OT: HTC HD2 vs. iPhone

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I have a landline as it allows parents etc to ring without being fleeced and I can't be @ssed ringing them all the time
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Engadget - who are pretty good when it comes to tech reviews have the following to say re the Hero:
    The Hero represents a valiant effort from HTC -- though unfortunately, the company appears to have bitten off more than its last-generation hardware can chew. If this build of Android were to be loaded atop the guts of a 3GS or Pre, the performance would likely be astounding, but fused with the two-year old architecture of previous devices, it's mostly disappointing. We're not saying this isn't the best build of Android on the market -- we think it is. What we are saying is that this build is a bit too much for a device like the Hero to handle, and that makes for an uneven, sometimes frustrating experience. Going into the review, we desperately wanted to love this phone, but given the combination of a few poor hardware choices and an OS which outclasses the device it runs on, we can only recommend that you enter at your own risk. HTC has an explosive entry in the smartphone category with what its done on the software side... now it just needs the hardware to match.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I did some research and got some developments.

Anywho... The HTC HD2 is the best one but they built it on a windows os and having seen the operating system behind the HTC user interface, which you'll eventually encouter, it is clunky for a person wanting the phone for social use-slight business use. But it is probably a great business phone. The size would be an issue, we aren't talking Star Trek Next Generation tricorder here, we are talking what Kirk and McKoy were using.

If the HTC HD2 came with Android it would be the nuts, socially and professionally.

The Hero is exactly as IP said.

iphone. Thank you to the dude who told me about 'offering it not advertising it'. I think Apple may regret Jailbreak in time to come.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    The Nokia was bound to be a piece of crap.

Just phoned T-mobile. Did everything I could except say "Look, I know you've got them. You know you've got them."

Instead I got told how to request my PAC code. So I think that's it, 02 here I come.

Can I live with a 3Gs for 2years?

the nokia is a very different beasty I had it's grandfrather the 770. it runs a fully featured operating system and as such is geek heaven but not a consumer device.

the iphone is a good little device but like all things depends what you want to do with it, we run a ical server at home so it is a phone plus a PDA. for others be less or more. rather depends what you do with it.
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    I did some research and got some developments.

If the HTC HD2 came with Android it would be the nuts, socially and professionally.

It's coming , it's called HTC Bravo http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/08/htc- ... e-lucidly/

Android / same 1ghz processor as the HD2, slightly smaller 3.7"OLED screen (but larger than iphone) but not until early Q2 for Europe.

I think this is the one I am going to hold out for.
    26km each way commute on a Decathlon Comp 1 2006 Road Bike

2009 Communting Totals - Car 112 miles Bike 2,765 miles
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    DonDaddyD wrote:

iphone. Thank you to the dude who told me about 'offering it not advertising it'. I think Apple may regret Jailbreak in time to come.

I get the impression they might be developing virus's for that :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • DonDaddyD
    Last question, is it worth getting the iphone 3G?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • mattybain
    mattybain Posts: 115
    edited December 2009
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Last question, is it worth getting the iphone 3G?

You mean compared to the 3GS?

The 3GS is supposed to be faster, much better camera, does video, has better GPS and a compass. Other than that no real change. Still doesn't allow you to have multiple apps running at once (unlike android or WinMo)

• gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I wouldn’t do it if you are going to be stuck with it for 24 months.

And its not even the latest model.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • gabriel959 wrote:
    I wouldn’t do it if you are going to be stuck with it for 24 months.

And its not even the latest model.

+1 on that, if you are going to get stuck for 24 months stick with the latest model.

And have you thought about Orange- They sell iPhones now and the coverage is much, much, much better, the cr*p O2 coverage is the thing that sux the most with my iphone.

Just check out those OFCOM charts that were published over the summer.

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    mickbrown wrote:

Another thing - what's this wifi cloud business?

its a bunch of wifi hotspots all over the place that you can connect to if you subcribe (may be included in your tarrif) to the cloud....

basically means you can use wifi instead of gprs for web access whilst out and about...

sounds great, but the reality is that a good 3g gprs signal will give you a better web experience than a totally packed cloud hotspot.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    What the hell is a HTC?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    cjcp wrote:
    What the hell is a HTC?

I'm with you. I'm 37 years old but right now I feel about 77. I've been left behind. I think I hav spent too long on the bike rather than reading up about phones and computers... Even my dad who's in his 60s understands these things better than me....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    HTC?

Have you never seen Cavendish answering his phone at the races? :lol:
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • http://www.htc.com/uk/

DDD - this site is your friend (covers WinMo/Android/iPhone): http://www.coolsmartphone.com/
    "Come at the king, you best not miss." - Omar, The Wire

FCN 4: Willier Izoard XP
    FCN 7: GT Legato 4.0

*GAME* competitor
  • cjcp
    cjcp wrote:
    What the hell is a HTC?

I'm with you. I'm 37 years old but right now I feel about 77. I've been left behind. I think I hav spent too long on the bike rather than reading up about phones and computers... Even my dad who's in his 60s understands these things better than me....

Exactly. I've got a phone. It's a phone. I use it to phone people. I don't even own an iPod!

Looking at the HTC site, it looks a portable 1989 Phillips alarm clock (which, um, I might own and refuse to throw away).
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Stuey01 wrote:
    Has anybody used the Palm Pre yet?

I'm upgrading to the Pre at the end of the month from the iPhone (I'm going to wait until the new iPhone comes out in July and upgrade on my orange contract for that one)

I had a play with one the other day and while it will take a little time to get use to the keyboard I really like it,

I will have my old iPhone still and have it on pay as you go.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,376
    cjcp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    What the hell is a HTC?

Exactly. I've got a phone. It's a phone. I use it to phone people. I don't even own an iPod!

Looking at the HTC site, it looks a portable 1989 Phillips alarm clock (which, um, I might own and refuse to throw away).

Now we are three!

Can someone explain to me what one would use an iphone for which isn't covered off by the existing technology I already have.

Apps my ar5e!

Though to be fair Apple kit does look the part.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • I have an iPhone and bought a HTC HD2 today. The HTC plays xvid for a start, so I can just watch movies on my way to work on that gorgeous screen, plus it doesn't use itunes which I hate with a passion, also when Windows mobile 7 comes out there will be a free upgrade. Seriously the HTC is the best phone out there, the only possible issue is it's size, which is also the reason I'm going for it. I have an iphone if I want to take a smaller phone somewhere.
  • cjcp
    Can someone explain to me what one would use an iphone for which isn't covered off by the existing technology I already have.

It's an all-in-one thing. It's a bit like a 'cross bike really.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    ScoTTyBEEE wrote:
    I have an iPhone and bought a HTC HD2 today. The HTC plays xvid for a start, so I can just watch movies on my way to work on that gorgeous screen, plus it doesn't use itunes which I hate with a passion, also when Windows mobile 7 comes out there will be a free upgrade. Seriously the HTC is the best phone out there, the only possible issue is it's size, which is also the reason I'm going for it. I have an iphone if I want to take a smaller phone somewhere.

That second sentence of yours. Totally over my head. :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • DonDaddyD
    I do think when you're refering to the iphone as your small phone then the other phone must be a brick.
    Food Chain number = 4

• cjcp wrote:
    ScoTTyBEEE wrote:
    I have an iPhone and bought a HTC HD2 today. The HTC plays xvid for a start, so I can just watch movies on my way to work on that gorgeous screen, plus it doesn't use itunes which I hate with a passion, also when Windows mobile 7 comes out there will be a free upgrade. Seriously the HTC is the best phone out there, the only possible issue is it's size, which is also the reason I'm going for it. I have an iphone if I want to take a smaller phone somewhere.

That second sentence of yours. Totally over my head. :lol:

:D It means movies/tv shows that I download can be copied straight to the device and played. With the iphone you have to first encode them, which means running through a program and waiting for it to finish, not much of a hassle but far easier to drag, drop, play. :)
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    I do think when you're refering to the iphone as your small phone then the other phone must be a brick.

It may have the profile of a brick from one angle, but it's very thin :)

With fit in your back pocket no problems, which is where my iphone lives now.
  • So you can compare my deal, cos I'm on t-mobile too they offered me free phone, 24 month contract, 700 mins, unlimited txt and unlimited internet for £29 (I knocked them down a pound, go me lol)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,376
    cjcp wrote:

It's an all-in-one thing. It's a bit like a 'cross bike really.

Or a hybrid? :lol:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    cjcp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    What the hell is a HTC?

Yes, I've got a Nokia N95, which in itself is not a simple phone but all I use is the camera occasionally and the phone function itself. I only pay I think £15 per month, I get 600 free mins anytime any network, unlimited free texts, free insurance. i don't get free internet access, but then I have internet at home and in the office and other than those times I'm usually on the bike when I don't need the net anyway. I reallty don't see the point in paying £35 per month for something I ain't gonna use! My total mobile bill is rarely about £35 per month with all calls etc. I also don't own an ipod. The only MP3 player i have is on the N95 which is fine. However my dad's got an ipod and my mum has got an itouch, both of them are in their mid 60s, so perhaps I should get with the times... I just can't be bothered.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • cjcp
    cjcp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    What the hell is a HTC?

Yes, I've got a Nokia N95, which in itself is not a simple phone but all I use is the camera occasionally and the phone function itself. I only pay I think £15 per month, I get 600 free mins anytime any network, unlimited free texts, free insurance. i don't get free internet access, but then I have internet at home and in the office and other than those times I'm usually on the bike when I don't need the net anyway. I reallty don't see the point in paying £35 per month for something I ain't gonna use! My total mobile bill is rarely about £35 per month with all calls etc. I also don't own an ipod. The only MP3 player i have is on the N95 which is fine. However my dad's got an ipod and my mum has got an itouch, both of them are in their mid 60s, so perhaps I should get with the times... I just can't be bothered.

So, is an iPod an MP3 player? What does "MP3" mean? And what's an itouch? The problem is that if I bought one of these things, I'd break it. My mobile looks as if it's been dropped from four storeys up. I don't trust myself with an iThing of any description.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    cjcp wrote:
    So, is an iPod an MP3 player? What does "MP3" mean? And what's an itouch? The problem is that if I bought one of these things, I'd break it. My mobile looks as if it's been dropped from four storeys up. I don't trust myself with an iThing of any description.

Get back in your cave Chris. The modern world is only going to scare you.
  • Chris mp3 is just one of various file formats for music. Nothing more or less I use the iPhone as a phone plus as little and basic computer with some PDA use as well.

Just depends on what your used to to make a point I've been getting moblie email (got to love imap) for best part of 10 years.

It's probaby fair to say I'm a power user. The iPhone does nothing that couldn't be done before but that's not the point.