Guilty Displeasures

12346»

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    NGale wrote:
    The Daily Mail, George Osbourne, Reality TV, seafood, snakes, time wasters, call hoaxers....

actually the list is endless :shock:

You hate him so much you can't even spell his name... :D

Indeed, I believe its spelt G-I-D-E-O-N.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    nasahapley wrote:
    James Joyce - Ullyses not past page 10 (tried at least a dozen times)

Skiing - irrational but I hate it and the associated enthusiasm.

I'll see your James Joyce and raise you a Marcel Proust! I've thoroughly enjoyed near enough every 'classic' I've read, but I found In Search of Lost Time to be a load of incredibly longwinded pretentious guff.

Agree re skiing; I think it's the fact that keen skiers always seem to be so evangelical about it. I like cycling and that's enough for me, I wouldn't dream of nagging anyone to go on a cycling holiday, but the amount of times I've had to listen politely as someone bangs on about how I'd simply love skiing as I'm an outdoorsy type and it's not that expensive you know and you'll pick it up really quickly and it's so good to be in the pure mountain air and it's actually a really good workout and you can drive down to the Alps in a day you know and you don't need to buy all the stuff you can hire it and the apres ski parties are soooo much fun and Rupert and Jocasta have a chalet in Verbier and you can actually get a good tan and you can ski straight from the front door of the hotels and you can try snowboarding too and did I tell you about the time that Rupert strayed onto a black run and F*** OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aaah, I feel better for that.

I've heard cyclists talk exactly the same way...;-)
  • Why do motor cycles think that the green box at the front of traffic lights is for them.... Last and every other time I've looked I see a green box with a pedel driven cycle depicted there...no motor in sight..
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I'm going to add Weddings.

Big day, bride gets dressed up, looks the part etc and everyone enjoys a get together. Trouble is they always involve forcing a load of people who wouldn't otherwise dream of being there into a church for only the third time in their adult lives, and without a shadow of a doubt the whole shebang ends with a disco at full blast for the benefit of a room full of old ladies, and you can bet the cost of the day that the DJ will end up playing Come On Eileen - the world's worst record ever, worse than Shaddup You Face, anything by Stepps & Girls Outloud and worse even than that sodding Grandma record by the kids with no teeth.

Weddings eh? You should only ever go to one, your own. That's enough for anyone.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    When I DJed my friends wedding I played "Killing in the Name" by Rage Against the Machine, only partly to encourage the grannies to head off home for their nap.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    biondino wrote:
    When I DJed my friends wedding I played "Killing in the Name" by Rage Against the Machine, only partly to encourage the grannies to head off home for their nap.

Are you Bruno Brookes?! :shock:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Right, I'm going out on a limb here - Charitable "Challenges". Specifically events that are not actually challenging - i.e sponsoring someone who is in reasonable nick to run 5k, or cycle 20 miles - I'm sorry but that's not a challenge. If someone is actually challenging themselves and will be training/suffering accordingly then fine, but otherwise nope, I'd rather just stick to giving to my charities of choice.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Right, I'm going out on a limb here - Charitable "Challenges". Specifically events that are not actually challenging - i.e sponsoring someone who is in reasonable nick to run 5k, or cycle 20 miles - I'm sorry but that's not a challenge. If someone is actually challenging themselves and will be training/suffering accordingly then fine, but otherwise nope, I'd rather just stick to giving to my charities of choice.

I quite agree, I did a 3 day charity ride earlier this year, I felt somewhat sheepish about it as it was within my ability and also was for the company that I work for's "charitable foundation" - all a big tax write off. I enjoyed the ride though. :twisted:
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    U2.

Everyone likes them but me, as far as I can tell.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    DesWeller wrote:
    U2.

Oh god I'm so with you there, I didn't put them in my OP because I don't feel guilty bout it, at all!

Now stay cool stuaff but...

I'm going to add Metallica pre and post Jason Newstead. Not the music, I know there is some amazing songs on ride the lightening, master of puppets and ...and justice for all and the rest but the sound the the albumns is pap.
    The new stuff just isn't my bag, I don't like the new bass players style.
    The cunning stunts DVD gig is the best period for me, playing the old songs well :D
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    I'll also add to my list, and this is a shock horror comming from a female by all accounts....'Metrosexuals'

Sorry but I want a man to be a man, ok take care of yourself I have no problem with that, but waxing chests, moisturising, poncing about with hair wax and such is a turn off for me.

Just be a man :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Any part of Michelle Obama, not just the arms.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    NGale wrote:
    I'll also add to my list, and this is a shock horror comming from a female by all accounts....'Metrosexuals'

Sorry but I want a man to be a man, ok take care of yourself I have no problem with that, but waxing chests, moisturising, poncing about with hair wax and such is a turn off for me.

So shaving legs is ok? :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Snobbery - in any form - climbing snobs, cycling snobs etc - if I want to ride a Pinarelli Prince with flats whilst wearing a tweed jacket then that's my choice. Worst I think are the 'cool' fakeners Ducks :)
  • NGale
    cjcp wrote:
    NGale wrote:

So shaving legs is ok? :)

I will allow it for cycling or fetish purposes :lol:
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    prawny wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:
    U2.

Oh god I'm so with you there, I didn't put them in my OP because I don't feel guilty bout it, at all!

Now stay cool stuaff but...

I'm going to add Metallica pre and post Jason Newstead. Not the music, I know there is some amazing songs on ride the lightening, master of puppets and ...and justice for all and the rest but the sound the the albumns is pap.
    The new stuff just isn't my bag, I don't like the new bass players style.
    The cunning stunts DVD gig is the best period for me, playing the old songs well :D

Hmmm.....I did say I'd respect other people mentioning my favourite things....I meant it. Rob T, to my mind, is up there for playing and stage presence with his illustrious predecessors. And Cliff's legendary status is entirely justified. 'Anesthesia' is one of my absolute favourite tracks. Jason always was great live, but never really got to show what he could do in terms of songwriting (and then there was the bass-parts-deleted-on-Justice-thing), and if you want to talk about bad production, Justice is about the worst Metallica album- tinny-sounding.
    Now, I wouldn't recommend saying that stuff too loud in a room full of fans ;)
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Snobbery - in any form - climbing snobs, cycling snobs etc - if I want to ride a Pinarelli Prince with flats whilst wearing a tweed jacket then that's my choice. Worst I think are the 'cool' fakeners Ducks :)

Or even a Pinarello Prince ;)
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    StuAff wrote:

Or even a Pinarello Prince ;)

He so doesn't deserve to ever have one if he can't even spell the name properly. tut.
  • NGale
    although come to think of it the leg shaving thing is a little disturbing. Ack be a man...albiet a hairy one. :lol:
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    @ StuAff

Maybe I didn't explain myself properly, I love the earlier stuff it's the production and mainly Hetfield's voice I don't like. I don't think that it was down to Newstead that I prefer that era soundwise, he just coincided with it, although thinking about it ';m not a fan of Reload much and I think the orchestra arrangement murdered One on S&M they played over the bass drum part - bastards :evil:

Maybe I should have said 'Metallica recording quality pre black album and most songs post load excluding Garage Inc and I dissappear(sp?)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • DesWeller wrote:
    U2.

+1

Not a fan of U2 and all Bonio's anthemic claptrap.
    No Babbit No, Look what Birdy doing
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778

not snobbery it's called Discerning :wink:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14