.jpg

4232818089_9fe0243e1b.jpg
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • Channel 4 news tonight at 7 o clock.
  • Went for a ride up to the cat and fiddle pub on Macclesfield to Buxton road:

P1000299.jpg
    P1000300.jpg
    P1000301.jpg
    P1000304.jpg
  • Finally managed to resize mine and fiddle with them. Really like the fifth one, i was riding through that type of stuff for almost an hour. It was quite easy going cos there are no hills round me but was one of the most enjoyable rides i have had recently, that might just be cos i have failed to get out though.

DSCF0230b.jpg

DSCF0233b.jpg

DSCF0234b.jpg

DSCF0236b.jpg

DSCF0240b.jpg

DSCF0242b.jpg
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Channel 4 news tonight at 7 o clock.
    Eh?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • 2n6c8ip.jpg

Theres been snow here in East lothian for over two weeks now and , great fun but looking forward to it melting and getting up the pentlands . Still my dogs loves it and its hard going till you manage to get a path cut out after a few loops.
  • bails87 wrote:
    Eh?

Was interviewd by someone for Channel 4 news me and my mates at the cat and fiddle earlier :shock:
  • http://vimeo.com/8552486

I used a Muvi cam bolted onto my lid and a Canon G9

Lots of fun in the snow :D
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Crispy New Years Day ride over Kirkby Malzeard Moor. It got so silly on the western side that I returned via Pateley Bridge (pictured) along the roads but it was still good fun!

Also notice my hopeless attempts to cycle in a straight line..... :oops:

P1070076.jpg
    P1070080.jpg
    P1070079-1.jpg
    P1070081.jpg
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Snow here has been fantastic, great fun to ride in, beats being at school too...

img0483.jpg
    Noble steed...

img0481tp.jpg
    A troubled sky

img0485nn.jpg
    You may have to tilt you head for this one :roll:
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • bails87 wrote:
    Eh?

Was interviewd by someone for Channel 4 news me and my mates at the cat and fiddle earlier :shock:

Ha ha nice. I will watch that!

I'm not usually a snow rider at all, but all this thick snow is tempting me to get out in it.
    Kinda hope my work is closed tomorrow or something...

All the pics in here are great and make you envious your not out there.
    Do it.
  • Had a play at Whinlatter last week,

2dwfcyu.jpg

DSC00361.JPG

Then we finished work early today

PICT0745.JPG
  • grrr! im snowed in at my parents and my bikes at home!
  • Mancunianfightingcat you look like you're shltting your pants in that first pic there :lol:
  • Manc cat that last picture reminded us of our day yesterday. We built a ten man sledge. Olympics is the next step for us. We were gutted none of us actually owned a snowboard.

21059_234355359428_501284428_294211.jpg
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • Mancunianfightingcat you look like you're shltting your pants in that first pic there :lol:

Ha ha!

I was preparing for the worst, I'd never seen the drop before, even with no snow, so I really didn't know what was under the snow or how deep it was. As it happened, it was a fair drop but with a safe landing! :shock:
  • Raymie
    Raymie Posts: 25
    a couple of weeks back for me, snow is all gone now

006-24.jpg
    011-5.jpg
    012-5.jpg
    013-6.jpg
    015-2.jpg
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Terrific stuff; I'm sick with envy.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    Raymie - I recognise Inverkip in the last of yours. Where were the rest taken? Some of the views look very familiar, but in the snow I just can't figure it out.
  • I didn't even manage to get into work today, was sliding around on the roads for 3 hours before I got home and covered hardly any distance at all!

Went for a ride on my local trails in Doncaster, South Yorkshire. It started snowing at 7:40 this morning and still hasn't stopped! The ride was very hard work!!

6.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

3-1.jpg

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg
    [/img]
    I love the sound my tyres make on dusty single track!
  • Broonster
    Broonster Posts: 440
    Right, that's it. I'm going to cease being a complete & utter f@nny, MTFU and get my arse out in the snow. I've been sick for the past 3 weeks at not getting out on my bike, due to a foot of snow round where I live, but I'm going to bite the bullet and get out. Luckily I don't start back to work until next Monday - result!

Great inspiration in those photos - thanks guys! :D
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,664
    Is any of that in the Peaks - we re supposed to be going there for a mates 30th this weekend....

North Wales hasnt had anywhere near that much - we had about a foot max on the Marin Trail on Saturday :cry:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    What sort of precautions are wise to take so you actually get somewhere? The lesser used roads where I live are all compacted and VERY slippy, I fear I'd be on my @rse in seconds regardless of speed. Soft tyres perhaps?
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    Stoo61 wrote:
    What sort of precautions are wise to take so you actually get somewhere? The lesser used roads where I live are all compacted and VERY slippy, I fear I'd be on my @rse in seconds regardless of speed. Soft tyres perhaps?

If your tyres are making no noise on the tarmac, you're probably on ice - get off and walk. Brake well in advance and turn slowly. The roads aren't too bad so long as you're careful.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Some of these I've posted before...

P1000257.jpg

Found this guy while out on a ride just after Christmas...

skiier1.jpg

Nice weather for ducks...

P1000339.jpg

A video I shot in the first lot of snow...

http://www.vimeo.com/8321640

What's better, a sledge or a bike? There's only one way to find out...

http://www.vimeo.com/8430971

Kicking off on an MTB Scotland group ride:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJZLKDKM5yU
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    These were from just before Christmas.

4200456657_80ae1e036e.jpg

4201212620_470edf5fb9.jpg

4201214006_8301e45a89.jpg

4201220390_5d547fbe19.jpg

4201222076_6e03b9a613.jpg
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    we'v only got a half inch! still, i might head up the valley to try and find a mountain or too.... or just hit the local saisburys carpark/ice rink, and see how far i can slide beofore being shouted at....
    I like bikes and stuff
  • deadkenny what camera do you use? Those pics are awsome, esp. the colours.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    north-sure wrote:
    deadkenny what camera do you use? Those pics are awsome, esp. the colours.
    Nikon D70. Bit of a bulky camera for a bike ride, but I just chucked it in my little backpack and hope not to fall on my back :D (I do the same skiing, and have fallen on it a few times but with no damage to the camera or my back. Though that's with padding in the bag and padded jacket).

Have got a polariser on it though for some shots which made the sky nice and deep blue. The purple/blue sky in the last one was just because of the sunset. I was rapidly running out of light to find my way home!