Thread to tell everyone what bargains you've spotted!

Comments

• N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    edited May 2022
    Thankyou :-)

Yes I have seen it, well when it was £60, and was initially tempted, but the kind of green and yellow aren't quite the ones I want, but on paper it should be perfect I agree, so thankyou for the thought :)

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    Heads up to anyone still awake that tonight is the last night you can book any remaining cheap Advanced train tickets to use by 26th May (typically outside rush hour peak times).

I've just booked Southampton to Warminster for £6 each way this Thursday, to either ride the hills near Longleat (including Gare Hill, King Alfreds Tower, Park Hill), or head over to the Mendips for a few bigger climbs for just under six hours.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    4iiii v2 power meter £185 at Merlin in most flavours! :o
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • daniel_b
    edited May 2022

4iiii v2 power meter £185 at Merlin in most flavours! :o

That is an excellent deal - I keep looking at the V3 9100 crank arm, as it 'might' fit my Foil without having to change the BB located rim brake for a TRP one which is smaller, BUT heavier.

The 105 one I bought some time ago, may actually be able to be fitted in the next few months, as the GRX equipped gravel bike has come back from December to July..... :#

And yes it will not match (Well they are both 172.5mm) but no I do not care.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    Am I reading the Rutland sale correctly?

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/accessories/turbo-trainers/direct-drive-trainers/saris-h3-direct-drive-silent-smart-turbo-trainer/SAR9830TF.html listed at ~£570, but there's 15% discount off £100+ spend, so it will actually cost ~£485? :o
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/accessories/turbo-trainers/direct-drive-trainers/saris-h3-direct-drive-silent-smart-turbo-trainer/SAR9830TF.html listed at ~£570, but there's 15% discount off £100+ spend, so it will actually cost ~£485? :o

Argh, don't tempt me
    (I definately can't afford that, but oh so want)

Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

Argh, don't tempt me
    (I definately can't afford that, but oh so want)

Just buy it it.

You want it, you need it, you'll use it.

Buy it. Buy it. Buy it now. Buy it.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    edited June 2022
    https://www.merlincycles.com/vision-team-30-comp-clincher-tlr-wheelset-700c-218060.html ~£122 including extra 10% discount in basket, before applying a loyalty voucher.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • daniel_b
    edited June 2022
    Not in the spirit of the thread I know, but do the masses think that now is a decent time to buy a Garmin 1030 Plus, or that there might be better deals on the horizon as the 1040 was announced today.

Not many good deals (or suppliers) come to that, possibly something to do with current shortages of parts/chips etc.

Wiggle/CRC have it for £399, annoyingly the BC £10 code does not work for some reason, but there is 2.2% cashback through TCB, so about £391.

I could just buy it of course, and leave it in a box for a bit, as they have 365 day free returns, and buy from another retailer if one turns up cheaper, but I suspect that may well not happen, or not by much.

Opinions?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    daniel_b said:

Not in the spirit of the thread I know, but do the masses think that now is a decent time to buy a Garmin 1030 Plus, or that there might be better deals on the horizon as the 1040 was announced today.

Not many good deals (or suppliers) come to that, possibly something to do with current shortages of parts/chips etc.

Wiggle/CRC have it for £399, annoyingly the BC £10 code does not work for some reason, but there is 2.2% cashback through TCB, so about £391.

I could just buy it of course, and leave it in a box for a bit, as they have 365 day free rerurns, and buy from another course if one turns up cheaper, but I suspect that may well not happen, or not by much.

Opinions?

Let me know if you spot a reduced 830 during your research. 👍
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • daniel_b
    @seanoconn what kind of price are you looking for it to be below?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • seanoconn
    daniel_b said:

@seanoconn what kind of price are you looking for it to be below?

I’d probably go for the bundle and the cheapest I can find is £350 at the moment. Don’t know if I’d find anything cheaper with patience 🤷‍♂️
  • daniel_b
    edited June 2022
    Do you need a bundle though, do you not have all the accessories and mounts you need from existing kit?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • seanoconn
    daniel_b said:

Do you need a bundle though, do you not have all the accessories and mounts you need from existing kit?

I have a stem mount, rubber bands and possibly a 10 year old heart monitor in a draw somewhere?
  • daniel_b
    seanoconn said:

daniel_b said:

I have a stem mount, rubber bands and possibly a 10 year old heart monitor in a draw somewhere?
    I suspect you'll need to wait for the likely 840 to be released before prices dip, but even then I wouldn't be surprised if bundle offers are thin on the ground, and whether you'll be better to buy the unit on it's own, and then source peripherals separately - to be fair, I don't use Garmin mounts, all mine are after market ones, which are often cheaper and better. I do have a really old Garmin HR Strap, but I also have a wahoo tickr, and I have seen posts on here about generic Ant+ straps bought off amazon with great success.

If I see something, I'll message you though :-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b said:

Opinions?

I'd definitely wait for Amazon Prime day which will be June/July again this year.
    Like Black Friday it's always quite tech-heavy and Garmin is often one of the brands you see featured, with a small reduction across all ranges.

• daniel_b
    I'm assuming you need to be a prime member to have access to that though?

Which I am not.

It arrived today, so it's stashed in the wardrobe unopened - screen protectors collected to, but will resist the urge for the moment anyhow.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,085
    That's 142 grams lighter for an extra £70 on the prime Alu bars.

£1 per 2 gms roughly.

Apart from a weight saving, what do carbon bars add in terms of comfort and 'performance'?
    (it's a straight question).
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Just commenting on the Prime ali vs carbon, the carbons give nicer, smoother feel - same wheels, same tubs, same no taping from lever hoods upwards.

They also look cooler which is worth a tenner or so any day.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    edited June 2022
    pinno said:

That's 142 grams lighter for an extra £70 on the prime Alu bars.

£1 per 2 gms roughly.

Apart from a weight saving, what do carbon bars add in terms of comfort and 'performance'?
    (it's a straight question).
    I've got the old version of these bars and just like my "chewy" On One Knuckleball hybrid/mtb bars, they have a nice bit of flex that really dampens road buzz, so much so I've never bothered to wrap them and I wear very lightly padded mitts. This is with a 23mm GP5000 on the front at ~97PSI (32mm @ ~85PSI on rear, both with Vittoria latex tubes).

Cav has nothing to fear from me with my quite pathetic MAMIL sub 8W/Kg 15sec sprint, so I'm far less likely to stress this flex, apparently the newer version from ~12 months ago is stiffer.

Hard to quantify performance, my 38cm version is ~4cm narrower at the hoods (drops flare out) than the bars that came with my Cube with very similar drop/reach numbers. My "58cm" Cube has a crazy 610mm stack, but I do seem to get a bit more speed for my effort since fitting these bars and the 23mm tyre. I have an adjustable stem ready to fit to try and drop the bars another ~4.5cm, but I tweaked my lower back injury quite badly last weekend, so this stem needs to wait.

Comfort, marginal gains, looks... Happy purchase for me.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    These have gone back up to £139.99 now.

For the price I don't think you can knock the Prime aero bars.

I have the Alu version, I really like the bit where you can rest your wrist when on the hoods as it means they've been well thought out when designed.

Yes they probably look & feel a bit cheap but that's cos they are.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    15% off £100+ baskets again at Rutland, where I got my new Saris H3 for ~£485 a couple of weeks ago (includes the 30 day voucher code for Zwift and Rouvy).

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/15-percent-off-pac-tiered.html
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • daniel_b

15% off £100+ baskets again at Rutland, where I got my new Saris H3 for ~£485 a couple of weeks ago (includes the 30 day voucher code for Zwift and Rouvy).

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/15-percent-off-pac-tiered.html

Did you go through TCB as well?

How have you found the turbo?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Defblade
    Defblade Posts: 142
    Got a 50% off voucher for Huub from a Strava challenge... it works with their sale stock, too ;)
    I've got a pair of their Archimedes bibs coming for £56... worth a punt at that price :)
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    daniel_b said:

I did go through TCB, but a quick look now the transaction has vanished, only 0.85% but still... Yet to try the H3, I jumped on the Direto a few times last week for the first time in weeks when I was really struggling for energy to get out. Sleep pattern crazy at mo, up late on days off work, 0515 alarm on work days killing me!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • daniel_b
    edited June 2022

daniel_b said:

I did go through TCB, but a quick look now the transaction has vanished, only 0.85% but still... Yet to try the H3, I jumped on the Direto a few times last week for the first time in weeks when I was really struggling for energy to get out. Sleep pattern crazy at mo, up late on days off work, 0515 alarm on work days killing me!
    That's crap, make sure you log a ticket to challenge/query it - I've had to do that a few times, and 0.85% on the best part of £500 is still better than a poke in the eye with a stick after all.

Ah I'd forgotten you had a direto as well - is the H3 just for backup?

I was considering one for my partner to replace the so-so tacx vortex wheel on trainer she uses, that I passed onto her when I bought my Neo o:)

Doesn't sound like the ideal sleep pattern, although my own is up at 04:50 when commuting to work, then maybe 6 if it's a turbo before work, and if neither and just wfh, then up at about 08:30 :D
    So pretty varied!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    edited June 2022
    daniel_b said:

daniel_b said:

That's censored , make sure you log a ticket to challenge/query it - I've had to do that a few times, and 0.85% on the best part of £500 is still better than a poke in the eye with a stick after all.

Ah I'd forgotten you had a direto as well - is the H3 just for backup?

I was considering one for my partner to replace the so-so tacx vortex wheel on trainer she uses, that I passed onto her when I bought my Neo o:)

Doesn't sound like the ideal sleep pattern, although my own is up at 04:50 when commuting to work, then maybe 6 if it's a turbo before work, and if neither and just wfh, then up at about 08:30 :D
    So pretty varied!
    Will chat TCB up.

The Direto is semi broken, in that my four easiest sprockets (34/30/27/24) with my 34 chainring cover approx 150-400W, so big power jumps and no z1 plus z2 is mostly at very low cadence around 60rpm. Plus gradient emulation up to 14% doesn't work right, so often used like a dumb trainer.

Crazy at the mo as outside, my 11-34 cassette with 50 ring is getting me up most stuff!

Need to do quick compare of H3 against my 4iiii on the road bike, then set up for the hybrid, which my better half might be able to use a little for some long Covid slow and steady fitness recovery after 18 months of hell.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • daniel_b
    That's annoying about the Direto - it's not old is it?
    Is it basically junk now then?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18