Mundane Observations Thread

Comments

• passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Americans think that the English are either cruel Aristo baddies or rough cockneys with a heart of gold.

I'm both.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    passout wrote:
    Americans think that the English are either cruel Aristo baddies or rough cockneys with a heart of gold.

I'm both.

There's also a cheeky northern scally stereotype - but that might be a bit dated by now.

When I was in the US they all thought I was variously Autralian, from a different bit of American, German or scandinavian. Only one girl thought I was english and she said I sounded like I was from "that film" which I eventually found out was "american Werewolf in London". She "loved" my accent. :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I sound scottish, but look Australian when I have a tan. So Ive been told.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Regional accents are being rapidly dissipated and diluted compared to how they were a number of years ago.
    Cycling weakly
  • Anonymous
    skyd0g wrote:
    Regional accents are being rapidly dissipated and diluted compared to how they were a number of years ago.

Sorry, what are you saying ? Are you from the North ?
  • Porgy
    dmclite wrote:
    skyd0g wrote:

I think he said something about wippets.
  • skyd0g
    Porgy wrote:
    dmclite wrote:
    skyd0g wrote:

...does thee mean whippets?
    Cycling weakly
  • Anonymous
    skyd0g wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    dmclite wrote:
    skyd0g wrote:

Aye.
    Me names Arthur blackpuddin' and don't thee fogget it, reet ? Where's me tea, love?
  • Porgy
    skyd0g wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    dmclite wrote:
    skyd0g wrote:

wassat? trouble at t'mill? sorry can't work it out.
  • All the squirrels in Greenwich Park are called Joey. If there were baby kangaroos there, it could get really confusing.
  • Anonymous
    What are baby squirrels called, is it still Joey ?
  • I've never been to a squirrel christening, so I'm not entirely sure.
  • passout
    Porgy wrote:
    skyd0g wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    dmclite wrote:
    skyd0g wrote:

I have a Black Lab actually...

Southerners think that that the North doesn't have a middle class - I guess an educated, well spoken Northerner who hasn't moved to London is just too much to comprehend!
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Porgy
    passout wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    skyd0g wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    dmclite wrote:
    skyd0g wrote:

Southerners think that that the North doesn't have a middle class - I guess an educated, well spoken Northerner who hasn't moved to London is just too much to comprehend!

As somebody from the westcountry - I think in terms of regional stereotyping Northerners have it easy.

Oooarr!! Look at moi pasty!!
  • passout
    Porgy wrote:
    passout wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    skyd0g wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    dmclite wrote:
    skyd0g wrote:

As somebody from the westcountry - I think in terms of regional stereotyping Northerners have it easy.

Oooarr!! Look at moi pasty!!

Fair point. I guess you could say the same or Brummies, Welsh etc etc.
  • Porgy
    I think we need tio stop quoting each other. I remember last time people kept doing that - to find out what would happen - the thread got deleted. :lol:
  • skyd0g
    Porgy wrote:
    I think we need tio stop quoting each other. I remember last time people kept doing that - to find out what would happen - the thread got deleted. :lol:

I agree.

...whoops! :wink:
    Cycling weakly
  • passout
    skyd0g wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

I agree.

+1

It's not as funny the second time to be fair.....
  • passout
    My Dad loves red squirrels and hates grey squirrels. I guess that makes him a racist but then the doesn't read the Daily Mail so I'm not 100% sure.
  • Porgy
    My grandad was a racist because he hated black people. And he read the Daily Mail too.
  • Porgy
    passout wrote:
    skyd0g wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

I agree.

+1

It's not as funny the second time to be fair.....

It was very very funny the first time though, to be fair
  • passout
    It's snowing but it isn't settling.
  • skyd0g
    By the lack of posts here today, it looks like today is a particularly mundane day.
    Cycling weakly
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    My favourite visitor book entry:

"What a waste of completely good rooms. They should be used to provide shelter for homeless orphans!!!"

Old Parliament House (which is now a museum) in Canberra.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    skyd0g wrote:
    By the lack of posts here today, it looks like today is a particularly mundane day.

....surely if it was a particuarly mundane day, there would be more posts!
  • Porgy
    I was outside the Television Centre at Wood Lane today. I had 5 minutes to spare before a meeting and stood in the sun thinking what a glorious winters day it is.
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    passout wrote:
    My Dad loves red squirrels and hates grey squirrels. I guess that makes him a racist but then the doesn't read the Daily Mail so I'm not 100% sure.

what is your dad's take on Black squirrels ?
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... icine.html
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • skyd0g
    rhext wrote:
    skyd0g wrote:

....surely if it was a particuarly mundane day, there would be more posts!

That's all down to how you extrapolate and interpret your mundane statistics. There are lies, damned lies and there are statistics.
    Cycling weakly
  • passout
    passout wrote:

what is your dad's take on Black squirrels ?
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... icine.html

Well if they adopt the ways of red squirrels he may tolerate them...but probably not.
  • I lost my bike computer today, somewhere between taking the bike to a car, putting it in and later taking it out again, then putting it in my jacket pocket and lending it to 2 people. It was still on its first battery, too. I felt naked on the way home.