Turbo Training for Beginners - a NapD guide

18910111214»

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Think I got Tacx one and yes it was a bu**er to fit! Fecked an inner tube the first time!

The only reason I got on is that all my old tyres were back in the UK at the time. To be honest I don't notice any difference between the road and the TT tyre...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    I got the continental trainer tyre and I had no real problems fitting it. I think it feels a little smoother and quieter than the old road tyres I had used before, but the main advantages are that it won't wear quickly or shed little bits of black rubber everywhere.
  • hulla the hulla
    hulla the hulla Posts: 338
    edited December 2012
    I've always used an old, no longer road worthy tyre, a previous Bonti All Weather thing that came with the bike that I slung in the back of the garage when I changed for some better rubber. No issues with it at all.

edit

forgot to add, it's quite a hard tyre so may have helped with keeping it quiet and lasting the distance (still going strong BTW) although, that said I've tried other tyres, even an old Mich Pro3 race and that didn't seem any noisier.... I personally don't think it really matters.
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • bobones wrote:
    Has anyone mapped the Sufferfest perceived effort 1 - 10 to their own HR range. I struggle to work with perceived effort as you invariably end up either over or under doing it (usually over doing it leaving me in a whimpering sweaty broken mess on the floor). There must be some logic to the structure of the SF intervals and therefore if you could map it to HR (that's all I have, no power/watts available to me yet) then I could be more focused and get more out of the session.

What do we all think ?
    Someone has mapped the perceived effort scale to FTP, which I converted to speed using my Tacx Satori's power "curve" in the same way Trainerroad uses speed as an analog to power with its Virtual Power method. The original spreadsheet is here http://viewsoftheroad.com/sufferfest-on-a-computrainer/

Does your turbo have a published power curve or is it supported by Trainer Road for Virtual Power?
    I have an Elite crono fluid and to be honest, haven't looked yet to see if TR has it listed. Also, just tried your linky but work internet police are blocking it - will look when I get home.

I had a look at Powertap yesterday - feck it can get expensive ! Think TR is possibly the way forward.
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • dashik
    dashik Posts: 156
    Just subbed to TrainerRoad ready for the weekend I hope, if the hardware arrives :D
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    which sufferfest vids do you guys recommend?

I'm going to download one tonight and then torture myself tomorrow morning.. can't decide which though?
  • ddraver
    bobones wrote:
    Has anyone mapped the Sufferfest perceived effort 1 - 10 to their own HR range. I struggle to work with perceived effort as you invariably end up either over or under doing it (usually over doing it leaving me in a whimpering sweaty broken mess on the floor). There must be some logic to the structure of the SF intervals and therefore if you could map it to HR (that's all I have, no power/watts available to me yet) then I could be more focused and get more out of the session.

What do we all think ?
    Someone has mapped the perceived effort scale to FTP, which I converted to speed using my Tacx Satori's power "curve" in the same way Trainerroad uses speed as an analog to power with its Virtual Power method. The original spreadsheet is here http://viewsoftheroad.com/sufferfest-on-a-computrainer/

Does your turbo have a published power curve or is it supported by Trainer Road for Virtual Power?
    I have an Elite crono fluid and to be honest, haven't looked yet to see if TR has it listed. Also, just tried your linky but work internet police are blocking it - will look when I get home.

I had a look at Powertap yesterday - feck it can get expensive ! Think TR is possibly the way forward.

Although hulla's method is good, it's a bit advanced! You can do this more simply by looking at your speed (assuming you) don't adjust the Trainer during the session or between sessions and noting down what speed you were doing for what RoE

Its usually a bit galling to see that 7/10 for the first set was 10 km faster than the 7/10 for the last set!

Bear in mind though that if you re just starting out with the Sufferfest vids and you re not an experienced racer type, it ll take you a while to work out, genuinely, what the effort you should put it for a particular interval is. The reality is that you speed at 7/10 in the example above was probably 5km less than the first set but 5km more than the last (numbers just plucked out of the air). Noting your speeds downbetween sessions could be a good idea (not that I do :oops: )
    - @ddraver
  • Garryboy
    Garryboy Posts: 344

I'm going to download one tonight and then torture myself tomorrow morning.. can't decide which though?

angels is a great one to start with
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Garryboy wrote:

+1
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • I just got angels recently (my first experience of sufferfest) and loved it so I got the hunted for a bit of variety but I don't think it's a patch on angels - anyone care to give a recommended list in order? Angels is top so what is 2nd 3rd etc ....
  • markp80
    markp80 Posts: 444
    I just got angels recently (my first experience of sufferfest) and loved it so I got the hunted for a bit of variety but I don't think it's a patch on angels - anyone care to give a recommended list in order? Angels is top so what is 2nd 3rd etc ....
    I found it useful to look at the workout profiles in TrainerRoad that correspond to the videos. I like fairly structured interval workouts and you get that with Angels (although it's not as plain as that sounds!). Similarly I also like Fight Club for the same reason, good, hard intervals, so those two kind of fit in with the plan I've been following.
    It depends what you want from them really, I think. Have a look at these, just to see the workout profiles -

Angels
    http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/118573
    Fight Club
    http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/120332
    Compare that to say The Hunted -
    http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/workouts/3109

Cheers,
    MarkP
    Boardman Road Comp - OK, I went to Halfords
    Tibia plateau fracture - the rehab continues!
  • Thanks MarkP thats really helpful but I can click through this links and see the graphs for angels and fight club but not hunted.
  • ddraver
    A very dark place is better than Angles IMO

If my heads in the right place, I think they re all equally good at making me cry though...
    - @ddraver
  • Caller
    Caller Posts: 124
    I've tried my bike on the turbo for the first time but I'm having a bit of a problem with it.

When I'm out riding on the road, the gear shifting is fine, not perfect but fine. Once I put the bike on the turbo, the shifting is dire! Does anyone else find that using their bike on the turbo exacerbates any shifting issues?
  • Caller wrote:
    I've tried my bike on the turbo for the first time but I'm having a bit of a problem with it.

When I'm out riding on the road, the gear shifting is fine, not perfect but fine. Once I put the bike on the turbo, the shifting is dire! Does anyone else find that using their bike on the turbo exacerbates any shifting issues?

My shifting on the road is great on the turbo rear is often clunky - I've always assumed this is cause on the turbo if you let up on cadence/force for the shift the wheel slows faster than on the road (that said I have cheap mag turbo so maybe with better ones it doesn't happen) and that makes the shift clunky. Don't shift front much/ever so not sure if that would work the same though.

There you go pretty shit answer maybe but I'm bored - hope you will get better ones
  • ddraver
    Mine too - but it's not helped by me usign a different wheel/cassette combo too
    - @ddraver
  • MickTup
    MickTup Posts: 159
    Hi All,

Not knowing much about the concept and coming to the conversion late can you tell me? My trainer is in my garage, do you need to be connected to wifi for TrainrRoad to work? Sorry to all you technically minded out there but I can't seem to find the answer browsing through the info. I'm presuming not but how does it work regarding the monthly fee?
  • MickTup
    MickTup Posts: 159
    Found it now No
  • ian_s
    ian_s Posts: 183
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Garryboy wrote:

+1

+2

I've got Angels and the Hunted. In a way I find the Hunted harder, but Angels easier to destroy yourself on + I like the music.

I have tried Downward Spiral but not as keen on the very short intervals.

I would like to pick up another one. Any suggestions ?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    There is no try is a cracker.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • djhermer
    djhermer Posts: 328
    There is no try is my favourite for a lung busting, face screwing blast. I have just 10 mins ago finished Revolver for the first time.

Now that is something else. Like all things it's down to how hard you push. But if you work to the perceived effort of 10/10 for the intervals - ie balls out, there is no more in you - then you can't fail to feel physically sick and desperate after 15 of the buggers.

it's over quickly, but my word it hurts.