Mundane Observations Thread

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    The name comes into the English language via Mary Queen of Scots, who was visiting a French speaking country and fell ill. Marmalade was one of the dishes they brought to tempt her palate – and the phrase she overheard constantly was ‘Ma’am est malade’ (Madam is ill) which gave the name marmalade.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    Wikipedia wrote:
    According to the Oxford English Dictionary, "marmalade" appeared in English language in 1480, borrowed from French marmelade which, in turn, came from the Portuguese marmelada. According to José Pedro Machado’s Dicionário Etimológico da Língua Portuguesa[4], the oldest known document where this Portuguese word is to be found is Gil Vicente’s play Comédia de Rubena, written in 1521:

Temos tanta marmelada
    Que minha mãe vai me dar um pouco[5]
    In Portuguese, according to the root of the word, which is marmelo, "quince", marmelada is a preserve made from quinces, quince cheese. Marmelo in turn derives from Latin melimelum, “honey apple”[6] Marie turn derives from Greek μελίμηλον (melímēlon)[7].

In 1524, Henry VIII received a "box of marmalade" from Mr. Hull of Exeter[8]. As it was in a box, this was likely to have been marmelada, a quince paste from Portugal , still made and sold in southern Europe. Its Portuguese origins from marmalado can be detected in the remarks in letters to Lord Lisle, from William Grett, 12 May 1534, "I have sent to your lordship a box of marmaladoo, and another unto my good lady your wife" and from Richard Lee, 14 December 1536, "He most heartily thanketh her Ladyship for her marmalado".[9]

And every Spanish person I've talked to about marmalade thinks it's a hideous waste of good Spanish oranges :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I do like a nice spot of Marmalade. No waste of oranges in my humble opinion.

I've been told that the Marmelo root for the word is the correct origin, too. The other explanation is more amusing, however.

I can recommend a buttercream and marmalade filling for an orange flavoured 'madeira' sponge cake. A bittersweet twist on Victoria Sponge, certainly!
  • Porgy
    I have a love-hate relationship with marmalade.

But then I am part Scottish and part Spanish :D
  • Anonymous
    Thick cut shred.
  • Porgy wrote:
    I have a love-hate relationship with marmalade.

But then I am part Scottish and part Spanish :D

Does that make you Sconish or Spattish?

(I'm Britwiss, but not Swinglish)
  • Porgy
    If you include the part of me that's French and the part that's English as well I must be Franglosponnish :D
  • Anonymous
    Hmmmm.. I'm now wondering how I'd phrase my nationality:

Brit, but descended from French and Swedish grandparents/great grandparents...

I think this calls for beer and a think about it. :lol:
  • Cirrus wrote:
    Hmmmm.. I'm now wondering how I'd phrase my nationality:

Brit, but descended from French and Swedish grandparents/great grandparents...

I think this calls for beer and a think about it. :lol:

Briançeska? No, beer's a much better idea.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Marmite can split people into seperate 'lovers' and 'haters'
    ...more than is possible by a Doner Kebab at 3am.
    Cycling weakly
  • Anonymous
    No kidding re the Marmite:

My other half descends into the use of profanity at the sight of Marmite faster than he does for any other reason, AFAIK. ;-)
  • Anonymous
    Only people who like marmite will probably eat it....
  • Porgy
    I've eaten marmite in the past, but to be honest, I don't feel particularly strongly either way, except for the fact that it has extremely high salt content.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Ginger marmalade for me.

Nomnomnomnomnom.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Aggieboy
    I've just opened up a new file to put some documents into. The documents relate to beaver activity in the vicinity of one of our railway lines.

I have written in thick black ink on the front of the file "beaver file".

It pleased me far more than it should have.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Anonymous
    Aggieboy wrote:
    I've just opened up a new file to put some documents into. The documents relate to beaver activity in the vicinity of one of our railway lines.

I'd be pleased as well.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Why does vegemite instill such feelings of national pride / patriotism amongst Australians? They find it impossible to talk about this savory spread (which they always bring up ) without slagging off marmite. Is it there only source of food related pride or something or are they like that about everything (especially sport)?
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Anonymous
    passout wrote:
    Why does vegemite instill such feelings of national pride / patriotism amongst Australians? They find it impossible to talk about this savory spread (which they always bring up ) without slagging off marmite. Is it there only source of food related pride or something or are they like that about everything (especially sport)?

Nah, they just get bitter and twisted that they are only capable of doing bar work once they leave Australian air-space. It confuses them. :wink:
  • Porgy
    Aggieboy wrote:

I've had a beaver file on my hard drive for years.
  • passout
    I must rake up the leaves in my front garden today.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • passout wrote:

Autumn must have come late to Lancashire last year.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    passout wrote:

Or possibly very early.

Dammit, I've missed the summer...

...again!
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    Burning your finger hurts
  • mkirby wrote:

I suggest you repeat the experiment several times before posting your findings on here :lol: .
  • Porgy
    mkirby wrote:

Next time burn someone else's - it doesn't hurt nearly so much.
  • Aggieboy
    I just cannot get used to Softlad's new avatar.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I just sneezed while on the phone to the Oyster card people
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Anonymous
    Wind chill was awful today.
  • Since handing my notice in my work rate has declined considerably
  • passout
    passout wrote:

The leaves have been there a long time.