Guilty Displeasures

Comments

• Forgot - I really dont know how

Reality TV - all of it, top to bottom, I wont watch it - If we dont stop it will suck our brains out and it will be the only stuff left on TV.

Must fight it, every minute of every day, all of it.

This could go on for hours
    No Babbit No, Look what Birdy doing
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Retch wrote:
    Olives
    Liver (that one's for you mam)
    The Beatles

and

Holidays

Can't stand holidays.

:shock:

Huh?????
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    Rap Music, I was really into hip hop in the early 90's but rap music today with all the stupid posturing and bling crap does nothing for me.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Forgot - I really dont know how

Reality TV - all of it, top to bottom, I wont watch it - If we dont stop it will suck our brains out and it will be the only stuff left on TV.

Must fight it, every minute of every day, all of it.

This could go on for hours

That's not a guilty displeasure you're meant to hate it aren't you? I thought that was the point. :P
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Retch
    Retch Posts: 78
    Coriander wrote:
    Retch wrote:
    Olives
    Liver (that one's for you mam)
    The Beatles

and

Holidays

Can't stand holidays.

Huh?????

You're not the first to say it...

I cannot get excited about (variously) places / travel / sights. Yes, I've been to some great places, and seen some wonderful things, but most of my peers seem to think travelling is the best thing since sliced white. I can really take it or leave it - and for the money... well...

Maybe I'm a 26 year old grumpy old man.
    FCN 5ish. Unless hungover.
  • I6 year olds sailing round the world single handed (with some of daddys money in his pocket tho). I want to like the acheivement but find myself saying the words "privilaged" and "unatainable to the masses".

Yacht racing and sailing in general.

I want to like it. Maybe even try it, but it just seems to me its a lot of rich people playing with big toys that only they can afford. I think someones invented an engine for boats nowadays so why do they still use sails? Having said that i think someone somewhere has put an engine onto a bike. Wonder if they are any good? Anybody seen one?
    If i aint riding it, then im thinking about riding it.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:
    Football, I know I'm a bloke, and I've tried to like it for my kids sake, but give me Rugby or Cricket any day

I'm with you on that one.

I've become very disinterested in football over the last few years. But I'm not at all guilty about it. A bunch of diving, whinging, overpaid nancy boys running about looking good, but often being massively cr@p when it comes to playing for their country. Saw Wales v All Blacks in Cardiff last week. Now that was proper sport. Remember the Bath v Wigan/union v league matches. They should do that for football and rugby. With the rugby match first. :twisted:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • CdrJake
    CdrJake Posts: 296
    edited November 2009
    biondino wrote:
    Dancing. I wish I liked it - have you ever met a woman who doesn't like a man who likes dancing? - but I can't fake it. It only happens when I am both very happy and very drunk.

Rock music. Like CP says, there are some decent tunes but most music that can be described as rock is depressingly unsubtle, derivative and boring. Pop music, on the other hand, is playful, unpretentious and disposable, and as such it gives itself vastly more room to be interesting (among, of course, vast swathes of stuff that could be described exactly as I've described rock.

On a similar subject - Pink Floyd. They're just RUBBISH. And, impressively, they've been rubbish in every single incarnation, from 60s Barrett nonsense onwards. No good songs, ever! See also The Doors (even worse, if that's possible).

+ 1 on all of those for me too.

I was forced to learn to dance when I was at school, it was one of those things we were expected to learn at my school. I still hate it to this very day.

Rock Music, pop music. In fact anything beyond Buddy Holly is to me the spawn of the devil in the form of the record labels out to make money rather than quality music. I hate the Beatles, Pink Floyd and Elvis, I can just about tolerate the Rolling Stones.

For me music is Bach, Mozart, et al and into the 20th century it extends to Jazz, Blues and Big Band. However much I try for the sake of NGale I really can't get into the music she listens to, it sets my teeth on edge and I have to leave the room.

The last time I was on board ship, I swear I was close to murder with some of the noise coming from the senior rates accomodation. It seems they call it 'dance' music, frankly there was more rhythm in the engine room!

Added to the list is football, I just don't see the sense in it, again I have tried by going along to some of the OHs games as she referees, does nothing for me, I'm a rugby and cricket man.

Taking time off. Yes the thought of taking leave fills me with horror if I have nothing planned to fill up my time. The last time I took leave was for my honeymoon with my ex wife, six years ago. I know it's wrong to say it but I hated every minute of it. All she wanted to do was sit on the beach or go shopping. But taking any time off is not my idea of fun.

Reality TV, in fact most TV. I grew up successfully without TV when I was at school an university so it isn't an important factor in my life. Radio and newspapers I could not do without however. If I do watch TV it's usually the news, sometimes a comedy and the engineering programmes on the Discovery Channel etc.
    twitter: @JakeM1969
  • Coriander
    Jazz.

It just sets my teeth on edge and, if I'm around it for too long, I become homicidal.

Obviously have my grumpy old woman head on today, am having to restrain myself from adding to the list of things I should like but don't. And let's not get started on things I just don't like.

Oh go on then, baked beans. Have always felt I should apologise for not liking them.

Grrr...

:x
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I6 year olds sailing round the world single handed (with some of daddys money in his pocket tho). I want to like the acheivement but find myself saying the words "privilaged" and "unatainable to the masses".

Not sure that detracts from his achievement though?
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Opera - it's bobbins, completely. Alright there's the occasional good tune but they are basically musicals with added pretension. All that contrived warbling too. And fat middle aged people pretending to be young lovers. The fact that it's generally in Italian saves you from seeing exactly how trite the lyrics are too. Yet it's supposed to be a great art form. Bah!

The Beatles - surprised how widespread this feeling is. I admit to a certain grudging respect. Objectively, L&M did manage to write more truly memorable pop songs than the next ten most successful songwriters. I just have never been excited by them.

F1 - deeply dull and watched by millions.

Skiing - I understand where the haters are coming from. Personally I've tied my hand at loads of sports and I love skiing the most. But I do get why people hate it.
  • Wuthering Heights. Read it for my book club. Finest romantic book ever! I think not
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Thank god people hate skiing, surfing etc more space for me! I just wish a lot more people started hating them!

Michael Jackson - some of the old stuff was good but all of the more stuff is tosh. Swimming - people tell me it is the best all round exercise. It may be great at working all the muscle groups but boy is it dull. Blue tiles on bottom of the pool quick look up as you take a breath then back to the blue tiles.

Packaged entertainment - got dragged along once never again.
    In a very similar vein - Cruises - aparently you get to see lots of places.....for about 20 mins and then you are back on the ship again to the next place for 20 mins.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Football
    Downhill skiing
    Reality TV
    DIY TV
    Estate Agents on TV
    Antiques Road Show
    Marzipan
    Fish
    The Beatles
    All boy bands
    R'n'B
    Dolphins
  • Footbollocks. Specifically the Premiershit. The later stages of a big tournament, or the Champions League (European Cup to those that remember) I can just about tolerate.

Going almost anywhere in England for a holiday. Why would you?

Pinot Noir. Foul muck.

Professional yorkshiremen. Cnuts the lot of them.

Macs. Utterly counter-intuitive, and either the delete or backspace key is missing.

Online gaming. Sallow skin and spots are not for me, thanks.

Jazz. My father likes this. Sounds like someone pushing a drumkit down a flight of stairs, followed by a ripple of applause from punters who would rather pick up their ciggies again.

Ferraris. When did Ferrari last put out a good looking car?

Umbrellas. Of all the fecking useless, ill-designed inventions in the history of mankind, this is very close to the top of the list. A hat is the preferred solution.

Public transport. Ideal if your departure and arrival points are right next to stations/bus stops (eg pubs), and you've got nothing to carry. Otherwise kack.

Any form of obsession about how good a mobile phone's camera is. These people deserve one-way tickets on a rocket to the Sun.

The Sun (newspaper). Just idiotic nonsense intended to lead the masses by the nose.

ETA: Reality TV (obv really) and Princess Diana (ditto). And West End musicals. Ham with your ham, sir?

There are more, I'm sure.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Greg66 wrote:
    Footbollocks. Specifically the Premiershit. The later stages of a big tournament, or the Champions League (European Cup to those that remember) I can just about tolerate.
    HERETIC!

Greg66 wrote:
    Pinot Noir. Foul muck.
    HERETIC!

Greg66 wrote:
    Macs. Utterly counter-intuitive, and either the delete or backspace key is missing.
    HERETIC!!!!!!!!!
    Greg66 wrote:
    Public transport. Ideal if your departure and arrival points are right next to stations/bus stops (eg pubs), and you've got nothing to carry. Otherwise kack.
    I'm getting an extended lesson in this.
    Greg66 wrote:
    Any form of obsession about how good a mobile phone's camera is. These people deserve one-way tickets on a rocket to the Sun.
    Totally agree. If I want a camera I'll buy a chuffing camera.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Think its getting away from the point - was what SHOULD you like but don't. Seems more rants about what people don't like.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • prawny
    Greg66 wrote:
    Totally agree. If I want a camera I'll buy a chuffing camera.

And I can't stand people who think their camera is better because it's got more pixels. Oh yes My D80 is shit because it cost £700 ang only has 10mp your 12mp argos special at £80 was a far better deal :evil:

I hate people, am I supposed to like people?
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • +1 on the hatefulness of football. It's a dreadfully boring game, like hockey but without the danger, played by overpaid nancy-boys who are incomprehensibly idolised by the vast majority of people in this country.

Why, England, why? It's cr@p. I would just dismiss you all as idiots who can't understand a more complex game, but intelligent people like IP like it too. I don't get it.

However, it's not a guilty displeasure as I see no reason whatsoever why I should like it.
  • prawny
    L_i_t do you like pimms? I think you should :P
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • CdrJake
    CdrJake Posts: 296
    Greg66 wrote:
    Footbollocks. Specifically the Premiershit. The later stages of a big tournament, or the Champions League (European Cup to those that remember) I can just about tolerate.

Agreed
    Going almost anywhere in England for a holiday. Why would you?

Because we have a stunning country around us and we should get out and visit it more. Says he who hates having time off...
    Pinot Noir. Foul muck.

Agreed!

How very dare you :wink::lol:

Jazz. My father likes this. Sounds like someone pushing a drumkit down a flight of stairs, followed by a ripple of applause from punters who would rather pick up their ciggies again.

That isn't real Jazz, that's people who think they are musicians who can play only one note a piece and then claim it to be Jazz.
    Ferraris. When did Ferrari last put out a good looking car?

Agreed, Aston Martin and Mercedes are far and away better.

I'm sorry what's 'public transport'?

The Sun (newspaper). Just idiotic nonsense intended to lead the masses by the nose.

Agreed, but please also add to that the Daily Mail
    ETA: Reality TV (obv really) and Princess Diana (ditto). And West End musicals. Ham with your ham, sir?

Agreed, in particular on the Diana front. She may be a cousin of my family, but frankly I have had enough of the press and the unthiking masses making captial of her death. They never knew her, so they just need to back off and leave the woman to rest.
    twitter: @JakeM1969
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Ahhh some good points especially about DIY and programmes like Location, location, die Phil and Kirsty...... ahhh that feels better.

Gaming especially when I get roped in to Singstar or Guitar hero.... arrgghhhhh hate it.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Smelly cheese. I like port, I have the odd cigar, I can get into black (or white) tie in under 3 minutes, but I can't stand smelly cheese. I can't even stand it being next to me.

I know I should like it, but I don't.
  • prawny wrote:

I do, and Winter Pimms.

Why do you make these assertions, prawny?
  • Is it a bad thing I have more in common with the two oap's on here than the youff's :D

When you place your entire sense of being on a team of overpaid nancyboys and cry when they lose...
    Good Jazz is awesome - Bix Beiderbecke, Louis etc.
    Daily Shite and the Sun - can feck off.
    Reality TV - go join the two papers above
    Macs are wrong
    Pint of Timothy Taylors can beat Pinot Noir at rock, paper scissors 9 times out 10
    Marzipan is the food equivalent of Macs
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • prawny
    prawny wrote:

I do, and Winter Pimms.

Why do you make these assertions, prawny?

I'm trying to find an angle to seduce you of course :D

so i can meet your mother
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    I see where people are coming from with the Beatles. I like Sgt Peppers, and they do have some classic songs, but their reputation is built more on how they made the sons rather than the music itself. They, more than probably any other band, are responsible for how pop/rock music has been made ever since. Everything from writing their own songs, to the pioneering use and development of recording techniques, to merchandisng to making the band into a brand, from taking pop music from saccarine sweet stuff like "I want to hold your hand" to the whole psychedelic scene. They gave pop/rock music the freedom to explore and yet still make money.
    They weren't alone in doing this, and most of their influence was on sound engineers, producers and A&R men, but without them popular music would be a very different place today. That's by the Beatles are revered even if most of the White Album is unlistenable.

My guilty displeasure. The Victorians. They represent everything a society should strive NOT to be yet seem to be held as some sort of Golden Age of Britain.
  • MTB's.

I dont hate them but as a cyclist, i know i should like them more than i do but i dont.

I even own one but rarely ride it.

Ever since Robert Millar won the King of the Mountains in 1984 (ask your dads kids) on a road bike, using the roads, iv been a roadie.
    If i aint riding it, then im thinking about riding it.
  • Coriander
    +1 on the hatefulness of football. It's a dreadfully boring game, like hockey but without the danger, played by overpaid nancy-boys who are incomprehensibly idolised by the vast majority of people in this country.

Why, England, why? It's cr@p. I would just dismiss you all as idiots who can't understand a more complex game, but intelligent people like IP like it too. I don't get it.

However, it's not a guilty displeasure as I see no reason whatsoever why I should like it.

You're a wise, wise woman, L-i-T and I couldn't agree more with you.
  • Eau Rouge wrote:
    My guilty displeasure. The Victorians. They represent everything a society should strive NOT to be yet seem to be held as some sort of Golden Age of Britain.

Now hold on a moment - the Victorians are (as I see it) held up as the Golden Age of Britain because in a generation or two they transformed not just this country, but large tracts of the world into something recognisable as the modern industrial era we live in now.

Whisky. I'd rather drink Pinot Noir.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A