Turbo Training for Beginners - a NapD guide

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I need a big floor standing fan to supplement my lickle one...
  • pedalrog
    pedalrog Posts: 633
    There was a superb book written in the 90's by a Yorkshire coach called Peter Read. Book title "Advanced Turbo Training with an HRM" In it he details a number of different exercises you can do over a couple of weeks, with a rota. I have used this book many times and tailored my own scehedule from his recommendations. Not sure whether this book is still available but if you can get one then do!
    Fo myself - I agree it's far better to go out to ride on real roads but it's not always possible or convenient is it?
    So my setup is very simple. Turbo in the garage - a bit cold to start with in the winter but you warm up in a few minutes, then it's better than indoors, a clock on the facing wall, hrm and an ipod with some catchy, bouncy music - rock music if I want to hurt myself!
    Dress code: tee shirt, shorts, socks, a towel nearby. Use any bike but with old tyres, may as well wear the rubbish out on the turbo.
  • Anonymous
    A few people on here have a copy of Pete Read's Black Book (Including me). It's very much a laid out specific plan. I couldn't follow it as I didn't have the time...

I'm sure it would be great for those that do have the time though!
  • Mr. Andy
    Mr. Andy Posts: 12
    Just downlaoded the Sufferfest-Angels video for use on my new turbo trainer.

However, had a problem with the Zip file - when I go to open it I get a message saying "Compressed (zipped) file is invalid or corrupt". Tried to extract files, but then get a message to say "There are no files to extract".......but over 600MB downloaded to my desktop.

Anyone else had this problem? And any suggestions how to fix it? (but please explain in very basic terms......not very good with all the technical stuff!)

Expected it to download as MP.4 file, but zip file is my only option

Thanks

Andy
  • Anonymous
    Hmmm, should be over 700MB.

Email Dave at the Sufferfest site...
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Mr. Andy wrote:
    Just downlaoded the Sufferfest-Angels video for use on my new turbo trainer.

However, had a problem with the Zip file - when I go to open it I get a message saying "Compressed (zipped) file is invalid or corrupt". Tried to extract files, but then get a message to say "There are no files to extract".......but over 600MB downloaded to my desktop.

Anyone else had this problem? And any suggestions how to fix it? (but please explain in very basic terms......not very good with all the technical stuff!)

Expected it to download as MP.4 file, but zip file is my only option

Thanks

Andy

I downloaded it as well and it was a zip file. It was 1.7GB.But I also updated the VLC media player at the same time. I found I needed to open the VLC media player up first and open the file though that(click media tab, then file) to open it
    Great video if you like pain and suffering.
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    I was given a really old turbo trainer that was so loud it woke the kids up (it now sits on my workmate and I use it as a bench to fix my bikes on). Im looking to spend no more than £150 which one should I go for. Im in a mad panic as whislt I will get out through the winter I want to keep my fitness up after all the hard work this year
  • Dave69
    Dave69 Posts: 9
    Am i right in saying that the Turbo's come with "a skewer" to fit the lugs on the machines?
    I assume you have to replace the skewer that's already on your own bike??

How much work is involved, can a bike novice with little bike tech skills replace this without knacking my bike?
  • Anonymous
    Dave69 wrote:
    Am i right in saying that the Turbo's come with "a skewer" to fit the lugs on the machines?
    I assume you have to replace the skewer that's already on your own bike??

How much work is involved, can a bike novice with little bike tech skills replace this without knacking my bike?

Yes.

Yes.

Very very little.

Yes. It takes around 15 seconds to change a skewer.
  • bisoner
    bisoner Posts: 171
    NapoleonD wrote:
    The new sufferfest video (Angels) is out earlier than anticipated (supposed to be 1st Oct but it will be out in a few days! Bestest one yet IMO...

http://www.thesufferfest.com/video-suff ... ls-angels/

Agree 100% with what Nap says about the Sufferfest video's. They are great value for money and the Angels one in an insanely hard session - and I enjoy it even more because it should help my improving hill climbing. Music wise, I preferred Fight Club though and this is also a very session.

I also downloaded the old Sufferfest videos before he had to take them down due to copyright issues - they are also very good too.

B
  • This should probably be posted somewhere else, but i think it's relevant enough.

I downloaded two of the sufferfest video's and have tried to convert them to dvd format so i can play them on my LCD TV, but i get half way through converting them using Nero and my pc crashes. any ideas as to whats happening. i am using Windows Vista. The only alternative is to play them through my laptop i guess.
    Colnago..............The name on the worlds finest bikes
  • Anonymous
    Robbie1958 wrote:
    This should probably be posted somewhere else, but i think it's relevant enough.

I downloaded two of the sufferfest video's and have tried to convert them to dvd format so i can play them on my LCD TV, but i get half way through converting them using Nero and my pc crashes. any ideas as to whats happening. i am using Windows Vista. The only alternative is to play them through my laptop i guess.

Try Magic ISO
  • Teach
    Teach Posts: 386
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I need a big floor standing fan to supplement my lickle one...

If you get a lots of big fans you could imagine cycling into a headwind or if your on rollers you could practice with a cross wind. :shock:
  • Robbie1958 wrote:
    This should probably be posted somewhere else, but i think it's relevant enough.

Solution found! i loaded them straight onto a 4 gig stick and played them through my xbox....perfect
  • I have a tranz x trainer bought off ebay, it has no variable resistance, to ensure i can get enough resistance. Can i alter the pressure between the roller and the rear wheel, or does the tyre deflate to make up the gap?
  • Anonymous
    Can you not use the gears?
  • NapoleonD wrote:

I do but even in top, i dont get the burn i want in my legs as i do climbing on the road. Maybe just take a bit more time?
  • Anonymous
    celt1972 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

I do but even in top, i dont get the burn i want in my legs as i do climbing on the road. Maybe just take a bit more time?

Sounds like a low quality turbo to be brutally frank.
  • was thinking that myself, i suppose thats what i get for rushing on ebay.

I do get some training effect but will need to think about a replacement, any suggestions

Thanks for the advice
  • Anonymous
    The one I use after trying several is the Cycleops Jet Fluid Pro...

It's a fair bit of cash but it makes turbo training bearable! Really good.
  • Cycleops fluid 2, i just bought one two weeks ago and it's excellent, and hard work. use this and you'll be wishing your lats would stop burning. :lol:
  • Anonymous
    If your lats are burning you're doing it wrong! :shock:
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    If your lats are burning you're doing it wrong! :shock:

It was obviously early in the morning when i posted it..i meant quads of course..now i know they burn..duh i need to go an sit in a dark room. :cry:
  • gwillis
    Guys, with the dark nights upon us and the fact Mrs Gwillis will now be working late im forced to go for the turbo training route. Im a little confused over getting a set of rollers or going for the turbo trainer. Ive seen various deals but as always im getting more confused.

For general fitness would a turbo be a better option and is the tacx sirus a good buy?
  • Anonymous
    I've never tried rollers, they are supposed to be better for learning to pedal smoothly and increase bike control.

I used to have a Tacx Sirius and found it pretty pap to be honest, tiny flywheel, big deadspots when resistance is higher.

You really do get the benefit if you spend more, much moreso than with virtually any other cycling kit...

My recommendation is the Cycleops Jet Fluid Pro...
  • gwillis
    Thanks for the info will take a look at the cycleops today. No point in buying a pup so will leave the Tacx alone
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    No arguments about the Cyclops, but another suggestion is the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine...a bit on the expensive side and pretty hard to come by but it's built to last and gets some good reviews.
  • does anyone know if the garmin edge 705 hrm strap can be used with the tacx i-magic?

The i-magic has been in my shed for 5 yrs, ive got fat and the mrs is leaving me so out the shed it comes and off comes the weight and i find a better model. (when ive got some new bits for it skewer etc)
  • I think the i magic is non-coded and the 705 is ant or ant+ coded. You should be able to find a non-coded strap very easily and cheaply.
  • Cheers for that, was hoping it would to save 20 odd quid for another one.

Just had a thought actually, i could have the garmin going the same time as the i-magic just the info wont be in the same place but i guess i will be able to tell im still alive!

Cheers for your help.

If you know of a cheap place for straps let me know will you?