Mundane Observations Thread

Comments

• Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    passout wrote:
    I once lived in Nottingham - it was OK but I have no strong feelings about it.

I once went to Nottingham. I was a student, aged about 19 or 20. I went with a group of lads from my Poly and we were on our way to or back from somewhere up north - maybe Newcastle or Sheffield. One of the lads knew someone who lived in Nottingham, saw we all decided to pay a visit.

We saw Fish in the street signing autographs and I upset the one called Mark by refering to fish as "that fat tw@t" rather loudly. then we went and saw the friend who turned out to be a big Lloyd Cole fan.

I don;t remember much more than that.

I need a thread called Mundane Memory Lane. :D
  • dmclite wrote:
    Harlesden sounds quite trendy, but I'm sure the reality is disappointing.

Type harlesden into google and check the predictions, 2nd is stabbing and 3rd is Police Station.

I dont know if that means that its so common that they dont phone the Police anymore, they e mail them :shock: .
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    I don't know anyone who has been stopped in the street & asked a question by a Family Fortunes researcher. They ask 100 people a question, at least 10 questions an episode. That's 1000 people asked questions every episode.
    How many episodes in a series, say 10...10,000 people questioned per series.

Now, this programme has been on for years. At least 25. So that's 25x10,000 people asked questions for Family Fortunes.

Total people questioned = 250,000. Might not seem many in a country with nigh on 60,000,000 folk in it, but it's one in 240 people that should be asked a question for " our survey".

It's all lies. Vernon Kaye should be ashamed. I bet nobody told Monkhouse it was a big swizz.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Insomnia only affects me at night. :?
    Cycling weakly
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The word Flamboyant isn't typed or used often enough in my opinion.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    skyd0g wrote:
    Insomnia only affects me at night. :?

Perhaps you just dream that you can't sleep?
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    This thread doesn't half grow quickly if you miss one of the 'new post' notifications!
  • HungryCol
    HungryCol Posts: 532
    andy162 wrote:
    I don't know anyone who has been stopped in the street & asked a question by a Family Fortunes researcher. They ask 100 people a question, at least 10 questions an episode. That's 1000 people asked questions every episode.
    How many episodes in a series, say 10...10,000 people questioned per series.

Now, this programme has been on for years. At least 25. So that's 25x10,000 people asked questions for Family Fortunes.

Total people questioned = 250,000. Might not seem many in a country with nigh on 60,000,000 folk in it, but it's one in 240 people that should be asked a question for " our survey".

It's all lies. Vernon Kaye should be ashamed. I bet nobody told Monkhouse it was a big swizz.
    I reckon they just ask the studio audience to tick a few boxes before hand and hay presto they have a show.
    Every winner has scars.
  • Porgy
    Perhaps they ask their 100 questions a series to the same thousand people - then you only need 25,000 people for 25 series (though more like 30 as I remember watching it when I was quite young).

then only 25,000 people would be needed - some of them would now be dead or abroad- or just in denial :P

If they went back to some of the same people year after year - you could be down to as few as 12 or 15 thousand people still alive who have been questioned by FF. If all those people live in some small town somewhere that you have never visited - they may not even be English - I bet some of the questions are "borrowed" from the US version - then the likelihood of ever meeting someone who has taken part is pretty small - or nil.

My wife's family were on it a couple of times in the old bob Monkhouse days - though my wife wasn't as she was only 6 or 7....I seem to remember her telling me they won the top prize...though it never changed their lives.
  • rhext
    Maybe they ask the 100 questions to the same 1000 people every series, only asking new people when the incumbents die or finally go completely insane. Then you'd only ever have 1000 people who'd been asked the questions and your chances of meeting them would be slim indeed. Especially since they're probably already locked away for the good of society.

Maybe they just make the answers up!
  • Porgy
    rhext wrote:

surely we'd have had the FF questions scandal by now if that was the case. :D

Maybe they only ask people on terminal wards in hospitals or in hospices.
  • rhext
    Porgy wrote:
    rhext wrote:

I was thinking that if they asked the members of the two houses of parliament, they'd have pretty close to the requisite numbers of loonys, all under lock and key and none of whom you're ever likely to meet.....

And to those people who are thinking 'this isn't mundane enough', believe me, after another couple of pages it will be!
  • rhext
    There's a 'Caution, Wet Floor' sign in our office with a picture of a fish on it. Begs the question 'exactly how wet is that floor?'
  • Ive observed that my arse itch has gone
  • Porgy
    rhext wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    rhext wrote:

I was thinking that if they asked the members of the two houses of parliament, they'd have pretty close to the requisite numbers of loonys, all under lock and key and none of whom you're ever likely to meet.....

And to those people who are thinking 'this isn't mundane enough', believe me, after another couple of pages it will be!

don't worry this is plenty mundane already. We could discuss the finer points of an east-enders plot line next. :lol:
  • tomsdad
    tomsdad Posts: 221
    Porgy wrote:
    rhext wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    rhext wrote:

don't worry this is plenty mundane already. We could discuss the finer points of an east-enders plot line next. :lol:[/quote

plot?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have just spent an hour synching my sons new ipod to download a Top Gear episode. My brain hurts and everything. Also my Mrs wants to watch the TV awards. They are mundane.
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    CisQo is up for eviction. Surprising, that.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    a new tin of magnolia wont necessarily match the old one well enough. you might want to take this into account if youve got a keen eye.
  • There are also many unnecessarily different shades of beige.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    This is page 50 of the Mundane Observations Page.
    I remember the good old days of pages 7-11.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • rhext
    passout wrote:
    This is page 50 of the Mundane Observations Page.
    I remember the good old days of pages 7-11.

Yes, life was simpler then, but we were happier. Kids showed more respect, and if they didn't you just had to give them a clip round the ear. And although there were fewer channels on the telly, the programmes were much much better.

Weather was sh*te though!
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    When painting and decorating it's worth not being lazy bugger and repainting the whole room, rather than parts.

If a job's worth doing.................... :wink:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • rhext
    Aggieboy wrote:
    When painting and decorating it's worth not being lazy bugger and repainting the whole room, rather than parts.

If you're going to be a lazy bugger when painting and decorating, it's worth doing it properly and not starting in the first place.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    Aggieboy wrote:

even when repainting the whole room with more than 1 tin it sometimes doesnt match very well. :wink:
  • Aggieboy
    rake wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:

even when repainting the whole room with more than 1 tin it sometimes doesnt match very well. :wink:

When needing two or more tins of paint for a room, you can always mix them together to ensure a perfect colour match. :P
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • rhext
    Aggieboy wrote:
    rake wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:

When needing two or more tins of paint for a room, you can always mix them together to ensure a perfect colour match. :P

...or you can try to get tins from the same batch. I'm not sure if you can tell which tins belong to which batch by looking at the tin though. I'm very thorough when it comes to being a lazy bugger!
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    This thread appears to be a bit off colour.

-Spider-
  • Aggieboy
    Magnolia by JJ Cale is nice.
  • I have been roped in to assist with the FAI supporters club pub quiz tomorrow evening (free bottles of Magners all evening 8) ). Yes, the Irish football team supporters pub quiz is taking place in County Kilburn.