Thread to tell everyone what bargains you've spotted!

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    I've already got an Ultegra SL gruppo sitting doing nothing.

Discussions are under way regarding a metal commuting frame to put it on.
    My new commuting frame comes at the end of the month. You're more than welcome to put it on that and let me bed it in for you ;)

TBH, it's got three years of bedding in already and would be be described as 'battered'. You can tell it's SL because of the colour, but there are no decals left on the cranks!
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    ChainReactions 105 5700 levers for £120 :shock:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=50464
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Finlab6
    Finlab6 Posts: 127
    Wrath Rob wrote:

Back to £160 :cry:
    MTB GT Avalanche 1.0
    Road - Specialized Allez Sport

exercise.png
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Damn
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Finlab6 wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:

That's weird, it was definitely £120 earlier - I saw it!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Finlab6 wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:

That's weird, it was definitely £120 earlier - I saw it!

smells likes a web price typo that got changed back when discovered by the sheer volume of orders...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Merlin seems to have some deals on groupsets atm.

£280 for the previous gen 105? I have no use for it, but I want to buy it just because it's cheap....

Buy it. It's rude to leave it in the store. All you need then is a new frame...

Did you get my PM re bike frame? Not in my sent items! If not I'll send again!
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • asprilla
    Sketchley wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Merlin seems to have some deals on groupsets atm.

£280 for the previous gen 105? I have no use for it, but I want to buy it just because it's cheap....

Buy it. It's rude to leave it in the store. All you need then is a new frame...

Did you get my PM re bike frame? Not in my sent items! If not I'll send again!

Nope, I've got no messages.

As it happens I've just put down a deposit on a new frame not 10 minutes ago.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Re-post from another thread:

Planet-X have some nice deals on Smart lights at the moment, just picked up a load of the superb 1/2 watt rear lights for £5.99 each, reduced from £17.99.
  • Headhuunter
    Re-post from another thread:

Planet-X have some nice deals on Smart lights at the moment, just picked up a load of the superb 1/2 watt rear lights for £5.99 each, reduced from £17.99.

Good until they pack up when it rains! Make sure you smear with lots of Vaseline and/or use mudguards...
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Re-post from another thread:

Good until they pack up when it rains! Make sure you smear with lots of Vaseline and/or use mudguards...

I've put sellotape around mine. Not completely effective.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Really? Mine have been rock solid for the past two winters. Perhaps I was just lucky.
  • Headhuunter
    Really? Mine have been rock solid for the past two winters. Perhaps I was just lucky.

I'va had various Smart lights and 2-3 of them have packed up and never worked again after heavy rain. I've got the 1 watt version which seems the most reliable but even then it will switch itself off in a heavy rainstorm if you don't put enough Vaseline round the seal....
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CLP ... -overshoes

I didn't find these as effective as my goretex overshoes when conditions really got cold, but still good value.

@UE - yep, front and rear lights. On my second or third set. The rain's obviously a lot harder down here... :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Noticed this whilst browsing, quite a good reduction (for the ladies out there):

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/montane/featherlite-velo-ladies-jacket-ec011328

montane-featherlite-velo-ladies-jacket.jpg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • cjcp wrote:
    @UE - yep, front and rear lights. On my second or third set. The rain's obviously a lot harder down here... :wink:

Possibly true, we have so much wind that the drops can't really settle as much.
  • cjcp wrote:

Same problem here. Found solution was to put them in a plastic bag and sellotape that shut. looks a bit rubbish but stops the light dying. Last one died in the crash - gutted that bought replacement light for rather more than the Planet X bargain. boo.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    cjcp wrote:

Same problem here. Found solution was to put them in a plastic bag and sellotape that shut. looks a bit rubbish but stops the light dying. Last one died in the crash - gutted that bought replacement light for rather more than the Planet X bargain. boo.

Almost disposable for £5.99. Some are not great in the rain, but what a price!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    If anyone’s been thinking about getting a torque wrench, CRC have the cyclotool wrench at £32 atm.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=32396
  • asprilla
    Ultegra Di2 on pre-order for about £800. Does that count?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • asprilla
    In reality:

http://www.bestofferbuy.com/1W-2-Mode-5 ... unt-(4*AAA)-p-13641.html?currency=GBP&utm_source=gbase&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=gbase_uk

1w alu cased weather sealed light for £5 and free delivery.

I've got two of them which i paid £15 each for two years ago and they are excellent. I use on flashing and one solid. Caution; may not fit on over sized bars.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    50 lumens? you big girl.....I'm currently eyeing up 1600 lumens of retina searing fury! :twisted:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • asprilla
    bails87 wrote:
    50 lumens? you big girl.....I'm currently eyeing up 1600 lumens of retina searing fury! :twisted:

I started out with several massive torches from Deal Extreme and then I realised that I was just blinding everyone coming the other way and the light output from the torches was't what was advertised and wasn't actually needed.

Usually one of these is more than enough and I use the other as a flasher.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Asprilla wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

I started out with several massive torches from Deal Extreme and then I realised that I was just blinding everyone coming the other way and the light output from the torches was't what was advertised and wasn't actually needed.

Usually one of these is more than enough and I use the other as a flasher.

My commute is pretty much all down narrow country lanes that have trees overhanging them, so pitch black in winter. Plus it'll be used for proper riding, y'know, off road.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • asprilla
    Sections of my commute are unlit and this is usually enough.

I wouldn't rely on deal extreme for off road; bumping along moderate roads was usually enough to turn one of my torches off.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Yeah, last year I had a "800 lumen" torch from DX. It was probably nearer to 300 in truth, bright enough, but when I arrived at home, it had usually dipped to about 100. The heat-sinking on it was pretty poor. Add to that the round beam meaning that a good proportion of those lumens weren't on the road I would be surprised if I ever had more than 200 lumens doing what they were required.

I've got an order in for a dynamo hub and a B&M IQ Cyo front light. Not as many eye-watering lumens, but all of them pointing at the road. We'll see if I'm converted. German engineering, though, should at least last a while.
  • Headhuunter
    Asprilla wrote:
    Sections of my commute are unlit and this is usually enough.

I wouldn't rely on deal extreme for off road; bumping along moderate roads was usually enough to turn one of my torches off.

I found that with those cheap Tesco CREE torches, after literally a week of use they broke, they couldn't deal with the vibrations from road buzz and both developed bad connections. I bought a Fenix L2D which has worked fine for a couple of years or more. Much more expensive but much more solidly made...
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    mroli wrote:
    Asprilla - where is Ultegra Di2 available for £800?
    yes where!?!?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    Long sleeve merino jerseys from On-One for £20

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CLOOMER/on-one-100-percent-merino-wool-ls-top
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono