Commando Cyclists?

Comments

• rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    Harry B wrote:
    Always have been and always will be commando. I have noticed that some shorts tend to show your bits off better than others. White shorts are a big no no in the wet.

I'm sure I can't be the only one to have noticed this, but I've found with all my bibs that it tends to be the Italian made ones which are most guilty of this! :lol:
  • tebbit
    tebbit Posts: 604
    Hunting Bike Ninjas is the only the way to go for Commando Cyclists, its the law.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    The internal nature of the padding would be pointless with a layer in between.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    daviesee wrote:
    No, no, no, no, no!

Why on earth would you?????????

Skid marks are not an excuse, it is a hygene problem.
    And what is the difference between stained boxers and stained pad anyway?
    They both wash.

Stay clean. Go commando!

Look. It's simple.

You take off skid marked pants and wear a clean pair. You don't want to put on a pair of shorts with skidded pad at the end of the day now do you?

Also. No matter how much you wipe, there is ALWAYS some detritus, there just is.. and when you cycle you get a sweaty back which runs into the crack, or a sweaty ars* anyway. Now you have liquid detritus.

Do I need to paint a picture here? If I do... it'll be brown.

Sounds like you need to shave your anal beard.

What!? It does!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • PARIS75
    PARIS75 Posts: 85
    I don't get this aversion to wearing pants under lycra - I always have and have never chafed - plus as I have a shower at work I don't particuarly want to have any klingons transferred twixt ars* and pad thankyouverymuch

As to the pants rotation cycle

wear pants to work,
    cycle in
    shower, clean pants
    cycle home
    shower, clean pants
    wear pants to work

Two pairs a day.

simples :D

snap :D

exactly what I do ..thank christ there is some normality on here....who gives a flying feck what my gruds look like under lycra
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    PARIS75 wrote:
    I don't get this aversion to wearing pants under lycra - I always have and have never chafed - plus as I have a shower at work I don't particuarly want to have any klingons transferred twixt ars* and pad thankyouverymuch

wear pants to work,
    cycle in
    shower, clean pants
    cycle home
    shower, clean pants
    wear pants to work

Two pairs a day.

exactly what I do ..thank christ there is some normality on here....who gives a flying feck what my gruds look like under lycra

Mate - seriously. You do NOT want to positively compare yourself to me :wink: Using the word 'normality in the same sentence as well.... Social suicide. :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Kieran_Burns
    Harry B wrote:
    Always have been and always will be commando. I have noticed that some shorts tend to show your bits off better than others. White shorts are a big no no in the wet.

If its been cold and you're a bit worried about the size of "things" when you get home just have a bit of a rummage on the doorstep. Things will sort themselves out then.

Top Tip when rummaging around make sure no one can see you or it would end in arrest and your autograph on the sex offenders register :oops:

Top tip two.

Make sure it's your own house.

I still have nightmares and the site of a broom has me crying every time.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • PARIS75
    PARIS75 Posts: 85
    edited October 2009
    PARIS75 wrote:

wear pants to work,
    cycle in
    shower, clean pants
    cycle home
    shower, clean pants
    wear pants to work

Two pairs a day.

Mate - seriously. You do NOT want to positively compare yourself to me :wink: Using the word 'normality in the same sentence as well.... Social suicide. :lol:

really :mrgreen:
  • Onan
    Onan Posts: 321
    I refuse to go commando under any circumstances. I sometimes wear two pairs of pants, just in case.

You people disgust me.
    Drink poison. Wrestle snakes.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Onan wrote:
    I refuse to go commando under any circumstances. I sometimes wear two pairs of pants, just in case.

You people disgust me.

but you are ALWAYS commando under the clothes...... :shock:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Commando all the way baby Yer!!!

Other than the fact it's freeing, Lycra & similar materials are designed to be worn next to the skin...... and unless your into lycra Yfronts & Boxers a cotton barrier degates the point of wearing them....

Boxers are loose & baggy by design and usually made of cotton which is known for its water retention properties.

So basically if you wear some thing under your cycling shorts & keep them on through the day you're wearing sweaty dirty pants next to your skin (under trousers) for 8+ hours. Rather than cycling shorts for 30+mins allow them to dry out through the day, whilst wearing fresh clean underwear then 30+mins in the dried out cycling shorts on the way home again and wash.........

Each to their own but I prefer clean pants through the day and commando shorts to and from work....
  • Gotta go commando - it's what most shorts were designed and constructed for..

Wearing boxers/pants under most cycing shorts is the equivilent of putting that horrible plastic matting over your carpet or buying a really nice sofa and covering it with a rug.

The only thing you ever need to remember is to check your shorts every few months for wear as after a while there is the risk of transparency.
    FCN: 5
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    I spoke to the Castelli team at Saddleback (the UK wholesalers) and a guy there suggested wicking running under-shorts. They are close-cut, don't have a pad and will help transport sweat. Of course they preclude the use of chamois cream but for short commutes, they should do the job.

They are sold here.. http://www.underarmour.com/shop/uk/en/p ... _sell=true

"articulated performance pouch" ??? :shock:
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Look it is simple

Either

1) you wear normal pants and trousers and ride the bike or

2) You wear cycle shorts amd optionally cycle longs over the top

You do not mix and match

When you get to work you change into different clothes in the case of 2)
    In the case of 1) it depends on how much you sweat. On a short commute on a cool day I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem. On a fast ride on a warm day it would be
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    hey, just noticed - no sarajoy in this thread yet.....

(i'm with the commandos btw)
  • CdrJake
    CdrJake Posts: 296
    I've been going commando for years now, far more comfortable.

I have scared a few members of my crew over the years when they've walked into the office when I've had my shorts down.

NGale still can't come to terms with going commando when wearing her cycle shorts. She will see the light eventually.
    twitter: @JakeM1969
  • Kieran_Burns
    CdrJake wrote:

I have scared a few members of my crew over the years when they've walked into the office when I've had my shorts down.

NGale still can't come to terms with going commando when wearing her cycle shorts. She will see the light eventually.

Surely in your case it's known as going Marine?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • CdrJake
    CdrJake wrote:

Surely in your case it's known as going Marine?

Commando trained in more than one way :lol:
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Now if you were going for a run, instead of a cycle would it be commando all the way?
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • CdrJake wrote:

Why has no one picked up on this comment yet ? :)

and scarred or scared?
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    PBo wrote:

My ears are burning...

...I understand the arguments but - I just don't have the time, energy or inclination to do enough laundry to use a clean pair of shorts daily.

And umm, as we ladies have less tubing to keep our internal bits safe from the outer world, I certainly won't wear the same cycling shorts more than a day without a layer in between, we're heading for danger-of-UTIs there.

Hence thin knickers. Some of them do cause chafing - but I've learned which and now won't wear them underneath cycling shorts. I'm perfectly comfortable, thank you - so yes on riding days I will use two pairs of knickers but so what? I have tons of those, not tons of shorts...
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • CdrJake
    CdrJake wrote:

Why has no one picked up on this comment yet ? :)

and scarred or scared?

mentaly scarred that I am sure of. :lol:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I'm all for the commando approach on the bike after all that's what the lycra shorts are for now off the bike commando is good provided the weather is right, which it's not so i'm now a convert to M&S super slinky sexy lycra style tiiightttt hipster pants.

Guys if you haven't seen them get yourself some ASAP
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    sarajoy wrote:
    PBo wrote:

My ears are burning...

...I understand the arguments but - I just don't have the time, energy or inclination to do enough laundry to use a clean pair of shorts daily.

And umm, as we ladies have less tubing to keep our internal bits safe from the outer world, I certainly won't wear the same cycling shorts more than a day without a layer in between, we're heading for danger-of-UTIs there.

Hence thin knickers. Some of them do cause chafing - but I've learned which and now won't wear them underneath cycling shorts. I'm perfectly comfortable, thank you - so yes on riding days I will use two pairs of knickers but so what? I have tons of those, not tons of shorts...

Buy more shorts....

I'm not getting the point about internal bits. Those same internal bits are exposed to you nickers as they are shorts. The difference being the anti-bacterial sponge of teh shorts designed to protect ladies (and mens) soft bits. If you have enough shorts it makes no difference wearing either - probably safer in the shorts as I understand the tech...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    probably safer in the shorts as I understand the tech...

You might understand the tech of the shorts - but you need to learn more of the biology of lady parts - it can be an unforgiving world for them...
  • sarajoy
    UTIs are not pleasant at all. I'm happy doing things the way I am, ta!
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    No need to change if what you are doing works but I will still recommend you to go out and try it out at least once, it is a whole new experience in terms of comfort and I know what I am saying because I used to wear underpants with me shorts and didn’t get chaffing.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • sarajoy
    gabriel959 wrote:
    No need to change if what you are doing works but I will still recommend you to go out and try it out at least once, it is a whole new experience in terms of comfort and I know what I am saying because I used to wear underpants with me shorts and didn’t get chaffing.
    Maybe I will, if I'm independently doing a big ride some time and not just doing the run to and from work where I'd like to keep to my system of clothes and changes.

I don't understand why it's such a big deal? I mean, DDD seems practically fuming that I should have the nerve to wear knickers on parts of me which are very much my concern only.
  • sarajoy wrote:
    I don't understand why it's such a big deal? I mean, DDD seems practically fuming that I should have the nerve to wear knickers on parts of me which are very much my concern only.

Better than him wanting to buy them off you... :D
  • Harry B
    Harry B Posts: 1,239
    sarajoy wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Maybe I will, if I'm independently doing a big ride some time and not just doing the run to and from work where I'd like to keep to my system of clothes and changes.

Why not just wash the cycling shorts and the end of the day.They will dry overnight. It works for me