Guilty Displeasures

Comments

• tebbit
    tebbit Posts: 604
    A guilty displeasure is sensible eco-friendly cars, last one I owned was a 2CV in the 80s, after that I went for faster and powerful cars.

It is a guilty displeasure I should like eco-friendly sensible cars but I never buy them, not that I own a car at the moment.
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    prawny wrote:

But but but early Skunk Anansie? Korn? There's some good stuff too...

I thought they were going to play Twisted (everyday hurts) on the radio last weekend so I turnde it up ready, turned out they were using it as a bed and then played the new Bon Jovi single, I nearly vommed.

I used to like Skunk Anansie (first saw them supporting Senser..), Korn were always a bit too nu-metal for me, liked the Deftones though I feel those are guilty pleasures in metal circles :lol:

'Shove it' has always been a favourite. Korn - only really liked 'blind' and other riffy ones...
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    CdrJake wrote:
    As an engineer I would like to see a return to the 'can do' view the Victorians has when it came to engineering projects, these days it's too much about 'ooooh that'll be too expensive' or 'ooooh are you sure that can be done', thank christ Brunel didn't think that!

We could have the same "can do" attitude. We just need to forget three minor details the Victorians cared little about, cost, lives and planning.
    I'd rather not, thanks.
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    Monford22 wrote:
    )
    Brown Sauce

SACRALIDGE!!

You mean Bacon Sauce...... it just compliments bacon, more than don_don could ever compliment LiT.

:shock:

Personally I never let anything but tomato ketchup near my bacon, mmmmm :)

My 'GDPs':

Marmite. Porridge.
    Both good for me, but yuck..
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Celery - it is supposed to be good for you but let me ask you this, how come it takes more energy to eat it than it gives you? Surely anything that depletes your energy reserves is effectively taking you nearer to death? Boycot celery it is trying to kill you!
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Oh, there are so many (some of you have picked some of my favourite things, but I have no problem respecting your opinions):
    Trade unions of the head-in-the-sand variety (the CWU in particular)
    Children and the whole cult of parenting, plus society's favouritism of 'families' and people in relationships. I am single. I always have been and always will be. I will never impregnate anyone. Why should I subsidise the taxes, holidays, etc of other people? You have a wife/kid/etc, you pay for them.
    'Speak your brains' idiots of the kind that post comments on every web news site.
    'Boy/girl bands'. They're not bands, they don't play instruments. Or sing for that matter.
    The ignorant.
    New Year's Day
    Harry Potter/Twilight/Lemony Snicket. Not interested, I'm an adult.....
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159

Cheryl Cole - A colleague referred to her as a 'national treasure' the other day....

Maybe he thinks she should be buried :wink:
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    edited November 2009
    StuAff wrote:
    New Year's Day

Wrong. New Year's Day is brilliiant, its New Year's Eve which is shite
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Political Correctness in all its ghastly forms

I'm with Greg on the Victorians

Apologising for the past - ultimately we will end up apologising to the Neanderthals for their extinction - or has someone already done this ?
  • stuaff
    StuAff wrote:
    New Year's Day

Wrong. New Year's Day is brilliiant, its New Year's Eve which is shite

My bad. Both are shite.
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • biondino wrote:
    Michael McIntyre? Just because a fair proportion of the lowest common denominator like him, I don't think that means you're supposed to...
    eh? what? far more overhyped and ubiquitous than many other displeasures mentioned, you a secret fan?
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Almost all the 'The' bands, almost all the 'K' bands. Bands with both 'The' and 'K' are doomed.
    *ahem* The Kinks...

My guilty displeasures:

1. Alcohol. Most people are agreed that paying to poison yourself is a stupid idea, except when it comes to ingesting alcohol. How does that make sense?

2. Clubbing. All my friends love it, I'd rather pull my teeth out with pliers.

3. Umbrellas. Hate the things, mostly because most people who seem to use them are just the right amount shorter than me that when they're up, the sharp spikes that stick out the sides are at my eye height. I've lost could of the times I've been stabbed in the eye by some inconsiderate arse bimbling past me with no concept of what the lethal weapon in their hand is doing.
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    jazz, or any music without a discernible tune

whisky

Dickens and Geothe

Most "highbrow" classic literature really

cats

@stuaff - you were a child once
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • stuaff
    prawny wrote:
    The Killers everyhting since hot fuss has been shite, also the kooks and kasabian.

Possibly all bands begining with K.

and Iron Maiden, 3 guitarists and they still sound pap.

I was going to put reverand and the makers but I don't think anyone expects me to like them.

whyamihere's post reminded me of this.... Kraftwerk? Killing Joke? KLF?
  • stuaff
    edited November 2009
    Dupe.
  • stuaff
    linsen wrote:

True....but I still hate the results of other people's poor parenting......and don't forget my fellow childhaters Lins....
  • CdrJake
    CdrJake Posts: 296
    linsen wrote:
    jazz, or any music without a discernible tune

whisky

Dickens and Geothe

Most "highbrow" classic literature really

cats

linsen - it's just never going to work between us. :lol:

I do agree on cats however, I don't see the sense in the creatures. :)
    twitter: @JakeM1969
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Conversations about mortgages, fuel economy, savings accounts etc etc. People engage me on these topics (not exclusively thank god) at the pub or wherever, so presumably we're supposed to like talking about them. I don't.

Cold weather. 'It makes me feel alive', my friends say. 'It makes me feel like I'm gonna die', I say, accompanied with a sneeze and a hankerchief. Give me 30degC at 90% humidity any day.

Olives. I can't get on with them. I know I should, but I just can't. Yech.

Don't mind cats so much as attitudes towards them, if they weren't allowed to roam around killing small animals and then depositing them and/or their excrement in front of my shed, or indeed anybody's shed, I wouldn't have a problem with them at all.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    StuAff wrote:
    prawny wrote:
    The Killers everyhting since hot fuss has been shite, also the kooks and kasabian.

I was going to put reverand and the makers but I don't think anyone expects me to like them.

whyamihere's post reminded me of this.... Kraftwerk? Killing Joke? KLF?

Possibly I've not actually heard much Kraftwerk, I don't think any Killing Joke (although I know the drummer uses the same model of cymbals as me) and we deal with an broker at work called KLF so that just freaks me out.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Kraftwerk - Tour de France

Couldn't name another one.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Kraftwerk - Tour de France

Couldn't name another one.

How about Das Hokey Cokey
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • DesWeller wrote:
    Olives. I can't get on with them. I know I should, but I just can't. Yech.
    Strangely, I felt exactly the same until I was forty - even tried them fresh in Italy. Then some latent gene must have switched on because: I started to like olives; for some reason I wanted to start cycling; and I got a whole lot better at hockey :?: Bizarre

My GDPs? Off the top of my head, generally popular culture, I think: soaps, reality TV - particularly cop and airline/port based shows, money-rich sport. Football's an odd one. I like playing the game (poorly - not part of a club or team, I just fill-in at work), but hate the 'culture'. I am tied inexplicitly to my birth-town team and follow their progress avidly. But I don't really enjoy it. I can't understand the selfish, arrogant, vindictive attitude in the sport (something I see from a significant minority on the street when cycling, too). I sympathise somewhat with the adage that rugby is a sport for thugs played by gentlemen (I know, I know front rows :roll:) and football is a sport for gentlemen played by thugs.

Chain fast food, it's just so bland and unexciting. I tend to cope with that 'type' of food (burgers, noodles, fried chicken, pizza, Harry Ramsden's f&c, falafel, etc,,,) from individual owned outlets, so it isn't the food itself.

Big West End shows.
  • Kitty
    Kitty Posts: 2,844
    Alcohol, fireworks and new years eve parties. Don't see the point or am entertained by any.
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    Kitty wrote:
    Alcohol, fireworks and new years eve parties. Don't see the point or am entertained by any.

Only because you are allergic to them all!
  • Kitty
    Kitty Posts: 2,844
    Not to fireworks! And the parties just the food and drink at them....yeah I'm allergic to everything.
  • I'm not wildly keen on christmas, it's something of a non event in many ways though i'm mildly warming to it now there some family kids around.
  • bradford
    bradford Posts: 195
    prawny wrote:

Kasabian shite your out of order!! :x
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Getting drunk and the whole booze society.

Don't get me wrong, I like a good knees up and love a good beer/wine and even a whiskey on occasion.

I just hate the whole "I had a great night, can't remember it though" attitude.
    A hangover is not a badge of honour, it's a result of a lack of self control.

I do get drunk, I save it for special occasions - and by that I don't mean a day with a Y in it.

this could be a result of a failed marriage to an alcoholic
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,593
    biondino wrote:
    Michael McIntyre? Just because a fair proportion of the lowest common denominator like him, I don't think that means you're supposed to...

I don't understand where all the hype has come from, it's like he is the new messiah or somethiing :? :roll:

He is a bit amusing funny, ok, but he is nothing revolutionary IMHO.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Daniel B wrote:
    biondino wrote:

I don't understand where all the hype has come from, it's like he is the new messiah or somethiing :? :roll:

He is a bit amusing funny, ok, but he is nothing revolutionary IMHO.

Dan

He's an annoying little twerp, he and Jimmy Carr can go take a long walk on a short pier as far as I'm concerned. The same pier that they belong at the end of anyway!
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"