Guilty Displeasures

Comments

• Think its getting away from the point - was what SHOULD you like but don't. Seems more rants about what people don't like.

What about kids then? I'm really not keen on kids, and whenever I remind my girlfriend of this (usually unintentionally), she makes it quite clear that I'm worse than Hitler. It's not that I don't want kids myself (I keep telling her), I just suspect they're a bit like farts - ghastly unless they happen to be your own.
  • nasahapley wrote:
    Think its getting away from the point - was what SHOULD you like but don't. Seems more rants about what people don't like.

What about kids then? I'm really not keen on kids, and whenever I remind my girlfriend of this (usually unintentionally), she makes it quite clear that I'm worse than Hitler. It's not that I don't want kids myself (I keep telling her), I just suspect they're a bit like farts - ghastly unless they happen to be your own.

It's a closer analogy than you think.

Sometimes your own farts can be terrible.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,955
    This is a bit more like what a Friday thread should be.
    :D

Though it's becoming a bit too 'Room 101' style list of things we hate

My guilty displeasures..

TV

Blackadder
    Only Fool & Horses
    Monty Python

Just don't get it

They are not funny*

MUSIC

R&B
    That Rap Hip Hoppity stuff
    Heavy Metal/Rock from 1985 on

TECHNOLOGY

Games - just don't get it
    Phones and associated geekery

(Tetris is ok)

SPORT

Rugby & Cricket

Yawn

Expecially people rambling about how they are better than Football

* except for the chandelier (sp?) scene
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Greg66 wrote:
    nasahapley wrote:
    Think its getting away from the point - was what SHOULD you like but don't. Seems more rants about what people don't like.

Despite what some (females) would say - ALL BABIES ARE UGLY. FACT
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Monty Python

Just don't get it

They are not funny*

I hope for your sake we never meet :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Greg66 wrote:
    nasahapley wrote:

NEVER!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Bruce Formaldehyde.

Johnathan Ross.

Davina Mcall.

Cheryl Cole - A colleague referred to her as a 'national treasure' the other day...

James Corden - Gavin and Stacey was ok, but the rest of his stuff is fcuking awful.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Blackadder

Well all I can say is that I'm glad that you're guilty.

Circling back on my earlier comments

"the Teutonic reputation for brutality is well-founded: their operas last three or four days"
  • Cheryl Cole - A colleague referred to her as a 'national treasure' the other day...

Good call.

I *particularly* don't like the way her hairline is desperately trying to form a bridgehead to the ends of her eyebrows. Reminds me of Helena Bonham Carter in her chimp suit in the Planet of the Apes remake (now that was a sh!t film).
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • tailwindhome
    Further to my earlier post I'm adding 'The Young Ones' as it was tripe in it's day and hasn't aged well.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    The Killers everyhting since hot fuss has been shite, also the kooks and kasabian.

Possibly all bands begining with K.

and Iron Maiden, 3 guitarists and they still sound pap.

I was going to put reverand and the makers but I don't think anyone expects me to like them.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • +1 on children and babies. Especially babies.

Dear everyone in the world,

I do NOT want to hold your baby. I try to make this clear politely, but you don't get it.

Furthermore, if your child behaves badly in a way that influences me, I will tell it not to. If you had any parenting skills I wouldn't have to, so wind your neck in.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Greg66 wrote:
    Cheryl Cole - A colleague referred to her as a 'national treasure' the other day...

Good call.

I *particularly* don't like the way her hairline is desperately trying to form a bridgehead to the ends of her eyebrows. Reminds me of Helena Bonham Carter in her chimp suit in the Planet of the Apes remake (now that was a sh!t film).

Carter:

cheryl-cole.jpg

Cole

i_apes_hi.jpg

:lol:
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    +1 on children and babies. Especially babies.

Dear everyone in the world,

I do NOT want to hold your baby. I try to make this clear politely, but you don't get it.

Furthermore, if your child behaves badly in a way that influences me, I will tell it not to. If you had any parenting skills I wouldn't have to, so wind your neck in.

Add too Other People's Babies. No-one else in the world really cares that you've managed to do what half the teenagers in Middlesborough seem able to achieve without much effort. You're welcome to the standard congratulations, but further interest in the child's achievements is neither justified or required on my part.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Democracy (stay with me here). What really, really gets my goat is people whose concept of democracy is that they, personally, should have an influential say in any decision they decide matters to them. No, that's not how it works. You ELECT people do make these decisions for you, which they then do with a) knowledge and b) efficiency.

Even though both a) and b) are actually vanishingly rare, imagine, if you will, letting your Mail or Mirror reading man down the boozer have any say whatsoever in policy.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    biondino wrote:

Rock music. Like CP says, there are some decent tunes but most music that can be described as rock is depressingly unsubtle, derivative and boring.

do what now??? I love proper rock and metal... not the new publicised stuff that passes for it today it's just a bunch of kids put together with songs written for them (wonder why the 2nd album always bombs??) arrgh hate it, yet it's gateway music so it serves a purpose I guess.
    Same goes for nearly all 'The' bands

Brits abroad holidays (seriously with the whole world to visit you go to the same place again and again.. why f***ing bother)
    (reality tv shows, soaps etc) benign drivel don't talk to me about them I don't care
    Miami Ink et al.. Cretin comes in asks for everything he likes in the world in one tattoo on his arm, they put a piece of cr@p together and he's happy...why?
    Entertainment programs saturday night drivel for people riding out time till they pass away

@Wheezy I've got metal you'd like (it's just a bit harder to find these days with the mass produced garbage out there (try checking out http://www.roadburn.com for an example of a proper music event)

eg I've got a tshirt from Thee Plague of Gentlemen proclaiming "Playing metal like the 90's didn't exist"
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    Greg66 wrote:
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    My guilty displeasure. The Victorians. They represent everything a society should strive NOT to be yet seem to be held as some sort of Golden Age of Britain.

Now hold on a moment - the Victorians are (as I see it) held up as the Golden Age of Britain because in a generation or two they transformed not just this country, but large tracts of the world into something recognisable as the modern industrial era we live in now.

That they did, but it's how they did that bothers me. Victorian Britian always strkes me as exactly the sort of society the more right-wing Republican American's dream about living in, and I hate it. Child labour, poverty, a ruling elite doing whatever they pleased, and the survival of the "doff the cap at his lordship" fuedalism that had been eliminated most everywhere else in the world by then would be the highlights. You know why there isn't any real road cycling history in the UK? The Victorian era cycling bodies were afraid the rich landowners would have cycling banned if too many smelly poor people were out cycling in races in the countryside. That sums up my hatred for the Victorians.
  • Clever Pun wrote:

do what now??? I love proper rock and metal... not the new publicised stuff that passes for it today it's just a bunch of kids put together with songs written for them (wonder why the 2nd album always bombs??) arrgh hate it, yet it's gateway music so it serves a purpose I guess.
    Same goes for nearly all 'The' bands

Almost all the 'The' bands, almost all the 'K' bands. Bands with both 'The' and 'K' are doomed.
    Clever Pun wrote:
    eg I've got a tshirt from Thee Plague of Gentlemen proclaiming "Playing metal like the 90's didn't exist"

But but but early Skunk Anansie? Korn? There's some good stuff too...
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439

I thought they were going to play Twisted (everyday hurts) on the radio last weekend so I turnde it up ready, turned out they were using it as a bed and then played the new Bon Jovi single, I nearly vommed.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • CdrJake
    CdrJake Posts: 296
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    My guilty displeasure. The Victorians. They represent everything a society should strive NOT to be yet seem to be held as some sort of Golden Age of Britain.

Now hold on a moment - the Victorians are (as I see it) held up as the Golden Age of Britain because in a generation or two they transformed not just this country, but large tracts of the world into something recognisable as the modern industrial era we live in now.

That they did, but it's how they did that bothers me. Victorian Britian always strkes me as exactly the sort of society the more right-wing Republican American's dream about living in, and I hate it. Child labour, poverty, a ruling elite doing whatever they pleased, and the survival of the "doff the cap at his lordship" fuedalism that had been eliminated most everywhere else in the world by then would be the highlights. You know why there isn't any real road cycling history in the UK? The Victorian era cycling bodies were afraid the rich landowners would have cycling banned if too many smelly poor people were out cycling in races in the countryside. That sums up my hatred for the Victorians.

Oh cra* that's my family history written off.

I hate to say it but family history was built on the empire, fuedalism and the odd bit of slave trading (for which I apologise for on behalf of the ancestors). While it may not be what I would have built a history on it's where I have come from. I can't change that so why should I ignore it and pretend it didn't happen. Learn from the mistakes of the past so as not to make the same mistakes in the future.
    twitter: @JakeM1969
  • Jane Austin (and the like)
    Brown Sauce
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    CdrJake wrote:
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Eau Rouge wrote:

I hate to say it but family history was built on the empire, fuedalism and the odd bit of slave trading (for which I apologise for on behalf of the ancestors). While it may not be what I would have built a history on it's where I have come from. I can't change that so why should I ignore it and pretend it didn't happen. Learn from the mistakes of the past so as not to make the same mistakes in the future.

Don't get me wrong here. I'm not having a go at all pre-1945 Revolution Britain, just the Victorians (1830's to 1900). Actually, it's not even the Victorians themselves I have the real problem with. My dislike is people today who think the Victorians were some Golden Age we should all look back on fondly and with seriously rose-coloured galsses.
    Your family history is fine. It's what it is and you can feel about it however you want to, just don't go telling me that the country should return to "Victorian values" or that it was better run because the Victorians managed to build things.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Monford22 wrote:
    )
    Brown Sauce

SACRALIDGE!!

You mean Bacon Sauce...... it just compliments bacon, more than don_don could ever compliment LiT.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • tailwindhome
    Again further to my earlier post

Chinese food.
  • CdrJake
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    CdrJake wrote:
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Eau Rouge wrote:

Don't get me wrong here. I'm not having a go at all pre-1945 Revolution Britain, just the Victorians (1830's to 1900). Actually, it's not even the Victorians themselves I have the real problem with. My dislike is people today who think the Victorians were some Golden Age we should all look back on fondly and with seriously rose-coloured galsses.
    Your family history is fine. It's what it is and you can feel about it however you want to, just don't go telling me that the country should return to "Victorian values" or that it was better run because the Victorians managed to build things.

As an engineer I would like to see a return to the 'can do' view the Victorians has when it came to engineering projects, these days it's too much about 'ooooh that'll be too expensive' or 'ooooh are you sure that can be done', thank christ Brunel didn't think that!

As for the 'family values' of the Victorians, I would tend to agree with you on that one.
  • Monford22 wrote:
    )
    Brown Sauce

SACRALIDGE!!

You mean Bacon Sauce...... it just compliments bacon, more than don_don could ever compliment LiT.

Ok in a bacon sandwich it's not bad but it still doesn't beat Tommy K or BBQ sauce..
  • CdrJake
    I would also like to add to my list 'American Comedy' series a bit like American Intelligence, it dosen't exist.
  • Clever Pun
    CdrJake wrote:
    I would also like to add to my list 'American Comedy' series a bit like American Intelligence, it dosen't exist.

are you talking seinfeld or simpsons et al here? as two gross examples
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • CdrJake
    Clever Pun wrote:
    CdrJake wrote:

are you talking seinfeld or simpsons et al here? as two gross examples

ALL American comedy
  • Clever Pun
    prawny wrote:

I thought they were going to play Twisted (everyday hurts) on the radio last weekend so I turnde it up ready, turned out they were using it as a bed and then played the new Bon Jovi single, I nearly vommed.

I used to like Skunk Anansie (first saw them supporting Senser..), Korn were always a bit too nu-metal for me, liked the Deftones though I feel those are guilty pleasures in metal circles :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5