Turbo Training for Beginners - a NapD guide

Comments

• fishyweb wrote:
    I'm a beginner, especially on a turbo (only 3 sessions so far), and am thinking that the Sufferfest stuff will be too tough for me at present, judging by NapD's experiences with them! So, for now, I'm using the built-in workouts in my Garmin 305, and finding them quite tough enough at the moment. I find my mind getting so engrossed in counting down the seconds to the end of each interval that I don't miss any visual stimulus!

Having said that, I've just received the CTS DVD that I ordered off eBay, and have a horrible feeling that Mr. Carmichael is going to become my nemesis once I feel brave enough to try it out!

Sufferfest is full on but as the 1-10 scale of effort is yours alone I cannot see any reason why you could not use it. Did the new one again today, really is a heavy workout!

BTW if Mr Carmichael offers you any 'Vit B shots' don't take 'em :D
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    fishyweb wrote:
    I'm a beginner, especially on a turbo (only 3 sessions so far), and am thinking that the Sufferfest stuff will be too tough for me at present, judging by NapD's experiences with them! So, for now, I'm using the built-in workouts in my Garmin 305, and finding them quite tough enough at the moment. I find my mind getting so engrossed in counting down the seconds to the end of each interval that I don't miss any visual stimulus!

Having said that, I've just received the CTS DVD that I ordered off eBay, and have a horrible feeling that Mr. Carmichael is going to become my nemesis once I feel brave enough to try it out!

It's only because I enjoy the pain!

It's as hard as you make it...
  • Lou_m
    Lou_m Posts: 97
    I tried the Sufferfest Downward Spiral session today. Never done interval training on the turbo before. Hurt like hell but the time did fly by. I know my legs are going to be in bits tomorrow. Need to try Fight Club now!
    Great thread NapD.
  • Fight club fecking well rocks :) Sufferfest is a genius idea. CTS dvds are positively lame in comparison.
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    Turbo trainers = Land of the dead!!

I buy one nearly every year.Use it for a whole week at a push.I then get so bored I sell it.
    I've tried watching films, listening to music but nothing works for me.I just end up sitting there dribbling.
    I'd rather get kitted up and go out.

On the up side someone always gets a good deal on my old trainers
  • I own a Turbo Trainer but rarely use it, I just can't seem to get myself motivated to "cycle on the spot". That said it might be worth looking at some of the workout DVD's mentioned here to change that and make it a bit more interesting.

Also someone told me that using a Turbo Trainer puts an unnecessary "strain" on your bikes frame, something its not designed for? This comment has always stayed in my mind and put me off using one. Any truth to that as far as anyone knows?

In the meantime I have invested in quality lighting and a "winter" training bike and continue to ride in the evenings without any problem, not in snow/ice of course. I realise it costs a bit more then a Turbo Trainer to do this of course, but so far I've not felt the need for using one as a result. That said, the Workout DVD's sound very appealing.

Thanks,

Dex.
  • Also someone told me that using a Turbo Trainer puts an unnecessary "strain" on your bikes frame, something its not designed for? This comment has always stayed in my mind and put me off using one. Any truth to that as far as anyone knows?
    utter toss tbh!
  • Also someone told me that using a Turbo Trainer puts an unnecessary "strain" on your bikes frame, something its not designed for? This comment has always stayed in my mind and put me off using one. Any truth to that as far as anyone knows?
    utter toss tbh!

Fair enough, perhaps I'll brush the dust off it and invest in a few of the training DVD's mentioned and give it a go.

Thanks,

Dex.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Tried the Sufferfest Downward Spiral for the first time today! The hour certainly passes quite quickly. In fact in a rather bizarre manner it seems to go quicker than the 2 minute interval sessions on the Spiral!

Hard work but I enjoyed it.
  • paul64
    paul64 Posts: 278
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Quick Release Skewer...

Thanks thats has actually answered my question.

I can't use my old bike - it doesnt one of those skewers
    Some (all?) turbo trainers come with a QR as it needs to be a specific shape to fit into the TT clamps. My Tacx Satori came with such a QR so having devoted an old bike and back wheel to the TT I simply removed the old QR and the Tacx QR now resides in its place permanently.
  • nochekmate wrote:
    In fact in a rather bizarre manner it seems to go quicker than the 2 minute interval sessions on the Spiral!

I tried the downward spiral for the 1st time yesterday and I also found it went very quickly, although them 2 min intervals to just keep on going. I was shattered at the end of it, but weirdly caqnt wait til I do it again
  • Khai
    Khai Posts: 19
    I'm going to order my first turbo trainer ... all this talk of pain/vomit has won me over.

Problem is, what do I buy? I'll be using this in a flat on wooden floors. I'll probably buy a yoga mat or two to put it on. It'd be useful to be able to pack it away. And from the sounds of things a fan is absolutely the way forward.

So based on that, I'm thinking either:

A Tacx Flow Computer Turbo Trainer with Skyliner Support
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Tacx_Flow_Computer_Turbo_Trainer_with_Skyliner_Support/5360008834/

Tacx Satori Blue High Power Cycle Turbo Trainer Set
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Tacx_Satori_Blue_High_Power_Cycle_Turbo_Trainer_Set/5360045194/

CycleOps Jet Fluid Pro Turbo Trainer with DVD
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/CycleOps_Jet_Fluid_Pro_Turbo_Trainer_with_DVD/5360039908/

Suggestions? Would my Garmin HRM from my Edge 705 work with the Tacx Flow?
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    I have the tacx flow and the garmin 705. Cant fault the trainer its nice and heavy so doesnt bounce around and holds the bike secuerely. The mains cable has come away slightly at the trainer end but thats probab;y due to it getting yanked at some point. The Garmin HR monitor wont work with the flow computer. To be honest if you have an edge plus sensors you dont need a trainer with a computer. Unless your going to spend a fortune on one of the ones you can hook up to a computer i would just get a basic one that you can tweek the resistance on. I only use the flow computer to see my power output so its a cheeper option than a power meter for your bike if you want that.
  • Get a Kinetic Road Machine - best turbo there is - and they fold up as well. I prefer mine to my Tacx i magic.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=45289
  • Thanks for the recommendation; tried the Sufferfest this evening and it's great encouragement!
  • Khai
    Khai Posts: 19
    mkirby wrote:
    I have the tacx flow and the garmin 705. Cant fault the trainer its nice and heavy so doesnt bounce around and holds the bike secuerely. The mains cable has come away slightly at the trainer end but thats probab;y due to it getting yanked at some point. The Garmin HR monitor wont work with the flow computer. To be honest if you have an edge plus sensors you dont need a trainer with a computer. Unless your going to spend a fortune on one of the ones you can hook up to a computer i would just get a basic one that you can tweek the resistance on. I only use the flow computer to see my power output so its a cheeper option than a power meter for your bike if you want that.
    blackhands wrote:
    Get a Kinetic Road Machine - best turbo there is - and they fold up as well. I prefer mine to my Tacx i magic.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=45289

The Kinetic Road Machine looks good. If it's better than the Tacx imagic which costs a lot more than the Tacx Flow then I suppose that's probably the way forward. I may go for that and the wireless computer for power output. Thoughts?
  • Tried the Sufferfest fight club this morning depsite having a stinking head cold. Only managed 37 minutes of it though. Looks good so far though. I have bought Fight Club and Downward spiral.

Oh and another thing, why are turbotyres such a B%&tard to get on. My normal Bontrager tyres go on no problem, but I have damaged 2 inner tubes so far fitting my continental turbo tyre on!!
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    Khai wrote:
    I'm going to order my first turbo trainer ... all this talk of pain/vomit has won me over.

Problem is, what do I buy? I'll be using this in a flat on wooden floors. I'll probably buy a yoga mat or two to put it on. It'd be useful to be able to pack it away. And from the sounds of things a fan is absolutely the way forward.

So based on that, I'm thinking either:

A Tacx Flow Computer Turbo Trainer with Skyliner Support
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Tacx_Flow_Computer_Turbo_Trainer_with_Skyliner_Support/5360008834/

Tacx Satori Blue High Power Cycle Turbo Trainer Set
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Tacx_Satori_Blue_High_Power_Cycle_Turbo_Trainer_Set/5360045194/

CycleOps Jet Fluid Pro Turbo Trainer with DVD
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/CycleOps_Jet_Fluid_Pro_Turbo_Trainer_with_DVD/5360039908/

Suggestions? Would my Garmin HRM from my Edge 705 work with the Tacx Flow?

http://www.bike24.com are cheap for Tacx and I'd recommend the Flow, mine has been great.
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • Holy sh*t....I bought The Downward Spiral last night and got straight into it in the kitchen...

Best workout ever, was almost screaming in agony by the end of the first set....managed to see it right through to the end and loved it (once Id finished).

Got grief off the Mrs for quote "spraying sweat all over HER new kitchen".

Was wondering how can I really measure progress when doing this.....I only have a standard cateye computer. Cadence, distance covered in the hour? Or do I really need a powermeter?
  • Anonymous
    amochrie wrote:
    Holy sh*t....I bought The Downward Spiral last night and got straight into it in the kitchen...

Best workout ever, was almost screaming in agony by the end of the first set....managed to see it right through to the end and loved it (once Id finished).

Got grief off the Mrs for quote "spraying sweat all over HER new kitchen".

Was wondering how can I really measure progress when doing this.....I only have a standard cateye computer. Cadence, distance covered in the hour? Or do I really need a powermeter?

You could measure distance travelled or average speed as long as all other variables are kept constant such as tyre pressure, resistance etc...
  • guys

could I ask a quick que. you've convinced me on getting a turbo trainer - I'm even looking foward to (I think) the sufferfest vids!

However, I don't know which one. On the road I use a garmin forunner 305 for hrm and speed/distance type info but don't have the cadence unit. However, in the garage on a turbo, only the HRM bit is going to be any good.

I was thinking of spending about 150 on a turbo (tacx satori gets good reviews on threads including this one), then figured I'd probably need a computer to get cadence/speed and it'd need a rear sensor too.

Would I just be better buying a tacx flow which has these function as I'm pretty much happy with my garmin for info when out riding?

any advice more than welcome or if I've missed another brand of turbo which I should consider (I'd really kind of wanted a kurt kinetic but they are more cash than the satori and I'd still need to buy the cycle computer).

cheers and any advice welcome as I want to get back onto doing some miles as this weather is really not helping!
    cheers
    Matt
    Looking for a friendly & welcoming club in Warrington/North Cheshire area ?
    Try North Cheshire Clarion : http://www.northcheshireclarion.co.uk/
  • Anonymous
    mellisr1 wrote:
    guys

could I ask a quick que. you've convinced me on getting a turbo trainer - I'm even looking foward to (I think) the sufferfest vids!

However, I don't know which one. On the road I use a garmin forunner 305 for hrm and speed/distance type info but don't have the cadence unit. However, in the garage on a turbo, only the HRM bit is going to be any good.

I was thinking of spending about 150 on a turbo (tacx satori gets good reviews on threads including this one), then figured I'd probably need a computer to get cadence/speed and it'd need a rear sensor too.

Would I just be better buying a tacx flow which has these function as I'm pretty much happy with my garmin for info when out riding?

any advice more than welcome or if I've missed another brand of turbo which I should consider (I'd really kind of wanted a kurt kinetic but they are more cash than the satori and I'd still need to buy the cycle computer).

cheers and any advice welcome as I want to get back onto doing some miles as this weather is really not helping!
    cheers
    Matt

Just get the cadence unit for the Garmin! It does speed too with a magnet on the back wheel...

I have a Tacx Satori, it's good but I've not tried good ones from Cycleops, Elite or Kurt Kinetic so can't compare...

Edit - Just realised you said Forerunner 305 and not Edge... Sorry!
  • Ok, that's Downward Spiral and Fight Club now. Christ on a bike, it's hard work if you push it at max. Could happily miss off the 50's Road Safety lecture at the end of Fight Club though.

Found one minor downside. It's so cold in the shed at the moment that my iPod keeps packing up, but I still get too hot. People already think I'm nuts turboing in this weather - if I add a fan to that they might well have me committed :shock:
    It doesn't get any easier, but I don't appear to be getting any faster.
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Edit - Just realised you said Forerunner 305 and not Edge... Sorry!
    Uses the same sensor.

First turbo session of the year for me today, in the back garden. Only 20 minutes but it's a start.
  • ian_s
    ian_s Posts: 183
    You guys using the sufferfest vids - are these a program of workouts or do you use them as part of a regular plan alongside other routines?
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Quick Release Skewer...

Thanks thats has actually answered my question.

I can't use my old bike - it doesnt one of those skewers
    You don't need to use a skewer, as paul64 says trainers come with one as most bikes have them these days but if your rear wheel attaches using nuts you can get new ones for a tenner that fit into the trainer clamp.
  • thanks guys, you've just saved me a load of money as I can buy a cheaper tacx model now (prob the satori)

looked at the garmin site for forerunner 305 accessories and it confirms what infamous said that - the quote "Monitor your pedaling cadence as you ride with this self-calibrating, wireless speed/cadence sensor." only 2 types of garmin it doesnt work with!

that sorts me out

great thread by the way!

cheers
    Matt
    Looking for a friendly & welcoming club in Warrington/North Cheshire area ?
    Try North Cheshire Clarion : http://www.northcheshireclarion.co.uk/
  • Anonymous
    ian_s wrote:
    You guys using the sufferfest vids - are these a program of workouts or do you use them as part of a regular plan alongside other routines?

Just do them as part of weekly regime...
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Hey NapD
    Bought Fighting Back based on your comments
    Very impressed-made the session a lot more interesting and its still hurting :D
    Great recommendation-thanks
  • Anonymous
    MikeWW wrote:
    Hey NapD
    Bought Fighting Back based on your comments
    Very impressed-made the session a lot more interesting and its still hurting :D
    Great recommendation-thanks

Heh heh, I take it you mean Fight Club?

No worries! They are good sessions.

Not much gets the NapD seal of approval but when it does, you can be sure of quality!