OT: HTC HD2 vs. iPhone

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    ScoTTyBEEE wrote:
    I have an iPhone and bought a HTC HD2 today. The HTC plays xvid for a start, so I can just watch movies on my way to work on that gorgeous screen, plus it doesn't use itunes which I hate with a passion, also when Windows mobile 7 comes out there will be a free upgrade. Seriously the HTC is the best phone out there, the only possible issue is it's size, which is also the reason I'm going for it. I have an iphone if I want to take a smaller phone somewhere.

Dude, you bought the phone today... bit to soon to be making claims like that isn't it?

Besides it runs on Windoze...
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    cjcp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    What the hell is a HTC?

I'm with you. I'm 37 years old but right now I feel about 77. I've been left behind. I think I hav spent too long on the bike rather than reading up about phones and computers... Even my dad who's in his 60s understands these things better than me....

Exactly. I've got a phone. It's a phone. I use it to phone people. I don't even own an iPod!

Looking at the HTC site, it looks a portable 1989 Phillips alarm clock (which, um, I might own and refuse to throw away).

Yes, I've got a Nokia N95, which in itself is not a simple phone but all I use is the camera occasionally and the phone function itself. I only pay I think £15 per month, I get 600 free mins anytime any network, unlimited free texts, free insurance. i don't get free internet access, but then I have internet at home and in the office and other than those times I'm usually on the bike when I don't need the net anyway. I reallty don't see the point in paying £35 per month for something I ain't gonna use! My total mobile bill is rarely about £35 per month with all calls etc. I also don't own an ipod. The only MP3 player i have is on the N95 which is fine. However my dad's got an ipod and my mum has got an itouch, both of them are in their mid 60s, so perhaps I should get with the times... I just can't be bothered.

So, is an iPod an MP3 player? What does "MP3" mean? And what's an itouch? The problem is that if I bought one of these things, I'd break it. My mobile looks as if it's been dropped from four storeys up. I don't trust myself with an iThing of any description.

Wow, you know even less than me about these things! itouch is like an iphone without the phone bit - so the music player, photo bit etc etc. It's basically the ipod bit of the iphone. As far as I know an ipod/iphone is basically a fancy MP3 player - however I could be about to get shot down in flames for making a statement like that!

You're comment that your phone looks like it's been dropped from 4 storeys reminds me of when I lived in Japan 10 years ago. Me and a mate went to Osaka Castle, which is one of those typical Japanese castles with the lower floors wider than the upper ones with gently cascading tiled roofs in between. Anyway we climbed to the top floor to admire the view from the small balcony. My mate used to keep his mobile in his shirt pocket and as he leaned over the balcony, the phone dropped out of his pocket, gently tumbling down 5 or 6 floors of generations old, ancient Japanese medieval tiled roofing before landing on the ground at the bottom, narrowly missing a small group of tourists. Anyway, we hurried down to retrieve it and apart from a small chip in the plastic, it worked fine. You wouldn't get that sort of reliability from an iThing....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • il_principe
    Chris mp3 is just one of various file formats for music. Nothing more or less I use the iPhone as a phone plus as little and basic computer with some PDA use as well.

Just depends on what your used to to make a point I've been getting moblie email (got to love imap) for best part of 10 years.

It's probaby fair to say I'm a power user. The iPhone does nothing that couldn't be done before but that's not the point.

Roger - have you ever heard of these things ',' For the love of God please use them, just occasionally. Your prose makes my brain hurt!
  • Headhuunter
    Chris mp3 is just one of various file formats for music. Nothing more or less I use the iPhone as a phone plus as little and basic computer with some PDA use as well.

Just depends on what your used to to make a point I've been getting moblie email (got to love imap) for best part of 10 years.

It's probaby fair to say I'm a power user. The iPhone does nothing that couldn't be done before but that's not the point.

Roger - have you ever heard of these things ',' For the love of God please use them, just occasionally. Your prose makes my brain hurt!

Obviously phone and IT pedants are not the same breed as punctuation and spelling pedants! :wink:
  • il_principe
    I'm not normally pedantic about these things but my brain demands the presence of at least some punctuation! It's just hard to read otherwise.
  • ScoTTyBEEE wrote:
    I have an iPhone and bought a HTC HD2 today. The HTC plays xvid for a start, so I can just watch movies on my way to work on that gorgeous screen, plus it doesn't use itunes which I hate with a passion, also when Windows mobile 7 comes out there will be a free upgrade. Seriously the HTC is the best phone out there, the only possible issue is it's size, which is also the reason I'm going for it. I have an iphone if I want to take a smaller phone somewhere.

Dude, you bought the phone today... bit to soon to be making claims like that isn't it?

I'm making these claims before it's even in my hands too!! :D

Just look at the specs and reviews. There's nothing wrong with Windoze, it basically means I won't have to pay for any apps like tomtom e.t.c cos they're so freely available.
  • Headhuunter
    I'm not normally pedantic about these things but my brain demands the presence of at least some punctuation! It's just hard to read otherwise.

I'm definitely with you on that! Spelling too - your vs you're and even cycling specific spelling like peddle vs pedal. Anyway, don't get me started.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    cjcp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    What the hell is a HTC?

I'm with you. I'm 37 years old but right now I feel about 77. I've been left behind. I think I hav spent too long on the bike rather than reading up about phones and computers... Even my dad who's in his 60s understands these things better than me....

Exactly. I've got a phone. It's a phone. I use it to phone people. I don't even own an iPod!

Looking at the HTC site, it looks a portable 1989 Phillips alarm clock (which, um, I might own and refuse to throw away).

Yes, I've got a Nokia N95, which in itself is not a simple phone but all I use is the camera occasionally and the phone function itself. I only pay I think £15 per month, I get 600 free mins anytime any network, unlimited free texts, free insurance. i don't get free internet access, but then I have internet at home and in the office and other than those times I'm usually on the bike when I don't need the net anyway. I reallty don't see the point in paying £35 per month for something I ain't gonna use! My total mobile bill is rarely about £35 per month with all calls etc. I also don't own an ipod. The only MP3 player i have is on the N95 which is fine. However my dad's got an ipod and my mum has got an itouch, both of them are in their mid 60s, so perhaps I should get with the times... I just can't be bothered.

So, is an iPod an MP3 player? What does "MP3" mean? And what's an itouch? The problem is that if I bought one of these things, I'd break it. My mobile looks as if it's been dropped from four storeys up. I don't trust myself with an iThing of any description.

Wow, you know even less than me about these things! itouch is like an iphone without the phone bit - so the music player, photo bit etc etc. It's basically the ipod bit of the iphone. As far as I know an ipod/iphone is basically a fancy MP3 player - however I could be about to get shot down in flames for making a statement like that!

You're comment that your phone looks like it's been dropped from 4 storeys reminds me of when I lived in Japan 10 years ago. Me and a mate went to Osaka Castle, which is one of those typical Japanese castles with the lower floors wider than the upper ones with gently cascading tiled roofs in between. Anyway we climbed to the top floor to admire the view from the small balcony. My mate used to keep his mobile in his shirt pocket and as he leaned over the balcony, the phone dropped out of his pocket, gently tumbling down 5 or 6 floors of generations old, ancient Japanese medieval tiled roofing before landing on the ground at the bottom, narrowly missing a small group of tourists. Anyway, we hurried down to retrieve it and apart from a small chip in the plastic, it worked fine. You wouldn't get that sort of reliability from an iThing....

But if an iTouch does the iPod bit of the iPhone, isn't it just an iPod? I need to lie down.

Re the Japan incident: exactly! My 2002 Nokia tri-band phone was submerged in the sea off Thailand one Christmas. Bit of the time in sun and hey presto, it worked for another four years. I've heard too many stories of iPod batteries failing after a year or two for my liking. Bring back Walkmans.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp

Yes you are. You are fiercely pedantic. Sir Kingsley Amis (rest his soul) would be proud of you. And you knows it. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Headhuunter
    cjcp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    What the hell is a HTC?

But if an iTouch does the iPod bit of the iPhone, isn't it just an iPod? I need to lie down.

Re the Japan incident: exactly! My 2002 Nokia tri-band phone was submerged in the sea off Thailand one Christmas. Bit of the time in sun and hey presto, it worked for another four years. I've heard too many stories of iPod batteries failing after a year or two for my liking. Bring back Walkmans.

Re iTouch vs iPod - you're probably right. We're reaching the limits of my knowledge here. Yes, they don't make 'em like they used to. Having said that it's all relative. I dropped my phone in a puddle in Japan at about the same time as the castle incident whilst running for a train once. I didn't realise until I had reached the platform that the phone was gone, so I rushed back outside to find the phone still resting in the puddle outside the station (no one had nicked it, which says something for Japan!) However it never worked again after that dunking... RIP.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    ScoTTyBEEE wrote:
    ScoTTyBEEE wrote:

I'm making these claims before it's even in my hands too!! :D

Just look at the specs and reviews. There's nothing wrong with Windoze, it basically means I won't have to pay for any apps like tomtom e.t.c cos they're so freely available.

So your recommendation is worth approximately bugger all then.

For the luddites an iTouch is actually called an ipod Touch, it is an iphone without the phone bit and differs from a normal ipod as it has touchscreen, wifi and ability to download and run all the apps and games from the app store.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,376
    What's an app and why would I want one?

Is it something to do with blueteeth?
    an iTouch is actually called an ipod Touch, it is an iphone without the phone
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • I'm not normally pedantic about these things but my brain demands the presence of at least some punctuation! It's just hard to read otherwise.

+1

Roger, you should read some James Joyce, you share a writing style.
  • I'm not normally pedantic about these things but

Quick! Somebody grab the pedant sack!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • I was hanging on to see what Tesco were going to be doing with the iPhone and wondered if they'd undercut the "not at all negotiated between em" prices that Orange and O2 have.

Well - they've announced em today and feck that

HTC Hero, here I come.
  • Greg66 wrote:
    I'm not normally pedantic about these things but

Quick! Somebody grab the pedant sack!

But, wait, IP has the pedant sack, and the pedant gun...
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    cjcp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    What the hell is a HTC?

Re iTouch vs iPod - you're probably right. We're reaching the limits of my knowledge here. Yes, they don't make 'em like they used to. Having said that it's all relative. I dropped my phone in a puddle in Japan at about the same time as the castle incident whilst running for a train once. I didn't realise until I had reached the platform that the phone was gone, so I rushed back outside to find the phone still resting in the puddle outside the station (no one had nicked it, which says something for Japan!) However it never worked again after that dunking... RIP.

This is great stuff you two
    Waldorfstatler.jpg
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • cjcp
    :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689

+1

Catty, catty catty.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • il_principe
    DonDaddyD wrote:

+1

Catty, catty catty.

Its not catty catty its just difficult to read entire posts that are lacking in commas or punctuation in general dont you think. I know I do perhaps its because my little brain struggles to process words without punctuation that is commas and apostrophes etc full stops are just not enough on their own I almost get out of breath trying to read some of these posts.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    mickbrown wrote:
    I was hanging on to see what Tesco were going to be doing with the iPhone and wondered if they'd undercut the "not at all negotiated between em" prices that Orange and O2 have.

Well - they've announced em today and feck that

HTC Hero, here I come.

The price of the iphone is dictated more by Apple than the retailer.

The Tesco tarrif looks, on the face of it, to be the most expensive basic tarrif on the market.

It is simply not worth the risk for Orange, O2, Voda or any other telco to collude in price fixing. A conviction could cost up to 10% of turnover and could lead to disqualitifcation for any director involved.

Bob
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    DonDaddyD wrote:

+1

Catty, catty catty.

Its not catty catty its just difficult to read entire posts that are lacking in commas or punctuation in general dont you think. I know I do perhaps its because my little brain struggles to process words without punctuation that is commas and apostrophes etc full stops are just not enough on their own I almost get out of breath trying to read some of these posts.

I agree with you but accept that I often am one of the main culprits of bad grammar and sentence structure.

So I tend not to complain.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

+1

Catty, catty catty.

I agree with you but accept that I often am one of the main culprits of bad grammar and sentence structure.

"...I was a Flower of the mountain yes when I put the rose in my hair like the Andalusian girls used or shall I wear a red yes and how he kissed me under the Moorish wall and I thought well as well him as another and then I asked him with my eyes to ask again yes and then he asked me would I yes to say yes my mountain flower and first I put my arms around him yes and drew him down to me so he could feel my breasts all perfume yes and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes. "

When he did it it was considered revolutionary. But it sure is hard to read. If someone drew parallels between me and James Joyce I'd be flattered.

EDIT: here's the whole soliloquy, only 2 marks of punctuation. http://www.claddaghireland.com/library/molly.htm
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

+1

Catty, catty catty.

"...I was a Flower of the mountain yes when I put the rose in my hair like the Andalusian girls used or shall I wear a red yes and how he kissed me under the Moorish wall and I thought well as well him as another and then I asked him with my eyes to ask again yes and then he asked me would I yes to say yes my mountain flower and first I put my arms around him yes and drew him down to me so he could feel my breasts all perfume yes and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes. "

When he did it it was considered revolutionary. But it sure is hard to read. If someone drew parallels between me and James Joyce I'd be flattered.

EDIT: here's the whole soliloquy, only 2 marks of punctuation. http://www.claddaghireland.com/library/molly.htm

But don't you find that when you are reading that (and I say that without being a native English speaker) that you are adding imaginary commas, full stops, etc?

It is difficult because is not the accepted way.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • gabriel959 wrote:

But don't you find that when you are reading that (and I say that without being a native English speaker) that you are adding imaginary commas, full stops, etc?

It is difficult because is not the accepted way.

The problem, or the beauty of it is that everyone can read it differently. There's an oft-stated example which I don't really like because it smacks of feminism:

'A woman, without her man, is nothing'

or

'A woman: without her, man is nothing.'
  • "...I was a Flower of the mountain yes when I put the rose in my hair like the Andalusian girls used or shall I wear a red yes and how he kissed me under the Moorish wall and I thought well as well him as another and then I asked him with my eyes to ask again yes and then he asked me would I yes to say yes my mountain flower and first I put my arms around him yes and drew him down to me so he could feel my breasts all perfume yes and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes. "

Gnurk, gnurk.

He said "breasts"!

Fnar, fnar.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    eats shoots and bananas
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Werent we talking about phones not talking about lack of punctuation and complete disregard shown for qweens engrish in this forum make up your imaginary punctuation where you wish with this one ;)
  • Greg66 wrote:

Gnurk, gnurk.

He said "breasts"!

Fnar, fnar.

There's always one. It's so often you.
  • Greg66 wrote:

Gnurk, gnurk.

He said "breasts"!

Fnar, fnar.

There's always one. It's so often you.

As you can imagine, I didn't care for English lit, and it didn't care for me much either...

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A