what drivel

Comments

• Airwave
    Airwave Posts: 483
    20/20 are YOU the son or daughter of competive dad from the Fast Show?
  • 20/20
    20/20 Posts: 26
    Mr Hopper,

Thank you for your advice which prompts my next observation subsequent recommendation.

Cycling and cyclists frequently portray themselves as the hardest most demanding sport, long hours bad weather etc etc This is fine if you particularly like discomfort and are happy to achieve your performance plateau.

Our novel approaches enable our athletes to achieve the same or better performance on much less training time. Why? How? Because we have learned how to maximise training effort and time. This means we can either train as much time as a cyclist and get better results or spend less time and be equally competitive whilst mainting outside interests in things such as swimming trunk technology. This of course is one of the reasons why we maintain a broader range of interests and probably one of the reasons why there are more women in Triathlon
  • 20/20
    torico wrote:
    20/20 you seem to be suggesting that DH riding wont help my bike handling skills as its not specific enough to road cycling - this might be true but in my mind Dh riding is the essence of bike handling skills and is directly transferrable to any cycle sport - in fact training on any 2wheels ( even motocross) has a direct effect on your bike handling skills
    Incidnentally Hed used to do some deep section DH rims, maybe you should acquire some and come riding with me ?- afgter all its all about the kit isnt it???

That sounds like a diversion i might enjoy once or twice, what sort of bike and other equipment are essential to properly enjoy this?
  • 20/20 wrote:
    Mr Hopper,

Thank you for your advice which prompts my next observation subsequent recommendation.

Cycling and cyclists frequently portray themselves as the hardest most demanding sport, long hours bad weather etc etc This is fine if you particularly like discomfort and are happy to achieve your performance plateau.

Our novel approaches enable our athletes to achieve the same or better performance on much less training time. Why? How? Because we have learned how to maximise training effort and time. This means we can either train as much time as a cyclist and get better results or spend less time and be equally competitive whilst mainting outside interests in things such as swimming trunk technology. This of course is one of the reasons why we maintain a broader range of interests and probably one of the reasons why there are more women in Triathlon

This is a wind-up, it just has to be.. Swimming Trunk Technology? Come on! It's too perfect!

On the off chance it isn;t though, there is a reason I spend hours on my bike. Enjoyment, I enjoy 3 hours rides in teh wet in the middle of winter. I enjoy it all! On teh other hand, I hate running and swimming and find that every woman ive ever met through sport has been a zealous, po-faced wierdo. Even more so thatn the men!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    20/20 wrote:
    swimming trunk technology

You see, that's why no one talks to you.
  • maddog.jpg

This stuff used to make me do funny things too
  • torico
    torico Posts: 67
    20/20 you are going to love DH if you like your kit !!!
    I reckon you need to drop about £4k minimum on a starter bike and at least another 2k on kit. But if you want to keep up I recommend some suspension tuning - get your fox RC4 psuehd and maybe some shim stacks to sort out your compression damping in your forks
    If we take a trip to somewhere like chambery in the alps - you should be fine as you ahve had your week at la santa !
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    We need a race between 20/20 and Bhima to settle the argument :lol:
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • 20/20
    edited November 2009
    sounds like fun, the high altitiude well experience will also provide a useful load on your lungs, youll notice a lift in your performance about 10 days after your return.

Not sure about a starter bike though my exerience is that duraace works adequately well and is only found on top end stuff. Also should i ever want to go again I will have invested in Kit that allows me to maximise my enjoyment and consequently represents better value for money, plus it will be lighter which is essential for down hill manouvrability and speed.
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    20/20 wrote:
    Mr Hopper,

Yeah, but you're not hard as nails are you? Messing about with this training stuff. It's all about 100 mile epic rides in the hail and rain. I mean, who wants to bother with soft Hawaii events when you can be enjoying the sleet/snow/hail/grit of Manchester & surrounding area's eh! Come back when you have ridden 100 miles with tuppence in your back pocket and only a frame fitted pump to chew on!
  • 20/20
    lfcquin wrote:
    20/20 wrote:
    Mr Hopper,

Yeah, but you're not hard as nails are you? Messing about with this training stuff. It's all about 100 mile epic rides in the hail and rain. I mean, who wants to bother with soft Hawaii events when you can be enjoying the sleet/snow/hail/grit of Manchester & surrounding area's eh! Come back when you have ridden 100 miles with tuppence in your back pocket and only a frame fitted pump to chew on!

that sounds like a misplaced wager to me. Very well retro kit it is, where do i get a "frame fitte pump"
  • bs147
    bs147 Posts: 164
    Feels like a 1st April 'Groundhog Day'! Looking forward to the 20/20 website.......... :shock:
  • bs147 wrote:
    Feels like a 1st April 'Groundhog Day'! Looking forward to the 20/20 website.......... :shock:

It already exists, no need to wait...

http://www.bumwine.com/md2020.html
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Q. What goes "Faaark!, A corner!" "Faaark!, A corner!" "Faaark!, A corner!" "Faaark!, A corner!" "Faaark!, A corner!" -CRASH -"Faaark. My Zipps"

A. A triantelope in a crit.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    I've trained with tri athletes before and it has been very usefull, i can now track stand all day long, from having to wait for them whenever there is a hill longer than a speed hump
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    20/20 wrote:
    [Sure we have elitist attitudes too but we do our bragging on the course AND ON CYCLING SITES

Pious tit.
  • BigJimmyB
    20/20 wrote:
    Its true the average triathlete is better equipped and takes advantage of the performance gains offered by the latest product developments. Its only natural to do this, after all we hone our bodies for the best performance. Why eschew the latest kit for the sake of misplaced loyalty to outdated techniques or culture?

Ti bars look good, make you faster but require more skill to use in a bunch. As i have advanced bike handling skills following a training course in La Santa I am comfortable to use them in company.

I understand that most cyclists dont have the skills and fear that i might fall off and cause injury but i am trained and my hands are exactly the same distance from the brakes as when im riding on the tops so your fears are without foundation.

WTF are you on about? Bugger off you weirdo.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    BigJimmyB wrote:

relax jimmy - the fella knows as much about sports science as I do - he's just on a wind-up, that's all...
  • BigJimmyB
    dennisn wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    Q.How do you find an Ironman bore at a party ?

A.You dont - he'lll find you !

Talk about hitting the nail on the head. So true, so true. I've been there more than a few times, and usually with the same 3 or 4 guys. I think my biggest error, when I see them socially, is asking "so what have you been up to?". Big, big mistake. Never ask anything remotely like that unless you want to be put to sleep with talk of 6:37 splits, swim stroke
    mechanics, transition time, cadence, power output, the word Ironman over and over.............................ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ[/quote

]I have an uncle like that who regales us with stories of his latest caravan trip.

Doesn't give a t0$$ about your life, you could have been on safari and wrestled a lion, ah, but have you got a 12w solar panel on yout tow bar...?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    BigJimmyB

facepalm.jpeg
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    BigJimmyB wrote:
    20/20 wrote:
    Its true the average triathlete is better equipped and takes advantage of the performance gains offered by the latest product developments. Its only natural to do this, after all we hone our bodies for the best performance. Why eschew the latest kit for the sake of misplaced loyalty to outdated techniques or culture?

Ti bars look good, make you faster but require more skill to use in a bunch. As i have advanced bike handling skills following a training course in La Santa I am comfortable to use them in company.

I understand that most cyclists dont have the skills and fear that i might fall off and cause injury but i am trained and my hands are exactly the same distance from the brakes as when im riding on the tops so your fears are without foundation.

Don't take him too seriously. Or seriously at all for that matter. It's just for fun. Then again you never know about triathletes.
  • BigJimmyB
    20/20 wrote:
    surprising coming from a multi sport athlete and training guru

Oh shut up and pass the crack pipe.

Sorry for my multiple posts but the more read the more I'm spitting my tea at my monitor.

This is ACE!
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    20/20 wrote:
    lfcquin wrote:
    20/20 wrote:
    Mr Hopper,

that sounds like a misplaced wager to me. Very well retro kit it is, where do i get a "frame fitte pump"

A wager you say? I hear gear shifters are all the rage these days, so I will stump up a pair of simplex gear shifters - that should appeal to you modern triathlete types! - I won't use them, I much prefer jumping off and flicking my gear over for t'hills.

Now, about these tri-bars. What the devil are they about?
  • 20/20
    Tonight’s training

Following on from last night if you’re able and the change in quality of your training hasn’t left you exhausted I suggest another bike session, this time on the road. This session should be a staple all year round but with increased effort during your racing period.

2 hours level 2 / lower level 2 depending which system you use. Try and find a relatively flat stretch of road without too many junctions or breaks so you can maintain the same effort through out. It should be just too uncomfortable to hold a conversation. Spin until warm and then measure your effort so your heart rate raises slowly and stays at the upper end of your zone. Towards the end you might find the exercise becomes harder and your heart rate goes slightly out of zone, don’t worry this is ok. Power meter users might notice this tail off then dip in power in relation to heart rate and you should aim to maintain your power and observe your changing heart rate and perceived effort. This will teach you a lot about yourself

If you’ve spent money on a power meter by all means use the results at the end for some more targeted program development. If not don’t worry. Power is so last year anyway and as we move through the winter you will see significant improvements without.

Tomorrow its different intervals on the turbo and your first swim. Enjoy tonight

20/20
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB

facepalm.jpeg

I can't see it RD.

I've been gullible once today with Napoleon D's floor, so maybe I'm being a pr1ck again.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    20/20 wrote:
    Tonight’s training

Following on from last night if you’re able and the change in quality of your training hasn’t left you exhausted I suggest another bike session, this time on the road. This session should be a staple all year round but with increased effort during your racing period.

2 hours level 2 / lower level 2 depending which system you use. Try and find a relatively flat stretch of road without too many junctions or breaks so you can maintain the same effort through out. It should be just too uncomfortable to hold a conversation. Spin until warm and then measure your effort so your heart rate raises slowly and stays at the upper end of your zone. Towards the end you might find the exercise becomes harder and your heart rate goes slightly out of zone, don’t worry this is ok. Power meter users might notice this tail off then dip in power in relation to heart rate and you should aim to maintain your power and observe your changing heart rate and perceived effort. This will teach you a lot about yourself

If you’ve spent money on a power meter by all means use the results at the end for some more targeted program development. If not don’t worry. Power is so last year anyway and as we move through the winter you will see significant improvements without.

Tomorrow its different intervals on the turbo and your first swim. Enjoy tonight

20/20

Ha ha ha! :lol::lol::lol: :roll:

Numpty.
    More problems but still living....
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,214
    Nice to hear so many amusing tips from a jack of all trades, master of none :lol:

I was particularly enlightened to hear that training at altitude will bring about improved performances on returning to lower levels. Thank God for the invention of triathlon, it's not something that marathon runners and cyclists have managed to work out decades ago. I wonder if you could invent some sort of chemical product that would replicate the effects or maybe even take someones blood out, re-oxygenate it and put it back in :? :wink:
  • As a triathlete i'm a little embarrassed. Sorry everyone.
  • 2 hours level 2 / lower level 2 depending which system you use. Try and find a relatively flat stretch of road without too many junctions or breaks so you can maintain the same effort through out. It should be just too uncomfortable to hold a conversation. Spin until warm and then measure your effort so your heart rate raises slowly and stays at the upper end of your zone. Towards the end you might find the exercise becomes harder and your heart rate goes slightly out of zone, don’t worry this is ok. Power meter users might notice this tail off then dip in power in relation to heart rate and you should aim to maintain your power and observe your changing heart rate and perceived effort. This will teach you a lot about yourself

WOW this is revolutionary stuff :roll:

Didn't Peter Read recommend somthing similar for the month of Nov back in 1992 in his black book :P

Thanks for the link to the website - don't think I'll bother. 8)
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    kirkjr13 wrote:
    As a triathlete i'm a little embarrassed.

Having seen what triathletes wear, I would be too :wink::lol:
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos