Commando Cyclists?

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
Just a query following on from DDD's footwear fetish....

When I started commuting i wore boxers under my cycling shorts. This meant that by time I got work, they were not the best, fresh pair for day at work, cycle shorts over them, then cycle home, and another "soiled" pair. So I was going through 3 pairs a day. Not the best.

Decided that going commando was the way forward, and it has been fine.

Are you Commandos?
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Wearing pants under cycling shorts is a big no-no.

Apart from chaffing it looks bloody stupid.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Just a query following on from DDD's footwear fetish....

When I started commuting i wore boxers under my cycling shorts. This meant that by time I got work, they were not the best, fresh pair for day at work, cycle shorts over them, then cycle home, and another "soiled" pair. So I was going through 3 pairs a day. Not the best.

Decided that going commando was the way forward, and it has been fine.

Are you Commandos?

It is the cyclists right to go commando. As long as you are positioned correctly so you don't sit on anything and your thighs don't crush anything, it is heaven.

I like it when women look. I feel mega uncomfortable when GregT looks. I really hate the aftermath of a winter commute when you take everything off to find out how cold it really is... :shock: Scared me the first couple of times that did....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    Always gone commando. It's the Law. :wink:
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • Always been commando tbh - boxers under cycle shorts is frankly weird. But as DDD says - it can take a bit of getting used to if its cold and you take em off sharpish post cycle...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Boxers under cycling shorts? No, no, no.

This may be "Commuting" rather than "Road", but we must have *some* standards.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Commando is great, the only way forward.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Only stupid people wear underpants under cycling shorts.

It must get more than a bit messy if you use Chamois cream aswell.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Wallace1492

This stuff is mythical to me, have heard of chamois cream, but never tried it.
    What flavours does it come in?, and can you spread it on toast?
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Yes you CAN spread it on toast. The Assos tastes the best. I advise LOTS of it.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345

Sudocrem is what you want. Tremendous stuff.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I don't get this aversion to wearing pants under lycra - I always have and have never chafed - plus as I have a shower at work I don't particuarly want to have any klingons transferred twixt arse and pad thankyouverymuch

As to the pants rotation cycle

wear pants to work,
    cycle in
    shower, clean pants
    cycle home
    shower, clean pants
    wear pants to work

Two pairs a day.

simples :D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    No, no, no, no, no!

Why on earth would you?????????

Skid marks are not an excuse, it is a hygene problem.
    And what is the difference between stained boxers and stained pad anyway?
    They both wash.

Stay clean. Go commando!
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Do Commando Cyclists hunt Bike Ninjas
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Why all this talk of skidmarks and klingons?? Do you people not know how to wipe your ar5e properly?? :shock:

Oh and back on topic, undercrackers and cycling shorts/lycra is just a big NO.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266

You can spread it in toast but you need to have good knife / crumb discipline.

Toast crumbs in chamois cream = grinding paste - avoid mixing your foodstuffs.

If you like It however try steel drill swarf and tabasco mixed in with deep heat down your crackers.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Wipe up not down.

You figure it out.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • My Ronhill cycling tights don't have padding so I wear Endura padded undershorts. My baggies come with padding, so yes I go commando for those.

Regarding klingons, I'm amazed by how many people weren't taught how to clean themselves down there by their parents!
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Greg T wrote:

You can spread it in toast but you need to have good knife / crumb discipline.

Toast crumbs in chamois cream = grinding paste - avoid mixing your foodstuffs.

If you like It however try steel drill swarf and tabasco mixed in with deep heat down your crackers.

LOL - you should stop it mate or I am going to fall off my chair! :lol::lol::lol:
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    I notice on my commute that a lot of women do this.
    *Not that I've been looking or anything* :lol:
  • Wallace1492
    I use a kleenex cloaking device to make my klingons disapear.
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    I wear pants, then boxers, then cycling shorts, then baggy shorts topped off with waterproof over trousers if it's raining.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • Wallace1492
    pst88 wrote:
    I wear pants, then boxers, then cycling shorts, then baggy shorts topped off with waterproof over trousers if it's raining.

Jesus...... its Brum you live, not Scotland
  • I notice on my commute that a lot of women do this.

Go commando, or have VPL? Not that I'm desperate to know or anything...
  • COMMANDO!
    Giant Reign - now sold :-(
    Rockhopper Pro - XC and commuting
    DH8 - New toy :-)
  • Kieran_Burns
    daviesee wrote:
    No, no, no, no, no!

Why on earth would you?????????

Skid marks are not an excuse, it is a hygene problem.
    And what is the difference between stained boxers and stained pad anyway?
    They both wash.

Stay clean. Go commando!

Look. It's simple.

You take off skid marked pants and wear a clean pair. You don't want to put on a pair of shorts with skidded pad at the end of the day now do you?

Also. No matter how much you wipe, there is ALWAYS some detritus, there just is.. and when you cycle you get a sweaty back which runs into the crack, or a sweaty arse anyway. Now you have liquid detritus.

Do I need to paint a picture here? If I do... it'll be brown.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425

Its a brown keyboard covered with tea and ginger nut biscuits after laughing out loud (litterally) with a gob full!!! Hahahahaha, what a mess my desk is in now!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

But at least my pantage and shorts are clean and Commando. Commando with jeans if its hot to. I hate getting sweaty knackers. Its horrible. They should be dry and smooth, not sweaty, moist and smelly! :wink:
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • Kieran_Burns
    fenboy369 wrote:

Its a brown keyboard covered with tea and ginger nut biscuits after laughing out loud (litterally) with a gob full!!! Hahahahaha, what a mess my desk is in now!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

But at least my pantage and shorts are clean and Commando. Commando with jeans if its hot to. I hate getting sweaty knackers. Its horrible. They should be dry and smooth, not sweaty, moist and smelly! :wink:

two posts and two coffee/keyboard moments. This is a personal best :D

I shall wander off and be excellent elsewhere 8)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    I feel mega uncomfortable when GregT looks.

It's the way he starts to reorganise himself while he's looking that's unnerving.

Have you noticed how he always smells his fingers after reorganisations?

Always decline if he asks whether you want to smell his fingers. That's my advice.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • On topic for a moment - my current longs are padless so I wear undershorts with a pad. I am about to order Castelli longs which do have a pad, I have also had to have the "commando or pants" debate.

I don't have a long commute but the main issue is that I have to spend about 45 mins walking around a very crowded Farmer's Market before the return trip. I am not quite at that point in my life where I want to provide the level of entertainment/shock to the public that Castelli longs permit.

I spoke to the Castelli team at Saddleback (the UK wholesalers) and a guy there suggested wicking running under-shorts. They are close-cut, don't have a pad and will help transport sweat. Of course they preclude the use of chamois cream but for short commutes, they should do the job.

They are sold here.. http://www.underarmour.com/shop/uk/en/p ... _sell=true

Now what I want to know is what is with the male model they are using? That guy has a steel butt!

*hides while all the girls stampede off to look at the "rear" shot of the shorts*
  • Harry B
    Harry B Posts: 1,239
    Always have been and always will be commando. I have noticed that some shorts tend to show your bits off better than others. White shorts are a big no no in the wet.

If its been cold and you're a bit worried about the size of "things" when you get home just have a bit of a rummage on the doorstep. Things will sort themselves out then.

Top Tip when rummaging around make sure no one can see you or it would end in arrest and your autograph on the sex offenders register :oops: