Turbo Training for Beginners - a NapD guide

Comments

• MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    NapoleonD wrote:
    MikeWW wrote:
    Hey NapD
    Bought Fighting Back based on your comments
    Very impressed-made the session a lot more interesting and its still hurting :D
    Great recommendation-thanks

Heh heh, I take it you mean Fight Club?

No worries! They are good sessions.

Not much gets the NapD seal of approval but when it does, you can be sure of quality!

Yes meant Fight Club :oops:
    Still got all those attacks on my mind that I was trying to cover :D :oops:
  • Hi guys I took the plunge the other day and bought a Tacx Sirrius. Just had 2 workouts on it to date I've been doing a 10 min warm up at HR 120ish Then I've been listening to invaders must die and doing 1 tune at HR150 1 tune at HR180 followed by a warm down at the end for 15 min or so. Didn't reallise I could sweat just so much lol!

A few of questions for you guys
    1. I've got my good carbon bike on it at the mo. Is the frame suppossed to have that much movement in it? when I look down I can see my BB and rear triangle moving from side to side quite alarmingly.
    2. Will the work out I'm doing be ok until i get hold of something else like the sufferfest etc...
    3. If anyone else has a sirius I've not used the wheel adapters is this right? And what pressure should I look to have my tyre at?

great thread by the way. Cheers guys :D
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    I have the satori blue.

1) Mine does have some movement also, I repositioned it after my first ride so is stiffer but think there just will be some that you cant stop.
    2) Yes, as long as you can stay focused then anything is good
    3) You only need the wheel adaptors for non-race sizes, I have my pressure the same as If I was riding normally

Hope this helps, others will chip in or correct me in time. :)
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Has anyone put the Sufferfest videos on to DVD to use on a DVD player. I can not get my turbo and computer anywhere near each other (the wife would kill me) but do have a TV with DVD player I could use. If you have were there any problems. I hate my turbo but am getting desperate now with this weather.
  • John.T wrote:
    Has anyone put the Sufferfest videos on to DVD to use on a DVD player. I can not get my turbo and computer anywhere near each other (the wife would kill me) but do have a TV with DVD player I could use. If you have were there any problems. I hate my turbo but am getting desperate now with this weather.

You can burn them onto DVD no problem, just make sure you have a compatable DVD player +rw or -rw, if its a older player. Use nero or theres some free ones about, if you have a upto dateish computer it should have everything you need on it.
    A feather is kinky, a whole chicken is just perverse.
  • John.T
    bramstoker wrote:
    John.T wrote:
    You can burn them onto DVD no problem, just make sure you have a compatable DVD player +rw or -rw, if its a older player. Use nero or theres some free ones about, if you have a upto dateish computer it should have everything you need on it.
    Cheers Bramstoker. I have Nero and the TV is less than a year old so I will go for it.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    John.T wrote:

Yep, I stuck both of them on DVD's.
  • Lou_m
    Lou_m Posts: 97
    I've got mine on my PS3. Works a treat!
  • John.T
    Fight Club now downloaded and on DVD. Just got to get the turbo out now.
    It was very pixilated on Quicktime but worked fine with VCL, Nero and WMP.
    Thank for the info folks.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    There's a preview here of the new Sufferfest vid called Angels. Climbing is the aim here...

http://www.thesufferfest.com/blog/

Looks like it'll be grand!
  • CarleyB
    CarleyB Posts: 475
    yes looks good :shock:
    Level 3 Road & Time Trial Coach, Level 2 Track Coach.

Blackpool Clarion CC
    http://blackpoolclarion.webs.com/

Blackpool Youth Cycling Association
    http://www.go-ride-byca.org
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    So I need a new turbo trainer.

Had a quick look around and this seems highly regarded.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Elite ... 360026397/

Can I do any better for my £140?

Also, does anyone know of any 'downloadable' training DVDs?
  • Milese wrote:
    So I need a new turbo trainer.

Had a quick look around and this seems highly regarded.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Elite ... 360026397/

Can I do any better for my £140?

Also, does anyone know of any 'downloadable' training DVDs?

thats the one i just bought. The Cycleops around the same price also gets good reviews. or i think the Jet Fluid (more expensive) is the one of choice if you can afford it.

i want the one with interchangable fly wheels though. Kurt Kenetic i think
  • Oh and if you read this thread Sufferfest is the place to go. theyre about £7or 8 after changing them from dollar.
  • Anonymous
    Milese -

For your money I'd get a cycleops...

For downloadable DVDs then indeed, http://www.thesufferfest.com is the best place to start!
  • milese
    Cyclops - as in this one?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Cycle ... 360012878/

Penguin, you happy with your purchase?

Thanks, I'll have a look at Sufferfest and read through this thread properly!

Yeah, I'd love a Kurt Kinetic, nearly bought one last year but bottled it. Out of my price range though.
  • Anonymous
    I would try and get a fluid one really, I haven't tried the mag cycleops but I have had mag trainers in the past and they are nothing like as good...

I have the Jet Fluid Pro and to me it's like I've found the holy grail of turbo trainers.

Smooth, progressive, quiet, very stable and consistent. (I know it's consistent by looking at the power vs speed)...
  • spinndrift
    spinndrift Posts: 185
    This has been a really useful post.

After a summer of hard work I've decided to get a turbo to keep things going over the winter so once my Flow arrives I shall be getting some of these vids.

Cheers guys.
    Cheers

Andy
    Cyclist, Massage Therapist & Ice Cream Genius
    Andrew Creer Massage
  • Anonymous
    The new sufferfest video (Angels) is out earlier than anticipated (supposed to be 1st Oct but it will be out in a few days! Bestest one yet IMO...

http://www.thesufferfest.com/video-suff ... ls-angels/
  • lucan
    lucan Posts: 339
    I don't have a turbo, but I do have a couple of spinning bikes at home which I use when I can't get out on the road.

I assume I can adapt my spinning to use the Sufferfest videos. I've bought them, but can anyone advise on how to use them? Do I up the resistance when it comes to the sprint/effort or just set a moderate resistance at the start and increase my cadence?

I'm concerned that for some of the explosive sprints, it'll all be over in the time it takes me to turn the dial to increase the resistance.

Any advice?
    Summer: Kuota Kebel
    Winter: GT Series3
  • Anonymous
    Lucan wrote:
    I don't have a turbo, but I do have a couple of spinning bikes at home which I use when I can't get out on the road.

I assume I can adapt my spinning to use the Sufferfest videos. I've bought them, but can anyone advise on how to use them? Do I up the resistance when it comes to the sprint/effort or just set a moderate resistance at the start and increase my cadence?

I'm concerned that for some of the explosive sprints, it'll all be over in the time it takes me to turn the dial to increase the resistance.

Any advice?

Yep, no problem with using a spinning bike at all with any training video.

Change in effort depends on the video being used, some intervals require high resistance/low cadence and others with increased cadence, some with both!

Try a few and follow the on screen instructions, you'll soon get a feel for it.

I'd start with the new sufferfest video Angels when it's released as it's the most steady... It's also, IMO, the best training vid I've ever tried!!
  • lucan
    lucan Posts: 339
    Thanks, I'll give it a go.

Are you on a commission from Sufferfest? I bought all three and your recommending I start with the next one! :lol:
    Summer: Kuota Kebel
    Winter: GT Series3
  • Anonymous
    Yes, I get 10% extra suffering!

Heh heh, I just think they are really good, good footage and less than half the price of Spinervals, Tacx real life etc etc...

A good product deserves to be shouted about!
  • MikeWW
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Yes, I get 10% extra suffering!

Heh heh, I just think they are really good, good footage and less than half the price of Spinervals, Tacx real life etc etc...

A good product deserves to be shouted about!

I agree
    Just bought the latest one today
    Should get chance to try it tomorrow
  • prower
    prower Posts: 14
    Ok, having read all of this thread and having got the biking bug over the summer i now want a turbo to get myself fitter for possibly some racing and tt next year. As well as a trainer what else do I need? I dont have a shed load of money to throw at it. I am guessing -
    Video - sufferfest etc
    HRM
    I have seen a few threads that mention cadence and power - I currentlly dont have a garmin or otherwise that would measure these. Do i need them? What are the cheap options, if any?
  • MikeWW
    prower wrote:
    Ok, having read all of this thread and having got the biking bug over the summer i now want a turbo to get myself fitter for possibly some racing and tt next year. As well as a trainer what else do I need? I dont have a shed load of money to throw at it. I am guessing -
    Video - sufferfest etc
    HRM
    I have seen a few threads that mention cadence and power - I currentlly dont have a garmin or otherwise that would measure these. Do i need them? What are the cheap options, if any?

A turbo,vids,HRM, ideally a fan..not much else you need. But its worth getting out on the road as much as you can (get some lights) as indoor training is a lot less pleasant
  • Anonymous
    prower wrote:
    Video - sufferfest etc
    HRM

Read post number 1!!
  • milese
    B&Q had 50% off all cooling products last week. Picked up a monster floor fan for £20.
  • Anonymous
    LAST week?

You could have told us! :o
  • milese
    Its probably ongoing, given the stocks they must have and the summer we've had.