Mundane Observations Thread

Comments

• When your daughter becomes a mother, your mother becomes a great-grandmother. And you become a granddad. Unless you're a woman.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    passout wrote:
    passout wrote:
    'Manage a badger' - what do you E-mail them to say that they must attend a stakeholder meeting ..................or do you 'cull' them? You're a badger killer aren't you? This is an outrage - that's not mundane at all!

Sorry - I was just baiting you.

The civil engineers would quite like to kill the badgers....but I am the badgers' friend. 8)

I work within licenses granted by Natural England - they do sometimes allow culling but I wouldn't want to be involved in that - by installing little one way doors you can force the badgers to move to another sett. Then once I've proved to NE's satisfaction that the sett is empty we'll be able to fill it in with concrete.

The other thing I'm going to be looking at is badger proof fencing to keep the little critters out for good.

We find quite a few of them dead on the tracks unfortunately - so it'll be entirely in their interest if we can stop them getting onto the underground.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Porgy wrote:
    passout wrote:
    passout wrote:
    'Manage a badger' - what do you E-mail them to say that they must attend a stakeholder meeting ..................or do you 'cull' them? You're a badger killer aren't you? This is an outrage - that's not mundane at all!

The civil engineers would quite like to kill the badgers....but I am the badgers' friend. 8)

I work within licenses granted by Natural England - they do sometimes allow culling but I wouldn't want to be involved in that - by installing little one way doors you can force the badgers to move to another sett. Then once I've proved to NE's satisfaction that the sett is empty we'll be able to fill it in with concrete.

The other thing I'm going to be looking at is badger proof fencing to keep the little critters out for good.

We find quite a few of them dead on the tracks unfortunately - so it'll be entirely in their interest if we can stop them getting onto the underground.

I'm surprised badgers can afford to get on the Underground, considering the cost of Oyster cards. :shock:
    Cycling weakly
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Porgy wrote:
    passout wrote:
    passout wrote:

I stand corrected, that really is quite mundane. I find it quite interesting though, which I guess makes me mundane. Out of interest how much does it cost 'not to kill' badgers?
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Nothing to do with badgers could ever be described as mundane. Cute, stripey, snuffly, but never mundane.

Had one trot across the road in front of me a couple of nights ago. Like a great big shambling doormat. Luckily I was just cresting a hill so there was no danger of me running it over.
  • Porgy
    passout wrote:
    I stand corrected, that really is quite mundane. I find it quite interesting though, which I guess makes me mundane. Out of interest how much does it cost 'not to kill' badgers?

In the old Metronet days this was dealt with by one of our business partners who would survey and bring in an ecologist - and it would be a fairly expensive process.

But I'm doing this in-house now so it's a whole lot cheaper. English Nature supply an ecologist free of charge and we use our own staff, and so far it's cost us nothing - though the civil engineering aspect of having to repair embankments and p-ways damaged by badgers might run into a few tens of thousands - and the badger proof fencing hasn't been costed yet.
  • ean
    ean Posts: 98
    Sunset is later than 6pm :)
    The trees lie about the wind...
    www.wirralseafishing.co.uk
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Can you badger a Badger?
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • passout
    Aggieboy wrote:
    Can you badger a Badger?

Can a dog be dogged with ill health?
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    can a flounder flounder?

Can a whale wail?

If a squirrel squirrels something away can a ferret ferret it out again?

Can a three-toed toad be towed?

Can you pander to a panda?
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    Two Liverpool "fans" have just denounced their football team in front of me and looked at me as if I might understand their plight.

Should have supported teams for a proper reason and not because they were doing well when you were a kid then. We came 15th ish a few years ago, I went to at least 10 home games that season and would still go if we were relegated.

I used to hate the Pool and Utd fans that live in London and have no connection to "their" clubs but declare their "undying" loyalty to them but you can keep the 2 bob mugs :P .
  • Porgy
    Does a horse get hoarse?
    And what does a frog get in its throat?
  • passout
    I can''t bear bears.
  • Porgy
    Try to ferret out a ferret.
    or rat on a rat.
  • Porgy
    i hope it doesn't rain tomorrow.
  • passout
    Porgy wrote:

Me too!
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    I still think about chocolate tools.
  • Porgy

you've got me started now you daft b*****d!! :evil:
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Fun innit,lol
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    I'm off to bed, got to take my daughter swimming at 5.15am. Night, night.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Porgy
    Night night.

God this gets more like Twitter every day. :?
  • passout
    passout wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

Me too!

It's 'tomorrow' and it's not raining. It's sunny.

I wonder what the real tomorrow (tomorrow) holds?
  • When you can see high tide from your kitchen window, you know that nearly every ride is going to start with an uphill bit.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    When you can see high tide from your kitchen window, you know that nearly every ride is going to start with an uphill bit.

...this would be a disturbing sight if you lived in Birmingham. :shock:
    Cycling weakly
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    skyd0g wrote:
    When you can see high tide from your kitchen window, you know that nearly every ride is going to start with an uphill bit.

And it would be completely untrue if you lived on top of any mountain from which you can see the sea!
  • rhext wrote:
    skyd0g wrote:

And it would be completely untrue if you lived on top of any mountain from which you can see the sea!

Hmmm, I think I may have to reconsider my position...
  • Porgy

31UllaYKu1L._SS400_.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    That last post is not mundane.
  • hamstrich
    hamstrich Posts: 112
    An anagram of the word 'mundane' is "nude man".
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Abba is spelt the same back to front.